Talk

Just Kids

A couple of days later I woke up to someone’s body wrapped around mine.

“What the ?” I muttered groggily, panicking. I tried to disentangle myself from the person.

“Shh.” The person whispered, a girl, snuggling closer to me.

“MOM!” I yelled, half-asleep and very scared. “Mom, someone broke in and they’re snuggling with me!”

I heard the muffled footsteps of my parents running down the hallway as the girl next to me yawned and rubbed her eyes.

“Jimin, what’s going on?” My dad burst into my room, looking all around.

My mom started to laugh as the girl sat up, hair falling into her face.

“Sweetheart, I said I’d wake him up for you. I didn’t expect you to fall asleep in here.”

“Sorry, Mrs. Park.” She murmured.

I sat up and took a good look at her.

“What the ?” I whispered again, barely registering my father’s smack on the back of my head for the swear word. “Why are you in my bed?”

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” She reached out and ruffled my hair, a sleepy smile on her face.

“What kind of amazing dream is this?” I crawled closer to her, pushing her down onto the bed and kissing her deeply.

I felt hands on my shoulders and before I knew it, I was dragged out of bed and onto the floor by my father.

“You’re not dreaming, you fool.” He hissed, pinching my cheek.

“Dad!” I whined, rubbing my cheek. “I’m half-asleep. What is going on?”

“I came to see you.” She said quietly, sitting up. Her face glowed bright red with embarrassment. “But you were still sleeping. I came in here to wake you up, but you looked so cute that I just kind of ended up cuddling with you and falling asleep, too.”

“Why did you think a stranger was in your bed?” My mom laughed, helping me up off the floor.

“I don’t know. It could have been some crazy fan. You never know!” I cried, defending myself as they all laughed at me.

“It’s just me.” She smiled.

 

I shooed my parents out of the room and wandered over to my dresser, throwing a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants on.

“I can’t believe you kissed me like that in front of your parents.” She giggled as I crawled back into bed next to her.

“I really thought I was dreaming.” I murmured, pulling her into my lap.

“Good morning.” She whispered, tracing her finger along my nose.

“Good morning.” I whispered back. I leaned in and caught her lips in a kiss.

 

We sat there for a while like that, exchanging sweet little kisses.

“It’s so nice to see you again.” I murmured in between kisses. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“I thought we could talk.” She gave me one last kiss and leaned back, sitting comfortably on my thighs.

“Okay.” I smiled at her, completely enamored. I didn’t want her to ever leave my arms again. “What do you wanna talk about?”

“Us.” She grinned, cocking her head to one side. “You said we needed to talk if we wanted to get back together.”

“I’d really just rather kiss you right now.” I rested my palm against the back of her neck, drawing her close to me once more. She gave in willingly, pushing her tongue into my mouth as I moved my hands down her body, struggling to her jeans.

“Your parents are home.” She whispered, pushing my hands away.

“They’re not.” I kissed her nose. “I heard them go out. Didn’t you hear it, too? One of them slammed the door on their way out.”

“What if they come back?” She bit her lip, worried.

“We’ll be quiet.” I promised, wrapping my fingers around her waist. “We don’t have to, baby.”

She gave me a smile, dimples flashing.

“What?” I asked, leaning forward to rub our noses together. “Why are you smiling at me like that?”

“You called me baby.” She kissed me softly.

“Baby, I love you.” I breathed, slipping my hands under her shirt, my fingers dancing across her hips.

“I love you, too, Jimin.” She whispered.  “Sorry for breaking up with you.”

“Sorry for kissing another girl.” I replied, resting my forehead against hers. “And then kissing you right after.”

She wrinkled her nose. “I hated that.”

“I hated it, too.” I confessed, remembering how I’d lain on the floor after she’d gone, too sad to move. “I hated being apart from you.”

 

 

We sat in silence for a little while, just looking at each other. Her face had gotten chubbier since the last time I’d seen her this close up. She looked so cute.

“Jimin.” She bent her head and kissed along my neck. “Do you think we’ll always be in love like this?”

“I don’t know.” I replied, surprised. “You never know with this kind of thing, do you? We just have to keep it going.”

“I’m afraid of losing you again.” She sat up on my thighs and gazed at me, a serious look in her eyes. “I need you to trust me.”

“I trust you, baby.” I told her, leaning closer for a kiss. She dodged my attempt and fixed me with a look.

“You don’t.” She stated quietly. “If you trusted me, you wouldn’t have gotten so mad about Adam.”

“He wanted you.” I said, suddenly feeling on edge. Were we really about to get into this?

“It doesn’t matter.” She said softly, gently. “I need you to trust that I only want you. And you don’t.”

“Well, you keep doing things that make me feel unsafe!” I cried, becoming angry. “Don’t ignore me for a whole month and then come home with some guy if you don’t want me to get suspicious.”

She fell silent for a moment.

“Boys are going to want me, Jimin.” She said, playing with her fingers as her hands rested in her lap. “And you’re just going to have to deal with it.”

 I stared at her, my mouth flattening into a thin, displeased line.

“I couldn’t talk to you because of my job.” She continued. “Not because I liked hanging out with Adam more than you. He’s just a coworker. I kept canceling dates because my boss likes to go out after work and get drunk and I was told it would be bad for my career if I didn’t go. I’m trying to become a writer, Jimin. I’m trying to follow my dream. You should know better than anyone what it takes.”

“I do. I don’t ignore you, though.” I argued, feeling stubborn.

“You’ve also been doing this for years.” She pointed out. “You know what it’s going to be like when your schedule’s crazy and you’ve been dieting and not sleeping and performing. You stay up until dawn practicing and you have been since you were a teenager, but I haven’t. I haven’t figured out how to balance Seoul and a new job and a still fairly new relationship. We’re still new, Jimin. It’s been eight months or whatever, but we existed in like this ethereal cloud of infatuation. ’s about to get real and I need to know you have my back.”

“ has been real.” I muttered sullenly. “You broke up with me.”

“Yeah, and you made out with another girl in front of me before kissing me. That’s not really having my back.” She snapped, crossing her arms. “Jimin, I’m trying to have an adult conversation with you.”

I stared at her, my eyebrows furrowing as I frowned.

She sighed and leaned in close to me, her hair tickling my cheeks.

“I love you.” She said softly. “And I want to make this work with you.”

“I love you, too.” I murmured, softening. “Baby, you know I love you.”

“I need you to trust me.” She whispered, cupping my face in her hands. “I need you to know that I love you. Okay? I don’t want any Adams or Tae Joons or anyone else. I just want you, Jimin.”

“Please don’t ignore me again.” I mumbled, head dropping down to rest on her shoulder. “I can’t handle it when you push me away.”

“Okay.” She ran her hand through my hair. “I can do that for you.”

“I’ll try and trust you more.” I promised. “Even if I don’t trust the guys around you.”

“That’s annoying.” She kissed my nose. “I’m smart enough to choose my friends wisely. Even if they’re into me, I can still be friends with them. Not close friends, but you know I would never cheat on you.”

“It just makes me feel uneasy.” I told her, tucking her hair behind her ear. “I don’t like it.”

“I don’t like you hanging out with Gemma, but I’m not about to stop you.” She bent her head and kissed along the edge of my ear. My heart started to race as she held it between her teeth for a moment. “So please respect the people I choose to be friends with. Also, Adam’s not even my friend. He’s just my coworker.”

“Gemma said she doesn’t have feelings for me.” I held her close against my chest.

“See, I don’t trust that, but I trust you. So, even if I think Gemma’s in love with you, I trust you to not cheat on me with her.” She smiled against my chest, sounding too smug for my liking.

“I can’t promise that I’ll never get jealous again. But if you don’t shut me out, I think I’ll feel more secure in our relationship.” I ran my fingers through her hair.

“So, can we get back together?” She asked, kissing my chest. I felt the warmth of her lips through the thin fabric of my t-shirt.

“Yeah.” I whispered, pulling her up so I could kiss her. “We can.”