Magic and Witches

A Love Stronger Than Any Other

 The following evening, Taeyeon had given Hyoyeon the opportunity to help ready the ball room for their ‘ceremony’ tonight. She mentioned it to Leeteuk she was excused from taking care of Yuri and Tiffany for the kitchens. Hyoyeon was the one who had to tell about the ‘sugar-teeth epidemic’ in the kitchen and mostly the lower levels of the palace. Leeteuk had yet to feel or see the magic the castle was hit with. Maybe the magic found him hostile and didn’t want to mess with him, which is very strange considering magic takes its chances with anyone it faces. Hyoyeon sat in the middle of the ball room with her regular old maids outfit, with the long blue skirt, white shirt and apron, and her white flats to match.

 “Well, this is the temple. I tried to clear space the best I can. Do you like it unnie?” Hyoyeon asked, looking up into the ceiling. She wasn’t talking to herself, she was talking to Seohyun, wherever she is. Hyoyeon looked around in a self-satisfied way.

 “My my, must we call it a temple?” a voice sounded. “We wouldn’t want to sound like the demons, do we?”
 That was Sarah’s sweet and calm voice. She didn’t like the term ‘temple’. It sounded more satanic then pagan. Seohyun, of course, never listened to the words she said.

 “Covens meet in temples, Sarah,” Seohyun said to her, looking annoyed. “There isn’t another term to use.”

 “What about safe haven?” Sunny suggested, smiling.

 “How about no,” Bom and Naeun said in unison.

 Hyoyeon laughed.
 Oh, the sweet memories she could never forget about her unnies. Those crazy pagan woman. Hyoyeon will never forget about them. Not now, not ever. And once she becomes a witch, she’ll be able to feel the touch of magic again.

 Hyoyeon had spent the past hour transforming this extravagant ball room into a colorfully candlelit cavern. She gathered all of the candles she could snag from the castle walls, and they were all set into holders and candelabras from the library and main hall. Luckily no one were in either room, so Hyoyeon could easily slip past and transport them to the ball room. The white and lavender curtains on the large windows were completely closed so no light could escape and become suspicious. The spell book was set on a wooden pedestal in the center of the room.
 It felt so cozy and quiet with the candlelight, and the sparkles of the marble floor twinkling and dancing against the walls.

 Hyoyeon felt herself falling back to when she was eleven years old. A memory she will never forget. When she witness the first group spell casting.
 It was a witch holiday, which the sisters were most excited for. They spent all day gathering plants and herbs, as well as Sarah finding the perfect spell book, Sunny and Chaerin cleaning up the forest leaves, Luna finding the perfect dresses for everyone to wear, Bom and Naeun practicing spells, and Seohyun out and about to some mysterious place. It was normal in their household, but Hyoyeon always wondered where she went.

 Fifteen minutes before the time to cast, Seohyun arrived back at the house, looking disoriented but still smiling. “Everyone ready?” she asked.
 
 “Ready, your highness,” Bom and Naeun called.

 Luna dress young Hyoyeon, their little diamond, into a bright red dress with a tied bow in the back.
 Seohyun walked up to admire the dress. Then, she bent down, and touched both of her cheeks. “Are you ready, little diamond?”

 Hyoyeon brightly smiled and nodded. “Of course, Seohyun. Where were you all day?”

 Seohyun patted the top of her head. “Why so worried? I’m here now, aren’t I? Let’s have a lovely Samhain!”
 Samhain is the night when the ghosts of the underworld come to walk the streets of the earth. It is a day where a witch’s power is heightened to its full potential. A perfect day for Hyoyeon to come together with her family and do her first group spell. Excited wasn’t the closets word to describe Hyoyeon’s mood. She could jump up down if it wasn’t for Naeun’s dry threat in putting a spell on her that will make her not move or talk for the rest of the night.

 Luna clapped. “Okay. Everyone good and ready. Let’s head to the spot before those sneaky ghosts beat us there.”
 Luna opened the door for everyone, and Hyoyeon almost ran out and sped to the forest if Sarah hadn’t caught her collar first.

 Hyoyeon’s heart beat through her chest as they got closer and closer. She could hear the whispers of the dead. The magic was approaching them through the wind. She was ready.

 Once they were at the spot called for them, Sarah set the spell book in the middle of their circle. One by one, everyone set down their pinch and quarts of the ingredients around the spell book.
 Hyoyeon was seeing white mists surrounding the circle. The ghosts were coming to watch.

 Hyoyeon took a deep breath.
 The sisters bowed their heads. The spell was said as they had practiced, or at least Hyoyeon think it was. She couldn’t even hear her own voice over the ghost’s loud mutterings.
 Once the spell was completed, the herbs, spices, and rest of the ingredients dispersed and shot straight into the sky in a rush of red and blue stars. Once the spell reached the sky, and white halo spread across the night sky. The ghosts awed at the magic.

 Seohyun turned to them. “I think you all have somewhere to be.”

 The ghosts grunted and disappeared when the wind whispered upon them. They had released a protection spell across the land, so no evil spirits could contact with them or the town folk. No one will thank them though. They will continue with their demonic assumptions with them and then go about their lives.
 But if they did not do this spell, they would all probably be begging for them to do it.

 They girls spent the rest of the night eating desserts and casting spells for fun and entertainment.
 Samhain was always the greatest witch holiday, after the winter solstice.

 Maybe after becoming witches, the princesses and the queen will have as much fun as Hyoyeon did for all those years. They would to. She knew they would. Being spell bound was no walk in the park, so Hyoyeon was much excited, almost as excited as she was on that Samhain holiday, to become one again and have her magic back.

 That was when low and excited whispers were coming from behind the ball room doors. The door opened with slight creak. One head poked inside, and then the whole body next.
 Tiffany entered first, dressed in her pink silk dress, coupled with pink flats, with the scarfs attached and tied to her wrists. She held a small sliver and crystal box, no doubt filled with sweets of a kings liking. Next to enter was Yuri, dressed in a purple silk dress and a feather hairpin hanging just below her ear. Taeyeon came in, not in her usual queenly gowns or skirts, but a short sky blue dress and her hair tied in a tattered bun. She carried some sort of white dress in her hands.

 Hyoyeon got up from the floor and straightened her dress skirt.
 “Welcome ladies. A bit nervous this evening?”

 “A little bit. But I’m fine,” Tiffany said, racking her fingers through her hair.

 “I have to admit, so am I actually,” Yuri said, smiling. She folded her hands in front of her.

 “Same goes here,” Taeyeon said. She walked forward to Hyoyeon. “Maiden Hyoyeon, I thought you would show up in such tattered clothing. This is a very special occasion, it must be presented and sought through with purpose. There for, a woman must look presentable in her becoming of a witch. I snatched this up just for you.”
 Taeyeon unfolded the white cloth, and it revealed a long white gown with a sparkling collar. It looked beautiful, and Hyoyeon had to gasp. It was marvelous, but it did not suit her. She didn’t deserve it.

 “My, thank you madam. But, I am much more comfortable with just wearing what I’m wearing right now.” Hyoyeon bowed apologetically.

 Taeyeon snorted. “Nonsense! My ladies will not wear this type of clothing. Please, just change quickly so we may get on with the casting.” It was clear by the tone of her voice, Taeyeon was not taking no for an answer.
 Hyoyeon held the dress in her hand for a moment, then spoke a soft thank you before running to another room to change into her dress.

 Yuri looked at the spell book curiously. She didn’t have a chance to look at all of the spells before her mother took it from her, and then Hyoyeon needing it to study the spell that would make them witches. What other mysteries and magic could that book hold? What are the things they can be capable of once they have the magic? Hopefully anything they so desire. A spell to do tricks, become someone else. Why, could a spell in there can give her all the freedom she ever dreamed of? Oh, she couldn’t wait!
 Tiffany looked at the book the same way. As all this spell stuff sounded fun as Yuri made it out to be, all she wanted was one thing: to make the love of her life fall for her back. She could use spells from the book to make her as beautiful as her sister. She could change her hair, change her skin, maybe even change her personality to her lovers liking. Magic could go that far. From the stories her mother told her when she was little, magic even had the power to kill and resurrect. Surely making someone fall in love can only be a small matter. If she could find the right spells to work the right magic, she could live a happy life with her husband. She will not have to live in her sister’s large shadow no longer. It was only a matter of time. If only Hyoyeon would just hurry up.
 “Don’t touch, Yuri!”

 Tiffany’s head shot up to see her mother holding Yuri’s mid-raised hand by the wrist.

 “Let the book remain still. You never know, it may react to none witches.” Taeyeon moved her away from the podium.

 “Mother, I already touched the book. Besides, it was addressed to me, wasn’t it?”

 “Yes, and now we’re all sharing it. So keep your patience,” Taeyeon said firmly.

 “Yes mother,” Yuri said, sounding like a child again. Yuri kept in her spot but still stared at the book.
 Tiffany tried not to roll her eyes at her sister. Such immatureness will never change would it?

 Hyoyeon came back in the room wearing the beautiful white dress. Taeyeon opened in awe, and cooed.

 “Marvelous,” she commented.

 “Really?” Hyoyeon said, twirling in the dress.

 “Of course.” Taeyeon gave her warm and sweet smile.

 Hyoyeon nodded. “Are we ready now?”

 “Please, you do the honors,” Taeyeon gestured to the book lying at the podium.

 Hyoyeon inclined her head at her, and walked gracefully the other side of the room. She gathered four lit candles in very small candelabras that only held one candle, and gave each to the three ladies. Tiffany took a deep breath, almost extinguishing the flame of her candle. Yuri stared into the fire like it could reveal all the secrets of the world. Taeyeon remained in her calm and warm demeanor.
 Hyoyeon walked behind the podium and put her free hand on the side of the book.

 “You must make a circle with me. Come.”
 The girls did as she said. The four made a circle around the book, representing the elements from north, east, south, and west.

 “Okay ladies, breath,” Hyoyeon said smoothly. “We may be reciting a few lines, but the magic in the house is going to be called into this room and into you. Remain still, or the magic will think twice and try to land in a different place.”

 Tiffany’s right hand was trembling so much she had to use her left hand to brace it. Taeyeon’s calm expression changed to curiosity and intrigue. Yuri swallowed but looked resolute.
 “Fair warning, if you see white figures around us, they are ghosts. They will not hurt us though. Ghosts are always attracted to magic and witches.”

 Tiffany gasped. “Ghosts?” She started to look over her shoulder. Rubbing her arms, she whimpered but tried to remain still.

 “This is more spiritual then I thought.” Taeyeon said, looking out of the corner of her eye.

 “Of course, madam,” Hyoyeon responded. “Becoming a witch is a spiritual enchantment. It will never go away.”

 “Oh great,” Tiffany muttered.
 Yuri remained silent and staring straight at Hyoyeon.

 Hyoyeon made her voice confident and clear. “Here is what we will recite: ‘We four have come to together to form this blessed circle, pure of heart, free of mind. We ask the magic to capture and take hold on us for as long as we live. From this night on, we are sisters. We honor each other and the magic. We swear to honor this bond above all else. Blood to blood, ashes to ashes, and star to star, we make this sacred vow.’”

 “Oh my!” Tiffany yelled and pointed behind her mother
 Hyoyeon, Yuri, and Taeyeon looked where Tiffany pointed. Three white figures walking around them, with a very far distance between them.

 Yuri gasped. “There’s more.”
 Two more ghosts walked through the walls and into the ball room.

 Tiffany whimpered again and bowed her head, muttering a soft prayer.
 Hyoyeon took hold of her shoulder. “You must calm down, Princess Tiffany. The magic is here and is ready for you. Close your eyes and concentrate.”

 Tiffany clutched her candle as their group slowly began to recite the books words. Yuri spoke clearly and with conviction, her soft voice mingling in the candlelit room. Taeyeon spoke with her eyes and her head bowed, as if she was in prayer. Tiffany clutched Hyoyeon’s hand and was the only one whispering the words with her eyes tightly shut. The four were still, just like the rest of the room. The ghosts circled them attentively.

 “Blood to blood, ashes to ashes, and star to star,” Hyoyeon said, looking around the room in anticipation. “We make this sacred vow.”

 Yuri stood straight. Taeyeon opened her eyes and stared at the girls faces. Tiffany opened her eyes slowly, still clutching her maid’s hand for dear life.
 The brief moment of silence had Hyoyeon worried – could her being spellbound make the magic run away from them? Her heart pounded against her chest. The girls could have thought that nothing could possibly come to this. And then a whipping wind tore through the room, making the ghost moan loudly, and were being roughly whisked away through the walls. The floor below them shook. Tiffany dropped her candle, covered her ears, and screamed. Yuri followed suit, screaming but still clutching on to her candle. Taeyeon yelled a loud string of, “Stop stop stop!”

 Every candle flickered out and they were basked in complete darkness.
 The wind died down when Tiffany’s screams were too much to bear. Everything stopped. An unnatural stillness took over.

 “Oh my god! That was not magic, that was punishment!” Tiffany yelled, sounding like she was weeping. “God is here. He’s coming to punish us.” The way she whispered those words made her sound hysterical.

 “My girls, are you alright?” Taeyeon’s voice was strained with panic.

 “Hyoyeon! Hyoyeon, what happened?” Yuri yelled over Tiffany’s panicking whispers.

 “I don’t want to go to hell, I don’t want to go to-”
 Suddenly, Tiffany’s candle flickered to life. The flame grew bigger then it was before. One by one, the candles sparked their fire to existence. The room was becoming visible again, and each woman becoming calmer once again, even though they were all finding refuge on the floor. Tiffany’s face was covered in tears. Yuri was paled and her eyes searched frantically around the room. Taeyeon huddled next to Yuri, still holding her candle straight and tall.

 Hyoyeon was the only one still standing. She looked around in wonder, and her passion in belief and spirit awakened within her heart. All of the candles were lit, but only their four flames lit the brightest. The brightest stars in the room.

 “Congratulations, girls,” Hyoyeon said breathlessly. “We’re witches.”