Chapter 6

Spy Game

Bold = English

Italics = Thoughts

Normal = Korean


Mark and Airin made their way back to their classroom, and they arrived just before the bell rang. Airin took out her chemistry textbook just as their teacher arrived. The teacher assigned a set of homework before starting class. Mark opened up his textbook and listened to the teacher but he kept his gaze on Airin. Mark diverted his attention back to the teacher just before the teacher asked for answers to her questions.

“Mark-shi, can you please balance this equation for me?” Asked Mr Lee, their teacher.

Mark nodded and Mr Lee passed him a marker to write his answers on the whiteboard. Mr Lee gave a nod when Mark gave the correct answer. Mark returned to his seat while Mr Lee called up another student.

Mark was quite surprised when the bell rang, signaling the end of the period.

“Since when did time pass so quickly?” Thought Mark.

Mark shook his head to get ready for the next class which was also the second last period of the day. Mark pulled out his English textbook just as Mr Kim entered the class. Mr Kim assigned a composition piece as classwork and the students got to work. Mark stared at his blank paper, trying to think up of a topic to write on. Mark glanced over at Airin who was already doing a draft. Mark tapped his chin before thinking of a topic to write on. It took Mark a few minutes to finish his draft but he soon started on his essay.

By the time the bell had rung, Mark and Airin had completed their essays and submitted them to Mr Kim while the other students were to complete them at home. Mark and Airin’s last class of the day was gym, and the students went to get ready. Airin changed into her sports kit and headed to the school gym with her classmate, Jiyeon.

“Eunji-shi, we are doing balancing practices today. It’s a painful training but we do improve our balance skills. Do you mind if I partner with you?” Said Jiyeon.

Airin nodded absentmindedly while the boys helped their gym teacher Miss Lee take out the equipment that they would need for the day.

“Alright, get a partner and one person will balance on the ball. The other person is to hold the legs of the person that is balancing on the ball. Balance on the ball for one minute, then you switch.” Said Miss Lee.

“I don’t really want to do this, the boys usually end up teasing us.” Said Jiyeon, with a slight pout.

“I can go first, if you don’t want to go first.” Spoke Airin.

“Go ahead.” Replied Jiyeon.

Airin nodded and Jiyeon placed the ball on the ground. Airin glanced at the ball before lying on the ball, with the stomach facing upwards. Jiyeon held onto Airin’s legs for support but Airin seemed to have no problem balancing on the ball unlike many of their other classmates who were having trouble balancing.

“Eunji-shi, you are really good at this!” Said Jiyeon.

Airin shrugged slightly, “I used to do ballet when I was younger, and I had to learn this back then.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll help you.” Said Airin.

Jiyeon nodded nervously and Airin gave her instructions on how to balance herself on the ball. It took Jiyeon a while before she was finally able to balance herself.

“Everyone has improved, although some of you seem to have gotten the hang of it. The next exercise is to balance yourself on your toes.” Said Miss Lee.

A few of the students complained about the exercises as they couldn’t seem to figure out the real purpose of them. Airin was able to balance herself on her toes effortlessly due to the experience as a ballet dancer and Miss Lee commended her on it.

“Doing ballet has lots of perks and having good balance skills is a gained effect, isn’t it Miss Lee.” Said Miss Lee.

“It’s been a while since I’ve done ballet but it’s a refresh for me since I’m a little rusty right now.” Replied Airin.

Miss Lee smiled and continued on with the class. Airin had no problems catching or keeping up with the class, in fact she seemed to be ahead of most of them, and Mark did not miss this.

“Eunji-shi, thank you for helping me today! Let’s partner up again sometime!” Said Jiyeon, after Miss Lee had dismissed them.

Airin nodded as the class split up to change. Airin took a shower and changed back into her uniform where Chanyeol was waiting for her. Airin boarded the car and Chanyeol drove off.

“Myungsoo and Chanhee will be observing your training to day, you will be doing some agility training. You will have stealth training tomorrow. Your entire training regime will only take two weeks, but it will be intensive.” Explained Chanyeol.

“But don’t worry, we all believe in you. You’ll be fine.” Said Chanyeol, with a grin.

“Thanks oppa.” Said Airin.

They soon arrived at the training facility which was just inside their residential compound. Airin changed into her sports kit and joined Chanhee and Myungsoo in the training room.

“We are training your stamina and your reaction speed, it’s a little complicated but we know that you’ll do fine, after all you did receive proper training from your parents, and this should only be a refresh to you.” Said Chanhee.

“Just step into the ring when you are ready.” Said Myungsoo.

