It's Good To be Back... Maybe not?

While You're Waiting

*KI BUM’S POV*

My alarm clock rang. It was a sign of a new beginning, a new chapter... it was that something I had been waiting a long time for. I stood up and sighed deeply, fully, calming myself as best I could. Today would be my come back in the premises of SM Entertainment. I took my precious time to get ready for my somewhat major come back, which was basically me returning to the rest of the members of Super Junior.

My mind wandered off a bit to memories the group and I shared. Smiling, I decided to go and return to where I should belong... did I even belong? As I stepped out of my apartment, a black, shiny car parked across the street came into view. There was a man standing next to it in black suit. A very familiar looking man. Taking that deep breath again, I tousled my hair and made my way over to him, my heart racing behind my somewhat calm demeanor. He flashed a soft, genial smile as I bowed to greet him before opening the door and urging me inside. The whole trip was awkwardly silent as I looked out the window, trying to ease the tension building inside me. I seemed to have just started drifting off when I felt the ride come to a full stop.

There it was... the SM building was just a couple meters away. It felt.. weird, being back that is. Despite the fact that I had been there before, I felt as if I was stepping onto uncharted territory as the soles of my feet had made contact with the cold concrete of the sidewalk. Thanking the driver, I lugged my suitcase out of the car myself and trudged up the pathway towards this skyscraper of a building.

The moment I entered the lobby I knew something was up. The atmosphere surrounding the place just seemed...off. I couldn’t place my finger on it right then and there but something just seemed so cold, so... uninviting, opposite of the vivacious nature that it had had before. I looked around, noticing everyone was completely busy preparing Super Junior’s come back. I smiled, hoping someone would notice me. A familiar face was coming towards me, but his expressions were stiff and hard.

“Hey, Kibum,” Eunhyuk said passing by me. “You’re back then?”

I nodded. “Yeah, for a while at least,” I replied putting down my suitcase in the hall. I was about to start a chat with him but the moment I lifted my head, he was gone.

It was strange. Eunhyuk was usually really friendly to me. What was up with the sudden change? Shrugging it off I made my way through to the living space; the fact that it hadn’t changed a bit made it seem somewhat comforting. It had been almost a year since I had last been here, I had decided to pursue my acting but I felt I needed to come back for Super Junior’s new album, so here I was.

Dragging my case behind me I walked over to my old bedroom, to the room which I used to share with Siwon.  Knocking on the door I heard someone shuffle about inside and waited till Siwon opened it.

He looked as ruggedly handsome as ever but his expression was...distant. I’m sure he wants to tell me something but I can’t read it. “Ah, Kibum,” he said presenting me into the room. “How long are you staying?”

“Just till our next promotion is over,” I replied entering the room and placing my case on the vacant bed. “Then I’m going to go back. You’ve been acting as well, haven’t you Siwon-ah?”

His only response? A mere nod in affirmation, showing no signs of a continuation of our conversation. He then left the room without uttering another word.

“What the heck is it with everyone?” I asked myself quietly, as I opened my stuffed case. On top of the pile was a collection of photos, ones we had taken when Super Junior had just debuted. I took them everywhere with me, sort of to remind me of home. Passing my eyes over a photo of all thirteen of us, I noticed one person in particular who I had returned especially to see.

Lee Donghae, one of my closest friends from the group. I had yet to see him in the building. “We haven’t seen each other since our last concert... I wonder how he is?” He’d been acting strange with me ever since I left, not that I was or should have been surprised. I didn’t exactly give him much of a warning beforehand.

After sorting through all of my things I went back through to the living space, where everyone now was.  It seemed everybody had come back from their schedules and were doing their own thing again, just like old times. The only difference was I wasn’t properly greeted when I entered, like old times. No hug, no pat on the shoulder.. nothing. Kyuhyun-hyung passed me by, laptop in hand, without even a backwards glance. Bitter tension was in the air.

“Hey everyone,” I exclaimed, trying to get their attention. “I’m back.”

..................................

Nothing, they didn’t even turn around, nor acknowledge the fact I was even present. This was, indeed, rather...derogatory. Nothing felt more painful to me now than being ignored.

Donghae walked in through the kitchen, his eyes glancing in my direction. I waved my hand but he just gave me a seething look; I lowered my hand and glanced away.

“What are you doing back?” He said, a hint of sarcasm laced through his voice. “I thought you went to be an actor.”

“Well,” I replied a little hurt at this reception. “I’m back for the next album and after that, who knows.”

“Big whoop,” he said before leaving me and going into his room.

I don’t know what to say...What exactly is going on with everyone? Are they unhappy to see me? I thought we were friends. Has so much changed in the time I’ve been gone.

What happened to us?