Burly Wood

22 Colors
 

''Seriously, Krys. I don't need a party! It's just a stupid birthday, it's not as if I'm the first person on earth to reach the age of sixteen, thank God,'' I said, glancing at my best friend. I'd better not be, or I'd lose the only friend I had in this world. ''I'm already enough of a burden on your parents as it is. You can't look me eye to eye, woman to woman, and tell me that your parents haven't spend extra money since we've been best friends. The trips, the food, extra water, extra heater.. do I need to continue?''

''Oh my God, just shut up will you? They're your parents as much as mine, and you know that. They adore you! Remember when you went to Jeju with your aunt and I couldn't go because my grandma was coming over for the week? My parents would not shut up about how much they missed your presence at home. Hell, even my grandma asked for you when I was on the phone!''

That was true, I had to admit that. I think I'd spend more time talking on the phone with Krystal's family than I had with the girl herself for the small week I was on vacation. My aunt had this weird wine tasting event she wanted to attend (she'd been more active in her social life ever since I had been, which made me feel happy in some sort of way), and she figured it'd be a nice break for me as well. Krystal had planned to come as well, but her grandma decided to stay spontaneously, and the woman had a heart too sweet and fragile to be broken. She was just as kind as her daughter and grand-daughter.

''Okay, but still. Who would we invite? You're literally my only friend!''

''What about Amber, Sulli, Vic, Luna, Gina, Ailee, Kibum, Jonghyun, Taemin-''

''Okay, okay. But those are your friends, really. I spend more time with you than with anyone else''

''That's because we are best friends. It's natural. Just like how Taeyeon and Tifanny are always together, right? That doesn't mean that they don't hang with the rest of the cheer squad. It's natural to have one special friend in a group of friends. Just like how Jongdae and Luna are always at each others' houses-''

''That's because he has a major crush on Luna''

We both started giggling. My sixteenth birthday was coming up in a week, and Krystal had insisted on holding a party. She was talking lots of people, booze, cake, presents, making out in closets (which left me extremely uncomfortable, since most of these guys were more my brothers than anything else) and all that jazz. Truthfully, it wasn't the party I feared, it was the making out part that would definitely come along in a group full of teens. I hadn't even had my first kiss yet! Jongin and Sehun had already lost their ities (we were hanging on their lips when they told us, in full detail may I add), and Victoria had confided to the other girls and I that she and her boyfriend Changmin of two years had also made the step. I didn't know it was possible to be more all-over a person then they already were. It was kinda sweet, to be honest. 

''So my sister bought us the booze - don't ask me how. I think she uses that boy Taecyeon, but whatever. My parents agreed to go on a weekend trip, but we have to celebrate your birthday with them as well, they said, so my mom called your aunt and we're all coming together at your place. Grandma and grandpa are coming as well, and Jess is bringing this guy named Kris. He's this new transfer student but he's super cool, I think you'll like him. The gang is coming over as well for a pre-birthday party cake bash. It's gonna be adorable. I bought you the best gift ever, by the way''

Where had I been when all this was planned? Leave it to Krystal to fill in my life completely. Not that I didn't let her.

''So the party starts at eleven and everyone is staying over. I got everything ready so please say yes!''

''As if you'd take no for an answer''

''Yes, yes yes yes! I love you!'', Krystal squealed, jumping me for a hug. I felt myself freeze for a moment, before hugging her back. What was my problem?

 ''Krystal, Noa! Your lunch break is in fifteen minutes, can't you give me a break and just pay attention, please?'', mister Lee asked us. We let out a cheery apology as we hurriedly went back to our work. Mister Lee shook his head, but let out a small smile as he continued his lecture.

The week went by faster than I would have hoped, and soon, I found myself in a short, white dress (identical to the one Krystal wore - she loved matching outfits almost as much as life itself) and pretty, sea blue flats (one of the many presents I had received). My hair was half-up-half-down (courtesy of Jessica), my nails were painted white, and my face sported light makeup. As I ascended from the stairs, Krystal took a chaste breath, as if she was a groom waiting for his bride. I rolled my eyes, but a small smile still managed to leave my tight lips. 

''You look gorgeous!'', Jongin said. 

''I don't'', I muttered. We were standing by the cake table, as I had finally found a minute away from everyone. My aunt and Krystal's uncle were hitting it off pretty well, so it seemed. He was a single dad of one (the most adorable one in the world, by the way), as his wife had left him for a much richer, much older man five years ago. 

''Is she twirling her hair?''

''I don't even know anymore'', I said. We both laughed, causing Krystal to look up to us. She was looking kind of weird, but she smiled at me as soon as she caught my eye. She was chatting with Hyoyeon and Sooyoung. ''Wanna share this slice? I've eaten so much that I can't take more than a half, but it'd be a waste to throw away''

''Sure'', Jongin laughed. He was searching for a spoon, but they seemed to be all in use. ''Let's just share this spoon, who cares'', he mumbled.

Soon, he was feeding me the cake, as I was in charge of holding the plate. I had never really talked this much one on one with Jongin. Sure, we sit next to each other in math (it was one of the few classes Krys and I didn't take with each other, the girl was hopeless with numbers), but after being set back a year or two after my parents' death, I was now a rather serious student, making sure I payed attention in class. It wasn't as if I never talked with my seat mates, I just made sure I payed attention more than I talked. It was a trait that caused many teachers to like me, or even favor me.

''So, you exited for the after party?'', Jongin asked, a mischievous smile upon his tanned face.

I let out a hearty laugh. ''Is that a smirk, Kim Jongin? And yes, I am. Why the sudden interest?'' Where did this new found confidence come from? Was I actually flirting?

''Oh, you know. Just looking forward to it''

It. That left me wondering. It, as in the party, or it, as in other activities? I didn't dare ask further.

''Okay, kids! The oldies are going to enjoy some cheese and wine, and we're leaving for our trip by midnight, which is in an hour. Let's heave a last toast to our beautiful child, Noa! Happy birthday, dear!'', mister Jung cheered.

I was being kissed and congratulated left and right. Jongin sneaked an arm around my waist, as he planted a soft, lingering kiss on my cheek. It made me feel kind of weird. I felt a gaze upon me, but when I looked up at Krystal, she merely smiled.

''Okay, guys, let's leave for my house! Let the party start!''

The gang cheered and chatted as we all took the short walk to Krystal's house. Sehun had soon found Jongin's side, and I quickened my phase to catch up to Krystal. She saw me coming from behind, and stepped to the side to wait up for me.

''Hey there, birthday babe. How are you enjoying this much-dreaded party?'', she teased.

''Fine, fine! You were right. I'm having a lot of fun''

''I could tell,'' she muttered.

I looked at her questioningly, as I didn't catch what she had said, but she merely smiled and shook her head, yet again leaving me wondering about her strange behavior tonight. She fished the keys out of her pocket, and soon, we were all in her living room. Loud music was drumming through my ears, a glass of vodka on the rocks had been pushed in my hand by Sunny (''Live a little, Jeez!''), and my flats had been replaced by tall, bordeaux red heels, given to me by Sulli (''I just had to buy them. You look so, so tall! My pretty pretty Noa!'', she had said, as she had planted a thousand smooches on my face)

I was sitting inbetween Kris and Tao, as they were telling me funny story about their time back in China. Just as I thought my stomach would rip from laughing so hard (part the alcohol, part the boys), cheeky Sehun stood up and yelled at us to be quiet.

''We all know a party isn't a party without truth or dare. So let's all sit in a circle and play! Dirty questions are allowed, if not encouraged'', he said, flashing a grin. The clock struck three as we all scrambled together.

I found myself placed between Krystal and Jongin, who had found his way back to me again. He lazily draped an arm across my shoulder, and I didn't miss Minseok's wink at him either. I chose to let it slide, it was probably a stupid bet again.

Right?

''Okay, we'll let the birthday girl start'', Ailee smiled.

I looked around left and right, and decided to place a safe bet. ''Uhm... Okay, okay. Yuri eonni, truth or dare?''

''Truth,'' she said, inbetween sipping her drink. Yuri was known to hold her liquor really, really well.

Some of the guys boo-ed, but Yuri merely rolled her eyes. She really didn't care.

''How many guys have you kissed?''

Yuri laughed at me before answering. ''What a cute question, Noa''. I felt my face turn red a bit, partly from what she said, partly from Jongin twirling my hair between two fingers. I chucked my drink down as I looked at Yuri, expectantly. ''Twelve? Twenty? I don't really keep track'', she chuckled.

The guys started hooting. Yuri asked Yoona a question, who in turn dared Kibum to pull his pants down (black Calvin Klein boxers). Soon, the circle found it's way back to me.

''Okay, Noa. Truth, or dare?'', Luhan asked. I was definitely tipsy at this point. The drinks just kept coming, and I just kept drinking. Surprisingly enough, Krystal said nothing. She'd been chugging drinks down herself as well, but I was too drunk to worry at this point. ''Dare''. As soon as the words rolled from my mouth, Krystal's head snapped to the right to look at me. Her eyes were wide open, and her hand was slightly trembling, but I pretended not to notice.

Everyone started hooting, and Jongin's mouth sported a big grin. He nodded his head at Luhan, who, in turn, winked at him.

''I dare you to French kiss Jongin for three minutes!''

Everyone started howling, and I felt my face turn a light shade of red. Jongin took my face between his two hands, and turned it towards him. my hair from my face, he smiled at me. Just as his lips hit mine, I felt myself being yanked back. Krystal took my hand and hoisted me up hurriedly. She opened the front door and ran outside, tugging me along with her. 

The last thing I saw before the door hit close, was Jessica's frowning face.