Chapter 1 : Knew each other's name

The Bodyguard

And so finally, after Kibum handled everything, Minho got the job on Park Household. As a bodyguard.

Why?

Let’s see the reason from 2 different angles.

Minho requested Kibum any kind of job in that family and want to do that with a secret identity, at least keep it as a secret from Park’s family, because there’s no way for him to keep it low about this job from his grandfather, the old man is way too smart. Why? Because he wants to know what kind of girl the youngest Park is, knowing that the young lady purposedly to be with him.

Yeah, silly, isnt it? In this century, there’s still a situation of match-Nanang like this. But he has no choice. His grandfather raised him to be a man of his words and also a man who will accept his life path. For Minho, it means to work in a diplomatic field and marry Park’s granddaughter like their grandfathers had promises many years ago.

But why as a bodyguard? Kibum told Minho that this is the only job that he can get, but actually it’s not like that. It’s only because Kibum wants Minho to be serious somehow. He loosen up too much as he lives in L.A, and of course, he wants Minho to practice his martial arts again. Kibum maybe 1 year younger as Minho always called him ‘younger brother’ or ‘little boy’, but he also as smart and maybe more mature than Minho himself.

So.. after Kibum practically dragged Minho out from his apartment, he took him to Park Household mansion’s gate.

‘’Amazing.’’

Kibum chuckled. ‘’Stop pretending like that. You know how big their house is.. it’s not that different than yours.’’

Minho smirked, ‘’Ah yeah.. I forgot about that since I used to live in a small flat near downtown L.A.’’

‘’Stop talking about that city or you might never gonna forget it.’’ his childhood friend suggested it as he added, ‘’And… forget her.’’

‘’I’m not thinking about her.’’ Minho said stubbornly.

‘’Good, because she’s out of your reach now.’’ then Kibum gave him a tie, ‘’I told you to wear this.’’ He also try to get the bodyguard job for Minho so then he can push him to wear a formal suit, to make him feel comfortable wearing something like that, well, Minho has to, if he’s gonna be a diplomat one day, right?

‘’Yeah yeah.. thank you, sir.’’ Minho mocked him. ‘’You seems a lot older than me nowadays.. so becareful.’’

‘’Don’t you know who made me like this? Really.’’ Kibum said but then he laughs, ‘’Good luck. But I think you didn’t need it. She might be an Agasshi (young princess-like), but she’s still a girl, right? Use your charm and you will be fine.’’

Minho just nodded and after Kibum’s car left, he chuckled, ‘’really.. he begin to be like his father.’’

-------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in her pavilion, Jihyun is dialing a number. And for the 2nd times, no one answering. She tries again, and there’s a click sound. She’s so happy, but when she opened to talk,

‘’Hello?’’ a woman’s voice answered. Jihyun automatically turned off the phone as she tossed it angrily to the sofa.

‘’I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!’’ she yelled. ‘we were just having a fight last week and now he already have a new girl.’

Suddenly, there’s a knock on her door.

‘’Jihyun Agasshi? Your father calls you.’’ one of the maid called her.

Jihyun actually wants to shout but she handles her anger and just nodded.

But 5 minutes later, the anger came out again because she cant believe it. Her parents actually get a bodyguard for her. Bodyguard. Oh, my God. Can she be more doomed than this?

‘’I’m staying only for Nee-chan’s wedding, and why I should have so-some stranger to follow me around like that?!’’

‘’Okay, it’s not only for your own safety, but actually, he can accompany you to places in Seoul, you’re not familiar to the city, right?’’ her father try to calmed her down as her mother already gave up.

Jihyun just stormed out from the room without saying yes or no, but she still heard her mother said sorry to the young man who will be in charge to be her bodyguard, because Jihyun yelled and saying that she doesn’t want to have a bodyguard earlier.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minho threw himself to the sofa and loosen up his tie. He really feels uncomfortable wearing a suit like this, but Kibum said that he has to.

Dasom-san, the maid in charge came to brought some food for him yesterday. From her, he found out that the spoiled Agasshi –yeah, he called her that because of what he saw from her—also came from L.A too.

