Seven Beat

The Beat Of My Heart

Jackson

I had an extra spring in my step the following week. We still hadn't said the words "boyfriends" or "dating" yet, but I thought it was safe to assume they applied to us after our little kiss. I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it, though, because I had a feeling Mark wouldn't appreciate it. I just had to slightly shift the way I thought about our relationship. We were now friends who occasionally would do coupley things. Yeah.

I finished getting dressed and went downstairs into the kitchen where my parents were. "Good morning!" I said cheerfully as I headed straight to the fridge for a quick drink of orange juice. 

They looked at each other, puzzled. "You do know it's Monday right?" my mom said.

"Yes, mother, I know it's Monday. And a good one at," I replied, smiling from ear to ear. She just looked at my dad and he shrugged his shoulders. I laughed and grabbed a couple of granola bars from the cupboard. "Well, I gotta go a little early today," I said as opened on up and started eating it.

"Why?" my mom asked after taking a sip of her coffee.

"I'm picking up Mark and then we're driving to school," I said, mouth full.

"Oh okay. Well, be careful. Don't eat and drive," she yelled after me as I began to walk away. I waved and shut the front door behind. Before I started my car, I thought it'd be nice to give Mark a heads up before I got there.

To: Marky
Coming to pick you up and then were going to school
Sent: 7:02 a.m.

From: Marky
Why? My mom usually takes me.
Sent: 7:03 a.m.

To: Marky
Because im trying to be cute
Sent: 7:04 a.m.

From: Marky
Lol there are better ways to be cute
Sent: 7:05 a.m.

To: Marky
Well I chose this way so just be ready when i get there or else youre walking
Sent: 7:06 a.m.

From: Marky
Geez bossy much? I might take that kiss back now...
Sent: 7:07 a.m.

To: Marky
You wouldnt even if you wanted to do you like me too much 😌
Sent: 7:08 a.m.

From: Marky
Whatever I'll be ready
Sent: 7:09 a.m.

I laughed and put my phone down before I started the car. The drive to his house was even shorter than the walk, so I pulled up to his house and beeped the horn less than ten minutes later. He came right out and got into the car. His mom followed him out and waved when she saw me. 

I waved back before rolling down the window and saying, "Hope you don't mind me taking Mark to school."

"It's totally fine. I appreciate it," she explained. I smiled and nodded my head.

"Bye mom. See you later," he said waving. She waved back and returned inside. I started the car back up and was just getting ready to take off when I felt Mark's hand on mine. I looked at him, smiled, and kissed his cheek. He smiled and our hands stayed together for the entire ride to school.

We pulled up to school and were greeted by Bam Bam, Yugyeom, and Youngjae when we got out. "Hey guys," I said, locking the car.

"Good morning!" Bam Bam exclaimed, seeming more excited than usual. 

I looked at Yugyeom. "Did he have sugar for breakfast?"

"No, he just finally beat the level he was stuck on in this video game," he explained. I nodded and patted Bam Bam's head. We all walked in school and discovered that we still had 20 minutes left until the first bell rang, so we decided to grab some food from the cafeteria.

"I gotta split guys," Youngjae said suddenly. 

"Why?" Bam Bam asked. "I need all of my friends here to share my victory with."

"I have to practice if I have any chance of winning the talent show," he explained. Bam Bam made a pouty face, rolling his eyes and dropping the subject.

"What does the winner get anyway?" Mark asked. 

"Free studio time to record a demo," he said smiling excitedly.

"Dude, that's major," I said. "Why are you still here and not practicing?" He laughed and waved bye as he walked away.

"We definitely have to go see him perform," Yugyeom said after Youngjae disappeared around the corner to the music room. "I think it's at like eight the evening of the last day of school."

"Count me in. Mark, you'll be there too right?" I turned to him. He was looking down the hall with a kind of concerned expression on his face. I waved my hand in front of his face and he jumped. "Hello? Earth to Mark. What were looking at?" 

"Nothing, nothing. Did you ask me something?" he said. 

"I asked if you were going to the talent show to see Youngjae with us." 

"Oh, yeah totally. What time is it?" 

"8 p.m., last day," Yugyeom repeated.

"Cool. I'll be there," he said. "I think I'll get to first period early instead. See you guys later." 

Then he scurried off down the hall, looking like he was in a hurry. A began to worry a little as I stood there. There were still five minutes left, so I decided to see where Mark went and just asked Bam Bam and Yugyeom to grab some food for me. When I found him, he was talking to someone in the gym. I couldn't tell who it was because their back was towards me.

All I could see was Mark who had a serious expression on his face. I didn't really know what was happening, but the overwhelming feeling that I should suddenly came over me. Right when I was about to leave for the cafeteria, I saw something that completely shattered my happiness.

Mark

I didn't like lying to Jackson, but if I told him where I was really going, he wouldn't understand. Especially Jackson. He really wouldn't have understood. 

When I caught up to Jinyoung, he turned around and just looked at me with a faint smile.

"Hey, Mark." 

"Can we go somewhere and talk?" I asked, feeling a little hesitant. He nodded and I followed him as he began to walk. He walked up to the two big doors that led into the gym and pushed them open. No one was there yet, but ee continued to walk into a less visible spot just in case someone came in. He turned to face me once we were in a more remote spot. A long moment of awkward silence passed until I finally said something.

"About what happened at the hospital--" He stopped me before I could finish my sentence. 

"I know. I don't really know why I did it. I guess I was just so in shock about the whole you passing out thing," he said with his head down. 

"If that was some weird way of you apologizing, you don't have to. I mean I'm not mad at you," I explained. He brought his head back up. "I guess I just wanted to tell you that I do like you but not as much as I thought...I mean, not like you may like--" All of a sudden he just hugged me. I just stood there not knowing what to do.

"I understand. You don't have to explain. I understand," he said, his voice silent and soft. I smiled a little and hugged him back. He let go and sighed. "Well, I guess we better get back so we aren't late." I just nodded and went to first period. 

I got there two minutes before the bell was about to ring. I went back to my seat and got out all my stuff before I realized Jackson wasn't here yet. Then, at the last minute, he came walking in rather slowly. 

He came back and plopped in his chair when the teacher said to him, "One more tardy and that's detention, Jackson." He just nodded carelessly and sat back in his chair. 

I didn't ask him what was wrong, but the urge to grew stronger because he was pretty much silent for the rest of the day. So, when he drove back home at the end of the day, I finally asked him.

"Is something wrong? You've been quiet all day." He just shook his head and sighed. I still didn't believe him. "I'm not getting out until you tell me what's wrong," I insisted with a completely serious face. 

He looked at me. "How'd you meet that Jinyoung guy?" he asked, his voice deep and serious. That was when it all clicked in my head and I chuckled.

"He almost hit me with his car when I was walking home one day. But we're good now."

His eyes widened and he went quiet for a little bit. "Was he the one who dropped you off at the basketball game?"

"Yeah. He came into the store just as I was leaving and offered me a ride," I said. 

He nodded his head slowly and lowered it. "Do you...l-like him?" he said cautiously as if he was bracing himself for rejection. Yeah, I don't think I should tell him.

"Yeah, he's a nice guy," I said, taking note of the defeated look that came over his face. "But I like someone else just a little bit more." He lifted his head and looked at me with confusion. I smiled before I kissed him softly on the lips. Then, I got out of the car. "See you tomorrow."