Book 1: Chapter 3

Siblings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Book 1: Chapter 3

The Match

  

Sooyeon fixes her younger sister’s helmet on, making last minute adjustments before their pro-bending fight. Soojung simply smiles at her sisterly affection. “You know, sis, I can handle this myself.” Soojung says as she straightens her helmet after Sooyeon is done fixing it on her. The older one sighs, “I just want to make sure that you’re fine, even if we’ll both be at the opposite ends of the arena.” The younger one chuckles and tackles her sister into a hug. “I love you, sis.” Sooyeon pats her back as she returns the hug, pulling away to check on Soojung’s gear one last time before they head for the secluded courtyard where their makeshift arena stood.

 

“As much as this is a match to settle our different views, Soojung, I want you to be careful and tell me if you’re hurt and I will stop the fight.” Sooyeon says before she turns and heads back to the other side. Soojung’s eyes lock with her sister’s back, admiring her older sibling more for her overly caring nature. Lips purse into a smile as she settles on the platform. The officiator stands at the center and addresses the two opponents.

 

“Your Highnesses, please be reminded of the rules. For Princess Sooyeon, no ice bending and no blood bending. You are to use purely water in your bending. As for Princess Soojung, no lightning bending and no explosive blue flame bending. Disqualification will be placed on the competitor who breaks these rules. Are we clear, Princesses?” Both sisters nod and bow at the officiator. The referee blows the whistle once the officiator leaves the arena’s grounds.

 

Soojung wastes no time in blasting balls of fire towards her sister. Sooyeon nimbly evades them with her incredible footwork, spinning in circles like an airbender, tilting backwards to avoid the perilous flames. A grin appears on Soojung’s face as she notes her sister’s reserved nature. “You’re saving your breath, huh?” Soojung manages to blurt as she pauses her barrage of fire balls, chest heaving from her fiery exertions. Sooyeon lowers her hands, standing still as she locks gazes with her younger sibling.

 

“I prefer waiting for the right time to strike.” Sooyeon retorts as she places an arm behind her, willing the water to slip from its reservoir on the platform and swirl onto her hand. “Waterbending is all about balance, harmony, and being able to go with the flow.” She says as she extends her hands, revealing her watery whip and sending it towards the unsuspecting Soojung. The firebender reacts just in time as she tilts her upper torso backwards, missing the fluid whip just by a hairline. Soojung recovers from her sister’s attack by moving her body sideward, spinning her torso and eliciting flames to erupt in a deadly spiraling motion from her feet. Sooyeon jumps up, evading the hot flames, shielding herself with water as she lands on the platform just as the second wave of flames hit her. Smoke forms as fire and water collide, creating mist and partially clouding Sooyeon’s vision.

 

Soojung takes this as an opportunity to strike, sending strong shards of fire towards the other side of the arena amidst the smoke. Sooyeon stretches out her arms, spinning the water into a swirling wall to shield herself from the strong flames. She is pushed backwards by the sheer force of her younger sister’s attacks and she grimaces as her foot traverses the line bordering the second zone of the playing field. Another powerful flame hitting her, and she will slip down to the second zone.

 

The smoke clears and Soojung sees her older sister still holding out from her assaults. Eyes note the heel of her older sibling treading the borderline between the first zone and the second. A smirk plays on the young firebender’s lips as she plays with the flames in her palms before she shoots them towards her sister, who seems to be bracing the attack.

 

Sooyeon slips her upper body backwards before she moves it sideward and manages to send a huge mass of water towards an unwary Soojung. The older Jung then manages to slam her own body forward, huffing as she watches Soojung take the hit of her watery wave. A beep sounds as Soojung falls into the second zone of the field. Sooyeon gets up with a triumphant smile etched on her face.

 

“Someone’s being cunning.” Soojung comments as she gets into position. Sooyeon shrugs as she steps past her zone and readies her defense. The referee announces the winner for the first round, “Princess Sooyeon wins the first round!” The two princesses focus more on each other as the referee sounds the whistle and drops the flag, “Round two! Fight!”

 

Soojung becomes more aggressive this time as she throws fireballs with her fists and jumps up, spinning and sending a massive whirl of flames over to her sister’s side. Sooyeon takes hits from the fierce flames, crossing her arms to shield herself from the deadly fire. She bends down for a bit and straightens up, summoning a huge wall of water before spinning in place to send a massive wave over to Soojung’s side.

 

The young firebender’s fists tighten as she maintains her stand and with two fists, produces a gauntlet of fire to counter her sister’s assault. Water vaporizes as it meets fire and the steaming body of the young princess leaves Sooyeon huffing in displeasure.

 

“This is not getting us anywhere, Soojung.” Sooyeon states as she takes a quick side step from a rogue fire ball that Soojung shoots. The waterbender sends a quick splash of water in retaliation only for the firebender to dodge by jumping in place. “You can surrender if you want, sister.” Soojung retorts back as she unleashes a fiery whip, which Sooyeon counters with her own fluid one.

 

Steam evaporates as the match remains a heated stalemate. Both fighters are now a little weary from their bending exhibitions. None plan on backing from the fight. Sooyeon, although a true waterbender since young, is as stubborn as her younger sibling and has a bit of a firebender’s will in her. Northern Water Tribe people often regard her as the second Katara, who happens to be her ancestor. Soojung, on the other hand, is a firebending prodigy and was a stark reminder of what Princess Azula could have been had the crazed Fire Princess been a good person. The Fire Nation locals often regard her as the next Dragon, a title once held by her great grand uncle and Fire Lord Ozai’s older brother, General Iroh.

 

+++

 

Word about the two princesses dueling it out on one of the Fire Nation Palace’s courtyards spread throughout the courts of the palace and some nobles came to witness the fight. They take their places at the open walkways overlooking the courtyard where the pro-bending match is currently happening. Each of the spectators begins placing bets on who is to win the fight. Even some of the palace guards end up joining the ranks of the audience.

 

It did not take long before news of the two princess’ pro-bending match reach Yunho’s ears. The heir to the Fire Nation throne, who is currently in the middle of a card game disguised as a council meeting with the officers, gets startled when a soldier bursts through the door and tells them of the news. The generals, curious of the small duel, barely contain their excitement as they reason out with Yunho to postpone the game and watch his sisters fight instead.

 

“We might learn something from their duel, Your Highness. This match might even provide wisdom on how we will train our soldiers.” One of the generals explains as Yunho palms his face, knowing full well that the generals only meant to fill their curiosity on how the two young prodigies, who were his younger siblings, would duke it out. Deep inside, he is also excited in seeing his siblings battle it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter