Avoid the trouble

Im in love with a jerk

I thought I saw a ghost. How can I not think that? What I saw in front of my door was a flying scary looking head. To my shock, my mouth was about to let out a scream when he pushed me to the wall behind me and covered my mouth preventing me to make a noise. I was so scared that I couldn’t move or think what to react.

 

“Don’t scream. You’ll wake everybody” it was Kris’ voice. The ‘ghost’ switched on the hallway lights and took off his mask, revealing Kris who was wearing all black. He was trying to hold back his laughter. His hand was still covering my mouth. “Don’t try to shout at me for this. You’ll get really noisy and I might have to kiss you to shut you up” he let go of me.

 

I didn’t shout at him. “You think this is funny?” my voice was cracking. “Do you know how much I hate you right now?” I realized my cheeks are wet.

 

“I I I’m sorry….”

 

“So now you’re sorry?” I wiped my tears away but they kept accumulating in my eyes. “Could you leave from my room now? Please?” I looked down at the floor and saw his feet walking out. I shut the door and went to bed.

 

“Please stop crying…..” I heard him at the door. Soon I fell asleep almost instantly. When I woke up, it was day light. I stretched my body and I felt so good. It’s like I haven’t slept in a month. I took my shower and when I was drying my hair, I saw what seemed to be a piece of paper on the floor in front of my door.

 

I picked it up and read it.

 

“I’m sorry about last night. I didn’t mean to make you cry, I just wanted to have some fun and thought that maybe you’d think it was a dumb and you’d laugh about it someday. I figured you think last night was really mean, you’re right, it was…

 

And I’m sorry about the coffee too. I annoyed you so many times in different ways in a day. How much do you hate me now?”

 

I lowered the paper down. He’s nice in writing, but not in person. I sighed. What do I do now that I’ve read this very good apology letter? I was planning to pretend he doesn’t exist until I’m not mad at him anymore which I am right now.

 

I fall onto my bed and thought about it. What would I do when I meet him? I wouldn’t know how to react. Ignore him? No, that would be too mean. Talk to him casually? How? I’ve never done that. All we’ve been doing since we met was arguing. Thank him for the apology? Now I’m just being ridiculous, who thanks a person who apologizes? I’ll just avoid him until I know what to do.

 

“Are you awake?” GNa came into my room. I quickly hide the letter under my pillow. “Yes, I’m awake. What’s wrong?” I asked.

 

“Let’s go get breakfast” she chirped. “Where?” I asked. “Where do you want to eat? It’s my treat. Dry your hair faster because I’m hungry”

 

“Just us?” I asked. “Yeah. My brother is still asleep and my parents went to work”

 

“Why aren’t you at work?”

 

“I’m having my afternoon shift today and I’ll be back home at night. In my free time this morning, I want to have breakfast with you”

 

Fuuh. Kris is still sleeping I guess since he said he was tired from his flight last night. I have a chance to slip out from the house before he wakes up and meet me. I seriously dried my hair as quick as I can and asked GNa to follow my car instead so I could send her off to work.

 

Because I’m not going back to her house with her with me and see me and Kris being awkward with each other, especially me avoiding him.

 

“You haven’t answered my question” GNa spoke while we’re waiting for our breakfast to be served.

 

“What question?” I asked.

 

“Last night, I texted you asking about my brother. Did you not get the text?”

 

“Oh yes. I did. I’m sorry, I just read it this morning and wanted to tell you face to face since it was already morning. I fell asleep almost instantly after you left my room last night, I guess I was also jetlagged” I excused. “Ummm… I think Kris is uhh…. He’s really nice” I thought about the apology letter as I say ‘nice’

 

“Do you mean that?” she asked.

 

“Of course I do” I smiled.

 

“Good. Because I’d very much like the two of you to get along with each other well”

 

“Hmm. Why is that?”

 

“Because I like seeing the two people I care about, care for each other”

 

“You’re silly. We’re all adults”

 

“I know” she smiled as she sips her tea.

 

Breakfast was then over and after talking, it was almost 11 am.

 

“Wow. Didn’t feel like we’ve been here for almost 3 hours” I said.

 

“Yeah. And even with those hours we spent, I still feel like we can keep talking”

 

“When do we ever stop talking to each other?” I laughed. “Come on. I’ll send you to work now before you got late for it”

 

“You’re going to go straight back home after sending me off?” she asked.

 

“I’ll probably stop by at some store to buy some snacks for me to eat at home. Can’t get rid of my snack eating habit. Call me when you finish with your work”

 

“Oh no. it’s fine, I’ll take a taxi. You must be tired still from your flight yesterday”

 

“Okay. Just come into my room whenever you want okay” and with that, I left her work place and went home. Parking my car in the garage, I inhale and exhale deeply before making my way into the house. I really hope I don’t bump into Kris.

 

I opened the door slowly and quietly and peeked inside to see the room empty. I walked silently quick towards my room and went inside where I don’t have the chance to encounter Kris.

 

“Is that you ____________? Did you just come home? Where did you go? Can we talk?” it’s him….