1.

Obsession

 

 

It was burning hot outside. Too hot. The day’s schedules hadn’t gone well, and exhausted and burned out, the members of the boy group Infinite were piled into their van, heading toward the Woolim Company building for more work.

 

. I’m so not in the mood for recording tracks. I’m probably going to get yelled at for being a terrible singer anyway. Lee Sungjong thought to himself as he fanned his sweating forehead.

 

Finally the van arrived in front of a side entrance to the Woolim Company, and the members filed into the cool, air-conditioned building with welcoming sighs. Sunggyu led the way through narrow hallways to the large practice room where the members usually stopped by when they came to the company.  As the members walked in, a stream of blaring, fast-paced music flowing through the door greeted them. Hesitantly, the Infinite boys tiptoed toward a row of chairs to their nearest wall and took seats, eyeing the people in the room quizzically.

 

Dongmin hyung, Infinite’s main choreography instructor, stood next to the sound system against a wall, watching the opposite wall which was covered from floor to ceiling with a huge mirror. In the middle of the practice room, five girls were dancing to Infinite’s ‘Come Back Again.’

 

Can this bunch of girls follow our song’s routine? Sungjong thought doubtfully as he and the rest of the members watched. As the music continued, it was obvious that the girls were matching every single one of Infinite’s moves perfectly. In the mirror, the group seemed as synchronized and together as Infinite themselves, who was well-known for their knife-sharp synchronization. The music moved on to Hoya’s and Dongwoo’s dance break. Two of the girls stepped up and followed those moves flawlessly as well.

 

The five girls dancing in the practice room were none other than Woolim’s new girl group trainees. One of them was Infinite’s everlasting younger sister and friend, Yoo Jiae, who had spent three months with Infinite before their debut, filming a show called ‘Infinite - You Are My Oppa.’ Actually the same age as Sungjong, Jiae had originally planned to become a trainee for acting at Woolim, but she was recruited into the girl group some time ago. Sungjong felt a pang of guilt as a thought passed in his head. Jiae, in a girl group? I don’t know if that’s such a good idea...

 

The other girls, according to Youngjun and Hyoan, two of Infinite’s managers, were all incredibly talented. Kim Dahee, the oldest of the girls and two years older than Sungjong, was gracefully tall and beautiful, yet boyish. Kim Soojung, also called Baby Soul from her featuring in Infinite H’s track ‘Crying’, was a year older than Sungjong, with elfish features. Jo Yejin, the youngest girl, was a year younger than Sungjong, but was almost as tall as he and even paler.

 

And then there was Hyera, a girl the same age as Sungjong and Jiae. She was the shortest girl in the group, and apparently, according to Hyoan hyung, could sing through the roof, Whitney Houston style. Something about her bugged Sungjong to no end. She had mostly plain features: straight, small nose, pinkish lips, overall small face, and black hair that reached her shoulders, cut in layers around her head. Her eyes, however, were far from plain. Inside her eye sockets were a pair of deep brown eyes that gleamed when they laid their gaze on their surroundings. The way they operated, they seemed to look at everything, everywhere, all at once. They weren’t too small or too big, but crystal clear and blindingly bright. They twinkled as certain angles of the light became trapped inside her eyelids. They glared frightfully with every single move she made, shooting rays of luminescent light to whatever she happened to be looking at. In plain words, they were simply menacing, and from the very moment Sungjong laid eyes on those piercing eyes, he had dreaded them inwardly.

 

The five girls danced intensely to the music. Honestly, Sungjong had his doubts about the managers’ claims. Despite the fact that the girls were following Infinite’s ‘Come Back Again’ moves exactly, they lacked the fervor and passion one requires when dancing, at least to Sungjong’s eyes. The only reason they were successfully carrying out the routine in the first place, was most likely because Dongmin hyung had yelled at them furiously night after night.

 

The music came to an end and the Infinite members beside Sungjong clapped at the girls. Turning toward the Infinite boys with shocked expressions, the girls immediately bowed their upper bodies in 90 degree angles and greeted their Sunbaes. “Oppa-deul!!” They called, hopping towards them energetically.

 

The rest of the Infinite members adored their Hoobae trainees, especially Hoya, who loved teaching them to be more efficient dancers. Sungjong, however, felt a tinge of rivalry arising within him every time he saw the girls. They weren’t as hard-working as he was, and no way were they even remotely prettier than he.

 

Jiae, having known the members longest, gave each of the members light hugs. The other girls lingered behind her, eying Jiae enviously. Dongwoo waved individually at Soojung, as he had gotten to know her well from recording “Crying” together. She returned a jovial, two-handed wave.

 

Turning to Sungyeol, Jiae asked, “Where’s Myungsoo Oppa?” She already knew the answer. Of course Myungsoo was in Japan for his drama, but Jiae always felt the need to mention him whenever he wasn’t there.

 

“Duh, in Japan,” said Sungyeol plainly, “You know that!” Of course she did. Jiae absentmindedly let her eyes wander, thinking back to the last he’d returned from Japan. That cheap old Myungsoo had gotten her a miniscule Tokyo key chain, with one, simple, dumb remark: “Hey, at least you got something!”

 

True. Not even the Infinite members had received any sort of gift from that miser, Myungsoo. But the key chain had been ugly. He’d most likely just purchased it last minute at the airport… Jiae’s thoughts were interrupted as Sungyeol butted in.

 

“Hey, you guys were great just now! That was almost perfect! Almost, haha, but not quite like us.” Sungyeol laughed.

 

Sungjong, who sat with his arms crossed in his chair, didn’t think it was all that funny.

 

“Yeah, you must have worked really hard to get that choreography!” Sunggyu called to the other trainee girls. They perked up as they realized they were being addressed.

 

Dongmin hyung, who had shut off the sound system, walked toward the door, calling, “Hey Infinite guys, recording room in ten minutes! And girls, just take a quick break and get back to practicing!”

 

The Infinite boys moaned at the thought of agonizing recording work, while the girls only complained silently in their heads.

 

“Oppa deul! So how do you guys feel, now that you’ve won two number one titles! Anything especially different, when you go places?” exclaimed Dahee, changing the subject.

 

Last week, the Infinite boys had claimed their second number one title on M! Countdown with their title song “Be Mine”, a feat the group had welcomed with awe.

 

“I think they definitely have a more mature and grown up aura to them!” added Yejin in her squirmy, high-pitched voice. Sungjong rolled his eyes.

 

“Oh geez, thanks!” said Sunggyu sheepishly.

 

“But I don’t know that we feel any different, maybe a bit more pressured now to work harder,” Woohyun pointed out.

 

“I’m sure being number one motivates you to work extra hard. But you should get to enjoy your success at least somewhat!!” said Hyera, smiling.

 

“Well, I guess you’re right,” shrugged Woohyun.

 

“You know, I was gonna say, you guys were really good just now, but I feel like you could use some more power and zeal in your movements,” said Hoya, looking around at the girls. The girls nodded at Hoya. They sure loved his advice.

 

“I think they actually need a whole lot more zeal, Hoya hyung,” Sungjong remarked coolly, “You guys weren’t really that great. You could definitely use more practice.”

 

The room became silent as Sungjong’s words sank in. The girls immediately assumed humble, embarrassed expressions, eyes aimed toward their shoes or the floor.

 

“Come on Sungjong,” said Dongwoo, “They’ve worked hard! Don’t be like that,” The girls listened for Sungjong’s response worriedly.

 

“Hmmph! Worked hard? Yeah, I guess, afraid that Dongmin hyung will kick them out. They don’t know what working hard means. All they are is a bunch of amateurs.”

 

Hyera, the girl with the alluring eyes, stepped forward and looked up at Sungjong directly, making Sungjong flinch. Those piercing, ominous eyes seemed to shoot invisible lasers toward him, making him want to look away. But he returned her gaze coolly, the rivalry within him rising.  

 

“I assure you, Sungjong sunbae, we’ve all worked really hard. And we know we’re not perfect, but we’re going to make ourselves perfect, just like you guys,” Hyera said firmly.

 

“Oh, we’ll see about that,” answered Sungjong coldly, though his ears were firing up for some reason. “Let’s go Hyungs, we need to record.” He his heels and walked step by step toward the door. He could feel the penetrating, foreboding stare of the girl, Hyera, targeting the back of his head. His palms were sweating, and he couldn’t get the image of the clear, striking, frightful pair of eyes out of his mind.

 

“Yah, Lee Sungjong! Why are you so harsh on them?” Woohyun asked as the members followed Sungjong out of the practice room.

 

“That’s the way they need to be trained,” Sungjong answered expressionlessly, though his mind was buzzing with the girl’s eyes burned in his head, “That’s how we were trained, weren’t we?”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The Infinite members were recording their individual parts, one at a time. Hoya was currently in the recording studio with a crew of staff and the Infinite managers. The others sat in a room next to the studio, in sofas and chairs. Sungyeol and Sunggyu slept; Dongwoo and Woohyun’s faces were absorbed in their laptops. Sungjong sat slumped in a chair. His mind thoughtlessly wandered to an instance a few weeks ago…

 

 

The Infinite members had been resting in the exact same room. Sungjong sat on the largest sofa in the room, next to Myungsoo who munched on a bag of corn chips. Three other sofas, two round tables, and several chairs also occupied the room, five spots of which were taken by the other Infinite members. The trainee girls, seemingly having been granted some rest as well, had filed into the room also. The Infinite boys greeted them simply.

 

Jiae plopped down on a spot next to Myungsoo, reaching into his bag of corn chips without asking.

 

“Hey!” said Myungsoo, eyeing Jiae as she placed corn chips in . A gleam of sweat trickled from her forehead. The girls had been practicing again.

 

“Don’t I smell nice?” Jiae asked, taking two of her fingers, wiping the sweat off her forehead, and rubbing it on Myungsoo’s shirt. Myungsoo frowned, staring at the sweat stain on his T-shirt, but then reached his wrist up to Jiae’s head, wiping the rest of her sweat then patting his wrist dry on his shirt. “You smell really good,” he said, smirking.

 

“Ewww oppa!!” Jiae cried, snickering. Myungsoo only continued munching on his corn chips with a mischievous smirk pasted on his face.

 

The other girls weren’t as close to the Infinite members like Jiae. They kept their safe distances from the boys and did their own things. Yejin, sitting in a chair at a table across from Sungjong, stretched her legs out in front of her. They were thin, white, extremely long, and shapely. After gazing at Yejin’s legs for a moment, Sungjong sneakily eyed his own legs, which were covered by dark pants. He shrugged. Even without comparing them eye to eye, his legs were probably just as fine, if it weren’t for the masculine hairs on them.

 

Sunggyu and Dongwoo began chatting with Soojung, Dahee, and Hyera. Sungjong got up and walked out of the room, needing to use the toilet.

 

The halls seemed to be extremely silent as Sungjong wiped his wet hands on a paper cloth, trashed it, and then walked out of the men’s room. Turning from the exit, Sungjong almost bumped into a figure coming straight at him.

 

“Whoa!” He exclaimed, backtracking a few steps.

 

“Sorry!” said the figure, also flinching back in surprise. It was the girl Hyera. Her hair was tied back in a tail behind her head, and she wore a green tank top with gray shorts. She stared at Sungjong, with her freakish, luminous, magnificent eyes.

 

“Oh Hi Sungjong sunbae!” she said, in a raised voice.

 

Her greeting startled Sungjong. He kept looking at Hyera’s eyes, unable to tear his gaze away. He blinked once, then twice. Finally, he spoke.

 

“Hi?? Well Hi to you too, I guess. Watch where the freak you’re going,” He stepped past her to leave, but then turned back around, feeling heat rising up in his chest as if some devil had possessed him. “And while I’m at it, I really wanna point out how you don’t seem to be sweating as much as Jiae or the other girls. Do you not work as hard as them? Do you feel like you don’t need to put all your effort into dance training, because you know you’re the main vocal?” He snapped at her unexpectedly.

 

Hyera’s eyes seemed to shift from her super brilliant glare to ultra-super brilliant gleam, as she stared at Sungjong, letting his remark sink in. Those wretched, polished pupils may as well have blinded Sungjong, so that he didn’t have to look at them anymore.

 

“No, Sunbae, I don’t feel that way at all,” she replied, voice lowering.

 

“Really? Because it seems like it to me. But I think you’re mistaken. Sunggyu hyung, despite being the most experienced vocal in our group, trains endlessly and makes sure that all of us train vigorously. Do you understand what kind of dedication that takes? You and your group of pretty little girls? HUH?”

 

Sungjong’s fists were clenched as he stared into Hyera’s frightening eyes. They were burning into him, making his insides churn. Something about her eyes seemed to draw Sungjong’s senses into mayhem, and all he felt he could do was yell at her in fury. What was wrong with him?

 

Hyera, shifting her weight from both of her feet to one foot, let out a quick breath. She placed one hand on her hip in annoyance. “What are you trying to say? What do you want from me? I didn’t bump into you in front of the bathroom here, for this!” She said, the light in her eyes flaring wildly.

 

Sungjong felt his ears burning. “What did you just say to me?! You and the rest of the girls, you have no idea what hard work is!! And obviously you have no respect for your sunbaes!! I’m telling you, that you, or any of those girls for that matter, are definitely not fit enough for this profession!!!” he was yelling, head flailing abruptly.

 

The girl and her scary eyes scowled at Sungjong. In a much deeper voice than before, so deeper, that Sungjong almost feared that a devil of its own had possessed her voice, she replied coldly, “YOU THINK YOU’RE SO SUPERIOR AND WELL-OFF BECAUSE YOU’VE DEBUTED AND YOUR POPULARITY IS RISING, WITH YOUR TWO TITLES. BUT HEADS UP, MISTER, I SPEAK FOR THE OTHER GIRLS TOO WHEN I SAY, I DON’T NEED TO TAKE ADVICE FROM FOOLISH SUNBAES LIKE YOU.”

 

With that, she stepped past Sungjong and started walking away. Caught by complete surprise by the break of their eye contact and fuming with the mysterious anger overtaking him, Sungjong spun and snatched her by the shoulder, turning her around forcefully. “Aah!” Hyera cried.

 

Her eyes gazed back at Sungjong again as she was forced to face him. The coldness radiating from them, combined with the frightening glisten in her brown pupils, sent goose bumps down Sungjong’s neck. He focused on some other part of her face, her smallish nose, her flushed cheeks, her pinkish lips, anywhere but those burning pupils.

 

“Listen, you stupid trainee girl. A girl like you will never make it. You don’t stand a chance. I KNOW.” bellowed Sungjong, fully aware of the menace in his own voice. The girl’s eyes didn’t even flinch, just glared back at his face, burning holes in it.

 

Sungjong let go of her shoulder, turned, and walked away. His hand, which had been clutching Hyera’s shoulder, hurt from the force. His heart was pounding crazily, and his head ached. The most bewildering thing, however, was the image of the girl’s dreadful, bright eyes, searing into his brain and threatening to drive him insane.  

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N : The chapter may seem just a bit dull... but I wanted to really focus on certain details, to make the story flow later.

As for the girls being so close with Infinite all the time... I understand that according to sources, Infinite does not spend much time, if any at all, with Woolim's girl group trainees. But I do think there is interaction on a friendly level, since Hoya did happen to mention the Woolim trainees in his "Thanks To" in OVER THE TOP. What I really want to say is, this story is really only fiction! It may not fit with what Infinite goes through in reality. That's okay! I'm merely writing a Fanfic :)