Convincing

A Love Stronger Than Any Other

  The guards stood quiet and still right at the gates, looking straight ahead of them with such bleak expressions.
  Wow, so emotionless, Yuri thought.

  She was taking a peek at them from the bushes near by. After hearing the afternoon bell, Yuri imagined herself deaf so she couldn’t hear and could stay along with Minho again. Choi Minho. Her new friend.
 Yuri sighed as she realized there was no easy access through the front gate. She tiptoed backwards into the bushes. She walking slowly back, but backed into something, or someone. Yuri froze. She slowly stood straight, and turned around. She came face to face to a woman with a stern expression. “Afternoon Yul.” Hyoyeon says. “I see you finally decided to come back.”

  Yuri pointed behind her. “I. . . heard the afternoon bells.”

 Hyoyeon’s arms were crossed, her face expressionless, and impatiently tapping her foot. Yuri didn’t like this side of her at all. Of all the times for Hyoyeon to be so upset with her, this has to be the most intimidating mood from her yet. She only looked at Yuri silently.
“Um, Hyoyeon. . .”
 Hyoyeon said nothing as she took Yuri by the wrist and strode out from the cover of the bushes. The guards immediately turned there heads toward Hyoyeon, then Yuri. As they walked to them, the guard exchanged a silent look. Hyoyeon looked at them. “Just let us in. Don’t tell anyone about this.”

 The guards looked at each other. One of the smiled to Hyoyeon. “We get many praises when we inform the king the princess escaped, again.” he gave a pointed look at Yuri.
 Yuri pouted and crossed her arms, like a little girl.

 Hyoyeon sighed as she dug her hand into her pocket. She pulled out ten golden coins and divided them into five. She gave five to each of the guards and in response opened the gates. Hyoyeon took Yuri by the wrist again and hauled her forward to the doors, where another guard was waiting. Hyoyeon pulled another five coin from her small pocket that was clanking with change. “Don’t tell anyone she’s snuck out again.” Hyoyeon said as she handed the guard the coin. Yuri was surprised that Hyoyeon had to gamble to make sure she’s still safe from trouble.
 Hyoyeon continued to drag Yuri through the halls, no way in making any noise and refusing to look at Yuri. She was starting to get rather scared.

 They scurried up stairs, and down the hall. Another maid passed by, and stopped by to tap Hyoyeon on the shoulder. “Maiden Hyoyeon, we have a little mess in the sewing room. Mind if you come and help.”

 Hyoyeon shook her head. “I’m sorry maiden Jae Yoong, but I have other situations to tend to.”
 Jae Yoong furrowed her brows. “What could possibly. . .” Jae Yoong spotted Yuri being held in Hyoyeon’s hand and raised a brow. “Oh.” she muttered. She gave a low bow to Yuri and walked off. Yuri could already see it: the maids gossiping on how the princess snuck out, again.

 Hyoyeon quickly started to walk again and headed to the door of Yuri’s room. Yuri made her way to her bed and crossed her legs Indian style, and rubbed her arm nervously. She won’t yell at her will she. Hyoyeon has never yelled at her before, she’s always so calm and caring. But now she looked so different. She was pale, her arms crossed, and her lips pressed tightly together as if keeping in all the irritated anger.
 She took three breaths, and was silent for another moment.
 Yuri said shakily, “Please Hyoyeon. Don’t torture me like this.”
 Hyoyeon didn't look at her. “Please, talk to me.”

 Hyoyeon sighed and walked to Yuri. She took her face in her hands and searched her eyes. “You made me so worried. You were gone all morning.”

 Hyoyeon smoothed down Yuri’s black hair. “I can’t say I’m surprised you left, but you took me off guard. Tiffany came to me, whispering about how she couldn’t find you anywhere.” Hyoyeon lowered herself next to Yuri. She continued to cross her arms and raised a brow at Yuri.
 “So. . .”

 Yuri pursed her lips. “So?" Eyebrow. “Where were you Yuri?”

 Yuri shrugged and looked away. “Oh, nowhere.” she squeaked.

 “Yul, I won’t tell anyone.” Hyoyeon scooted closer. Yuri rubbed her arms.

 “I. . . was away. Visiting Falls Wood again.” Hyoyeon new all about Fall Wood. Yuri informed Hyoyeon a long time ago that it was rather a magical garden, and not Satan’s meeting point with woman.

 “You look flushed, love.” Hyoyeon rubbed Yuri’s slightly pink tinted cheeks. “You were gone for a long time, were you with someone?”

 Yuri fought to not shiver under Hyoyeon’s gaze. She silently nodded her head.
 Of course, Hyoyeon could tell she was lying. Eyebrow in action. “Were you?”

 Yuri couldn’t lie to Hyoyeon. It was impossible. Just like lying to Tiffany, or her father. Yuri sighed. “Don’t be mad okay.”

 Hyoyeon tilted her head. “No promises.”

 Yuri took a breath. “I wasn’t alone, Choi Minho came with me, and we. . . talked. Just talked.”

 Hyoyeon nodded. Her face still didn’t show much expression. She rested her head upon her hand and looked away for a moment. Yuri nervously fiddled with her fingers.

 Hyoyeon sighed. She talked slowly, “I love your feeling to make friends more then I can possibly say. But, with Choi Minho, it’s a completely different story.”
 Yuri groaned, “Hyoyeon.”

 “I couldn’t say this before, I didn’t know how you would react if I said it, but I don’t want this for you.”
 “What are you talking about?” Yuri asked.

 “You, and him, all of a sudden becoming friends. And so soon after he sabotaged you and gave you injury. He can’t be up to any good.”

 “You haven’t seen him Hyoyeon.” Yuri says. “He really wants to be friends. He apologized and everything.”

 “No. That’s his devil’s work, and he’s trying to bewitch you.”

 “Bewitch?” Yuri asked. “No Hyoyeon. I’m positive he’s doing none of that. He’s serious, I know it. Please, believe me.”

 Hyoyeon stood and walked toward the fire place. She starred at it for some time and started to pace back and forth. Her eyes were hard and she was in deep thought.
She stopped. Hyoyeon gestured to her. “Think of the outcomes. The consequences if either of your parents find out. And other possibilities.”
 “What other possibilities?” Yuri stood. She started to feel a little defensive now.

 “The possibilities of you getting hurt again.” Hyoyeon walked forward. “What if it’s not your arm this time? What is it’s your back, your leg, your throat.”
 “Hyoyeon, don’t say those things.” Yuri exclaimed.

 “No.” Hyoyeon rushed forward and pointed a finger against Yuri’s chest. “This fantasy you have of being his friend is nothing more then that. A fantasy. Your immature mind has gotten the best of you and now your risking your life and could possibly get into more trouble.”

 “How could you even say that?” Yuri yelled.
 “I can say that because-” Hyoyeon stopped and her head shot to the left. Yuri looked to see what had taken her attention and turned to see a midnight black crow, sitting on the edge of the window.

 “Zhou Mi?” Yuri said.

 Hyoyeon looked at her. “What? What is that?”

 The crow cawed and flew into the room. Hyoyeon opened to yell but Yuri quickly made her move to cover . In a swift of wind and a tornado of blackness, The crow turned into a tall man. Zhou Mi looked at the two. “I suppose I came at the wrong time.”

 Yuri uncovered Hyoyeon’s mouth and walked toward him. “Zhou Mi, what are doing here?”

 “I wanted to talk to you. Coincidentally, what you and this. . .” Zhou Mi stopped and starred and Hyoyeon. She had turned completely pale and was starring at him, kind of like in a trance.
 Zhou Mi took a breath. “This. . . maid were conflicting about.”

 Zhou Mi moved aside from Yuri and walked to Hyoyeon. He took her hand in his and gently kissed the back of her hand. “Very nice to meet you, maiden Hyoyeon.”
 Hyoyeon broke from her starring trance and gently dipped her head forward. “I. . .” Hyoyeon let go of his hand and stepped back.

 “Who are you?” she asked.

 “I am Zhou Mi, a personal friend of our Yul. As you can tell. . . I am a wizard.” he threw her a charming smile.

 Hyoyeon took a breath, and seemed to be shaking. “I’m sorry. . . I just, never seen such sorcery.”

 “Do not worry. I am one of the good. I have no intention of using magic other then that.”

 Hyoyeon pointed to the spot he once stood, where Yuri was now standing looking oddly at the two.
 “No one would never believe this, even seeing it with their own eyes.” Hyoyeon said.

 Zhou Mi scowled. “People. The world is full of enchantments woman, not all of them are carved in stone.”
 He smiled, and Hyoyeon smiled back.

 The looked quiet comfortable with each other now. Yuri thought about leaving the room, but then Zhou Mi turned and looked pointedly at Yuri.
 “I’d say there’s no more talking sense into you.”

 “Huh?” Yuri cocked her head.

 Zhou Mi rolled his eyes. “Don’t play dumb. Considering about the events from the incident to now, it is clearly up to discussion.”

 Hyoyeon looked at Zhou Mi. “You know about this friendship also?”

 Zhou Mi nodded. “Ever since he cut her and took her engagement ring. I’ve been wanting this talk with her for some time ever since she spoke the words, ‘I want to be friends with him.’”

 Yuri rushed forward to them. “Hear me out, please.”
 Zhou Mi and Hyoyeon both crossed their arms and raised there brow. Wow, they are really alike.

 “What if I told you that he was the first to come up to me and make a truce.”

 “I’d believe anything before that.” Zhou Mi said.

 “He was the first to suggest we become friends, not me.” Yuri said.

 “Yul, this is not a good idea.” Hyoyeon said.

 “Why not?” Yuri ushered forward. “Please, believe when I say, that I am not in danger from him anymore. We even have something in common.”

 Hyoyeon asked, “And that is?”

 “Freedom. To be away from palace life and to see what is like to be like the city folk. He understands those kinds of needs. It could work out. He really is my friend.” Yuri gave them a smile. She hoped her words could reach out and change their minds.

 Hyoyeon and Zhou Mi exchanged a silent look and both sighed.
 Hyoyeon stepped forward to Yuri and took her hands in hers. She smiled. “If that is the case, be careful when you see him. And find a new strategy of coming in. I’m running out of coin.”
 Yuri giggled as she took Hyoyeon in a tight hug. “Thank so much unnie.”

 “Shall I tell Tiffany. You know how she is when we don’t tell her stuff.” Hyoyeon said.

 Yuri shook her head. “Not this time. We shall give it some time, and then maybe we can tell her.”

 Hyoyeon nodded.
 Zhou Mi set his hand on her shoulder and gave her a warm smile. “You are a very good friend, maiden Hyoyeon.”

 She shrugged, “I try.” The two laughed. They continued to stare at each other for a moment, and then Zhou Mi stepped back. “I just remembered, I came here for another reason too.”
 Yuri and Hyoyeon furrowed their eyebrows.

 “Another wizard near by was conjuring some kind of spell, and seemed to have went in the wrong direction. It hit this palace.”

 Yuri and Hyoyeon gasped. “Is that bad?” Yuri asked.

 “Not for you I don’t think.” Zhou Mi said. “I think you might like it Yul. But for everyone else, they may encounter some, strange occurrences. Things happen when your hit by magic. Nothing bad of course, but very strange and very curious.”
 Zhou Mi shrugged. “If anything happens, I’m sure they haven’t yet to come through to your parents. If they want it to stop, I’ll make it stop. But people don’t really want the magic to go away, so I may be of no use to it.”

 Zhou Mi bowed to the two. “Princess Yuri, maiden Hyoyeon.” Yuri noticed the look Zhou Mi gave Hyoyeon, a look she had never seen on him before. Hm, maybe the strange things are happening now.

 With another tornado of black clouds, Zhou Mi turned back into a crow and escaped out through the white drapes and into the sky.

 Yuri turned back to Hyoyeon. “Thank you for trusting me with this. I thought it had to take so much more.”

 Hyoyeon gave a warm smile and caressed her face. “Do not worry. Just be careful, I’ll be watching out for you. Along with your friend.” Hyoyeon looked longingly out the window and then scurried out the room.
 Yuri heavily sighed as she slumped down on to her bed. No another thing had worked out how she planned. Either her charm was getting better, or she was getting lucky.

                                                                                     ____________________

 “Hyoyeon, can you come here please?” Maiden Jae Yoong ran up to her.

 Hyoyeon held up her hands. “What is it?”

 Jae Yoong looked so nervous and un sure. That’s strange. Hm, strange.

 “About that mess in sewing room,” Eyebrow in action. “I think there may be a little infestation.”

 Hyoyeon widened her eyes. Do they have rats? That can’t be, the palace has so many cleaners, it was enough to clean the whole city.
“Infestation?” Hyoyeon gasped.

 Jae Yoong nodded and held out her hand. Hyoyeon cocked her head.
 Jae Yoong opened her hands to reveal five shiny sugar cubes. But these little things were something other then that. Hyoyeon could hear the faint sound of humming from them, and they looked to be trembling.
 Hyoyeon lifted her finger to touch them. “Um, I wouldn’t-” Jae Yoong warned, but Hyoyeon was already yelping “Ow!” when one of those little cubes jumped up and bit her finger.

 That is so bizarre. “What in the world! What are these?” Hyoyeon yelled.

 Jae Yoong shrugged, and suddenly gave a little mischievous smile. “Well, these appeared yesterday before. Maiden Jiyoon had named them sugar teeth.”
 Hyoyeon cocked her head. “Why sugar teeth?”

“Well I wasn't listing the whole time, but it's from this folklore story she was yammering about. Apparently, their magic.”