Chapter 5

Spy Game

Bold = English

Italics = Thoughts

Normal = Korean


Mark bid his friends goodbye and he headed into the classroom just before the bell rang. Mark glanced over at Airin, who was obviously ignoring him. Mark shook his head before taking out his English grammar book. Mr Kim entered the class exactly on the bell, and he assigned some classwork while he marked some work. Mark glanced over at Airin who had her usual poker face, but she seemed a little pissed or at least mad. Mark groaned internally, blaming Jackson for making things worse. Mark occasionally glanced at Airin while he did his work during the entire class. And when the bell rang signaling the end of their first period, Airin packed up her things and she headed for her Japanese class with Mark following not too far behind.

“Good morning, Eunji-shi!” Greeted Jinyoung, with a bright smile when Airin entered the class.

Eunji promptly ignored him especially when Jackson commented that she was rude for not returning the greeting.

“Mark, your new seatmate is rude. She didn’t respond to Jinyoung’s greeting.” Said Jackson.

“That is probably your fault Jackson, especially with that comment you made earlier.” Replied Mark.

“What? I was stating the truth. New students, especially the girls, tend to get bullied.” Said Jackson.

“It’s her third day and no one is bullying her, so I don’t think you have to worry about that.” Said Mark.

“She is an ice princess, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the reason that she wasn’t bullied.” Said Jaebum.

“But she seems nice despite her ice princess personality.” Said Jinyoung.

“I was just stating the truth and she seemed a little lonely. Even though she is another ice princess, she just seems different from our resident ice princess. I still think that it is a bad idea for them to hang out.” Said Jackson, defending this words.

“It’s her business who she hangs out with, why are you so concerned about her?” Asked Mark.

“And why are you defending her?” Asked Jackson.

Mark chose to remain silent, he couldn’t tell anyone about Airin’s situation, heck even he wasn’t sure what was Airin’s situation exactly, and not to mention that they shouldn’t be discussing such issues in school.

“Mark.” Spoke Jackson, with a lower tone.

Mark was about to ignore Jackson again when Miss Matsui entered the class, saving Mark from another round of Jackson’s words. This assignment for today’s class was having a conversation with a classmate. Miss Matsui paired the students up and Airin ended pairing up with Jinyoung.

Jinyoung gave Airin a cheerful smile, “Let’s both do our best for this assignment, Eunji-shi.”

Airin paused before before nodding slightly as Miss Matsui distributed the papers.

“Eunji-shi, don’t worry about earlier. Jackson can be a little blunt but he means well.” Said Jinyoung.

“I know but I was a little offended, why is it that we girls are always being viewed as people who need protecting? I don’t understand, we girls aren’t weak. Everyone needs help once in a while, but girls always needing protection is just a wrong kind of perception.” Said Airin.

“That’s true, but I do admit that Jackson was a little rash with his words but he was just looking out for you. We had a transfer student last year who was bullied very badly by our seniors and no one knew about it until the senior committed suicide four weeks before graduation. We were all pretty shocked and Jackson was just trying to look out for you, but Jackson could have worded his words better. He isn’t that good with Korean since he is a foreigner, so I hope that you will understand.” Said Jinyoung.

Airin cocked her head to the side, “I understand, I shouldn’t have gotten so angry anyway, I don’t know much about the school and the people here.”

“We should have told you earlier, but Mark and I figured that since nothing happened to you, we decided not to say anything.” Said Jinyoung.

Cheerful, kind, friendly, carefree and forgiving were the words that Airin would use to describe Jinyoung after having a conversation with him completely in Japanese. Jinyoung, as Airin noted, was always cheerful, kind and friendly. He wasn’t mad nor angry at her despite her ignoring him because she was mad at Jackson’s comment. He was also forgiving and carefree, he immediately forgave her for her earlier behavior. But Airin was also puzzled by Jinyoung’s behavior, how was even he a member of “The Agency”? He seemed to be too kind to do such a thing, and not to mention he seemed like the kind of person who wouldn’t hit a fly. But Airin knew that looks could be deceiving and Jinyoung was recruited into “The Agency” for a reason.

“It was nice having a conversation with you, Eunji-shi.” Said Jinyoung, cheerfully when the bell rang.

“It was nice having a conversation with you too, Jinyoung-shi.” Said Airin.

Jinyoung grinned before heading back to his original seat, next to Mark. Airin packed up her things before she mind wandered back to her conversation with Jinyoung. Airin closed her eyes and took a deep breath before walking towards the tables where Mark and his friends sat at.

“Jackson-shi?” Spoke Airin.

The said boy turned around confusedly before blinking.

“I wanted to apologise for my behavior earlier, I was a little mad, but I thought about it and I realised that I didn’t know what had exactly happened in the school previously. Jinyoung-shi told me about it, and I realised that you were just looking out for a schoolmate.” Said Airin.

Jackson blinked before responding to the girl, “I guess, I should be apologising as well. I guess I sounded a little rude and blunt, I should have worded my words better.”

Airin gave a small but faint smile, “Thank you.”

Airin gave a little bow before leaving the room while the four boys just, except Jinyoung, stared confusedly. But they were also a little amazed since that was the first smile which Airin ever showed ever since she transferred here and it was a real smile. The smile might have been a small and faint one but it was definitely sincere. Airin then popped her head back into the classroom which made the boys pick up their bags and return to their original classrooms, with Mark walking just slightly behind Airin. Mark stared at Airin’s figure as he entered the classroom just behind her. Mark took his seat and let his mind start thinking.

Fragile, introvert, empathic and troubled were the words that came to Mark’s mind. Mark tried to piece what he knew about Airin with the words that he thought of. Cautious, vulnerability, betrayal, strong, trust and hurt were the other words that Mark had associated with Airin previously. Mark remembered how fragile looking Airin seemed when he was walking behind her earlier. Could Airin have been betrayed, hurt and had her trust broken so badly that the possibly once strong and empathic Airin eventually became the now introverted, troubled, fragile and vulnerable Airin which he noticed. Was this why she became cautious and less trusting of others? Mark wondered what had happened to Airin that caused her to become like this. Was is the reason why she was also on the run from “The Agency”? Why did Airin choose to close off her heart and become afraid of life? Mark wanted to know the answers so badly, but he knew that Airin wouldn’t trust him so easily, especially since his parents were high ranking members of “The Agency” and Mark himself was also a member of ‘The Agency”.

Mark wasn’t concentrating on the class as his thoughts were constantly occupied by Airin and a little bit of Jinyoung, but his teacher didn’t call him out on it. Mark felt a little jealous that Jinyoung was able to make Airin have a conversation with him during their first interaction, while he wasn’t able to even have a proper conversation with her at all despite being her seatmate. Jinyoung had a special knack and talent in talking to people, his words could make them feel assured, almost like a mother’s words. Jinyoung was dubbed as the “mother” of GOT7 for a reason, but Mark also noted at Airin seemed to be similar to Jinyoung or even possibly the female version of Jinyoung. Her words seemed oddly reassuring and she always seemed to know what to say in any situation, just like Jinyoung. But Mark wondered if it was due to the fact that his parents were high ranking members of “The Agency”, Jinyoung was just a spy while Mark was a spy who was also the son of two of the directors. The situations were completely different, perhaps that was why Airin was more inclined to talk to Jinyoung rather than him. Mark was jealous that Jinyoung had been the first one to help Airin open her heart a little, Jinyoung didn’t even know Airin other than knowing her name, but yet Jinyoung could get Airin to speak her thoughts and have a conversation with him. Mark could never admit it to anyone but himself that he found Airin to be very interesting. He liked teasing her, just to see her reaction. Airin was attractive, and Mark couldn’t deny that fact, and it wasn’t only because of her looks but also mainly because of the little bits of her actual personality which Mark had managed to pick up. Airin was of average height, she was obviously smart, she was good a good listener and overall very good girlfriend material, and this was what the other boys of the school had described her to be. It’s been barely a week since Mark met Airin, but somehow she felt different from the other people that Mark has met so far. Mark could only come to one conclusion about Airin right now, and that was the fact that he had a crush on her, not that Mark would label it as a crush at all. Mark would rather label it as an interest which caused Mark to pay special attention to her. It all started out as a request from his father, who ironically intertwined Airin and Mark’s lives and fates, when he was the one who opposed the idea of Mark being involved with a traitor.

‘What should I do?” Wondered Mark.

And before Mark knew it, the lunch bell had rung. Mark glanced at Airin and she caught his glance, which she returned with a raised eyebrow. Mark nearly blinked, it wasn’t the blank stare which she had given him during the past two days. Mark wondered if this was an aftereffect of talking to Jinyoung, Airin was showing a little more emotion to others. Mark watched as Airin left the classroom presumably to meet up with Soojung.

Airin made her way to the rooftop with her lunch where Soojung was waiting for her. Soojung had her own special hideout in the rooftop, it was hidden by the rooftop garden.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” Asked Soojung, when she noticed Airin’s slightly puzzled expression.

Airin bit her lower lip before relaying what had happened earlier during class to Soojung.

“I should have told you about that incident. But things worked out fine. Jinyoung-shi is like that to everyone though. But I do wonder why people like them are in ‘The Agency”. Just continue your act until the reason why your parents were labelled as traitors in the first place is known. Hanging out with agents from “The Agency” can be a little confusing due to their kind personalities but ruthless work attitude in getting the job done.” Said Soojung.

“I don’t know what to think or feel anymore. I don’t know if I can keep this act up. I don’t know if I want to trust them or not. You know that I can’t trust people so easily anymore.” Said Airin.

“Then why did you trust us?” Asked Soojung.

“You guys weren’t lying, I could tell that. I remember Joonmyeon oppa telling me that everyone in Shadows has an experience which made them into the people they are now. And if the EXO-K oppas are willing to trust you guys, I will too. I trust Joonmyeon oppa’s decisions, he has been in almost the same situation as Junho and myself.” Said Airin.

“Unnie, don’t worry. Things will be fine, everyone will be here with you.” Said Soojung.

“I guess that you are right, things will work out somehow.” Said Airin.

Soojung gave a small smile before she opened her lunchbox and Airin did the same. Kyungsoo definitely knew all of their tastes and favourite food. Airin didn’t eat much of her lunch, she wasn’t that hungry. Soojung patted Airin’s back before she headed back to class. Airin stayed at the rooftop for a little while longer, staring down at the activity happening in the school field while standing by the railings. There were kids playing soccer, basketball and a few other sports. There were also students hanging out while having lunch all around the garden.

“They seem so carefree, if certain things didn’t happen, would things have been the same?” Wondered Airin.

“What are you thinking about?” Asked a voice.

Airin noticed from her corner of her eye that it was Mark.

“Some stuff, mainly about how different a Korean school is from an American one.” Shrugged Airin.

Mark raised an eyebrow because he didn’t buy the reply but it oddly sounded right and understandable. Mark knew that Airin wasn't telling him the truth, maybe not the entire truth, but she oddly sounded convincing enough for non-spy to believe.

“Don’t you trust me?” Asked Mark, walking towards Airin to stand beside her along the railings.

“I don’t know. I want to trust you, but I can’t.” Replied Airin, a reply which surprised Airin herself since the reply was honest.

“Then why are you able to open up to Jinyoung? What’s the difference between him and me?” Asked Mark, feeling a twinge of jealousy.

Airin fell quiet for a while before responding, “I don’t know.”

“Please stop. I’m really confused right now, I really need some time alone.” Said Airin.

Mark inspected Airin before nodding, “But promise me something.”

“What?” Asked Airin.

“Promise me that you will tell me everything, I just want to help you. I don’t know why my father is after you, but I want to help you.” Said Mark.

‘But won’t you be betraying your father?” Asked Airin.

“He requested me to look for you, it’s not an official mission. I choose what actions I can take, and I will not let my father affect them. Helping you, is a decision that I made alone.” Said Mark.

“But why?” Asked Airin, feeling a chill going down her spine.

“Because you interest me.” Replied Mark, simply which wasn’t really a lie.

“What do you want?” Asked Airin, biting her lower lip.

“I just want to know you, the real you.” Said Mark, edging closer to Airin.

“But why me?” Asked Airin.

“Because you are special.” Said Mark.

“Why should I trust you?” Asked Airin.

“Because I am the only one who knows at least a gist of your situation. The others know nothing about you or your situation.” Said Mark.

“What are you hesitating for? It’s not like you have much to lose if you work with me, I can easily convince my parents, and you’ll make new friends too. Your brother has already befriended two of my friends as well.” Said Mark, edging even closer to Airin.

Airin looked away, she couldn’t trust anyone so easily anymore, especially not after what had happened. Mark’s words seemed genuine, but he could be faking it.

Mark used his finger to lift Airin’s face so that their eyes met, Mark stared at the girl and tried to read the emotions in her eyes. This time the words that came to Mark’s mind were fear, love and loneliness. Mark guessed that Airin was afraid of being loved as she didn’t want loneliness to take over after the happiness leaves. But what made Airin into such a person still confused and puzzled Mark.

Mark reached out to pet Airin’s head before giving a small smile.

“Don’t worry about what the future will bring, if you focus on doing what you can in the present, you will definitely be rewarded for your hard work.” Said Mark.

“His hand feels so warm, it is as if he is emitting some sort of happy virus to make people happy.” Thought Airin.

“Let’s head back to class, we don’t want to be late.” Said Mark.

Mark turned around and left the rooftop with Airin following his steps a few moments later. Airin noted Mark’s posture and steps, it was confident but yet soft, it was as if he was appealing to Airin to accept his offer.

“Checking me out eh?” Smirked Mark, when he noted Airin’s gaze.

Airin simply rolled her eyes in response, an indication that Mark took to be a sign that she was showing more signs of emotion to others. And perhaps that was enough for the moment, the fact that Airin was starting to show signs of warming up to Mark, it was enough for Mark for the moment.