Going Out

Mail Order Leo

The day progressed smoothly, if slowly. Leo came back with damp towels but it did nothing for the fog in your mind. By noon, however, you were feeling a bit better; Leo took your temperature and, though you were still sick, pronounced you happily fever-free.

Of course, it mattered little to you; you still felt terrible. Leo relaxed a good amount though. You began to think about what would have happened if you weren’t around, if something happened then. What would Leo do? How would he even know? If you got in a car accident and never came home, how would he find out? The thought sent you into more of a panic than the sickness did. What would happen to Leo if something happened to you?

He finally got you to eat, simple oatmeal at your request, and you stirred it around your bowl unhappily. “Leo,” you began, musing, “do you want to come out to the store with me in a little while?”

“Today?!” Leo’s startled voice drifted back to you from where he was in the living room. After he had cooked, he went back to fold all of the blankets he had taken out earlier. You would have to talk to him about the differences between a “servant” and… Whatever he now categorized as. “You shouldn’t go out, the fever only broke a few hours ago, it could easily come back–” he came to sit next to you in the kitchen, chores forgotten. “What do you need? Maybe I can do it for you…”

“It’s just a cold, Leo, it’s really nothing to worry about. And we have a couple things to set up that need both of us.” You wouldn’t say it, but the fact that you were sick made it seem even more imperative that you went.

“Well…” He clearly didn’t like the idea. Would he give in to you anyway? You took a small bite of the oatmeal to appear well. He sighed, giving up.

“Alright, but if you seem tired we’re coming back.”

“Great, give me a minute to get dressed.” You stood from the chair and slid your bowl next to the sink, heading back to your bedroom. He was saying something, but you closed the door on him; he already said yes, he couldn’t change it now.

You were feeling better, but certainly not 100 percent. Before you went to your closet you stopped at your nightstand, where the medicine Leo had gathered was still all there. You picked up a bottle, read the label, and downed three. The last thing you wanted was to frighten Leo back home if you were looking pale, which you probably already were. A little bit of water sitting in a glass there was enough to clear your throat. You went about getting dressed, careful to choose something comfortable in case you were out for a while. You pulled open your door; Leo, who kept some of his clothes in the living room, was ready. You slid on your shoes and grabbed your purse.

“Let’s go.”

Leo was obviously concerned; but when you got to the store, his eyes lit up just a little. “What… Do you need here?” He asked curiously. You gave him a small smile as you pushed the door open.

“Actually, this one is for you.”

He hurried after you as you walked in, going straight to the counter to add a phone to your plan. He followed you, looking at the displays.

“Pick one, it’s yours. I need to be able to contact you, you know.”

He was a little shocked, you thought, but he came over and gave you a little hug gratefully. The assistant was looking something up; you were, for just a moment, uninterrupted.

“Thank you,” he whispered in your ear. Then he went off to scour the phones.

“Alright miss,” the attendant said as they returned, “you’re looking to add a second phone to your plan?”

As you set it up, Leo looked around the store. Luckily no one else was there, so you didn’t have to worry about losing him in a crowd. You turned back around the counter, signing paperwork. Leo would always come to find you anyways.

“Okay, Leo, did you pick one out?” It was time to add it to the plan and set it up. You turned to him expectantly.

“Yeah,” he said, and named the model. The attendant went to get the box; you furrowed your brow. It sounded awfully familiar. When the box came and Leo opened it, turning on the new phone, you realized why; it was the same as yours. Yours was silver, and his black, but they were still the same. You smiled a bit as you looked at his face. He had, most definitely, done that intentionally.

He caught you staring, and gave a smile back. “It’ll remind me of you,” he said softly, and a blush colored your cheeks immediately. You were going to be the only one messaging him anyway, he didn’t need to be reminded of you! A little tendril of happiness crawled through you at the thought of Leo wanting to think of you, and you but your lip to hold back a smile. The attendant was showing Leo how to work the phone, so his attention was occupied, but you didn’t want him to know home much he affected you.

“And this is how you access any internet, things like that, which will use your data. A more thorough walk through can be found at our website. Is that everything?”

“Yes,” you said as the assistant opened up the conversation to you. You took a bag with the empty box inside and motioned for Leo to put the phone in his pocket. You were done here. “Thank you.” You headed out of the store, next place already on your radar.

“Hey,” Leo said, forcing you to slow down and turn around as you exited. He walked up to you happily. “Thank you.” He took your free hand in his, squeezing it gently before leaning down and kissing you sweetly. “I’ll call you everyday.”

You went up on your toes after he pulled away and kissed him just one more time, as if that would satisfy you. “How about a kiss everyday instead?” You joked; Leo cupped your face in his hands.

“For you, I’d do much more than that everyday.” He kissed you again.