Airin nodded and took a deep breath before entering the ring. Myungsoo immediately started the training simulations which was in a hallway. Airin had to run all the way to the end of the hallway while dodging all of the flying objects along the way. Chanhee sounded an alarm to signal the start of the training. Airin managed to dodge all of the flying objects and make it to the end of the hallway within a set time. This exercise was repeated another nine times continuously before Myungsoo and Chanhee decided that Airin had completed the training.

“You did better than expected, it seems that your body has remembered what to do and how to react in times like those. That’s a good sign but we’ll be revisiting this training again sometime next week for training purposes. You will have stealth training with Suji and Jimin tomorrow after school.” Said Myungsoo.

“You did a good job today, go and take a bath then we’ll have a good dinner together.” Said Chanhee.

“Thanks oppa.” Yawned Airin.

Myungsoo and Chanhee just patted her head and the three walked back to their rooms together. Myungsoo and Chanhee dropped Airin off at her room before going back to theirs. Airin opened up her closet and pulled out a black shirt with shorts before heading to the bathroom. Airin took a nice long shower to calm herself down. After her bath, Airin checked if she had any homework to do but to her relief she didn’t have any. Airin was really tired from the training and she wanted to turn in early after dinner. Airin checked the clock which showed, 6.03pm. Airin yawned just as the bell to her apartment rang. Airin checked for who it was and she found Suji outside her room. Airin grabbed her phone and card before going to open the door.

“Unnie, let’s go for dinner together. Soojung is away for an emergency mission, she’ll only be back tomorrow night, so she’ll miss school tomorrow but headquarters will cover everything.” Said Suji.

Airin nodded and the two girls headed to the dining hall where they joined the others for dinner and there were a total of eight people present including three people which Airin didn’t recognise.

“You must be the new girl, Jimin mentioned about you earlier. I met your brother too, we live on the same floor. My name is Choi Minho, I was away for a mission until this morning. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Airin-shi.” Said a black haired male.

“He’s the same age as Joonmyeon oppa.” Added Suji.

“It’s nice to meet you unnie, I’m Matsui Airi but you can call me by my Korean name, Han Aeri. I used to work mainly in the Japanese branch of Shadows until a few months ago, I now work mainly in the Korean branch but I work in the Japanese branch during the vacation period.” Said a rather tall and slender girl with long black hair.

“It’s nice to meet you noona, I’m Jeon Jungkook, Aeri’s usual partner. Aeri and I are the same age as your brother, but we attend different schools.” Said a tall male with black hair.

“It’s nice to meet you guys.” Nodded Airin.

“Unnie, let’s eat! We are all tired from today’s training.” Said Suji.

Airin nodded and Junho passed two plates of Kimchi fried rice to Suji and Airin. The group dug into their food hungrily and within twenty minutes all of those present have finished eating.

“That was good.” Said Suji, patting her stomach.

“I’m puffed out from today’s training.” Spoke Aeri.

“It’s been a while since we’ve done stealth training together, and Minho hyung purposely made it difficult for us.” Spoke Jungkook.

“Since when did the two of you having trainings together?” Asked Suji, questioningly.

“Since a few weeks ago?” Spoke Aeri, confusedly.

“Aeri, let’s go. We still have homework to do.” Said Jungkook, getting up.

Aeri and Jungkook cleared their dishes away before Jungkook dragged Aeri out of the hall.

“Those two are so sweet!” Squealed Suji.

“Those two like each other, but I don’t think that they realise it yet. They both joined Shadows at about the same time and Jungkook was assigned to be Aeri’s partner shortly after she was transferred here. And they stuck to the partnership after finding out that they worked really well together.” Explained Minho.

”Of course, there is no rule which says that the agents aren’t allowed to date. There are agents who are dating other agents.” Said Myungsoo.

“We don’t say much about their relationship, but we do intervene from time to time if we think that they are getting too close for a relationship that they are not in.” Said Minho.

“But they are a duo, so it’s not that surprising that they have trainings together but they are a strong combo. Aeri is great at disabling traps while Jungkook can find them easily, they are technically our trap masters.” Said Chanhee.

“They’ll be a great asset to us when they grow older, there are several missions which they cannot take since they are still so young.” Said Minho.

“How did they join Shadows?” Asked Junho.

“Aeri’s parents are both Interpol agents and she was trained ever since she was young. She officially joined Interpol when she was thirteen and she was transferred here just a few months back. Jungkook joined after he was saved by Minjun-hyung during a mission where a planned accident had killed Jungkook’s parents and many other people. Jungkook decided to join us shortly after that.” Said Myungsoo.

“Most of us have lost our families or were abandoned, so we do have similar pasts.” Said Chanhee.

