Chapter 3

Never Going Back

“Miss Krystal your sister is b-“

She didn’t allow the poor secretary to finish her words. She just wanted to talk to her sister about the horrible man she just met on what it used to be her favorite coffee shop; she was pretty sure she would never go back to that place. She would never step foot in that place if that meant she was going to see him.

God, what did that guy thought he was? He was the worst man in the world! Well maybe not the worst, but he was surely one of the worst. He was cocky, he was full of himself, he was rude and he was a complete douche!

“Miss! You can-“

Krystal opened the door right away not even bothering about the secretary’s protests; she just wanted her sister and wanted to complain at least once in her life about something.  She never complained, not even when she was angry at the world, but now she just wanted to let it all out and let her sister hear every single thing she had to say.

“Jessica you won’t believe what just ha-“

She stopped her speech right away. She looked at the office and saw her sister talking to two men. Two men who looked like they weren’t the friendliest people to be around and she was sure she just interrupted something huge. Both looked like they were in their forties and if she wasn’t mistaken, one of those men was one of her sister’s partners in her design company and her biggest fan, thought he never showed it. He didn’t want to look weak or something like that.

“Oh….I’m sorry….am I…interrupting something?”

Well wasn’t that a stupid question? She was sure the chemicals her hair stylist used for her new blond look burned every single brain cell she had left. Sometimes she wondered why she couldn’t be her usual quiet self. All she had to do was bow, say she was sorry and leave. She didn’t even dare to look into her sister’s eyes. She could feel the older of the two killing her softly with her eyes. One thing Jessica didn’t tolerate was to be interrupted while she was doing business, and from the look of it, she was doing some big business and Krystal just interrupted at the worst time possible.

“Gentleman, this is my dear sister Jung Krystal…also known for not knowing when to knock or to listen to my secretary.”

Krystal saw one of the men smile at those words and she felt her cheeks burning. This was beyond embarrassing, for sure! She wanted a hole to hide and never leave it again. She looked to her sister and saw she was waiting for the younger one to leave on her own free will without having the need to be a little bit rude. And rightfully so.

“Anything I can help you with?”

Jessica asked while raising a brown. Krystal felt going dry and it was in moments like these that she knew why her sister was called a snow queen. She had a stare that could freeze someone’s soul. And she wasn’t even trying too hard! Imagine if she was. Krystal was sure that she would die right there at the moment.

“No…I…I’m leaving. I’ll talk to you later.”

With those words, Krystal closed the door behind her and left. She didn’t even bother to stare at the secretary that was looking at her with an ‘I told you so’ look.  Not that Krystal blamed her, she actually told her, she just decided to ignore completely her words and act like a five year old who refused to follow rules.

She felt so embarrassed she was sure she could die. Her cheeks were burning; she couldn’t stop staring at the floor. She felt like the most childish woman on the planet. Sometimes she was sure her sister launched her some curses for every single meeting she ruined. It was sad to say this wasn’t the first one and it probably wouldn’t be the last. No, she was sure it was far from that.

“idiot, idiot!”

She whispered to herself, not even realizing that as she walked, she was on the wrong direction of the hall. She was just thinking about what she just did and how her sister was going to kill her as soon as she got home. God that wasn’t going to be pretty and Krystal didn’t have any argument of defense, which made everything worse! And because of her complete focus on her own thoughts, she ended up bumping into someone who had a seriously strong chest.

“Watch it!”

She heard a manly voice complain. God, not again! She couldn’t handle another douche, at least not today! She was going to apologize, but the tone the man chose to use did not please her at all! She looked up to the man who she just bumped into and all of her words of annoyance disappeared. She felt the words disappear in and she just looked at the man. He had such an intense gaze that all she could do was look at him and feel her cheeks burn a little bit more, but this time, for a complete different reason.

“Are you alright? You were completely spaced out and well, I’m to blame as well, I was paying more attention to my phone.”

He said with a small smile on his lips and she just nodded and continued looking at him, not sure if she should even dare to open to speak.

“You’re Jung Krystal aren’t you? I recognized you from all the pictures around the office.”

He said with a small, pleasant smile and all she could do was nod again. She wasn’t expecting this man to be this nice. When he first spoke he sounded mean, but then again, she bumped into the guy with her heavy head right into his chest. So, who wouldn’t be mad? She was probably too sensitive from before that she was ready to explode now.

“A…Are you new here? I never saw you here…”

She knew every single employee of her sister and she never saw this man before. If she saw, she would remember and she doubts she would forget such a face. Especially those eyes because they were just too intense to be forgotten. And when he gave that small smile it made her insides feel like jelly.

“Oh, I just came here to get my dad. He’s all excited that my nephew is coming back from the States.”

The States? Where did she heard that before? She knew she had heard it before but something was missing, what was it?

“….You’re Ajusshi’s son? And you’ve a 35 year old nephew? How’s that possible?”

She asked and she saw the man show a beautiful smile that made her insides twist a little bit. God what in the world was wrong with her, she was behaving like she was 16 years old again and she was having her first crush. She heard him laugh a little and pass a hand through his hair making her feel her cheeks burn even more. How can such a movement be so perfect and manly?

“I know it’s confusing. I’m the youngest of 3 children; I was an ‘accident’ as my mother says. I’m 2years older than my nephew and 20 years younger than my older brother.  It’s confusing, but that’s how it is.”

He said again with a gentle smile and all she could do was smile back at him. Silence took over the two of them and all they did was stare at each other. She wanted to say something and she knew he could see that, but instead of pressuring her to talk, he just stood there waiting for her to speak.

“Have you…ever been in the US?”

She asked as she tried not to look like she was acting like a 16 year old. God she could be embarrassing when she wanted. He simply  smiled to her, again. He should stop smiling; it wasn’t doing any good to her health. And he probably knew it. And that was why he was doing such a thing. Curse him. But then again, he could be looking at her like she was a little kid, which wouldn’t surprise her at all. She was a lot younger than him so of course so he probably was smiling at her because he was finding her awkwardness endearing of just amusing.

“I studied there. I graduated and took a master’s degree there. I went to the US when I was 19 years old, just left 3years ago.”

Well, not only was he handsome he was also smart he knew how to speak English and probably knew something else. Yeah, there was no way this man wasn’t some kind of psychopath or worst.

“Ah, there you are!”

Saved by the bell! Almost. Both looked to the door next to them and they saw the old man walking towards them with a smile on his face.

“Where have you been? I thought you were going to wait for me downstairs.”

The old man looked to Krystal and she smiled to him.

“Oh, is he talking to you? I apologize if he talked too much, he can be annoying.”

Krystal laughed at that and saw the man in front of her look a bit embarrassed. Finally she wasn’t the only one being awkward in the room.

“It’s fine Ajusshi. I was the one who bumped to him, I was distracted.”

The old man seemed more comfortable after hearing those words and smiled at her. He looked to his son and then to his watch. He looked surprised and a little excited, but she was almost sure why that was. His grandson was coming back so naturally he was happy about it and couldn’t hide it.

“Your nephew is already here! He went to get something to drink and now he’s waiting for us. Let’s go.”

The old man didn’t even said goodbye to Krystal. He just left the hall at full speed. He looked like a kid on Christmas, but she didn’t mind, she understood it completely and smiled. In the other hand the man she was talking to 5minutes ago was still standing there staring at her.  He gave a gentle smile and reached for her hand.

“Nice to meet you Krystal. I hope I see you again sometime soon.”

She nodded at that and tried her hardest not to smile even more. She felt like she was looking at her first crush ever and didn’t know how to control her own emotions, something that worried her a lot.

“Me too.  And I hope next time we meet you tell me your name.”

He smiled at her a bit more and she could swear she saw him winking, but then again she could be imagining things. It wouldn’t be a first.

“It's a promise.”