‘’you can call me Minhwan.’’ he told Dasom-san when she walked out from the room, and also reminded himself, ‘remember Minho, until the time is right, you are not Minho, you’re Minhwan.'

He’s kinda surprise to know that both of them are actually so close all of this time.

10 years ago, when his grandfather offered him to try to live on his own, he doesn’t know what the old man’s plan. But as he reached 20, he was informed that he’s going to have Park’s youngest one as his future-wife.

That’s why..

Then he opened his phone, where the LED monitor shown the picture of four-leaves clover. That’s why, he realized that he and Shin Hye really are not meant to be.

Park Shin Hye, a daughter from diplomatic staff from U.S, who befriended with him when he went into junior high in International school in Jakarta. Her father is American, but her mother is Korean. Who would have thought that she also went to L.A to attend high school with him?

She was his first love, but then turned into bestest friend, after she found out that someone out there was already promised to be with Minho. She let him go, just like that. She’s so easy-going, just like him. And now, as she was going out with Minho’s American friend, she still said that Minho is the one that she will always be missing.

‘Yeah.. I will miss you too, Shin Hye-ah.’ Minho said to himself as he remembered, he laughs at her back then, when she said she doesn’t know about the legend of four-leaves clover.

‘’Who’s out of all the people in the world that didn’t know about the lucky four-leaves clover??’’ he said to her at that time.

‘’Me.’’ she said it, challenged him. ‘’What’s so wrong about that? And how about you, who told you about the legend?’’

Minho just shrugged at that time, but now, he’s smiling as he saw the picture once again, ‘’I might just read from many stories, or anything.. silly girl.’’

Wanting to have a fresh air, he went out to the balcony as he grabbed a pack of cigarette.

------------------------------------------------

Jihyun remembered about what Jonghyun Oppa said to her, if she needed a company, she can call his girlfriend, Sekyung Unnie. So then she want to contact her to arrange a meet up.

But before she did it, her phone is ringing.

Could it be… but no, it’s not him. It’s her baby cousin.

‘’Jihyun Noona!’’

‘’Hey you.’’ she laughs.

‘’Or should I call you Bebe?’’

Jihyun laughs again, ‘’Really.. you’re younger than me, spoiled brat!’’

21 years old Lee Taemin laughs,’’Yeah, right, only separated by 2 months.’’

‘’How do you know im here in Seoul?’’

‘’Who else? of course Auntie told my mom.’’

Taemin is Jihyun’s younger cousin from her mother’s family. He’s not entering college as he started his career as an actor a couple of years ago.

‘’So tell me about your job. Surely there are so many pretty young girls around you, right?’’

‘’Yeah, but I prefer the mature ones.’’

Taemin never failed on entertaining his older cousin. Jihyun will continuously laughing when she talks with him.

‘’Hey, where do you gonna go today? Why don’t we go somewhere.. it’s been a while since I met you! I’ll ask Noona to join us.’’ Taemin’s older sister, Nana, is the same age as Jihyun.

‘’Hm.. good idea.’’ but then Jihyun sighed as she remembered about the bodyguard. So she told Taemin about it. And just as she thought, he laughs really hard. ‘’Auntie and Uncle really aware about Seoul’s criminal rate nowadays, huh? Well, I think it’s a good idea..’’

‘’But I feel like in prison! Hey, why don’t you just help me get out from this place?’’

‘’Sorry, Noona.. I actually in the TV station right now, so why don’t you just ask that bodyguard of yours to take you to somewhere place, and then we meet up?’’

‘’No, I wont. In L.A I can do anything by myself, why cant I do that in my own country?’’ she said stubbornly.

But Taemin even more, ‘’Why? I presumed the bodyguard is like an old man, so you wouldn’t want to get caught followed by him around, eh, Bebe?’’

‘’Taemin!!’’ Jihyun shrieked.

He laughs, ‘’Joking.. so what’s you plan?’’

Jihyun breathe heavily, ‘’I want to do some shopping. Stupid Haruma really pissed me off.’’

Taemin seems interested, ‘’who’s this Haruma?’’

‘’I really don’t want to talk about him, Taem.’’ Jihyun said as she took grey jeans from the wardrobe.