“That’s why we are able to get along so well, because we understand each other.” Said Minho.

“I’m getting tired, shall we go up together unnie?” Asked Suji.

“Goodnight noonas.” Said Junho.

“Goodnight to you girls, we’ll see you tomorrow.” Said Minho.

Suji and Airin nodded and they cleared away their dishes before leaving. Suji and Airin took the lift together.

“Unnie, can we have the sleepover in your room tomorrow night?” Asked Suji.

“Of course, and since we are having our sleepover tomorrow, let’s invite Aeri too.” Said Airin.

Suji smiled, “Thanks unnie.”

Airin gave a small smile and Suji gave Airin’s hand a short squeeze before Airin alighted from the lift. Airin entered the room and she stifled a yawn. Airin packed her bag, set her alarm clock before going to bed.


The next day…

Airin woke up when her alarm clock rang, feeling completely refreshed. Airin got out of bed, made it and went to shower after preparing her uniform. Airin joined Sehun, Jongin, Suji, Jimin and her brother for breakfast, the others weren’t up yet.

“Unnie, have a safe trip to school!” Said Suji, as she, Jimin, Jongin and Sehun got ready to leave.

Airin nodded, “You too.”

Airin finished up her toast before Kyungsoo passed Airin her lunch.

“Thanks oppa! I’ll see you later.” Said Airin.

Airin cleared away her dishes and left the dining hall but she bumped into Jungkook and Aeri outside the door. Airin left the compound and made her way to school. Airin arrived in school with Jaebum and Jackson slightly ahead of her.

“Good morning, Eunji-shi.” Spoke Jackson, when he noticed the girl.

“Good morning, Eunji-shi.” Nodded Jaebum.

“Good morning, Jackson-shi. Jaebum-shi.” Said Airin.

“I see that you are alone today.” Spoke Jaebum.

“I don’t know where Soojung-shi is this morning. I didn’t see her on my way here this morning.” Said Airin.

“Do you want to head upstairs together? I mean our classes are just beside each other.” Offered Jaebum, pointing to the stairs.

“Sure, I don’t mind.” Shrugged Airin.

“So Eunji-shi, how do you find the school after a week here?” Asked Jackson.

“It’s different from an American school, but it’s mostly calm right now.” Said Airin.

“So how is Mark?” Asked Jackson.

Airin blinked at Jackson’s question while Jaebum sent Jackson a secret glare.

“He doesn’t bother you does he?” Spoke Jaebum, when he noticed Airin’s reaction.

“He’s generally pretty quiet, he doesn’t talk that much.” Said Airin.

“That’s good.” Nodded Jaebum.

“Eunji-shi, do you want to have lunch with us today? We sort of noticed that you are usually alone during lunch.” Asked Jackson.

“It’s alright, I like to be alone during lunch.” Said Airin.

“You are always welcome to join us.” Spoke Jaebum.

Airin paused before giving a small smile, “Thank you.”

Jackson and Jaebum shared a look before returning the smile with their own. It was then that the three realised that they had arrived at their level.

“Jaebum-shi. Jackson-shi. It was nice talking to you, let’s talk again another time.” Spoke Airin.

“It was nice talking to you too.” Nodded Jaebum.

“See you later.” Said Jackson, giving a wave.

Airin nodded before entering her class. Airin took her seat before she realised that Mark wasn’t in school yet. Airin noted that Mark was usually quite early, but he wasn’t here yet this morning. Airin gave a small shrug before returning to her novel. Airin glanced at the clock just as the bell rang, and Mark still wasn’t in class yet. Airin gave a small shrug before brushing off any uneasy feelings she had at the moment.

A few hours passed and Mark was still not in school. Airin was about to leave her classroom for lunch when she spotted Jaebum, Jinyoung, Jackson and Youngjae outside her classroom.

“Eunji-shi, did Mark come to class today?” Asked Jaebum.

Airin shook her head, “He didn’t.”

“He’s probably sick.” Spoke Jinyoung.

Airin nodded before leaving the four boys in the hallway. Jackson pulled out his phone and called Mark’s number.

“He didn’t answer my call.” Said Jackson.

“Maybe he is sleeping.” Suggested Youngjae.

“I don’t think Mark is sick, he was perfectly fine yesterday. He would have texted us if he were sick.” Said Jinyoung.

“You don’t think something happened to Mark hyung would you?” Spoke Youngjae, nervously.

“I don’t know, I hope that he is alright. We’ll call him again after school. We can’t just skip class like this.” Spoke Jaebum.

“But what if Mark needs help?” Asked Jackson.

“No news is good news, is what they say. Mark will be fine.” Said Jinyoung.

“Let’s try calling him again a little later.” Said Jaebum.

“But for now, let’s have our lunch.” Said Jinyoung.

“Oh yeah, weren’t you and Jackson talking about inviting Eunji-shi to have lunch with us?” Asked Jinyoung, turning to Jaebum.

“She rejected us, she said that she likes being alone when she is eating.” Said Jaebum.

“She is really nice to talk to though.” Said Jinyoung.

“We know, we had a conversation with her this morning.” Said Jackson.

“She sort of reminds me of you Jinyoung.” Said Jaebum.

“What are you guys talking about?” Asked Youngjae, confusedly.

“You’ll understand in due time.” Said Jaebum, shaking his head.

Youngjae was still confused but he followed his hyungs to their usual place for lunch. The four boys sat down at a bench on the rooftop to have their lunch. Youngjae munched on his sandwich while he used his phone to call Mark.

“Mark hyung isn’t answering my call either.” Spoke Youngjae.

“We only have two hours of classes left, we’ll visit him after school. Text Bambam and Yugyeom and tell them to meet us at Mark’s house.” Said Jaebum.

Youngjae nodded and sent a text to the two younger members.

“Is it strange that our resident ice princess is absent today as well?” Asked Jackson.

“Now that you mention it, she is absent too.” Nodded Jaebum.

“Do you think that it has something to do with it?” Asked Youngjae.

“Woah, stop assuming things guys. I know that our resident ice princess doesn’t interact with us much but she is innocent. She has nothing to do with our field of work.” Said Jinyoung.

“Jinyoung has a point, we’ll ask Mark about his absence later. We’ll take care of the other issues when they arrive.” Said Jaebum.

“Hey, isn’t that Sungjun with Eunji?” Asked Jackson, pointing to the pair who were standing not too far from them.

“Eunji-shi seems a little uncomfortable.” Spoke Jinyoung.

“He is up to his usual ways again, we have to stop him before he goes too far.” Said Jaebum.

The four boys approached the pair and the boys noticed that Airin was glaring at the taller male.

“What do the four of you want?” Scowled Sungjun.

“Sungjun, can’t you see that she wants nothing to do with you?” Asked Jaebum, sternly.

“Sunbae, I’ve already given your name to the principal. You’ll be called for a meeting with him very soon.” Said Youngjae, who was holding his phone.

Youngjae was a student councillor and he was one of head councillors for the first year councillors, so he often attended meetings with the principal with the other student council members who were of the same rank as him.

“You wouldn’t dare.” Retorted Sungjun.

“I’ve already sent it in.” Spoke Youngjae, coolly.

Sungjun glared at the four boys and Airin before he left without a word.

“Eunji-shi, are you alright?” Asked Jinyoung.

“Maybe you should hang out with us during lunch, Sungjun does that all the time, and it will be safer if you are not alone.” Said Jackson.

“I’m fine, and besides I don’t think that he will bother me again.” Said Airin.

“Well, our offer still stands if you want to hang out with us. Of course we understand if you want your privacy. After all, we are friends aren’t we?” Asked Jaebum.

Airin blinked before nodding slightly, “Thank you.”

“Shall we get back to class? The bell is going to ring soon.” Said Jackson.

“We should.” Nodded Jinyoung.

“Do you want to come with us, sunbae?” Asked Youngjae.

Airin paused before nodding with a small smile. The five students left the rooftop with Youngjae taking a left turn as he had to go to the student council office to make a report about the earlier incident with Sungjun. Jackson, Jaebum and Jinyoung walked Airin back to her classroom.

“Eunji-shi, we are going to visit Mark after school. Do you want to come with us?” Asked Jackson.

Airin shook her head, “I still have some things to settle, my cousin is coming to pick me up later after school.”

“I see, we will send Mark your regards.” Said Jaebum.

“See you next week then, Eunji-shi.” Said Jinyoung.

“I guess I’ll see you guys next week.” Nodded Airin.

Jackson, Jaebum and Jinyoung walked back to their class.

“She seems nice to hang out with.” Spoke Jackson.

“She’s different.” Nodded Jaebum.

“She seems suitable for Mark, they do seem quite similar.” Said Jackson.

“I think Mark would be flipping out if he knew we are talking about this.” Said Jinyoung, taking his seat.

“We should bring this up to him, it’s about time he got a girlfriend.” Said Jackson.

“Let Mark decide that for himself and stop talking about this, class is starting soon.” Said Jinyoung, reprimanding Jackson.

The three boys took out their math textbooks just as their teacher arrived.