Chapter 7

Spy Game

Bold = English

Italics = Thoughts

Normal = Korean


The last two hours of school seemed to have just breezed past and within a blink of an eye, the final school bell of the day rang. Jinyoung, Jaebum and Jackson met up with Youngjae at the gate, they also waved goodbye to Airin when Chanyeol came to pick her up. The four boys met up with Yugyeom and Bambam, who had a container of soup for Mark, outside Mark’s house. They pressed the doorbell and they waited for a few seconds before Mark opened the door. The boys noticed that Mark had a bandage around his left arm.

“What happened to you man?” Asked Jackson.

“I’ll tell you guys in a little while.” Said Mark.

The boys entered the house and settled themselves on the couch.

“So what happened to you?” Asked Jaebum, entering his leader mode.

“I was on my way to school this morning when I saw someone following me. It was probably a man who is at least in his twenties. I took the longer route to school but he threw a bunch of penknives at me before he escaped into a lorry driven by someone else, I couldn’t really see their faces though. No major injuries except this cut here, but I was already late when I came home to change my uniform since my blazer had a huge cut on the left sleeve. So, I called the school informing them that I was sick.” Said Mark.

“Did you tell your parents?” Asked Jinyoung.

Mark shook his head, “No, I can take care of myself. But if I’m still being followed over the next few days, I’ll tell them.”

“You should tell them, you got hurt.” Said Jaebum.

“Not now, Jaebum.” Said Mark, calmly.

“Mark hyung, here is some soup for you.” Said Bambam.

“Thanks you two.” Said Mark, with a grin.

“So, anything interesting happened in school today?” Asked Mark.

“Other than our resident ice princess also being absent and Sungjun harassing Eunji-shi, everything else was fine.” Replied Jackson.

Mark raised an eyebrow at the reply so Jaebum and Jinyoung explained the two situations.

“Soojung-shi was also absent from school today, we don’t know what exactly happened but we were a little suspicious when we realised that the two of you were absent from school today. We initially thought that she did something to you but she probably can’t since she is a civilian.” Said Jaebum.

“Sungjun got his name on the record again after he harassed Eunji-shi. Youngjae sent his name to the principal after that incident but he probably won’t be harassing her again. It was pretty obvious at that time that Eunji-shi hated his guts.” Said Jinyoung.

“I see.” Nodded Mark, but secretly he was glad that the boys were there to help Airin and that she hated that guy’s guts.

“Oh yeah, Eunji-shi sends her regards too.” Added Jackson.

Mark raised an eyebrow but nodded anyway.

“Mark, have you ever thought of getting a girlfriend soon?” Asked Jackson.

Mark almost spit out his soup and sent Jackson a look, “I have no interest in dating at the moment.”

“Jaebum, Jinyoung and I think that Eunji-shi is the perfect girl for you. The two of you have similar personalities and would go well together.” Said Jackson, completely ignoring Mark’s reply.

“And what makes you think that?” Asked Mark.

“Well, her personality is very similar to Jinyoung’s and you get along well with him, so you will probably get along very well with her too. She is soft spoken but firm to her own values, just like you are. And not to mention that she is so nice, so she’ll treat you the best.” Said Jackson.

“And your point is?” Asked Mark.

“You should ask her out!” Said Jackson.

“No.” Said Mark, coolly.

“Mark, I agree with Jackson. You should date someone, and be like someone else who is of your age.” Said Jaebum.

“I’m fine with the way I am at the moment and besides it’s difficult for us to date because of our work.” Said Mark.

“We know but that is no reason for you to not enjoy your teenage life, dating is part of being a teenager.” Said Jackson.

“Like I said, I’m fine at the moment. I don’t have any interest in dating at the moment.” Said Mark.

“Alright, stop discussing about Mark’s love life. Jackson, respect how Mark thinks, he is our friend.” Said Jinyoung, interrupting the conversation.

“You mean non-existent love life.” Piped Jackson, before a glare from Mark made him shut up.

“Okay, we are here to visit Mark since he is injured. Please don’t make any unnecessary comments Jackson.” Said Jinyoung.

“Sorry hyung, Bambam and I have to go. We have a special online class in an hour.” Said Yugyeom.

“Me too, I have some stuff to do for the student council and I need to drop them off tomorrow morning.” Said Youngjae.

“Thanks for coming.” Said Mark.

Jinyoung helped them open the door while Mark touched his bandage. Jackson, Jinyoung, Jaebum and Mark then sat on the couch with Jaebum deciding to bring up a certain topic.

“We had a conversation with Eunji-shi this morning.” Spoke Jaebum.

“Why are you guys telling me this?” Asked Mark.

“Maybe you should let her open up to you at her own pace. Perhaps that it is something you do that makes her a little unnerved.” Said Jaebum.

“We know that you must be quite frustrated that she opened up to us faster than you even though you two are seatmates.” Said Jinyoung.

“Just be yourself, and who knows you might just make her fall for your charms.” Smirked Jackson.

“Why does this seem like a love consultation with three other people who are also single?” Asked Mark, sarcastically.

“Hey! At least we dated people!” Retorted Jackson.

“Jackson you did not date anyone.” Said Mark.

“At least he went on a date with someone before.” Said Jaebum.

Jinyoung cleared his throat, “Just leave Mark alone. He will sort out his own love life and problems. Mark doesn’t need us to complicate his problems further.”

“Mark we will get going, we’ll let you rest. We’ll come by again tomorrow.” Added Jinyoung.

Jinyoung picked up his bag and dragged Jackson towards the door while Jaebum picked up both of their bags. Mark showed them out and he waved goodbye to them. Mark sighed after his friends left. His parents were going to be coming back late and neither did he want to have instant food for dinner alone either. Mark slipped on his jacket, got his phone, wallet and keys before leaving the house to get some dinner. Mark headed to the convenience store to get some freshly cooked meals and there just happened to be some freshly prepared Chinese style fried rice for sale at the convenience store and Mark bought it. Mark then headed home to heat up his dinner. Mark sighed to himself as he ate his fried rice, his friends’ words were constantly repeating in his head, especially about Airin but definitely not the dating part but more of the getting to know her part.

“Song Airin, what are you doing to me?” Mumbled Mark.

Mark finished his dinner before going to take a bath. Mark removed his bandage and ran his finger along the cut. His arm was fine but it was going to take a while before the scar completely disappeared. Mark settled himself in his room after his bath. Mark heard his phone chime and he checked it and found a message from Jaebum, asking him if he wanted to go to a fair held by another high school in the neighbourhood tomorrow. Mark decided to go since he didn’t really have anything to do tomorrow. Mark left his phone on his study table and set his alarm clock before going to bed.


The next day…

Mark woke up when his alarm clock rang at 9am. Mark checked his phone for a message from Jaebum and he nodded when he saw that the meeting time was to be at 10am. Mark went to shower and he got dressed in a white shirt with a black jacket, jeans, a black cap and black sneakers. Mark slipped his phone and wallet into his jacket pocket before grabbing a piece of toast for breakfast and bidding his parents goodbye. Mark met up with the others outside Jaebum’s house.

“Is your arm better Mark hyung?” Asked Bambam.

“It is fine.” Said Mark.

“Shall we get going?” Asked Jaebum.

“Which school are we going to?” Asked Mark.

“Seoul District High School, it’s one of the best high schools in our area along with ours. This is a charity fun fair, half of the proceeds will each go to two of the local orphanages in the area.” Explained Jinyoung.

“Jinyoung and I saw the flyer for it when we were on our way home yesterday.” Said Jaebum.

“It’s crowded already.” Noted Yugyeom, when they arrived at the school gate.

The seven boys entered the school gate and Jackson was handed a flyer by one of the students.

“They have lots of different stuff.” Nodded Jackson.

The boys made their way around the school yard but Bambam and Yugyeom soon got excited when they saw someone.

“Bambam, is that Eunhyuk?” Asked Yugyeom, pointing to a black haired male who was dressed in a bright red jacket and jeans.

“It looks like him. We should take a look.” Said Bambam.

Bambam and Yugyeom dragged their hyungs to where the male was and Bambam tapped his shoulder.

“It is you, Eunhyuk. We thought that we saw you from afar.” Said Bambam.

Junho scratched his head, “I didn’t know that you guys were coming too. Are these your friends?”

“This is Youngjae hyung, Mark hyung, Jackson hyung, Jinyoung hyung and Jaebum hyung. They attend Seoul High School, just like your sister.” Said Yugyeom.

“It’s nice to meet you hyungs.” Nodded Junho.

“Hyungs, do you know his sister?” Asked Yugyeom.

“He looks a little like Eunji-shi.” Spoke Jackson.

Junho rolled his eyes, the similarity in their fake names were obvious but Junho also shared a few facial similarities with his sister such as their eyebrows and eyes.

“Eunji-shi is really your sister?” Asked Jackson,

Junho nodded, “She is around here somewhere, with one of our cousins.”

“Hyukkie! Why didn’t you tell me that you went somewhere on your own?” Asked a male voice from behind Junho.

Junho turned around and found Chanyeol walking up to him with a look of surprise.

“I was just talking to my school friends, Chanyeol hyung.” Said Junho.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m Park Chanyeol, I’m Junho’s cousin. Thank you for taking care of him since he is new here” Said Chanyeol with a bright smile.

The seven boys could only stare at how tall Chanyeol was, while Chanyeol chuckled.

“Eunhyuk, you can hang out with them. I’ll tell Eunji for you, she probably around here somewhere with our cousin.” Said Chanyeol.

“Are you sure hyung?” Asked Junho.

“I’m waiting for Joonmyeon hyung anyway.” Shrugged Chanyeol.

“You guys can go and play, we’ll be fine on our own.” Said Jaebum, nodding slightly.

Bambam and Yugyeom shared a smile before they dragged Junho off much to his protests. Chanyeol shook his head before he left as well.

“We might as well walk around this place and look for Eunji-shi.” Spoke Jackson.

The five boys headed to the left of the school yard and explored the fair.

“I think I see her!” Said Jackson, while nudging Mark.

Jackson pointed to a girl wearing a while hoodie with a black pleated skirt and white platform sneakers. She looked like Airin from her side profile but the boys weren't sure if it was actually her. But they finally confirmed that it was Airin when the girl turned around and she had a surprised expression on her face before she gave them a small smile and wave.

“That’s her.” Nodded Jaebum.

Jackson literally dragged Mark to where Airin was while the others followed behind.

“Hello, Eunji-shi. We met your brother earlier.” Said Jackson.

Airin nodded, “He texted me about you guys.”

“Speaking of texting, can we have your number? We are friends now and friends text each other.” Said Jackson.

Airin raised an eyebrow but gave her number to Jackson anyway, well the number that she was using under her fake guise anyway.

“Eunji-shi, do you want to hang out with us?” Asked Jinyoung.

Airin shrugged, “I don’t mind, my cousin is doing his work around here anyway.”

“Your cousin studies here?” Asked Jackson.

Airin nodded, “He is the same age as me.”

The six friends walked around the fair together with Jackson, purposely making Mark walk beside Airin.

“Isn’t that Bambam, Yugyeom and Eunji-noona’s younger brother?” Asked Youngjae, pointing to a group of people standing by the popcorn stand.

“What are they doing?” Asked Jackson.

Without waiting for the boys to reply, Airn started walking up to them, Jaebum nudged the others they followed her. There was also a boy wearing the school’s uniform with them and he seemed to be arguing with one of the girls in the group.

“Oh hyung, it’s you guys.” Spoke Bambam.

“What’s going on?” Asked Jaebum.

Yugyeom gestured to the scene in front of them while shrugging. The group watched as Airin smacked the boy’s head and he winced in pain much to the others’, especially Junho’s, amusement.

“What do you think you are doing Park Jimin?” Asked Airin, not feeling amused.

“What? Eunhyuk told me that his classmate has the same name as me, so I’d thought that I should pay my name twin a visit.” Replied Jimin.

“Your name is Park Jimin too?” Asked Bambam, finally getting the joke.

“Yup, written the same way as your friend’s too.” Said Jimin.

“You totally didn’t just exchange greetings with her, you probably flirted with her Chim Chim.” Said Airin, still not amused by the situation.

“It was a joke.” Protested Jimin.

“Jimin, just apologise to her. You probably scared her by appearing out of the blue. Eunhyuk, you should apologise too, you can’t just give out other people’s names to others.” Said Airin.

Jimin rolled his eyes before he turned to one of the females and apologised but not before giving one of his infamous flirtious smiles. Junho did the same while Airin smacked Jimin’s head again.

“I should get going before Jongin comes looking for me.” Smiled Jimin.

Airin glanced at the male disapprovingly which the male simply brushed off before leaving.

“I apologise on behalf on my cousin, he’s a little flirty but he’s nice. I don’t think that he’ll bother you again, he’ll get a scolding from me if does.” Said Airin.

“Shall we go play again?” Asked Yugyeom, trying to break the tension.

The middle schoolers agreed and went on their way again. Jaebum and Jinyoung shared a look before leading the way, Youngjae and Airin followed behind while Jackson and Mark trailed slightly behind.

“Isn't that another good reason for you to date her? I mean, she takes such good care of her cousin, she'll probably do that her boyfriend too.” Whispered Jackson to Mark.

Mark glared at Jackson before speeding up to walk beside Youngjae while Jaebum and Jinyoung up a conversation with Airin. Jackson glared at Mark before going to join Jaebum, Jinyoung and Airin in their conversation.

“So that guy is your cousin?” Spoke Jaebum.

“Is he related to Chanyeol sunbaenim?” Asked Jinyoung.

“Chanyeol oppa and Jimin are cousins and I’m currently living with Chanyeol oppa’s family, but Jimin’s family does live nearby.” Replied Airin.

“He seems fun to hang out with.” Commented Jackson.

“He’s really nice, but almost everything he does comes out as flirty. He a bit of a pabo, which only adds on to his image but he has never gotten a girlfriend despite his image.” Said Airin.

“But you pretty have a warm family.” Said Jaebum.

“One that I’m grateful for.” Nodded Airin.

“How about some cotton candy, my treat.” Said Jaebum, spotting the cotton candy stall.

“Jaebum hyung is treating!” Cheered Jackson.

Jaebum bought six sticks of cotton candy and handed it out to the others.

“Thanks Jaebum-shi.” Said Airin, accepting the stick from Jaebum.

Jaebum waved it off before popping some cotton candy into his mouth. The six friends continued their walk around the fair before they passed by the darts game stall.

“I want to try.” Spoke Youngjae.

“Looks fun.” Shrugged Jaebum.

Jaebum and Youngjae paid for their chance while Jinyoung and Jackson cheered them on. Airin and Mark stood a little further from them.

“How are you feeling?” Asked Airin.

“Fine, I’m better after a day’s rest.” Said Mark.

“You seem more comfortable with them.” Said Mark.

“They just want to help me feel comfortable in school by being my friends, and I don’t see anything wrong with that.” Said Airin.

“What about me? Why are you so cautious around me? Is it because of my parents?” Asked Mark.

“I have no interest in helping my father find you, I just want to know you. I want to know who you really are.” Said Mark.

“I have trust issues alright? I may get along with people well, but that doesn’t mean that I fully trust them. But I feel a little more comfortable talking with the others than you.” Said Airin.

“I have no grudges against you but I just don’t feel so comfortable speaking with you about things.” Said Airin.

“What makes the others so different from me?” Asked Mark.

Airin paused before turning to Mark, “I don’t know either. But I’m hoping to find out.”

Mark and Airin’s conversation was interrupted by a loud whoop while came from Jackson after Jaebum won a prize which turned out to be a small portable fan, which can be clipped onto tables. The group of six then continued walking around the fair, with Jackson deciding to treat them ice cream.

“Eunji-shi, what flavour do you want?” Asked Jackson.

“Mint-Chocolate chip please.” Spoke Airin.

Jackson handed an ice cream cone to Airin before paying for the six ice creams.

“Eunji-noona, why do you like mint? Isn’t it a strong taste?” Asked Youngjae, eyeing Airin’s ice cream.

Airin blinked at the sudden question and Jinyoung was about to apologise on behalf of Youngjae when Airin shook her head.

“It’s a different taste from chocolate which is usually sweet. Mint leaves a cool taste on your tongue. But they aren’t that different, chocolate is a very common flavour but it is also very flavourful something which most people don’t realise, chocolate tastes different to different people and likewise, Mint might be cool but it is also a different kind of flavour. Think of chocolate as a normal human being, and mint being the special and unique aspect of that person. Every human being is similar but also different from each other. The mint is what makes Mint-Chocolate ship stand out from the other flavours of Chocolate ice cream, just like how every human being is unique in their own ways.” Said Airin.

“That was deep.” Spoke Jackson.

“I understand, there are different types of chocolate and it is the different components that make up the chocolate into the different tastes of chocolate and mint is one of them.” Said Jaebum.

“It reflects who we are, we may be similar in terms of personality but there are unique differences which make us who we are.” Nodded Jinyoung.

“And it is those differences which make us different and unique from others.” Said Mark.

“It is impossible to have the exact same personality as someone, two might react the same way to the same thing but the things that they do like what kind of hand actions and expressions they do is always different. This is because we all think differently, we may think alike but we all think differently in the end because of our differences. It is because we have these differences that we are able to get along so well just like puzzle pieces because we complement each other, those differences make us different and yet we are able to complement each other because of them.” Said Airin.

“Eunji-noona, you give really good pep talks, you should consider being a psychologist next time.” Said Youngjae.

Airin blushed bashfully, “I’m not that good, but I like listening to other people.”

“Eunji-shi, do you want to grab some lunch with us?” Asked Jinyoung, while checking his watch.

“No thank you, I’m meeting Chanyeol oppa.” Said Airin, politely declining the invitation.

“I see, I guess we’ll be seeing you on Monday then.” Said Jaebum.

“Bye, Eunji-noona.” Said Youngjae.

“It’s been nice hanging out with you.” Shrugged Mark.

Jackson and Jinyoung waved at Airin before they disappeared from her sight. Airin looked around before she spotted Sehun and Jongin walking around while having their ice creams. The two boys walked up to her and they gave her a high-five.

“I see that your friends have already left.” Said Sehun

“But be careful, they are members of “The Agency” after all.” Said Jongin.

“I know what I am doing.” Said Airin.

“Do you want to head back first? The fair will close in an hour. Jongin, Jimin, Suji and I still have to stay and help clean up before we leave.” Said Sehun.

“Chanyeol hyung is currently with Junho, they should be leaving soon.” Said Jongin.

“I’m meeting them at the gate in ten minutes, I’ll just walk there.” Said Airin.

“We’ll walk you there.” Offered Jongin.

“I can walk there myself.” Said Airin.

“We insist, our male schoolmates must not get anywhere near you.” Said Sehun.

Airin rolled her eyes at Sehun and Jongin’s protectiveness but she let them walk with her anyway.

“Chanyeol hyung, please send our dearest sister back home safely to where Joonmyeon hyung is.” Said Sehun, in an overdramatic tone.

Jongin rolled his eyes but nodded as well.

“Do you need picking up later?” Asked Chanyeol.

“Nope, we’ll walk home later.” Said Jongin.

“No problem, we should be chilling out in the lounge by the time the four of you return.” Said Chanyeol.

“See you later, hyungs.” Said Junho.

“I’ll see you later.” Nodded Airin.

Airin and Junho took Chanyeol’s car back to their residential estate where Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were having their lunch in the dining hall. The three joined them and they started talking about Soojung.

“How is Soojung noona?” Asked Junho.

“She hurt her left wrist during her mission, luckily it’s not her dominant hand so she’ll still be able to write but she’s suspended from missions for at least two weeks. The injury isn’t that bad, in fact it’s quite minor but the doctor advised Minjun hyung to suspend her from missions for at least a week but the senior members decided to suspend her for two weeks just in case.” Explained Baekhyun.

“Junho do you want to join us in my room later? We are playing video games.” Said Chanyeol.

“Sounds fun, hyung.” Said Junho.

“We’ll go after we finish lunch, and wait for Jimin, Sehun and Jongin to return first.” Said Chanyeol.

As if on cue, Jimin, Jongin, Sehun and Suji entered the dining hall.

“How was the fair?” Asked Kyungsoo, as the four took their seats.

“A success.” Replied Jongin.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo scooped them some spaghetti and passed the plates out.

“Thanks hyung, I’m starved.” Said Jimin.

“Thanks for the food oppa.” Said Suji.

“We’ll be heading upstairs now, just go to my room after you guys have finished eating and taken a shower.” Said Chanyeol.

“I’ll be doing some stuff in my room.” Said Airin.

Baekhyun. Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Junho and Airin cleared their plates before leaving the place. Airin headed up to her room and called someone on the intercom before leaving her room again. Airin headed downstairs to Minho’s room and he welcomed her in. Airin took her seat at one of the tables and chairs provided in Minho’s room. Minho was Shadows’ resident hacker, he could hack into practically any system and his skills are rivalled by not many people and Minho has picked Junho as his protégé in hacking.

“Are you ready for your hacking test?” Asked Minho.

Airin nodded and Minho placed a laptop in front of Airin.

“Hack into the system and unlock the file. That is your test.” Said Minho.

Airin nodded and took a deep breath before typing in several codes. It took Airin several minutes before she was finally about to unlock the file.

“Not bad, you passed the test.” Said Minho, with a smile while writing in a file.

“Thanks oppa.” Spoke Airin.

“Go and have a rest, you will have agility training with Myungsoo and Chanhee tomorrow morning.” Said Minho.

“Thanks oppa.” Said Airin.

Airin bowed to Minho before leaving the room. Airin headed to the lift and she headed back to her room. But Airin decided to stop by Aeri’s room before returning to her own which was on the same level as hers. Airin pressed the intercom and Aeri opened the door a few seconds later. Airin could see Jungkook waving to her in the background and she waved back.

“Unnie, what brings you here?” Asked Aeri.

“Soojung and Suji are coming over to my room for a sleepover tonight, do you want to join us?” Asked Airin.

“Sure, I’ll see you later unnie!” Said Aeri, with a smile.

“See you later, and don’t do anything dangerous alright?” Said Airin, with a smirk while gesturing to Jungkook.

Aeri blushed, “Unnie!”

Airin simply grinned before she headed back to her room. Airin when to take a quick shower before changing back into her previous outfit. Airin headed to the empty section of her room to practice her music. Airin found a piano there, as well as a clarinet, a flute, a violin and a viola in the cupboard and they were all newly tuned. Airin sat herself at the piano and began playing a tune.