002

Euphonious Voices
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

     

 

 

        I really hate living in this kind of deserted and isolated place--like here.

        Sometimes, I’m confused with what is going on inside both of my parents’ head. I’m sure one hundred percent, they knew we certainly could get more a better life in the capital city of South Korea, Seoul, than here. Frankly, what made me confuse even more was the reason why they wanted our little family coming back to Korea in the first place. I mean, we already had a good and stable life in Toronto, Canada. The first time we landed our feet, they'd said they were statisfied to make a living in there. So, why did they suddenly want to come back here again?

        Honestly, I didn’t wholly disagree with this idea of coming back. I just had grown feeling comfortable living in Canada. It’s just hard, you know, because that means I had to leave all of my bestfriends I have in Canada behind. Friends—which really are hard to find and gain, since I’m not a typical of person who can easily befriend someone, and it’s rarely to find a friend who is genuine and trustworthy nowadays. Even though, now I’m living in Masan that doesn’t mean all people in here are decent, right? albeit I believe they are more trustable then people in city which had been corrupted with their nasty lifestyle. But still, I prefer having them than make a new friend again.

        I know, I’m supposed to be feeling delightful now, because finally I have a chance to live in my native country again. In addition, I could start living happily with my beloved grandparents—who are my mother’s parents. But if I was able to choose, I would choose not to, nevertheless, even though everyone knew I really love my grandparets.

        And that was also the reason why made my mother even more ecstatic with this moving in thingy. Because she finally can reunite and meet with Halmoni and Haraboeji. My father, as a good husband he is, agreed to Mum since he said he’d been wanting to live in a place which is far from boisterousness and hecticness, therefore; he couldn’t more agree with my mother. Much to my misery. No wonder they're meant for each other, their characters are similar.

        Despite my incessant protests to them, they still didn’t budge even when I was seeking for help from my older brother—my Oppa, Son Ho Jun, he just agreed carelessly without thinking what will we have to face afterwards by living in here. He said that I was being childish just because of that subtle matter. What a supportive Oppa I have.

        The most struggle thing I have to deal from now on is, how to understand carefully what people in Masan are saying. I’m still able to speak Korean, but it was way more different in my case! I mean, their dialects are troublesome sometimes for me. I couldn’t get what they are saying literally. Everytime I did  I ended up like an idiot whenever my new neighbour started babbling around with their satoori. This one of the disadvantages of living here.

        Like now. Here I’m at the canteen of my new school, Anyang High School, buying a can of juice from this fool vending machine that doesn’t give it out until now--even I had paid for that. And I don’t know what to do, Oh Gosh—why now?

        “Ya ,gimme my drink now, you thief!” I accused desperately at an inanimate object in front of me, like a dummy person I am. I have been waiting patiently for minutes now, Why still hasn't it come out yet? I frowned.

 

        What to do?

 

       Should I ask for help?

 

        I saw my surrounding, there are actually some of students sauntering by leisurely around here and there.

        But what if I don’t get what they are saying? I’ll just make myself out completely like an idiot then. Huh. I hate being in situation like this. Oh God, please help me making this vending machine work! I prayed in my mind.

        As in cue, there a boy standing beside me, just a few inches taller than me with his prominent cheekbone protruding on his face, looks like a senior in here—greeting my friendly.

        Wait a second...I think I have seen this boy somewhere, but where? His face seems so familiar to me, I inquired to myself.

        “Hey,” He said, smiling to me, pulling me out from my relentless thought, and asking me whether there was something wrong.

        Because I was too flustered due to his sudden appearence beside me, my jumbled words got caught in my throat, as a result, I couldn’t answer he back. I bet, my face looks terrified as my eyes bulge out as if they might be out from its socket. What a good move, Wendy-ah!, I thought sarcastically.

        There’s a pause from him and he seems troubled

        What was he possibly thinking of?

        Before he yet asked me again, with his distinct satoori, in rather gentle way now. Okay he’s kind of weird, geez. I opinioned.

        Was it rude if I didn’t respond him? But I don’t want to voicing out my problem, because I know this will lead me on to a discussion between us, which means, I’m sure, I wouldn’t quite catch what he was trying to say to me. So, to save my pride from humiliating myself, I chose not to reciprocate his query just now and just pointing my index finger directly at this troubling machine. Not beat around the bush.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter