Chapter 9

Moonlight

Though Yunho had unchained him, Jaejoong was still left in the room. The high from Yunho’s blood hadn’t quite left him. He was floating in a neutral state of bliss that made him feel warm and happy. He knew he should probably worry about other things right now, but he couldn’t quite remember what they were. They were important, his mind told him that much, but he couldn’t bring himself to linger on them. Not when this peaceful bliss felt so good.

The door swung open, startling him into a standing position. He felt his face break into a smile at the sight of Yunho.

“Hyung,” he greeted, barely hesitating.

“Jaejoong,” Yunho beckoned him over. Jaejoong was by his side in a second, leaning into his chest as an arm wrapped around his waist. “There’s something I would like to show you today,”

“What’s that, hyung?” Jaejoong questioned.

“You’ll see,” Yunho replied. “Come with me,”

Excitement pooled in Jaejoong’s gut as he was led from the room. The scent of lavender floated around him, relaxing his mind and making him feel hot again. He revelled in the feeling, following Yunho down the dark hallways.

At the end of the longest hallway, there was a large door. Yunho pushed it open, gesturing for Jaejoong to step through. He felt his jaw drop at the sight of what was behind the doors. The room was massive, and there was a large depression in the floor, bordered by walls taller than he was. Platforms ringed the area, though there were only two seats, both side by side right in the middle. He didn’t need to ask to know what it was. He already knew it was an arena.

As his initial shock wore off, Yunho nudged him towards the seats. Trotting after his hyung, Jaejoong caught a whiff of something very familiar, though his lavender fogged mind had no interest in identifying it.

Yunho sat in one of the seats calmly, prompting Jaejoong to sit in the one beside him. He looked up at his hyung questioningly, waiting for an explanation.

“Tell me...Jaejoong,” Yunho said, turning towards him. “Do you ever get...bored?”

He nodded, barely hesitating. Immortal life could be beyond boring in a thousand different ways. He’d only lived five years of it, but he was already beginning to understand. Never sleeping turned into aimless pursuits and with very little to pass the time, Jaejoong was never quite sure where to even walk in his endless life.

“I’ve lived for two millennia,” Yunho said, sighing as he folded his hands in his lap. “And the thing is...I’ve done it all and seen it all. The world changes slowly, Jaejoong, but it changes all the same. But you know...one thing that never truly changes about the world are the people who live on it. Do you agree, Jaejoong?”

He hesitated a little that time, but he still nodded.

“I’ve seen many wars, and many dynasties rise and fall. I’ve also met many interesting people, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed watching before their mortal lives faded before their eyes. I’ve also seen many immortals perish beneath the flames of a slayer... but you know what my favourite thing about watching mortals is?”

Jaejoong shook his head, waiting to hear what he had to say.

“The way they fight for every second of their lives,” Yunho grinned widely. “When threatened, mortals can really take up the gauntlet and fight in ways even I’ve never seen before,” he let out a sigh, turning towards the arena. “Around a year ago a group of slayers managed to break into my hideaway here. I decided that maybe I should watch them, maybe have a little fun with them while I was at it,”

Jaejoong felt the dark, nagging feeling prod at the back of his head again. He had to pay attention to this. Slayers... Vampire slayers... That was an important fact.

“There were twelve of them,” Yunho went on, smiling as he continued his story. “And I captured every last one of them,”

“Did you turn them?” Jaejoong asked.

“I wasn’t up for it,” Yunho glanced down at him again. “Their skills impressed me during the fight. I knew I had to watch them more and more. Sadly for their sakes, one by one, they were all killed by my dear friends. Ah, you should’ve heard them. They shouted encouragement at each other and cried when the ones they loved died before their eyes. I can still remember their names in the order of their deaths,” Yunho chuckled. “The first was Baekhyun. Died in his first fight. Bless him,”

Jaejoong swallowed.

“Let’s see... Yixing, Joonmyun, Sehun—oh let me tell you, Sehun was impressive to say the least,”

Jaejoong’s fists clenched around the arm of the chair. He knew these names...

“Jongdae, Kyungsoo... After that was Minseok, Chanyeol, Jongin, Luhan...”

He felt himself starting to tremble. He was glad Yunho didn’t seem to notice.

“Then there was Yifan. Precious Yifan, well loved by the one who still lives. He cried for hours. You should’ve heard his screams when his dear friend bit it,”

Pay attention! His mind shouted at him.

“The last one...well hell if I know what his name is,” Yunho chuckled. “Don’t really care, frankly. I’ll tell you, I’ve never seen a boy like him and I don’t think I ever will again. I’m considering turning him, but lately I’ve really been thinking...I want to see how long he can last,” the vampire flipped the cover off a button panel on the arm of his chair. He pressed one of them and a mechanical grinding sound echoed through the arena. Jaejoong watched as a metal cage door began to open across from him down below in the arena. He tilted his head to the side, watching as something began to move inside it.

A young man barely in his adult years stepped out. His clothes, once black, were now covered in so much dirt and mess they looked brown. The only thing clean on the boy seemed to be the long katana he carried in his hand and the coal black eyes that gleamed up in their direction. Though it had been a long time since Jaejoong had laid eyes on their brother clan, he still recognized the sword wielder in an instant. The name shot through the lavender fog muddling his mind. He gritted his teeth as he tried not to flinch as Yunho’s spell shattered in half a second.

Tao.

The lavender fog immediately slammed back into him, nearly making him groan. Escaping it wasn’t easy, but at the very least, he could focus on the boy in front of him. Tao was a certainty. He had to think about Tao. Nothing else mattered.

“The sad part of this boy,” Yunho said, sighing heavily, “is he can’t speak a word of Korean,”

Jaejoong bit back a smile. Tao must’ve been faking it, because he was perfectly capable of understanding Korean. He rarely spoke it, however, as he was preferential to his mother tongue. He’d expressed long ago that he was self-conscious of his accent, always afraid he would mispronounce something. For the sake of communicating with the slayer, Jaejoong had learned a significant amount of Mandarin. The two of them spent hours up at night just swapping words back and forth in the dying light of the campfire.

Tao’s eyes found his, and immediately, Jaejoong knew he was recognized. The dark eyes of the young man who had once been his friend narrowed. Jaejoong wanted to say something, he really did, but the voice behind the lavender fog warded him back. If he even so much as showed any sign of recognition towards the boy, Yunho might do something terrible.

“Do you speak Mandarin, Jaejoong?” Yunho asked.

“No,” Jaejoong managed to lie.

“I do,” Yunho smiled, turning towards the boy. Immediately, his dialect switched to Tao’s primary language, his tongue flawlessly forming the syllables. “I’d like to introduce this new face to you, boy,” Yunho was saying. “His name is Jaejoong. Please entertain us tonight,”

Tao’s expression darkened. Jaejoong met his eyes again, his brow creased in fear.

“You can both go to hell,” Tao growled, sliding the katana from its sheathe. The metal gleamed up at them in the dim light, making Jaejoong swallow. He knew Tao’s sword had always been special. It was plated, if not made with silver. It was far more effective than any stake in his hands, and the blade was Tao’s specialty. As long as he had that weapon, Jaejoong was certain Tao could survive anything Yunho dared to throw at him.

Chuckling, the vampire settled back into his seat. “He wants us to go to hell,” Yunho said, needlessly translating Tao’s words to him in Korean.

For the sake of coming off as innocent in Yunho’s eyes, Jaejoong let out a laugh. He felt the burning gaze of Tao and could only assume what the slayer was thinking. Jaejoong knew it couldn’t possibly be anything positive.

“Now then,” Yunho said, smiling as he leaned back in the chair. “Let’s get this started,” he pressed a different button this time, the mechanical whirring echoing through the arena once more.

Tao turned, his blade poised and ready to strike as three vampires emerged from another door in the arena. Jaejoong found himself biting his tongue. His mind was a whirlwind of panic, and on top of that the fog was making it incredibly difficult to think. He tried not to reveal too much on his face, but Yunho’s hand curled around his, clenching it tightly.

“Not to worry,” Yunho said calmly. “The boy will lose the fight soon enough. We have no need to fear for our brothers,”

Jaejoong just nodded. He was glad at least that Yunho thought his fears were for the vampires that had just been released into the arena. He had no idea that it was the slayer he was fretting over. Jaejoong silently hoped it would stay that way.

One of the vampires lunged at Tao, his supernatural speed making him move incredibly quickly. The slayer reacted instantly, the sword gleaming as it spun in his hands as he turned, slashing the knee of the vampire. Tao took a few quick steps back, already prepared for his next strike. The wounded vampire let out an agonized scream, clutching his leg as it hissed and burned from the contact with the metal.

Letting out feral growls, the two remaining vampires rushed towards Tao, either out of determination to kill him and avenge their wounded ally, or just for the sake of killing him. Jaejoong couldn’t tell.

Tao’s movements were like a graceful, intricate dance. His body spun and turned, the sword whipping through the air so fast, even Jaejoong’s vampire eyes barely caught the motions. He was on the edge of his seat, the metal of the blade glinting in the light, spurts of vampire blood splattering into the dirt floor of the arena. The three vampires were beginning to slow down, limping and clutching at their bloody injuries as they stalked towards Tao. The slayer had flecks of blood on his cheek, and the crimson liquid dripped off the tip of his sword.

Glancing over at Yunho, Jaejoong swallowed, seeing the creased brow on the vampire’s face. Things didn’t seem to be going according to his plans. A thrill rushed through him, knowing his thoughts went against what his hyung wanted the most. Yunho wanted to see Tao die. Jaejoong wanted to see Tao survive.

The vampires charged once more. In an instant, Tao’s blade cut through the air, decapitating one vampire and slashing the chest open of the second one. He rolled out of the way just before the third one grabbed him and swung upwards as he rose into a crouch, splitting the vampire from navel to chin. Turning his gaze up towards him and Yunho, his dark eyes were threatening, almost challenging as he removed a lighter from his pocket. With the briefest swipes of the flame, the three vampires were ablaze, the flickering light dancing across Tao’s skin.

“I hope that sufficed,” the slayer said bitterly, cleaning his blade with a blood stained rag he removed from the inside of his jacket.

Yunho’s jaw clenched. Jaejoong internally flinched as his mind was suddenly overtaken with images. Not wanting to push them away, he forced himself to focus on them, clearing away the lavender fog invading his mind. Yunho wanted to see Tao die. He would make him fight again tomorrow. He would release one vampire, and then another one when Tao let his guard down at the end of the battle. He wouldn’t be fast enough...

Jaejoong was whipped back to the present, shuddering in his seat as his hands clenched around his arm rests. Luckily, Yunho was completely focused on addressing Tao, an irritated snap to his voice.

“...back into that cage,” the vampire was saying in Mandarin. “Or we’ll see just how long you can last against an army,”

“I’m going to enjoy killing you,” Tao snarled, sheathing his blade and turning on his heel. Jaejoong watched him retreat back behind the door of the cage. Yunho pressed the button again and the bars fell down behind his back just before he disappeared into the shadows of his prison.

“Tomorrow,” Yunho said, turning back towards Jaejoong. “I will enjoy watching that boy die, won’t you?”

“Yes, hyung,” Jaejoong lied easily, even if he knew Tao could probably hear his words. Even so, he had to sell the lie so Yunho would trust him. “I’ll bet his blood will smell good,”

Yunho cracked a grin, his ruby gaze flashing towards him with a cheerful glint. “Yes, it certainly will,”

Ushered out of the arena by Yunho’s hand, Jaejoong silently fretted. Unable to help himself, he glanced over his shoulder back down at the arena, swallowing thickly as his eyes found the cage tucking Tao out of sight behind the smoke of the burning vampires.

“Just keep going,” Yunho said quietly. “It’s too late for them,”

Jaejoong just nodded, facing forward again as the door slammed shut behind him. His mind darted back to the images that had flashed through his mind when Tao’s battle in the arena had ended. He had to warn him, though if Yunho brought him back to that room and locked him up again, doing so would be next to impossible.

“Hyung...?” Jaejoong piped up, slightly ashamed by how timid his voice sounded.

Yunho glanced back at him questioningly.

“Am I going back to that room again...?”

The elder vampire stopped, turning towards him. “Do you want to?”

Jaejoong shook his head. “No, hyung...” Push more, his mind whispered. “I want to stay with you...”

Yunho was silent, his crimson gaze boring into his verdant one. For a moment, Jaejoong thought the elder would refuse and lock him back up. After all, why would he even let him roam free so soon?

The elder’s hand reached over and brushed a lock of hair off his forehead, tucking it smoothly behind his ear. Jaejoong stood still, breathing the scent sliding off Yunho’s skin, the fog starting to take over his mind once more.

“Then you can stay,” Yunho said softly. His fingers traced down Jaejoong’s jawline and beneath his chin. He couldn’t help but shiver, his eyes closing at the contact.  The lavender was far too strong now. He was beginning to forget the real reason he wanted to stay out of the room.

Tao, he tried to think. I have to warn Tao...

He found himself stepping into Yunho’s arms and cuddling against him, laying his head on the elder vampire’s shoulder. Fingers carded through his hair, and his blood grew hot once more. His mind whirred, even as Yunho broke the embrace, smiling at him softly.

“Why don’t you take a look around?” The elder smiled, smoothing out Jaejoong’s clothes, his hands running over every inch of his torso. “This is your home as much as it’s mine,”

Jaejoong nodded. “I’d like that, hyung. May I?”

“Of course you can,” Yunho pulled his hands away and stepped back. “I have a few things I need to do, but I will be back in a few hours,”

“Okay, hyung,” Jaejoong smiled. “Come home safe,”

“Of course, my Jaejoong,”

The fog was beginning to win once more as Jaejoong struggled to push it away. He said his final farewells to Yunho, heaving a deep breath when the powerful scent of his hyung faded into the distance. Barely hesitating, Jaejoong his heel and began to run back down the hall. Urgency flooded through him, even as he dashed past doors he’d never even opened. He silently prayed nobody would try to stop him, though he didn’t know who would.

He pushed through the doors and back into the arena. The smoke from the vampires had begun to dissipate, clouding the ceiling and slowly trickling its way out of ventilation holes. Piles of ashes smouldered silently where they’d been left.

Jaejoong leapt over the railing and landed on the dirt ground, racing towards the cage he’d seen Tao slip into. He skidded to a stop in front of the bars, his green eyes darting around the inside of the cell, searching for his friend.

“Tao!” he breathed, his voice hissing out in a loud whisper.

The slayer had tucked himself into the back corner of the cell, hidden in the shadows, his dirt covered outfit making him blend nearly flawlessly with the wall behind him. Jaejoong quickly locked eyes on him as he moved, Tao’s dark gaze meeting his own.

“Go away,” Tao growled.

“Not until I tell you this,” Jaejoong said in Mandarin, letting his brow crease, feeling a twinge of panic as the fog threatened to overtake him again, though Yunho wasn’t anywhere near. “Please trust me. Yunho is going to kill you tomorrow unless you do,”

Tao didn’t move, merely running his finger up and down the hilt of his katana as though contemplating whether to draw it and strike or to leave it where it was.

“He’ll let one vampire out tomorrow, and when you let your guard down after the fight, he’ll let another one out. The second one will kill you, Tao, please, be careful,”

The slayer said nothing, his lips pursed together without comment. As the fog began to blanket his mind once more, Jaejoong realized his time was up. He grimaced and stepped away from the cage, dashing from the arena and leaping up and over the railing easily. He didn’t stop running until the fog choked his thoughts once more, pushing Tao to the back of his mind.

.

.

.

A/N: Okay I didn’t actually intend for this part to dominate a whole chapter but I guess whatever happens, happens. But yes! Tao is the story’s cameo character!

Putting Tao into the story wasn’t even part of my original plan. I just so happened to get more than a little curious about Tao as I was RPing with a Tao in the role play I frequent (actually my Gikwang is in a relationship with him HAHAHAHA the ship is called Taogi). I ended up looking up some EXO-M music videos, and his role in MAMA caught my attention. He pretty much chopped my bias list up with that sword, so I decided to give him a role in this story – as a swordsman. I apologize for killing completely removing the other members of EXO from the story – I have no roles for them, so you’ll just have to enjoy Tao~

Also, yes, I am very upset about what happened to him – but I am quite happy that he chose to leave EXO. He did well, and I’m proud of him. (If you oppose my opinion on this matter and wish to voice it, feel free to politely PM me – I do not like being flamed, especially in the comment section of my stories)

LOVE <3

~starlitskies