Book 1: Chapter 2

Siblings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Happy Birthday, xiaoppa! Hope you'll like this update. hehe. Have a blast! :D - Rikai and Cookie. :3

+++

 

Book 1: Chapter 2

The Heritage

 

Sooyeon rubs her temple as she stares at the documents in front of her.  When she agreed to assist she thought it meant attending the meetings with her father. Or visiting the city with her father and mingling with the people of the Fire Nation. Or even better meeting the Avatar. And not being cooped up in her brother’s office for more than a week. Not sitting in Yunho’s office at the palace and sorting through pages and pages of documents. Requests for development. Military approval. A heavy sigh escapes from between the waterbender’s lips. She should have known better than to trust Yunho. He was just like Soojung. He couldn’t take things seriously when it was time to do so.

 

They both have this sudden urge to be free. And that’s exactly what they were. Free. Running amuck somewhere. Probably ruining the Fire Lord’s reputation. Their family reputation. She sets her pen down on the desk. It was no wonder why their mother was excited when it became time for her and her siblings to finally begin working in the Palaces. Jihoon was a tad bit more mature than Yunho. And he knew when it was a time to be serious and when not to.

 

Pushing her chair back, she stands and heads for the door. Her first step out into the hallway and the guards stationed at her door were right behind her, following her down the corridor. “Will one of you please remain at the door, should anyone come and look for me? I, myself, will be outside getting some fresh air and looking at the turtle ducks.”

 

“Yes, Princess Sooyeon.” Footsteps echo as her feet carry her throughout the corridor maze. The shades of red, blacks, and gold weigh heavily on her, making her miss the hues of blue and white. As much as the Fire Nation runs through her blood, Sooyeon will not lie for she was a waterbender through and through. A few portraits catch her eyes and she comes to a halt, spinning to face the paintings.

 

“Marvelous, though some would disagree.” The waterbender glances over her shoulder to see her father approaching. “Every Fire Lord that can be accounted for, has their picture upon this wall…this hall.” She turns back, setting her eyes upon the portrait of Fire Lord Izumi. “The first female Fire Lord, or so our history has told us.”

 

Sooyeon hums before responding. “Azula would have become Fire Lord; Ozai would have been Phoenix King…and the world would have turned into Chaos as the Fire Nation ruled supreme. The world would have been thrown off balance.”

 

A low chuckle sounds and Sooyeon faces her father again. “But Avatar Aang interfered. Our ancestor Zuko chose to walk a different path and with that, the Fire Nation was reborn anew. We are no longer the menace that our forefathers graciously sought us as.” He takes a stance beside his eldest daughter and gazes up at his ancestors. “So you do not have to worry about what could have happened. But instead worry about today and the future we are destined to meet.” He takes a deep breath. “I apologize if things are not as great as they should be. You were always your mother’s child. A naturally gifted waterbender. I am sure the Royal Palace is not as great as you would expect.” Sooyeon quickly shakes her head. It was different from what she is used to, but it was still her home just as the Northern Water Tribe’s Palace is her home.

 

“You do not have to lie, Sooyeon.” He smiles at her, “Your mother wasn’t very fond of the Palace as well. She says the colors are too dark and disheartening.” He looks around the hallway, “From an outsider’s point of view it is.” He looks back at her. “How are you doing? I hope the amount of work is not too much for you.” She shakes her head again. “I apologize for Yunho. He should have not tricked you into doing his work. Crowned Prince…and yet he still acts like a kid sometimes. What am I to do with him?”

 

“Soojung is the same.” He raises a brow. His youngest daughter, the firebending prodigy, is just like her older brother. “She’s been off making trouble ever since we arrived at the palace. I would not be surprised if she was dragged in by the guards within the next few minutes.”

 

“At least you and Jihoon are the mature ones.” A pause, “How is Jihoon? I have not seen him in ages. I wish he would come visit sometime. The Fire Nation is as much his home as is the Northern Water Tribe.”

 

Sooyeon begins walking and the Fire Lord takes up pace beside her. “He is always working. As he is now old enough to be Chief, he wishes to take up the position within the next year. Mother worries over him as well. She wishes he would get out more often and see the world. Or at least the Southern Water Tribe before he becomes Chief. I believe he is finally going to go to Republic City. Well he has to. You will be there as well since the President has called a meeting with all of the Nation Leaders. You will see him there. He will more than likely be ecstatic to see you.”

 

“I hope he will be.”

 

“Excuse me, Your Highnesses. Your Grace, an urgent matter has come up and you need to look at it, Sir.” The Fire Lord gives his eldest daughter an apologetic smile.

 

“It is okay, father. We can speak more some other time.”

 

+++

 

Hands press against the wooden crate as she peers out over the top. Biting her bottom lip, she watches as the group of firebenders pack stuff in the back of a truck. Brows furrow and she sighs. She had been spying on the group for a while now. Ever since she overheard them talking about Republic City. What interested her more was the words: Triple Threat. For Soojung was no mere idiot and she knew what Triple Threat was. It was the name of one of the gangs that wrecked havoc all over Republic City in the past before Avatar Korra had stepped in and broke things up.

 

But it was also well known that the Triple Threat were still pretty much

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter