23rd Birthday Pt. 1

Just Kids

“Shh, shh. It’s okay.” I comforted the trembling little puppy in my arms.

“It’s so cute!” Taehyung crooned, reaching out for it. I gently passed it to him and he snuggled it up against his cheek.

“Ah, a puppy!” Jungkook came over excitedly. He under the puppy’s chin before he turned to me. “Jimin, why do you have a puppy?”

“It’s a present for my girlfriend. Her birthday’s today, so I’m going to surprise her.” I smiled, anticipating her reaction.

“Does she know you’re coming?” Jin asked, coming over to inspect the puppy. The cute little white fluffball got passed around to all the members before finally making his way back to me.

“Nah.” I shook my head as I gently the puppy. He under my chin, making me giggle. I passed him to Yoongi, who gladly accepted him. “She’s currently pissed at me because I can’t make it.”

“But you can make it.” Hoseok said slowly, not understanding.

“Yeah, but she doesn’t know that. That’s why it’s a surprise.” I grinned. “I’m leaving soon to go see her. I won’t get there until late, though.”

“Did you name the puppy yet?” Jungkook asked, taking it from Yoongi. “He looks like a cotton ball. Or a marshmallow.”

“I’m gonna let her name it.” I decided. “Isn’t he so cute?”

“Yeah, really cute.” Jin smiled, scratching the puppy’s little ears.

“Jimin, time to go!” My manager called as she walked in the door. I nodded and took the puppy from Jin.

“Bye, guys! See you in a few days.” I waved and safely stowed the puppy in his little cage. He whimpered at me and I suddenly felt sad that he had to hang out in there by himself.

“Don’t worry.” I whispered to him as I carried him out to the car. “She’s going to love you.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

HER POV

 

“Sunshine, stop moping.” Ji Eun ordered. “We all know you’re sad pretty boy isn’t here, but it’s your birthday. Have some pep in your step.”

“You sound like my mom.” I grumbled. “What are we doing tonight?”

“Well, there’s that bonfire on the beach.” Sul suggested. “Most of our friends are going to be there.”

“Tae Joon’s going.” My cousin informed us as he walked in the door. He had six bottles of soju with him. We were all hanging out in my apartment after dinner, trying to think of something fun to do for my birthday. Apparently, getting wasted was definitely one of the options. Six bottles of soju, really? I probably need that much to loosen up. I wanted to have a good time, but I missed Jimin. I’d stupidly hoped that he would somehow be able to come see me.

“Ugh.” I groaned. “I definitely don’t want to be harassed by Tae Joon on my birthday.”

“Come on, let’s just go.” Ji Eun pressed. “You probably won’t even see him. And don’t you want to celebrate your birthday with your friends? No one’s going to let Tae Joon bother you today. Not even your useless cousin.” She added, glaring at him. He flushed.

“Tae Joon and I have been friends for a long time.” He muttered, scratching the back of his neck. “Besides, it’s not like I even know the reason why they broke up.”

“That’s because I don’t want you to take sides.” I said quietly. “Let’s just drop it. I don’t want to think about him.”

 

 

My phone began to ring. I checked the caller ID, grinning when I saw Jimin’s name.

“You guys go ahead to the bonfire. I’ll meet you there.” I waved them off. “And then we’ll party, I swear. I’ll at least get tipsy tonight. Bring the soju with you!”

They cheered and headed out the door as I picked up the phone.

“Happy birthday!” Jimin cried as soon as I answered.

“Thanks!” I smiled.

“How’s your day been?” He asked.

“Pretty good. I’ve been hanging out with my roommates and my cousin all day. It’s nice that my birthday’s on a Saturday this year. I’ve always hated working on my birthday.” I sat on the couch and tucked my knees up into my chest, happy to be talking to Jimin. It had been a few days since we’d talked.

“What are you doing right now?” Jimin asked, a smile in his voice.

“Right now, I’m sitting on the couch talking to you.” I told him. “I’m meeting everyone at the bonfire later when I get off the phone with you.”

“Oh, another bonfire? Is that like your thing to do?” Jimin laughed. “It sounds fun.”

“When are you coming home?” I asked.

“Um…I’m not sure, baby. I think in like two weeks.” Jimin said quietly.

“Two weeks!?” I cried. “That’s already the middle of July!”

“Yeah, but then we can hang out almost all the time until mid-September.” He said, trying to coax me into a better mood.

“Fine.” I sighed. “What are you doing right now?”

“Me?” Jimin sounded surprised.

“No, my other boyfriend that I’m on the phone with.” I said sarcastically.

“I’m walking up a bunch of steps.” He said.

“Okay.” I said slowly. “Why?”

“The elevator’s broken in this building.”

“Huh, that’s funny. Our elevator’s broken, too.” I got up and poured myself a glass of water. “Where are you going?”

“I have to drop something off at someone’s apartment.” Jimin replied vaguely.

 

Just then, the doorbell rang.

“Hold on a second, someone’s at the door.” I said.

“Why don’t you just call me back?” Jimin suggested.

“Okay, just wait a few minutes.”

The doorbell rang again.

“Coming!” I called. I unlocked it and opened it a crack, peeking to see who was there.

Jimin’s smiling face greeted me.

“Happy birthday, baby.” He flashed me his most charming smile.

I threw open the door and practically catapulted myself into his arms.

“You miss me?” Jimin laughed, hugging me tightly. “What an enthusiastic greeting.”

“I missed you.” I whispered, snuggling into his chest.

“I missed you, too.” He said softly, pulling my face up and kissing me tenderly. “Happy birthday.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

JIMIN’S POV

 

After a few moments, she broke away from me and pulled me into the apartment. I squeezed her hand tightly, reluctant to let her go. I shut the door behind us and pulled her back into my arms for another hug.

“Thanks for being born.” I whispered in her ear. “I’m glad you exist.”

“Huuu, so cheesy.” She mumbled, hiding her blushing face in my chest. So damn cute.

“Don’t ruin the moment.” I scolded, hugging her tightly.

“Jimin, you’re crushing me.” She wheezed. “I can’t breathe.”

I laughed and let her go. “Sorry, baby.” I kissed her forehead.

 

We looked into each other’s eyes for a sweet moment before she smiled at me.

“So, where’s my gift?” She asked, mischief glinting in her eyes.

“I’m your gift.” I winked at her. “Best birthday present you’ve ever received, baby.”

She snickered. “Where’s my real gift?”

I shrugged off my backpack and handed it to her. Her eyes grew wide as she took it. She stared up at me, excitement clearly written on her face.

“Are you seriously giving me your Givenchy backpack?” She whispered, awestruck. I forced down my laughter.

“No. Your present’s in the bag.” I grinned.

She scowled at me before gingerly opening the zipper.

“Oh my gosh!” She shrieked, dropping the bag. Luckily, I caught it before it hit the ground.

I reached my hand in and pulled out the little puppy. She stared at me, open-mouthed in shock.

I bit my lip. “Do you hate it?” I asked worriedly.

“You got me a puppy.” She said blankly.

“Ah…you don’t have to keep him. My members seemed to really like him, so it’s okay if you don’t want him. They can keep him. Sorry, maybe I shouldn’t have surprised you like this.” I rambled, feeling heavy with disappointment. Maybe I should have just given her the backpack. The puppy barked softly in my hands.

“Give him to me.” She demanded quietly. I obediently handed him over. She gently his head before kissing his nose. “Hi, baby.” She whispered. “Aren’t you sweet?”

“Do you like him?” I asked. Her lack of reaction was killing me.

“Come here.” She whispered, beckoning me closer. I bent my head, thinking she was going to whisper something in my ear. Instead, she held my chin and pulled me in for a kiss. A really, really sweet kiss that let me know I’d definitely picked out the right present.

“I love him.” She said softly as she drew back. She gave me another soft kiss. “You’re so wonderful, Jimin.”

I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face. “Well, happy birthday.” I said, trying not to show how pleased I felt.

“What’s his name?” She cooed, kissing his fur. He happily her face. “God, he’s so cute. Look at his little nose and his point ears. His face is so fluffy!”

“I thought you’d want to name him.” I said, enjoying her reactions.

“What does he look like to you?” She asked, holding him up so I could see his face.

“Adorable.” I laughed, petting him. “He’s so cute, isn’t he?”

“I love his cheeks.” She rubbed her nose against his. “And he’s so white, like a polar bear.”

“Yeah, he does kind of remind me of a polar bear.” I agreed.

“Ah, what should I name him? Polar Bear sounds silly. What about Yukon?” She looked up at me, smiling.

“Like the Yukon?” I raised an eyebrow at her. She nodded excitedly. Hey, if she liked it, I wasn’t about to say otherwise.

“Yeah, that’s cute.” I crooned, taking him from her. She latched herself to my side as I played with him, peeking at him and occasionally petting him.

“Thank you, Jimin.” She whispered, kissing my cheek unexpectedly.

“You’re welcome, baby.” I whispered back, turning my head and kissing her. “I checked with your roommates already and they’re very excited. I sent Ji Eun some money and she bought all the supplies, too, so he’s already got everything here. She said you could go in her room and get the stuff.”

 

She gave me another kiss before disappearing into Ji Eun’s room. I snuggled with the puppy while she excitedly dragged out the packages and unwrapped them.

“Cute, cute! Everything is so cute!” She groaned, burying her face in her hands.

“Who’s cuter, me or Yukon?” I asked, holding him up next to my face.

She studied us for a while. “Ah, you’re both cute.” She finally decided. “I can’t choose.”

“Who do you want to kiss more?” I puckered my lips at her as Yukon barked and my cheek.

“You.” She mumbled, hiding her face behind her hair.

“What was that, baby?” I asked, teasing her. “I couldn’t hear you.”

“You.” She lifter her head and narrowed her eyes at me. “Come over here and kiss me. It’s my birthday.”

I put Yukon down and crossed the room to where she was sitting. I sat down and pulled her into my lap.

“Happy birthday.” I breathed, kissing her forehead.

“Happy birthday.” I kissed her cheeks.

“Happy birthday.” I kissed her nose.

“Happy birthday, baby.” I kissed and she leaned into me, curling her fingers in my hair.

 

“I love my present.” She whispered in between kisses. My heart stuttered. I thought for a moment she was going to tell me she loved me.

“Yeah, he’s pretty cute, isn’t he?” I murmured, holding her waist. I tried to hide the rapid beating of my heart by adjusting her position on my lap.

“You’re pretty cute.” She replied, pressing her lips to mine. “I just wanna spend the rest of the night making out with you.”

“I’m not opposed to that idea.” I grinned. Yukon barked in the background, chewing on a toy.

“Is Yukon okay by himself?” She asked in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. We’d been together for almost three months, but since I saw her so infrequently, touching her still felt like new and exciting. Every little kiss still gave me butterflies in my stomach and every glance she sent me still had my heart beating fast.

“Eh…” I hesitated. “He’s still just a puppy. He’ll probably try and eat your shoes or something.”

She giggled. “Damn. I really just want to kiss you.”

“He’ll probably be fine for a little while longer.” I whispered, pulling her close to me.