Chapter 2

Spy Game

Bold = English

Italics = Thoughts

Normal = Korean


Airin felt a chill down her spine and she realised that someone was looking at her, Airin had a feeling that it was Mark but she did nothing about the feeling. Airin had a feeling that Mark was aware of her real identity and he was playing a mind game with her.

“Well two can play at that game, Mark Tuan Yi En.” Thought Airin.

Airin retained her poker face as she turned her attention back to Miss Matsui’s class. Mark let a small smirk creep into his face as he noticed that Airin’s posture had changed, it was as if it was a secret sign saying “Challenge Accepted.”.

Mark shut his textbook when the bell rang, three times, signaling that it was their lunch break. Mark picked up his bag and headed over to Airin’s table.

“Eunji-shi, do you want to hang out with me and my friends? You should get yourself familiarised with the people in the school.” Said Mark.

No, thank you. I’d rather be alone.” Responded Airin, effectively shooting down Mark’s offer.

Airin picked up her backpack and headed back to their classroom. Airin settled herself comfortably, so that she could read her novel in peace. Airin didn’t even bother to eat her lunch, she wasn’t really hungry at all.


Meanwhile back with Mark…

Jackson, Jaebum and Jinyoung hooted as they left the classroom. So far, no student especially a female student has ever rejected the offer to hang out with them, especially since Mark was the one who did the inviting, Mark usually doesn’t associate himself with new students, especially girls but apparently Airin was an exception. But Mark wasn’t bothered at all, in fact it only made things even more interesting. The four boys headed up to the school rooftop to have their lunch.

“So Mark, what made you show interest in that new girl?” Asked Jinyoung.

“Let’s just say that she’s a very interesting person.” Replied Mark, with a smirk.

“Ice princesses are always interesting.” Said Jackson.

“Don’t let our resident ice princess hear you, she’ll probably kill you if she heard that.” Said Jaebum.

“That is if she can.” Added Jackson, quietly.

Jinyoung and Jaebum shared a smirk, like Mark they were also part of ‘The Agency” and the four of them, plus three of their juniors, made up the spy group GOT7. They were a pretty formidable team and were one of the rising groups within “The Agency”.

“Mark, just make sure that you don’t fall for her, your father wouldn’t be happy at all if that happened.” Warned Jaebum.

Mark simply smirked in response, he knew what he was doing. There was no rule that spies within “The Agency” couldn’t date or fall in love with each other or other people as long as they kept their private and professional lives separate, not that Jackson, Jinyoung and Jaebum were supposed to know that Airin was wanted by “The Agency”. But Mark’s father wouldn’t approve of him dating a commoner and not to mention the daughter of two traitors. Mark’s family was fairly wealthy, and both of his parents had pretty high ranking posts within “The Agency”, it made sense that they were paid a lot for their jobs.

But unbeknownst to the four boys, a lone black haired female was listening in to their conversation. She was none other than Jung Soojung, Seoul High School’s resident ice princess. Soojung smirked to herself, she had the same thought as Mark, that Lee Eunji was a very interesting person. Soojung was in Jinyoung, Jaebum and Jackson’s class but the news of a new transfer student spread pretty fast, not to mention that the transfer student was also an ice princess just like her, or rather an ice fairy as the majority of the student body had dubbed her to differentiate Soojung from Airin. Soojung left the rooftop and headed back to her classroom. Soojung purposely passed by Airin’s classroom as she headed back to her classroom. Soojung gave a secret smirk as she noted Airin’s poker face as the latter was reading a novel.

Airin was reading her novel as Soojung passed by her class. Airin wondered if coming to Korea was really a good idea or not especially since her new seatmate was a member of “The Agency” and not to mention that he was the son of one of the directors of “The Agency”. It didn’t help that her new seatmate was playing mind games with her. But Airin did notice one thing about Mark, and that he didn’t seem to be interested in helping his father, after all if he did, he would have called his father by now to send a team to catch her and her brother. But Airin knew that she could never trust anyone else after her last attempt at fleeing from “The Agency”.

“Do you love reading that novel so much that you even had to skip lunch for it?” Asked a voice cheekily.

Airin could tell from the corner of her eyes that it was Mark, but Airin promptly ignored him and returned to reading her novel. Airin soon felt Mark’s arm on her chair and she groaned internally while keeping her poker face on.

“Stop Airin, he’s just playing mind games with you. You’re calmer than this, he is just provoking you.” Thought Airin.

Airin finally kept her novel away when the lunch bell rang and their next period teacher arrived. Mark glanced over at Airin who was getting out her textbook. Mark tried to read Airin’s poker face but he couldn’t read any of her emotions.

“Song Airin, just what kind of a person are you?” Thought Mark.

Mark decided to watch Airin during class, hoping to find out what kind of a person Airin was and why his father and “The Agency” would want her for. Mark was completely unaware as to why Airin was wanted by “The Agency”, Mark could only rely on his observation skills to come to a conclusion about Airin’s importance to “The Agency”, Mark knew that his father wouldn’t tell him anything and most of the information that “The Agency” had were classified and confidential.

Mark continued watching Airin for the rest of the school day, but he still wasn’t able to understand Airin. Mark watched as Airin left the classroom after the last bell of the day rang, Mark secretly followed Airin as she headed to Seoul Middle School. Airin waited outside the gate until a boy who was slightly taller than Airin walked out of the school gate with two other boys whom Mark knew very well. The other two boys were Kim Yugyeom and BamBam, Mark’s fellow group mates in GOT7. Mark mentally noted the facial similarities between Airin and the other boy and he concluded that the boy must be Airin’s younger brother, and he was also probably wanted by “The Agency”. Mark watched as the boy bid goodbye to BamBam and Yugyeom. Mark ducked out of sight before heading in the direction of his school, where Jinyoung, Jaebum, Jackson and Youngjae were probably all waiting for him.

Mark made his way back to his school and met up with Jinyoung, Jaebum, Jackson and Youngjae. The four were waiting for Mark at the school gate, Mark purposely entered through the side gate so that the others wouldn’t suspect anything. Unlike Mark, the rest of GOT7 were unaware that Airin was even on the run from “The Agency”, Mark knew thanks to his father but the others were unaware and Mark was determined to keep it that way.

Mark doubted that Airin had betrayed the Agency, she didn’t seem like the type of person who would do such a thing, but then again, Mark knew that appearances could be deceiving. And not to mention that Airin was probably too young to have any classified information about the Agency, after all she was the same age as him. In order to have important and classified information about the Agency, one would need to work under the Agency for at least a few years or know someone high ranking from the Agency. Mark also doubted that Airin was out to steal information from the Agency, if she was, she would probably have tried to get close to him, since his parents were high ranking members within the Agency. But Airin’s attitude hinted that she wanted to avoid Mark at all costs, something which convinced Mark that Airin was on the run.

“Where were you man?” Asked Jackson, when he saw Mark approaching them.

“I got held up a bit.” Replied Mark.

“Does it have anything to do with that new girl?” Asked Jaebum.

Mark gave a mysterious smile, “Maybe.”

The other four shared a look as Mark walked passed them, the four shrugged before following Mark. The five friends made their way to Jinyoung’s house, where BamBam and Yugyeom were already waiting for them. Jinyoung lived alone, his parents worked in America while his older sister had her own dorm at her university. Yugyeom and BamBam sat on the porch waiting for the others to return. BamBam tapped Yugyeom’s shoulder when he spotted the others.

“Hyungs, what took you guys so long?” Asked BamBam.

“Mark came out of class late, we had to wait for him.” Replied Jaebum.

Jinyoung pulled out his house keys from his bag and opened the door to let the others in. The others threw their bags onto the couch while Mark calmly took his seat beside BamBam. BamBam and Yugyeom pulled out their homework and the five high schoolers realised that their homework was nearly completed.

“You guys are fast.” Said Youngjae.

“We did most of our homework with our new classmate, he’s really smart. He honestly could have skipped a few grades and go on to high school already.” Said Yugyeom.

“That’s interesting, we have a new classmate too. At least, Mark does.” Said Jackson.

“She’s the ice princess type.” Added Jaebum.

“Our new classmate, his name is Lee Eunhyuk, said that he has an older sister.” Said BamBam.

“Maybe that Eunhyuk guy and the new girl are siblings.” Suggested Youngjae.

“But she did turn down Mark offer for her to hang out with us.” Piped Jinyoung.

BamBam and Yugyeom’s eyes widened in shock, as far as they knew, Mark rarely associated himself with new students much less girls and most people wouldn’t turn down the offer of hanging out with them, it was too good of an offer to turn down.

“What is her name?” Asked BamBam.

“Why are you guys so concerned about the new student anyway?” Asked Mark.

“Her name is Lee Eunji.” Replied Jaebum, purposely ignoring Mark’s question.

“I could say the same about you, Mark. Why are you so interested in her?” Asked Jackson.

“She’s my seatmate, and it’s technically my responsibility that she gets along with everyone.” Said Mark.

“But you never take interest in new students, especially the girls, so why now?” Asked Jackson.

“It’s not like I can ignore her since she is my seatmate, and besides I don’t think any of us want a repeat of last year.” Shrugged Mark.

“Mark does have a point.” Nodded Jinyoung.

Jinyoung headed to the kitchen to whip up some sandwiches, Yugyeom and BamBam went to help him. Mark, Jackson, Jaebum and Youngjae returned to doing their homework. Mark occasionally let himself stare into space while doing his work, which didn’t go unnoticed by his friends, but they didn’t question Mark about it since he seemed to be deep in thought about whatever he was thinking about. Mark tapped his pen against his chin as Airin invaded his thoughts once again.

“What could the Agency want with her and her brother? Mom and dad probably wouldn’t tell me anything, I should do some snooping when I get back home later.” Thought Mark.

Mark took a drink from his water bottle, “Song Airin, I am going to find who you really are sooner or later. I don’t want to hurt or harm you, if only I could tell what you were thinking. I hate getting innocent people involved in such affairs.”

Mark glanced at his math worksheet before finishing it up as it was the last of his homework for the day. Mark decided to remember Airin’s reactions towards him. Cautious was the first word that came to Mark’s mind followed by vulnerability, betrayal, strong, trust and hurt. Mark briefly wondered why Airin was feeling such emotions and why those words immediately came to his mind.

“I should probably observe her more for the next few days. What could my parents and the Agency want her for?” Thought Mark.

And with that Mark stopped thinking about Airin, but she constantly remained in his mind and memory. Mark glanced over at the others before noticing a green post-it sticker on Yugyeom’s notebook, it wasn’t there before. Mark discreetly took a look at what was written on the post-it note. Mark’s eyes scanned the note before noting a phone number and address on the note. Mark silently read the name on the note which read as “Lee Eunhyuk”. Mark decided to snap a picture of the note, it could come in handy since there was a high possibility that he was Airin’s brother especially based on what happened earlier in the afternoon as well as BamBam and Yugyeom’s information. Mark was glad that Yugyeom’s notebook was just beside the former’s bag and he quickly and discreetly snapped a clear photo of the note. No one noticed what Mark did, not even Yugyeom and Jaebum, whom he was sitting in between of.

“Mark hyung are you done?” Asked BamBam.

“Yeah.” Replied Mark.

“Do you need to go home urgently? You can leave if you want to.” Said Jinyoung.

“If you don’t mind.” Said Mark.

Mark packed up his bag and bid the others goodbye. Jinyoung opened the door for him, and the two shared a fist bump before Mark left. Mark walked along the row of houses before someone in yellow caught his attention. Mark pursed his lips when he recognised Airin.

“So this is where you live.” Spoke Mark, startling Airin.

Airin jumped slightly before she recognised Mark. Airin narrowed her eyes and she inspected Mark’s uniform, and she concluded that he was on his way home.

“Why do I keep bumping into him? Does he live near here too?” Thought Airin.

“Yeah.” Replied Airin, coolly.

“Who are you living with at the moment?” Asked Mark.

“My cousin.” Replied Airin, simply.

“Ah, I see. I’ll see you tomorrow, Eunji-shi.” Said Mark.

Airin nodded out of politeness, “I’ll see you tomorrow too.”

Mark continued on his way home but he noted the features of the house as he walked past it. Mark returned home to a rather large three storey apartment. His parents were pretty well paid for their work, so they bought this nice house to live in. Mark headed up to his room and locked the door before opening up his laptop to search on some information about Airin in the Agency’s database. It took Mark about an hour to search through the Agency’s database but he found no information about Airin or whatsoever. Mark mentally decided that it was no use searching about Airin’s background and that it would be a better option to observe her before coming to a conclusion.