Eleven...Beat

The Beat Of My Heart

Mark

I finished sealing the last bill in the envelope and set it on top of the other two. Even though I was technically losing money, I liked the action of paying bills. It gave me a sense of independence and freedom I never thought I'd be able to experience. 

"Mark!" I got up from the kitchen table at the sound of Jinyoung's voice, leaving the bills there to see what he wanted.

"What?" I asked as I stepped into the living room to see him standing at the front door.

"Some people are here for you," he said.

"Who?" I asked. "I wasn't expecting anyone."

"Can't tell you. You have to come see for yourself," he said, smiling mischievously as he tried to keep the door cracked. I squinted at him and then chuckled, shaking my head before walking beside him.

"Why do you always do this to me?" I said.

"To keep you on your toes. And because they told me to," he said, looking back. I looked where he was looking and saw Youngjae, Bam Bam, and Yugyeom.

"You guys would pull something like that," I said as I laughed again. We all hugged briefly and then I invited them inside.

"So, how have you been?" Youngjae said as the three of them sat down on the couch. "We haven't seen you in forever it feels like."

"Alright, just working and taking some classes at the community college until I can figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. You?" I said.

"Not bad. I just finished my first tour, so I'll probably start working on my next album soon," he said.

"I'm sure it'll be great. I loved the first one," I replied, earning a small, shy smile from him.

"So, what have you two been up to?"

"Me? Oh, nothing much," Yugyeom started to say. "Just trying to get through veterinary school."

"Dr. Kim, huh? Fancy."

He laughed. "Not quite there yet, but one day," he said. 

"What about you, Bam Bam?" I said, turning to him next.

"Well, after graduation I went back home to Thailand for a year or so. Then I got bored and came back here, got a job and an apartment, then started going to school for graphic design. Now I'm getting ready to start helping this team I'm on develop a new video game," he said, smiling.

"Nice, that makes sense for you," I replied with a smile. I turned to Youngjae again. "So, have you talked to Jaebeom lately?" He glanced down and cleared his throat.

"Nope. Haven't even made eye contact with him since opening night." That night seemed so long ago when I thought about it. "But I'm over it. It is what it is," he said, his voice cheering up a little. "You were right. I feel better now that he at least knows." I smiled and nodded at him.

"You talked to Jackson?" Yugyeom asked. At this point, they were all looking at me. 

I shook my head. "Not really," I said, sitting back in the chair. "He kept in touch for a while, but then we both got so busy. I haven't talked to him in months, maybe almost a year."

"I have," Youngjae said. "When I was on my tour in Hong Kong. We had some time to catch up."

"How is he?" Bam Bam asked, voice full of curiosity.

"Good. He said that fencing is going well and that he misses us." I looked down when he said that. "He also said that his contract was coming to an end soon and that'd he probably come back. He didn't say when, though."

I nodded my head, trying to mask the emotions I was experiencing after hearing his words. Though we hadn't stopped talking on bad terms, I didn't know if I was ready to see him again. I didn't know if my heart could handle it.

#######

When I got back to the apartment later that night, I found that Jinyoung was no longer there. I figured he must have been out with his girlfriend again, so I just shut the door and decided to wind down for the night. Right after I was done in the shower, I was just about to sit down and watch some television when I heard another knock on the door. 

"Who the hell...?" I mumbled to myself, glancing at the late time. I walked back over to the door and looked out of the small hole, feeling the entire world come to a stop when I saw him.

"Ja...Jackson?" I said still trying to figure out if my eyes were playing a trick on me. I waited for a moment to open the door, but then slowly began to unlock it and pull it open. He looked just as surprised to see me, but he smiled after a while.

"I told you I'd come back, didn't I?" he said. I could feel the tears coming as he walked closer to me. I was really tired of this guy making me cry. "I know you're probably really mad at me still, but--" 

Before he could talk any more, I strode forward and hugged him. I probably didn't have any more control than I did back then, but if I did, I was using every last ounce of it to make sure he would never leave again.

I didn't say anything, but he seemed to understand because he just exhaled and wrapped his arms around me.

"Do the others know you're here?" I asked after a minute or so when we pulled back.

"Yeah. They kind of helped me plan this actually," he replied.

I laughed. "Of course they did," I said. We began gazing at each other then and I tried my best to blink my tears away.

"I know it's a little late, but I love you," he said, my hands now interlocked with his. 

"Just a little late," I started, earning a soft chuckle from him. "I love you, too." He smiled again and then began leaning in, only stopping when our lips were touching. We broke the kiss after I returned it, our hands still connected. "You wanna come in? I swear my mom won't find out this time," I asked.

He laughed once again and nodded. "Sure," he answered.

The End

A/N

I think that story was the most painful one yet to edit just because it was literally the first fanfic I had ever written lol. I still think it lowkey , but there's been a little improvement I guess lol.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the edits! Thanks for reading and for the support!! xoxoxoxo