Pacific Blue

22 Colors
 

My eyes fluttered open softly from the sound of my father singing from down the stairs. He was probably in the kitchen, bugging my mom as she was making us breakfast. The sun softly rested on my face, as I swung my legs from the edge of my white bed.  
 
Just as I got up to go to the bathroom, my mom walked into my room. ''Oh, you're up already!'', she said, coming over to cup my face between her hands. She gave me two big pecks on either side, making me squirm under her grip. ''Ma~'', I said flustered. 
 
''Oh, stop it Noa. You're only ten, let me love you a little'', she chuckled. ''Look at how pretty the ocean is today! Want to  go swimming after breakfast?'', she asked. She cracked open my window to let the soft smell of the sea invade our nostrils. It smelt like heaven. 
 
Every morning, one of them would come into my room to wake me up. My mom would always shower me with kisses, and my dad, the playful one, would usually push my out of my bed and lay in it himself, after which he proceeded to pretend he was a child, hugging my stuffed animals vigorously, and refusing to get up. One of them would always make breakfast, usually an array of toast, pancakes, teas, milk, muffins, eggs, all the things I loved to eat, they'd make it every morning. 
 
Thanks to my swimming, I never gained too much weight. We went out to swim every single day, after which my parents dropped me off at school, and they went to work themselves. Everyone my age loved swimming, we lived in a small village, all the kids knew each other. It wasn't unusual to find one of your classmates in the water as well before class started. 
 
I loved going to school. I got along with everybody, I had the nicest teachers, I loved doing my homework, I loved learning new things. During our lunch break, the other kids and I would always trade bits from our lunches, we'd tell each other about dreams we had the other night, or funny things that happened at home. Sometimes, we'd go get ice cream as well. I loved ice cream, I got a new flavor every day until I had tried all of them. 
 
We'd play tag, we'd play with our dolls, we'd sit in the grass and just talk for hours. My friends and I always had the most fun when we were together. 
 
''Yeah, sure'', I nodded at my mom. She squeezed my hand as she let her eyes wander over the sweet, sweet sea. I often wondered what she was thinking about when she stared at the sea like that. I, for one, always thought of my parents when I looked at it. I mean, we had been going to the sea almost every day for as long as I could remember. 
 
''Are you ready? Go wash your face and come downstairs. Daddy made blueberry muffins'', she said, plastering some more kisses on my face. I wormed myself out of her embrace as I ran to the bathroom. Grabbing my pink toothbrush, I brushed my teeth diligently. After that, I splashed some water on my face as well. Drying it off, I put on some socks, as I finally proceeded down the stairs. 
 
''My honey bunny is up! Good morning my dearest little princess, how are you feeling on this fine, fine day?'', my father asked. Taking my hands in his, he swayed me along to the pop song playing on the radio. I laughed as I danced along with him. ''I'm feeling fine, daddy. You?'' 
 
My father my hair as he guided us to sit down. ''I feel fine as well, honey bunny. Here, have a muffin'', he said. ''Sweety, which one do you want?'' 
 
''I want a banana muffin'', my mom said, as she poured milk into a mug for me. 
 
Eating to our hearts' content, we all got up to quickly dress ourselves to go for our morning swim. I was always the first one to get ready. I'd wait for my parents on the couch of our small living room, usually I'd just play a game on my phone until they appeared. 
 
''You know, honey bunny'', my father said, pulling a t-shirt over his head. ''I was thinking, what if we don't go swimming today? I don't really feel like it, maybe we should just stay in'' 
 
I immediately sprung up from my seat. ''But da~d!'', I whined. ''We always go swimming! Besides, you love swimming! Let's just go!'', I begged. 
 
''Alright, alright'', my dad gave in. I skipped to the car quickly. The sea wasn't far from here, but my school was, so we always went with our car to make sure I didn't go to school too late. 
 
''Why don't you want to go?'', I heard my mom ask quietly'' My dad unlocked the car, and I eagerly opened the back door. ''Just a weird feeling'', he replied. 
 
I was singing along to a song on the radio as my dad drove us to the beach. The last thing I heard was my mom screaming, as another car collided with ours. A warm sensation took over, as a piece of glass pierced me through my neck. I was in a state of shock. People left and right were screaming. Someone yanked the doors open. They unfastened my seat belt, and pulled me out of the car. 
 
I heard someone say they were dead. I couldn't move. Someone pulled the glass out of my neck. Not too deep, I heard them mutter, 
 
I heard ambulances coming. There was blood everywhere. Someone lifted me off the ground, and carried me into one of the ambulances. I felt scared. I wanted my mom. 
 
''Mommy?'', I asked quietly. The cut in my neck stung. My hands were shaking. I wanted to get up. 
 
''Oh, poor girl...'', I heard someone say. 

If only we'd stayed in. If only I hadn't whined to my dad about wanting to go swimming. I felt a sense of panick hit me suddenly. Were they really dead? What was going to happen to me? I didn't understand anything. The ambulance was rushing to the hospital. What about school? I wanted to go home. 

I started hyperventilating. I tried to touch the wound in my neck, but someone held my hands. ''Just breathe, babygirl, just breathe'', they instructed. I couldn't. My breath was caught up in my chest.

Suddenly, everything went black.