‘’Ah, but it’s a good idea, You know that Nana Noona’s boutique, right? It’s in Dongdaemun.. you can used car navigation.’’

Jihyun smiled a bit, ‘’thanks, Haru-chan.. you really are my savior.’’

He’s laughing, ‘’it’s my pleasure, Bebe.’’

‘’Damn it, Taemin.. being an actor really makes you a lady’s man.’’

‘’You’ll see when we meet later.’’ her cousin still joking before he hangs up.

As Jihyun closed her phone, she smiled and said to herself, ‘at least I have some people that I can trust.’

-----------------------------------------------------------

About 15 minutes later, after running away from her bodyguard, got chase but she can bailed out, she’s on the highway straight to the city, until suddenly.. her car stopped. And the engine doesnt want to work.

Her car was out of gas.

Jihyun stood beside her car, as she was really pissed off.

‘’stupid..’’ she remembered that she doesn’t even know the bodyguard’s name, so then she just yelled, ‘’argh! Stupid bodyguard!’’

But not long after that, a motorcycle coming her way and she was trying to asking some helped when it across.

And then, to her surprise, it’s the bodyguard.

So now she knew that it was his plan all along. To give her one of her car that has an empty tank, then she will stranded, so he will come by and leave her no choice other than to go with him or she might just stranded there.

Jihyun chuckled. She’s still mad, because she thought that she’s not really a gullible person. But deep down, she’s a bit amused too.

‘So this bodyguard.. this guy.. isnt really that bad, either. He’s using his brain.. let’s just see, who’s smarter.. you, or me, mister..’ she thought as he just told her to hang on tight to him when he start the bike engine and took her to the city.

-------------------------------------------------

After Minho, or Minhwan –he really need to make himself familiar to this new nickname- waited outside the boutique for about 20 minutes, he saw a red car passed by, and then..

‘eh? Isnt that her?’ he thought as he saw someone looks like his Agasshi walked from another door of the boutique and get inside the car then leaves.

He ran to the boutique and ask someone who’s wearing a clerk’s uniform nearby, then yes, it’s Jihyun.

‘’Dammit!’’ So he just went back to his bike and ride home.

When he’s back into the house, she wasn’t at home. Her mother seems surprised, ‘’eh, I thought she’s with you.’’

Minho told her what happened, honestly. So the lady just told him to wait until her daughter came. Of course, when she went home about 2 and a half hour later, Jihyun’s father also talked to her.

‘’Sorry, I forgot about the bodyguard, im not used to have one following me around.’’ That’s her reason.

Minho just chuckled slowly, so no one heard him. ‘So annoying.’

Jihyun said to her father, ‘’besides, I just went around with Taemin, that’s all. Too bad Nana can’t join us.’’

‘’What? He’s just get his license about 2 weeks ago.’’ Her mother said.

‘’Aw, come on.. everyone knows that Taemin already can drive since he’s 15.’’ Jihyun just rolled her eyes as she walked outside the room. Actually she felt a bit worried, because earlier her father seems wanting to add more bodyguard, but she successfully convinced him that it’s unnecessary.

Then she just took a glance at the bodyguard.

This time, he looked back at her. Even when Jihyun turned around, she can feel that he’s still staring at her.

Just like what she said to him yesterday, he seems not like any other bodyguard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day after, there’s nothing happened since Jihyun spent the day with her mother, preparing for her sister’s wedding.

Jooyeon already prepared a gown for Jihyun, and her only sister is a type that can’t accept no for an answer, so Jihyun just going to agree to whatever her choice are.

As usual, Minho is always around.

But then, ‘’Don’t worry, she’s with me. So you can rest for a while.’’ Jihyun’s mother said to him so then he just bowed and walked out from the boutique.

‘’Ah~ finally.’’ he just rested his back to the wall as he loosen up his tie.

‘’Are you okay?’’

He turned to see someone on his side then he laughs, ‘’I thought you were inside with the-‘’

Dasom smiled at him, ‘’Agasshi asked me to take the camera, she left that on the car.’’

‘’Really.. cant she take that by herself?’’ he said it out loud as he pressed the car key’s button to opened the door.

Heard that, Dasom turned and laughs, ‘’Don’t you think she can’t walk outside the boutique as she was trying some dresses?’’

Realizing his mistake, Minho immediately is laughing too. ‘’You were right.’’ then he put his finger to his lips, ‘’Don’t tell her I talk about her like that, okay?’’

‘’hm.. okay. But in one condition.’’

‘’eh?’’

‘’You have to help me.’’

‘’Help you what?’’

Dasom put her finger on the chin, ‘’Do you prefer to carry all that boxes to the car,’’ she pointed inside the boutique where the clerks bowed to Minho beside many pretty boxes, ‘’Or.. going upstairs to give this camera to Agasshi?’’

As a man, of course he should lift all the boxes, but before he can say anything, Dasom already choose it for him. ‘’but I think you should go upstairs. Walking too much is painful in a high heels like this.’’ she pointed her shoes. ‘’So.. would you help me?’’ she smiled.

About a minute later, Minho stops as he reached the 3rd floor. He walks and looked around as he heard a voice with a confused tone, ‘’Minhwan-ssi?’’

‘’Please excuse me. Dasom-ssi was busy downstairs, and she asked me to give Agasshi this camera.’’ He said politely to Jihyun’s mother.

‘’I see. Thank you, Minhwan-ssi.’’ She took the camera and Minho was ready to turned around when he heard,

‘’Mom, is Unnie really choose this dress for me, or it’s just you?’’ Jihyun actually talks in English.

‘Of course her English is good, she lives in L.A.’ Minho commented but then he just stood there as he looked at Jihyun.

She’s wearing a gown, and to be honest, it’s not really match with her image. At least that’s what Minho thought when he’s staring at her.

But then she looked at him, so he bowed immediately and left. He can hear her saying to her mother, ‘’why is the bodyguard in here?’’

Minho just chuckled and remembered that they haven’t introduced themselves properly, so of course, his name is still just ‘the bodyguard’. But then he murmured, ‘’what are you saying Minho? Of course, you’re here just as a bodyguard.. no one knows your true identity, even not your real name.. stupid.’’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the next day,

Jihyun walked outside her room to go to the kitchen. She heard people’s laugh as she went closer.

The bodyguard is in there, along with Dasom-ssi, and the older lady who works as the cook. Near them, there’s the gardener, and then some maids. All of them are from the main house.

They bowed as they saw Jihyun and greeted her, ‘’Good Morning, Agasshi.”

She’s just smiling at them. ‘’Morning.’’ She might seems a little bit cocky, but she never rude to her father’s staff. Then she reached the fridge and opens it.

‘’Do you need something?’’ the lady asked her.

‘’Just a bit thirsty..’’she answered and realized that now there’s only Dasom, the bodyguard -Choi something, and the cook. The rest are going back to where they work. The cook seems to be ready to walk back to the main house too as she heard her young mistress doesn’t need anything.

Jihyun just chuckled. A while ago, everyone seems to be enjoying a lively conversation, but as she arrived, they were like scared if they doesn’t get back to work, then Jihyun might told her parents to fired them all. ‘Silly..’

So she just turned around and ask, ‘’So.. is it like this, everyday?’’

‘’Yes, Agasshi?’’ Dasom asked back.

‘’You always work alone as everyone is in the main house. Don’t you feel lonely, Dasom-san? And please.. just called me Jihyun, we’re sharing the same age, right?’’

Dasom just smiled calmly. ‘’well.. sometimes one of them walked here just to accompany me.. and as the garden is nearby, sometimes I went out to help Sanghyun Ajusshi too.’’ Sanghyun is the middle age man who worked as the gardener. And then Dasom added as she took a glance at Minho with the corner of her eyes, ‘’but Minhwan-ssi is really a good colleague. And in such a short time, everyone in here already likes him.’’

Minho was walking further, doesn’t really have a place to go actually. Just trying not to get closer to his lady.

‘’Is that so?’’ Jihyun said, with a bit curiosity in her voice.

Quickly, Dasom looked at her and apologized, ‘’I’m sorry, I talked too much.’’

Jihyun is just laughing, ‘’What are you talking about? Don’t be too afraid of me like that..’’

Dasom bowed and just say, ‘’I will bring all the gowns from the main house right now.’’

‘’Okay.’’

Jihyun walked to the corridor as she realized that her bodyguard actually followed Dasom. She chuckled, ‘’He’s here to protect me, but why he’s just clinging to the girl and helps to brought anything around?’’

Not long after that, both Dasom and Minho appeared, so Jihyun said, ‘’can you put all of them into the room?’’ she means her walk-in-closet beside her bedroom.

To hear that, Minho seems hesitated, but then Jihyun just told him to go and helped Dasom. ‘’It’s okay. It’s not in my room, it’s there.’’ she pointed and then told Dasom, ‘’Please show him where he should put all of the things.’’

Minho nodded and followed Jihyun.

About 10 minutes later, they finished and left because Jihyun wants to be in her wardrobe room.

She heard the bodyguard said to Dasom, ‘’I wonder why women always have so much clothes..’’

And she also heard Dasom is laughing before she closed the door.

Jihyun took one of many gowns, she wanted to try because she refused to do that in the boutique, her own wardrobe room is more comfortable. But then she just sat on the sofa.

‘Why did the bodyguard is so weird.. and seems so relax like that?’ she wondered. Can’t hold her curiosity even more, she went out from the room again.

Near the kitchen, she heard people talks again.

‘What with the staff in this house? Likes to gossip that much?’ she said to herself.

‘’Huh?? The wedding is still months away? So why Agasshi bring so many gowns from yesterday?’’ that’s the bodyguard’s voice.

And before Dasom can answer, Jihyun did that first. ‘’Because my older sister told me to do it.’’

Both Dasom and Minho turned around.

‘’Tell him, Dasom-ssi, you knew how my sister can be so determined, right?’’ she said to Dasom and then she turned to Minho, ‘’Seems that you can’t help wanting to know about other people’s business, am I right?’’

‘’Wh-‘’ Minho actually wanted to talk, but then he just bowed apologetically.

‘’It’s okay.. im not mad.’’ Jihyun added, ‘’if you stop doing that. From now on, you were here just to protect me, or take me to places.. you don’t need to know or think about anything else about me..’’

Minho just looked at the floor while Dasom excused herself and went to another room.

‘’But I give you a chance.. if you have a question right now, then I will answer-‘’ before Jihyun finished her sentence, Minho bowed and said loudly, ‘’My name is Choi Minhwan, nice to meet you. You can call me Minhwan, Agasshi.’’

‘Huh?’ then Jihyun sighed. Well, it’s true they havent really introduced themselves properly.

Sighing, but then she said it,’’I’m Park Jihyun, nice to meet you too, Minwan-ssi.”

There’s a pause for a while, as Minho said, ‘’I..’’ he lifted his head and looked at her, ‘’I will work hard and try not to disappoint both of your parents in protecting you.’’

‘’Ha?’’ Jihyun cant help but giggled a bit, it’s true, the one that hired him is not her, but her parents. So she doesn’t say anything, just, ‘’Are you finished? Doesn’t have anything else to say?’’

He stood in silence for a while as his stare is lingering at her.

‘’What?’’ Jihyun asked him, straightly.

He pointed to her. ‘’That.’’

Jihyun frowned. This guy really successfully makes her confused everytime they encounter like this. ‘’This?’’ she lifted the gown in her hand.

Minho just nodded and say, ‘’Forgive me as it’s not my place to saying this.. but.. I think that one suits you more than the other that you wear on the boutique.’’

After heard that, Jihyun almost hang her jaw, as then Minho added, ‘’ah, but im sure that you will gonna still look good in anything, pardon my comment earlier.’’

Jihyun just stood there, petrified as she felt so mixed up. First, because of the mocking tone in his voice, and second –although she hated to admit it-, because she got struck by him when his lips curled into a slight smile before he left her standing there.

‘’What the-‘’ she just can say that as she blinked a several times. Staring at his shadow that still visible before it’s gone behind the door as he walked out.

************************************************************************