Chapter 16

Iridescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, Winter 2015

 

Joong Ki was standing in front of his sister’s apartment, pressing the doorbell twice. It was 8 am and he doubted that Ji Hyo already woke up. He knew his sister so well, and she definitely wasn’t a morning person especially when she was on a day-off like today. Much to his surprise, Ji Hyo only took a minute to open the door for him. Joong Ki looked at Ji Hyo with shock, his finger still on the doorbell. He hastily removed his finger from the doorbell when Ji Hyo gave him a questioning look and told him to come inside.

“Nuna, it’s odd to see you already move from your bed on this hour.” He said, “You usually wake up earliest at 10 am.”

“I’m up bright and early today because I have something to do.” She glanced at Joong Ki, “Did you have your breakfast?”

“Not yet.” Joong Ki shook his head.

“Great! Now, you sit down on the couch and I will bring foods for your breakfast.” Ji Hyo disappeared to the kitchen.

Joong Ki was puzzled with Ji Hyo’s behavior. He knew that Ji Hyo could cook, because she usually cooked for them and it tasted good but she never did it so early in the morning, thanks to her sleeping habit. He thought that something wasn’t right. He would ask her but he was sure that Ji Hyo would tell him if she wanted him to know. Ji Hyo was his dear older sister, and he wanted to protect her but he also had to respect her privacy.

“Here’s come your breakfast!” Ji Hyo came with a tray full of foods, she put it on the coffee table, and Joong Ki inspected the contents. There was a bowl of rice, a bowl of braised spicy chicken, two rolls of kimbap, a plate of scallion pancake and a lots of side dishes.

“Nuna, isn’t this too much for breakfast?” He looked at Ji Hyo, confused.

“Just eat and you have to tell me honestly about the taste of every foods.” She sat beside him and waited for his feedback impatiently.

“How is it?” She asked him when he was already finished eating.

“Nuna, all of them taste so delicious!” He told her, “I think it’s less salty than usual so the flavor is a bit bland but it’s still good.”

“Well, I’m happy that you like it.” She smiled.

“Now it’s your turn to be honest to me, nuna.” His face turned serious, “For whom you wake up so early in the morning today and cook all this foods?”

“My boyfriend.” She answered him.

“You have a boyfriend and you haven’t let me know, nuna? You’re too much.” He said, pretending to look so dejected.

“I just haven’t have a chance to tell you. You’re so busy with your filming and I don’t want to disturb you.” She justified her reason.

“So, who’s the lucky guy?”

Ji Hyo was hesitated to tell Joong Ki that her boyfriend was Jong Kook. Joong Ki didn’t like Jong Kook because he blamed him for breaking her heart in their past relationship as he only heard the story from Ji Hyo’s side. She knew that he didn’t want her to involve with Jong Kook again but she made her choice.

“It’s Kim Jong Kook.” She finally said it.

Joong Ki was taken aback with her confession, “That Jong Kook hyung? You’re getting back with him?” She nodded.

“Nuna, you don’t learn from your mistake, do you?” He said, accusingly.

“It will be fine this time, Joong Ki –yah. Well, it’s been already 5 years since our break up and people changed, including me and Jong Kook oppa. We’re changing to be better persons, we’re trying to make this relationship work and better than before.” Ji Hyo defended her decision.

There was an uncomfortable silence between them before Joong Ki finally told her, “I don’t want to see you get hurt again, nuna.”

“Don’t worry about it, Joong Ki –yah, because I won’t.” She said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter