Ender's Game

The Wolf I've Become: The Unwanted

NOTE: Hah! Last full chapter, gheis :))

THANK YOU for all of your support! (for 'The Unwanted' and for this) I couldn't have done it without you guys. So THANK YOU! I love you guys <3

Oh and this chapter will be like a major major recap of the events in 'The Unwanted' (since I'm putting up the sequel after I put up the epilogue of this) so you could refresh your minds hihi xD So enjoy, gheis. This'll be completed after I put up the epilogue. Again, thank you so so much! I'll see you guys soon! ^^

---

Days turn into weeks, and as far as my brain’s concerned, it was after Taylor Swift’s RED Tour in Seoul Stadium that I finally got a better look at the situation. That I finally had the answer to my questions that kept on circling my mind for the past few days. I slumped back down on one of the side couches on Yuri’s left side. I had my mouth hung open, and tears were threatening to fall from my eyes. I couldn’t believe what Yuri just told me but at the same time, some part of me does.

Yuri’s continuous sobbing before me cut my thoughts short. I stand up and settle myself beside her. I bit my lower lip as I pull her sideways onto me. Ever since she got home earlier, her tears haven’t stopped spilling. And I don’t know what else to do; how should I console her. Out the three of us, Yuri was always the one with good comforting-others skills. She was always the one there for us whenever we needed someone to confide in. And now, she’s the one who needed us.

“Tae, I don’t know what to do.” She choked due to her endless cries and sobbed more onto my shoulder (which was almost damped with her tears) “Ssh. Don’t talk. Just let it all out.” I say quietly. I could only imagine what she just felt when she saw what she saw back at the concert last night. It was so surreal. I mean, if it wasn’t for the incident happening, it wouldn’t be that easy to believe Yuri’s story. It was like we were in a fiction novel and the author’s driving us insane with too much angst.

I hugged Yuri tighter and think about the things we could do and the possibilities that could happen now that the Jungs’ real identity had been blown off. I’m worried for Yuri’s safety. And Yoona’s. And mine. It worries me. It scares me. We’ve drawn ourselves in a world that’s beyond the Earth’s reach. A world that several people (none even) actually takes notice of. I don’t even believe in supernatural things, but that’s only until that event in the parking lot about a week ago. Then, my suspicions rose and tore everything apart. Including my friendship with... Tiffany.

My mind was still fresh on the memory of her confessing her true feelings for me; her finally saying it out loud in the oddest situation we’re in. I was baffled, yes. She said it where I least expected it. At that time, I would’ve jumped off a building or flipped the school upside down out of happiness and all. But I just didn’t feel that way, and I don’t know why. I shouldn’t have done that to her. I was hurting her in any possible way there was and I don’t know how to stop. It was never my intention to hurt her. I never wanted us to end up that way.

But I have to. I don’t want to, but I have to.

I woke up from my trance when I felt Yuri shift and eventually pull away from the embrace. I look at her with a blank expression painted on my face as I watch her wipe the remnants of her bawling her eyes out and stare down at her hands right after. We both sat in awkward silence. And at that same moment, when her head was hung low, I noticed a red substance slightly oozing out from the back of her head. I reached out to touch it with a lone finger, and I was right. It is blood.

“What did they do to you?!” I shot right up that made Yuri flinch. She hadn’t yet told me that she was injured. Yuri left open, trying to find the right words to say. She stared back down to her open palms again when she finally answered my muse. “They didn’t hurt me. It was another...” She gulped the lump in . “Vampire.” I shut my eyes tightly and fought the urge to throw the flower vase on the coffee table onto a wall.

Vampires aren’t real---that’s what I’ve been telling myself over and over and over again those past few days, and I haven’t convinced myself even once. Because somewhere down the road I know there was something definitely fishy about Tiffany and her sisters the very first time we met. I was just blinded with my love for her that I failed (more like refused) to believe what was dangling right in front of my eyes. Maybe they’re right. Maybe love does make you do something beyond your comfort. And what I did was believe in a lie that I know existed in the very beginning.

Yuri sunk deeper onto the couch; her buttocks almost falling of the seat’s edge. She finally looked me in the eye. “Taeng, why is this happening?” ‘I don’t know, Yul.’ I wanted to tell her I don’t know. And I don’t think I will ever know because I, myself is utterly confused and lost. Soon enough, Yoona will join the club of confused individuals and their complicated love interests. I didn’t mean to break it to her so soon, but she had to know. I can’t risk her getting hurt.

Without a word, I left the living room and went straight up to my room to grab a first-aid kit and get Yuri a treatment for her wound. I was halfway to my room when Yoona’s slightly ajar door caught my attention.

It was dark inside; not even a single lamp was open. Only the light from her computer illuminated the whole room which was not so much. The door creaked when I pushed it completely open. From there, I saw Yoona staring wide-eyed at her LG G3 while standing right in front of the computer and beside her window. It took about a minute before she finally acknowledged my presence. I was already standing a step or two from her by then.

I snatched her phone from her hold and she didn’t protest. She just stared at me with her same round doe eyes. I let my eyes travel down the open message on her phone. I felt a tingling sensation ran down my spine.

From: Seohyunnie

Go.

Tell everybody.

But I’m telling you, we’re not leaving this land ever again.

We’ll stand our ground.

I’m watching you.

But if I was ever terrified at the moment, I didn’t let Yoona know. “Stay away from her.” I tell her firmly. But I think it was evident that I was lightly shaking. “But unnie---“ “I mean it, Yoona.” I cut her off abruptly. She stared at me with the same wide eyes before she dropped her gaze to the floor. That’s when I’m sure she knew I was serious. And no one dares to argue with me when I’m serious. Again, I left without another word out and went to my room.

I think it was around one in the morning when I finished treating Yuri’s wound, and the three of us decided to spend the night (or morning) in her room. We were lying on Yuri’s queen-sized bed with me in the middle, Yoona on the left, and Yuri on the right. This wasn’t new, though. We used to do this when we were still kids. It brings back the memories.

“Tae... what do we do tomorrow?” Yuri kills the mood unintentionally. Yoona and I both whipped our heads towards her direction but didn’t say anything. At times like this, the three of us ought to find difficulty in finding our voices and jumbling the letters in correct order inside our brains. Then a little later, our brain just shuts down.

On normal occasions, I would’ve said no to the request of "Can we not go" in a heartbeat. Because I’m not the type to miss classes even when I’m feeling worn out or sick, and everybody who knows me knows that very well. I’m a very diligent person. And I don’t take education for granted. Not that I’m saying Yuri and Yoona takes it for granted, but in terms of punctuality, they’re a little... loose. If you know what I mean. Sometimes I even smack their heads together for it. But then again, we were all in a different situation.

Well sh*t.

“Unnie? Can we not go?”

I know even when I don’t turn to look at them, they’re expecting me to say ‘no’. And that would’ve been happening right now if it wasn’t for the kind of dilemma we were having. Of course, I still consider going to school, but anxiety and paranoia is starting to get the best of me. You can’t blame me. No matter how much kindness they’ve shown us, they’re still immortals. They’re not human. They’re creatures of the dark that walks above the surface of the world we live in. There are a few things---no, wait---A LOT of things that they’re capable of that we’re not. And I don’t know what they are going to do now that (I’m sure) they know that we know what they are by now.

I heave a sigh and swallowed the lump in my throat. “I guess we can skip class tomorrow.” I tell them, and they just bobbed their heads.

We haven’t got a good sleep after that conversation. We occasionally shoot our eyelids open the moment we hear something unusual like the rustling of trees outside and the constant barking of a neighbour’s dog. There’s that one violent buzz from a phone on the bedside table that made three of us shot right up. It was almost funny how we’re so worked up that night (morning) So I decided to stay up while my two best friends snuggle back to sleep. I went out of the pile of comforters and duvet and went out of the room.

It was a never ending cycle of drinking a cup of coffee before trying to find my happy place on the couch and trying not to fall asleep. It goes around for a couple of minutes until the time on the clock caught my eyes and I give up. I closed my eyes and let myself drift into dreamland.

If I remember correctly, it was exactly a week after that when things started to get down the drain. It was when my youngest cousin, Luhan---who resides in Okinawa, Japan---came back in Seoul to tell me the one thing I never thought would make my vision blurry and my heart ache. It was a long buried secret that they manage to keep away from me for whole twenty years. They said they only did that because that was the best thing for me; that I would be living normally as long as I didn’t know what they knew. And I wish they didn’t tell me. I wish they just kept it that way.

Because suddenly, I don’t know who I was anymore.

Of all the things I expected for Luhan to tell me, and for my parents to keep from me for so so long, it wasn’t definitely this one. I mean, come on! For the past years I’ve been living, I haven’t felt anything unusual happening inside and outside my body to which normally happens in stories. Right? And besides, I just came from a mental breakdown; me, Yuri, and Yoona, can’t they give us a break?

“Noona,” Luhan started our conversation that night after looking at me so intensely like we’ll never see each other again. At first I was confused. Then, after he was done, I knew why he thought he’ll never see me again. “Noona, I’m different. You’re different like I am. We all are. Our race... our family’s different.” He told me that night. I think the word ‘different’ was repeated for like three times but I couldn’t care less. Part of me couldn’t grasp on what he was trying to tell me and the other part was that... I refuse to believe it. All of it.

“Noona, you’re one of us.” He tells me again, and I finally lost it. My whole brain just exploded into tiny little pieces and I don’t know how to glue them all back. And then Luhan tells me one more information that never failed to make my head spin. “Next week, on the ninth, there will be a full moon. You’ll finally and fully be a werewolf.” I couldn’t take it anymore, so I ran outside the house as fast as I could. I didn’t even noticed that Yuri was there. I only realized it when I calmed down later that same night. But until then, I just kept on running to wherever my feet took me.

Then, after standing up from the curb by McDonald’s, I dragged my own two feet towards the one person I know who can help me calm myself down. He was the other person who was always there when we needed someone to talk to even if he’s not related to Yoona and me at all. I trusted him. And he trusted me in return. Technically, we grew up with him, and if not for him and his family migrating in Los Angeles, I think he’d be part of our little group. He’ll be the only girl in the world.

He didn’t disappoint. Because the moment I got there, he held me in his arms as I finally release the tears that were threatening to fall ever since I got out of the house. “What happened?” He asked me as we both enter his condo unit in Apgujeong. I shook my head. I would’ve been considering telling him about what I just found about myself, but he might think I’m on drugs or insane. I just want his comfort for now. Though I’ll admit, he didn’t let that go so easily.

And when I looked into his eyes, I just had this urge to crumble down and cry. There something in his usual brown orbs that tells me we were the same; and that he’d understand me. I didn’t know what it was back then, but I knew he was somehow different from the person I’ve known he was like. Donghae oppa pulled me into his arms that night and I shamelessly sobbed again. “I’m a werewolf.” I told him then. And he reassures me that he understands, and he does not hate me. I was confused one moment, but when he finally told me that he was a vampire, I backed away.

“B-But... oppa... you were... human before...” I almost slapped myself for stuttering.

“There’s so many things that happened back in LA that I think you should know about.” He tells me for the last time before he proceeded on storytelling what exactly he was talking about.

From his story I found out that Mrs. And Mr. Lee had died in LA due to a car crash five years ago. And he’s best friend dying in the football field of UCLA, and was lying on a pool of his own blood. Police told him that it was a some sort of wild animal roaming around that had killed his best friend, but he said he knew better. Donghae oppa knew something wasn’t right. And he’s hunches were correct. He told me the Jungs were responsible for everything. And by the ‘Jungs’ I mean, Jessica, Tiffany, and Seohyun. If it were possible, my heart stopped beating.

I couldn’t believe my own ears.

There was a possibility, but I don’t think they’re that bad. I don’t think they would be able to do that. Especially when they knew it will blew their covers to the millions of people living in the Earth. Okay, maybe some part of me just believes that they’re not that kind of people creatures. I mean, nothing bad happened to me, Yuri, and Yoona. Yet.

After that revelation from the two of us, Donghae oppa figured that I should go meet the ‘people’ that made him a vampire. The people who helped him get through and get him back on his own two feet. He said he wanted revenge. That’s why he let them make him into something he despised forever. It was better to hate himself and avenge his loved ones’ deaths, rather than just sit there and regret for the rest of his life for doing nothing---he told me when I finally met them.

I didn’t trust them at first glance. Of course, you wouldn’t trust a stranger right away. Especially vampires. So it took me until my birthday when I finally did. Even if it’s just a bit. And it took me until that day to realize what I was doing with myself; what I was doing at all, and why. But the answer was standing right in front of me---no one else will understand me other than them. Besides, since Donghae oppa trusts them (even treats them as family) then, they must be really good people. I mean, Donghae oppa wouldn’t be mingling with them if they weren’t, right?

Again, I stand corrected. And I slowly figured it out when I knew something wasn’t right with body (whole self, in general) anymore. And it was during the first time I ever turned into something beyond human. I have a massive amount of fur, I have four paws, I have sharp claws, I have a tail, I have sharp rows of teeth. My eyes were beyond 20/20. My ears are sharper (I can even hear people’s whispers at night) I can sprint sixty miles per hour. And I definitely, definitely smell like a Labrador Retriever. Or wait, maybe it was a Doberman? Whatever.

In other words, I smell like a dog.

It was that, and the diamond-like thing inside my wrist that they planted on that same day. Boa unnie---the group’s eldest, and of course, leader---told me it was for protection and added strength and adrenaline. I nodded and shrugged off the feeling inside my stomach that this wasn’t right. And I was right about it not being right.

Lately, I’ve become more hot-headed and aggressive and more... hungry. I don’t know if it’s the effect of me being a full werewolf or the diamond implanted inside me. But either way, I’m not liking it. Because lately, I’m turning into someone far from who I was. Like this person using my body is not me anymore. It even got worse as the days go by.

I was running with them---both literally and figuratively. Letting them take me into the outskirts of town and doing things I never imagined I would be doing. I don’t know. It’s like I’m having a lucid dream and I can’t do anything to get myself out of this hole I’ve gotten myself into. I’m starting to think Donghae oppa’s just using me to get to the sisters faster instead of helping me at all. I even think he’s using me to hurt Tiffany... which I was probably doing that time.

I regret it. All of it.

I regret from the day that I ran towards Donghae oppa’s condo unit and told him everything. I regret that asked him for his help, when I could’ve just asked Yuri and Yoona  for it. I should’ve ran back to the house instead of going missing and worrying the people I care about and cares for me in return. I completely went against my motto of not doing something I’ll regret later on. And then, there was this one tragic instance where I couldn’t regret things any less. It was when I decided to show up, and in the Jungs’ mansion. It was that same day where everything started to fall apart. Because I was going to do something that will make Tiffany them hate me forever.

It was their plan; Boa unnie’s group. They wanted me to come back and make them think that everything was alright now that I’m back. And then after that, I need to do what needs to be done. It was the most horrifying experience I’ve ever encountered my whole life and I hate myself for doing it instead of fighting it any harder. If I’ve known they were willing to take their vengeance this far, I shouldn’t have trusted them in the first place. And I ultimately regret it.

Because I’ve never ever wanted to hurt them. I never wanted to let Boa unnie's group try and kill Sunny or anyone in the mansion. I never wanted to hurt my own cousin just to let them get what they wanted. And I never wanted to drag Yoona, my own dongsaeng, of that house and stab her right in the stomach just to prove my point. I never wanted any of that to happen, but I still let it. I don’t think I could ever forgive myself that day. I hardly even want to see my face and my hands which were both covered with blood that reminded me of my betrayal.

Only God knows how I wake up everyday, disgusted with myself and the things I’ve done.

But despite everything, despite of all the things I did and was still planning to do, Sunny stood there for me. We weren’t specifically close, and I know that she hates me right from the start because of that one girl we both unfortunately loved. She was the last person I’d thought would help me realize that it isn’t too late to fight. That it isn’t too late to change things back; to start over again. And I’m grateful for her for doing that even when I tried to kill her that day with my sharp claws.

“I’m sorry for everything I’ve done. I know it’s not enough but... I’m sorry. And I would do everything to make it up to all of you. Especially... Tiffany.” I said to her when we both settled down on the floor. She patted my shoulder in consolation then, and I know she’s trying so hard not to laugh at my pronunciation of Tiffany’s name. We could be best friends, I thought.

After our exchange of ‘sorrys’ and ‘it’s okays’, I let her do one last favour for me. I handed her a dagger and she almost laughed at me. “Oh, so you were planning on stabbing me, huh?” She says to me one last time before she took out the poison still controlling my whole system and was the sole reason of my evil doings. Then, I warn her about what’s ahead---that Boa unnie’s planning something beyond our imaginations, and that Seohyun is in deep trouble for engaging a deal with the enemy.

Sunny asked me for a plan, and for another moment, I felt lost again. I know I said I’d do everything for all the things I did, but I didn’t know where to start. But like a light bulb suddenly lighting up inside my brain, I thought of a starting point. Starting off with Boa unnie---the leader of the enemy’s clan (and Mr. Seo Inguk, Tiffany, Jessica, and Seohyun’s sister to which I found out later on)

Everything flowed as planned after I’ve popped out of the almost microscopic diamond from the inside of Boa unnie’s skin. In that moment, I thought I was going to die. Boa unnie was much much more stronger than me or anybody else than I thought she was. She almost choke me to death, and if I hadn’t ripped out the diamond, I wouldn’t have been alive today.

Then, four days after, we fled to the Philippines.

At first I wondered why they’d pick the Philippines as our destination to keep Seohyun away from the others, but soon I found out it was because Min used to live there and had an apartment in Taguig City.

I’ve tried too many times to approach Seohyun even from the plane, but to my dismay she still ignores me. Of course, I wouldn’t blame her for being mad at me and hate me because I almost killed her sisters and her girlfriend and that’s not something worth  forgiving in a span of hours. I would have to work harder than that.

A little later on, I did. And Boa unnie helped me in gaining Seohyun’s trust again. That was the start. I’m having my friends believe in me again and I’m not going to stop until they all do. Not until I’ve attained forgiveness.

Soon enough, Seohyun and I have come up with a plan. We have to play with fire so we wouldn’t get caught and get in trouble because I was helping her; me and Boa unnie were helping her. We’d have to make them believe that nothing was out of the ordinary; that Boa unnie and I weren’t back to our old selves, and that Seohyun was never going to escape from our hands. Everything was going smooth since the past two days we were in the Philippines. Until one day, everything got messed up again, and the battle we were all bracing ourselves for happened sooner than we’ve expected it too.

It was when we saw Sooyoung and Hyoyeon (and a man lying on the ground) from afar, seemingly engaged in a fight. I presumed that man was a vampire.

“Choi Sooyoung!” Seohyun yelled from my right side, and Sooyoung and Hyoyeon (along with the man) whipped their heads towards our direction with widened eyes. To be perfectly honest, I was happy to see them again. They were still my friends after all.

Then, Seohyun started going off with her own plan---that includes making her loved ones believe she was already one of ‘us’ and did not want to go back. She didn’t want them to get caught up in the mess, she told me. Because if there was one person who could end this, it’ll be her and her only. When she said that, I knew she’s prepared to die anytime. She was willing to die for the ones she loves. But of course, I wouldn’t let that happen. I promised her I’d protect her in any means, and I will. For her. For Tiffany.

So when Yoona comes out into view, I knew this was the time we were waiting for. It was a good thing the three of us were prepared.

I slip a green lighter onto Seohyun’s hand while she was conversing with Yoona. She glanced at me sideways and I give her the signal. She nodded slightly it was almost unnoticeable. I glanced at Boa unnie at that same split second. Then I let my eyes wander around trying to look for Tiffany. Of course, if Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were there, then, Tiffany and the rest should be too.

“When I say run, run. Don’t wait... RUN!”

All hell broke loose the moment the first bullet was shot from Sooyoung’s gun. Then I fire mine. Zelo and Sehun went down hard onto the ground as flames devour their body and they slowly turn into ashes. I was astonished. Because I never knew vampire guns were that strong; that one bullet parallels with one life. And the effects were in an instant. Add the fact that I’ve never seen someone get set on fire my whole twenty-one years of existence.

The scene was cut off with me getting face-flat on the ground, and some unfamiliar vampires crowding the place. Suddenly, I saw a guy leading the army of blood-thirsty vampires into our fight. He took notice of Sooyoung first---immediately finding out her name and race. That gave me goosebumps. Then, he settled his eyes on me next. He asked for my name, obviously not knowing about it. But he knew my race. I guess that’s one of the perks of being an immortal. But what bothered me most is that, he looked awfully familiar. It’s like I knew him and at the same time, I don’t.

‘Why do I feel like I’ve seen him before?’

When he turned away from me, that’s when my mind took a rapid rewind back to the day I would never forget for the rest of my life. The same encounter that made me open my eyes and see for my own self that vampires, werewolves, and fallen angels were all true.

I shook my whole body with all my strength to free from Dara’s grip. When I managed to, I wasted no time to crawl for my gun and give this guy a peace of his mind (and a piece of my fury) And that’s when the battle between the good ones and the bad ones triggered.

You know, six months ago I wouldn’t have thought these kind of events would happen in real life; that it would only be in books and movies (I wish it was) But unfortunately, that wasn’t possible. Because there are other creatures living in this world that was made for God’s creations that was beyond people’s knowledge and awareness. Yuri, Yoona, and I would not even have believed it if it wasn’t for the Jung sisters---the three drop-dead gorgeous sisters who managed to turn our worlds upside down and change it forever. The same people who taught us to stand up and fight and be strong. The ones who made me know who and what I truly was.

I was wrong for being disgusted of their kind when I was one of them. I was wrong about everything I thought about them because they were good people. They were our friends, and they care for us like humans do.

Lesson learned: never be too judgemental.

But you know, the last thing I would expect to be happening right now was one of us getting injured---or worse---dying. Because if that happens to any one of us, I don’t think I’d be able to take it. I’ve hurt them once and I don’t want it to happen again. They were already carrying too much on their shoulders and it’s all my fault; mine and Boa unnie’s. And Donghae oppa’s. And they mean so much to me now. I can’t lose them. Not now.

I almost wanted to scream in agony when Sunny announced that there were no possible ways Yoona could be healed.

Yoona, my troublesome dongsaeng ever since forever. That choding who never fails to give me headaches everytime. My own personal alarm clock who always wakes me up twenty minutes earlier than expected time. My little sister who’s always been there for me; to make me laugh, to make me believe that no matter what happened, everything will be okay. The other kid (Yuri was the other one) whom I consider as my blood sister. That sister---her----I didn’t want to lose. I’m not ready to lose another one. So we ask Seohyun to do us a favour that we know would be best for Yoona. For us. Because I know none of us would want to lose a member of the team; family.

“Seohyun... please.”

Seohyun looks back down to Yoona’s nearly lifeless body and bites her lower lip. I know she’s contemplating. I know how hard it must be for her to take Yoona’s mortality away. But she has to do this. I didn’t want Yoona to die, and I would do everything just to make her stay alive. And I know Seohyun would do the same.

 

 

 

These past six months were a rollercoaster ride; with ups and downs (though there were more downs than upwards) and it would’ve been impossible to reach our ending destination if we didn’t believed and held each other throughout. If it wasn’t for love each of us possessed, we wouldn’t be staying alive. We wouldn’t have made it from the battle, Yoona wouldn’t be alive, and I wouldn’t have accepted what I was. So I’m grateful to everyone; to my friends. Because without them, I wouldn’t have made it this far. If they gave up on me, I would’ve given up myself.

So I’ll be forever thankful. Because they forgave me. I’m not going to make the same mistake ever again. I won’t hurt these people who were there for me all along no matter how many times I pushed them away for the second time. They all mean so much to me now.

So our new school year starts where everything started---Vampire University. When we first got here, I thought the name of the school was weird. But now, I get why it was made that way.

It was a new day. New year. New life. New me. Well, literally new me. And new Yoona too. Since she’s part of the immortal club now. The only human out of the group now was Yuri. Well, I’m not saying she should be but... who knows? I didn’t even expected Yoona to be a vampire but it still happened so... maybe someday? Yeah, probably. Because if she wouldn’t be, she’d look like our grandma fifty years from now.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA”

“YAH KIM TAEYEON! TAKE THAT BACK YOU MORON!”

Uh-oh. RUN TAEYEON RUN!!!!!