I don't love you anymore...when did I ever love you...

Falling Hurts (When Someone Is On Your Mind)

 

“Did you hear? Kristy is coming back tomorrow.”

“I bet she hasn’t heard anything about Jerome’s accident.”

“Apparently she made out with strangers while she partied there.”

“Apparently? Are you kidding me? It’s more like a fact than a rumor.”

“Pssh, don’t be mean. Would you judge everyone around by rumors?”

“Even if they’re true? Come on. Remember last time, when she-“

“Shh be quiet. There’s Lance over there.”

Man, the school was like a sieve for secrets. You could hear anything. I shook my head and went to my first class.

At study period, I waited at the media center, reviewing my notes from yesterday.

“Hello.” Karen sat down. “I heard your girlfriend is coming tomorrow.”

I shrugged and looked back down at my notes.

“Hey.” I felt a nudge on my shoulder. “You’re not even excited?”

I sighed and looked up, putting down my pencil. “Ever since the accident, I don’t feel like myself. I don’t even know why I made some choices. Maybe I am being my real self. Either way, I’m changed and something of my past coming back…It just doesn’t feel right.”

“I see.” She pushed back hair behind her ear. “And me?”

“What about you?”

“Where do I belong? Does it feel right that I’m your tutor and all?”

I thought for a moment. “Well, you were never part of my past. So it does feel right. Though I don’t see you as my tutor.”

“Then what do you see me as?”

“A friend. A true friend. A tutor probably wouldn’t want to volunteer their own time to teach me, or even talk to me when we bump into each other.”

A smile formed on Karen’s face. “You know Jerome, for a jock, you’re pretty smart.”

I grinned back. “You know Karen, for a nerd, you’re not stuck-up.”

 

“Jerome!” I turned and saw Kristy rush up, with a huge smile on her face, her blond hair flying behind her as she ran. As she came closer, I saw her tanned, petite figure. She reached over to hug me, but I just stood there. It was like I forgot how to react, where all of my body turned to ice.

“I heard about the accident.” She said, as she pulled away and looked at my broken arm. “I’m so sorry! It must have hurt a lot. Does moving cause a lot of pain? I can-“

“I don’t need your pity,” I said softly, with ice moving from my body to my voice.

She stepped back, stunned. “Well, okay.”

“Tell me. Did you really make out with a hundred guys while you were away?”

“What?”

“Everyone has been talking about it.”

Her face reddened. “I will kill that girl. I told her to-“

“Is it true?” I interrupted.

“I don’t see why you’re asking this like it’s a big deal!” She burst out, flustered. “You know I had dated guys before you, and you don’t mind. You even go clubbing without me sometimes-“ She turned away, wanting to leave the conversation with the last word.

I grabbed her shoulder with my good hand. “Tell me.”

She stared at me for a long moment, then looked down. “I made out with five guys, and stayed with one for a night.”

My hand dropped. “I see.” I turned to leave.

“Wait!” She grabbed my right hand. “Does that mean you forgive me?”

I turned around. “I don’t know. You cheated on me, but you didn’t lie about it. I need some time to think.”

Kristy let go of my hand, with a confused look. “You know, Jerome, you’re different from before.”

“That’s what tragedy does to people.” I turned around and walked to school. 

*

THUMBS UP IF YOU APPROVE OF YESUNG'S ACTIONS....wait. You can't thumbs up here. MMMPHHHHH