Chapter 6

Moonlight

If there was one thing Hakyeon couldn’t stand, it was unanswered questions. The vampires had returned to their own personal, out of the way shipping container, but he still couldn’t stop the thoughts from plaguing his mind. He had so many questions for them, the least of which involved Jaejoong and his oddly unnerving ability. He wasn’t entirely sure if it was true or not, but he knew enough about vampires to know some of them had uncanny and terrible abilities. It wouldn’t have surprised him if one turned up who could see into the future. He just wondered if any of the other vampires in his coven had abilities too.

I’ll bet Taekwoon does, Hakyeon thought to himself, sharpening the silver tip of his stake as he sat on the couch back at the dilapidated cottage. The slayer clan was scattered inside and outside it, some already fast asleep. Doojoon was pacing around the rooms, making sure everyone was settled before rolling out a bedroll and flopping heavily onto it. He was dead to the world in half a second.

As Hakyeon continued to file away at the tip, rendering it sharp enough to easily pierce the flesh of any vampire he chose to destroy, his mind wandered back to Taekwoon. He’d seen the way those golden eyes had been staring at him. The hunger was so obvious, Hakyeon had felt his heart stammer and skip. Taekwoon had turned his back on him, but it didn’t change anything. Hakyeon obviously smelled delectable to the vampire. He didn’t quite know how he felt about that. The only thing he was glad about was that he had no desire to blindly approach Taekwoon. Not like he’d wanted to approach Jaejoong. Make no mistake, he was a mere moment away from moving towards the golden eyed vampire, but not out of an enchantment. He was glad Jaejoong seemed to be the only one with an enchanting appearance.

The couch sagged beside him, startling him from his thoughts. He turned and smiled softly at the sight of Hongbin folding his arms around his knees as he pulled them up to his chest.

“Hi,” he said calmly.

“How are you feeling?” Hakyeon asked.

Hongbin merely shrugged. “Okay. As okay as I can be at least, knowing a vampire is going to target me,”

“He won’t touch you,” Hakyeon said, laying a hand on his shoulder. “Sanghyuk and I will protect you. That vampire won’t get anywhere near you,”

Hongbin nodded slowly. “Okay,”

“Besides, if Jaejoong is right, and he can see the future, then his being here will protect you too. You and Hyunseung,”

He nodded again. “I don’t know how we can trust a vampire’s word though. What if they’re working with that vampire’s master? What if they’re selling us out?”

“Yoochun and Junsu said it themselves that...Jaejoong was kidnapped by a vampire. The one we have captive said he escaped, and that his master is looking for him. I don’t think they’re in league with each other,”

Hongbin nodded once more, more sure of himself this time. “Yeah, you’re right,” he smiled, his dimples emerging on his cheeks like a flower opening its petals. “Thanks, Hakyeon,”

“You’re welcome. Go get some rest, okay?”

Hongbin nodded and smiled again, standing up and heading for the stairs. He took them two at a time, the fear having left him altogether. Hakyeon often admired the young boy. He was stronger than most, and he had always worked the hardest. Despite his delicate looks, Hongbin was a warrior, and he would keep fighting right up to the end. That was the one certainty Hakyeon believed in.

 

...

 

It was hot inside the shipping crate. Wonshik was lying flat on his back on the floor with his eyes closed. Jaehwan was much the same, although he was leaning up against the back wall his knees curled up this chest. His silver eyes gazed at nothing; the vampire was lost in his own world.

Taekwoon was the only one even remotely active besides Jaejoong himself. The elder vampire was chewing on the end of his thumb, the only sign he was pondering over things that were concerning him. Jaejoong wanted to comfort him, he really did, but at this point, there was nothing more he could say. He thought about the brief flash of the future he’d seen while they were being introduced to Hakyeon. He tried to fish it back up again, but found he couldn’t, only receiving blurry images and confused feelings in return. He’d missed his chance to see it. Somehow, that irritated him. The only thing he knew for certain was that it involved Hakyeon. Taekwoon’s future had Hakyeon in it.

The sweet, tangy scent of Yoochun met his nostrils, making him look towards the crate entrance. His friend beckoned him over, smiling a little too brightly.

“Did you sleep?” Jaejoong asked, approaching. “I told you to rest,”

“I can’t sleep,” Yoochun confessed. “It’s been five years, Jae. Let’s take a walk. I want to share stories,”

Without waiting for Taekwoon’s approval, he nodded and slid his hood up. “We’ll walk in the woods though. There’s still too much sun,”

“I can handle that,” Yoochun said, nodding.

Feeling Taekwoon’s intense, burning gaze on his back, Jaejoong slid from the crate and quick stepped towards the woods, whipping through the patch of sunlight faster than any mortal human could. He tucked himself into the bush, hearing Yoochun laughing as he jogged after him.

“You’re so fast!” He chortled when he finally caught up.

“Suddenly a vampire’s speed is amusing to you?” Jaejoong raised an eyebrow, lowering his hood now that he was in the shelter of the woods. The light that filtered through the trees was far less intense, though it still made his skin tingle. It was the closest thing he could get to the blissful feeling of sunlight warmed skin only mortals could experience. Jaejoong relished every second, though at times, it made his skin itch.

Yoochun fell into step beside him, still smiling. “It’s only amusing because it’s you,” he explained. “Sometimes I can’t help but think this whole vampire thing really suits you, and I know that’s wrong,”

Jaejoong took a breath and wished he hadn’t. Yoochun’s smell was everywhere...

“So a cursed, immortal body suits me better than my human one?” Jaejoong questioned, his voice coming out more than a little flat as he half held his breath as he spoke.

“Honest to god, Jae,” Yoochun said, scratching the back of his head, more of his scent fluttering around at the movement. “You were handsome to begin with. All the female slayers in our clan flocked to you, even some of the men,”

“I know,” Jaejoong turned his head, focusing on an animal tucked inside a tree, its tiny body trembling. He could hear the faint sound of its heart, like an out of control metronome; tickticktickticktick...

“Now, you’re just...” Yoochun trailed off.

Jaejoong turned back towards him, wishing he hadn’t. Yoochun was watching him, his brow furrowed. A moment later, his facial features relaxed as he smiled softly. Jaejoong wasn’t stupid. His visuals were enchanting his best friend. He hated it, especially considering the sound of Yoochun’s heartbeat was starting to ingrain itself in his mind.

“Yoochun,” Jaejoong growled, snapping him out of it. “I’m not the only vampire attractive enough to blank your mind. Control yourself,”

“S-Sorry,” Yoochun stammered, looking away.

“Your guard’s down only because I’m an old friend,” Jaejoong stopped, crossing his arms and turning towards him. “If I were any other vampire you wouldn’t have even given them a chance to try to enchant you. And I didn’t even have to try,”

Yoochun gulped and nodded. “Right...I’m sorry,”

“There are more vampires like me,” Jaejoong went on, “ones with appearances that are beyond beautiful. It’s a common ability, and it’s dangerous. You need to block your mind to it,”

“But it’s you, Jae,” Yoochun smiled faintly. “I can let my guard down around you because you’d never hurt me,” he smiled, his eyes taking on the misty complexion of an enthralled mortal.

“You don’t know me, Chunnie,” Jaejoong breathed, the sweet smell of his best friend overtaking him once more. “You don’t know me...” He took a step backwards.

Yoochun stepped towards him. “Are you thirsty...?” He asked.

“Yoochun, stay back!”

“I don’t want to,”

Yoochun!

“Jae,” Yoochun smiled warmly, his eyes crinkling just slightly. “It’s okay,”

“It damn well isn’t!” Jaejoong growled, his back pressed against a tree. “Stop this right now before I kill you!”

“I trust you,”

“I don’t trust myself!”

Tilting his head to the side, Yoochun smiled again. Jaejoong saw the glint of a pocket knife in his hand. “You won’t bite me,” he said. “You don’t have to. I can just cut myself,”

“Don’t you dare,” Jaejoong rasped.

“Maybe I want to,” Yoochun confessed the knife glittering over his wrist. “Because you’re my friend,”

“Please don’t,” Jaejoong begged. “Chunnie, please...I don’t want your blood,”

“I just want to help you, Jae,” Yoochun pressed the steel into his wrist. “Can’t I help a friend? I don’t want to watch you suffer,”

“Chun...” Jaejoong’s eyes were focused on the blade pressing against his friend’s wrist. His mouth ran dry at the thought of the sweet blood flowing beneath Yoochun’s skin. In his mind, he saw it spilling out of his wrist and oh god how sweet it was. Stopping? He didn’t want to stop. Yoochun tasted like beautiful candy and suddenly, his lifeless body was on the ground in front of him.

With a shuddering gasp, Jaejoong was yanked back to the present. He grabbed Yoochun and yanked the arm holding his knife away from his wrist.

Don’t you ing dare, Yoochun,” he snarled.

Startled, Yoochun blinked at him, trembling slightly as Jaejoong’s hand gripped his wrist tightly.

“What am...what did I do?” Yoochun whispered.

“Don’t you ever let your guard down around me,” Jaejoong’s anger twisted his beautiful face into something so terrible, Yoochun began to cower beneath him. “I would’ve killed, you Yoochun! I would’ve killed you!

“Why?” Yoochun questioned, looking hurt. “You’re my friend! How could you have killed me?!”

“Do you even understand what it feels like to crave something that keeps a human alive?” Jaejoong asked, his tone laced with fear. “Yoochun, I want nothing more than to bite you and every last drop of blood from your body. You smell like those damned candies we used to eat as kids, the ones we could never say ‘no’ to. If I tasted even a drop of your blood I would tear you apart, do you understand that?”

“O-Oh...” Yoochun rasped. “I...”

“I have no control,” Jaejoong whispered. “Being a vampire isn’t some pretty little story. We didn’t hunt them as slayers for nothing. I’m a monster. I want to kill you. The only reason I’m not is because you’re my friend and at the very least I have some sentiment towards you. But one drop of blood and that’s all out the window. I won’t care until you’re dead on the ground in front of me,”

“Y...You saw...?” Yoochun’s breath was shaking. “The future?”

Jaejoong nodded. “I killed you, Yoochun. And I enjoyed every second of it,”

Swallowing, Yoochun tugged his wrist away from Jaejoong, rubbing the abused skin. “Oh,” he managed to get out.

“Go back to the cottage and rest,” Jaejoong half ordered, gently pushing his friend away from him. “Please. And next time, don’t let yourself get enchanted by me,”

Letting out a slight laugh, Yoochun nodded and began walking away, the slightest of trembles in his step. Jaejoong didn’t move until the sound of his heartbeat had disappeared. He fell to the ground and buried his face in his arms, his shoulders shaking violently.

 

...

 

Taekwoon was mere seconds from stepping out of the crate and hunting down Yoochun when Jaejoong slipped out of the woods. Letting out a heavy, furious sigh, Taekwoon stared at the younger vampire as he approached in the growing twilight, his arms crossed over his chest.

“I thought he killed you,” Taekwoon growled when he was climbing back into the box.

“No,” Jaejoong said numbly. “I almost killed him,”

Wonshik and Jaehwan snapped their heads towards him, their brows furrowed in concern.

“Wait, you didn’t...bite him did you?” Wonshik asked.

Jaejoong shook his head. “He almost cut his wrist for me. I didn’t even do anything; he was just going to do it,”

“...Are you serious?” Wonshik’s mouth was hanging open slightly.

Jaejoong nodded. “I just...had to hang back for a while after sending him back to the cottage. Sorry for worrying you,”

Taekwoon uncrossed his arms, forcing himself to relax. “I almost went looking for Yoochun,”

“I figured as much,” Jaejoong smiled weakly. “The sun was setting. I figured I should get back before Yunho arrives,”

“When will he arrive?” Taekwoon asked.

“Later tonight,” Jaejoong said. “Just not yet. We have a few more hours to get ready,”

“You know if you just tell us what’s going to happen we can do something more to help,” Taekwoon said.

“I couldn’t tell you if I tried. Everything’s...really blurry. There are so many things that could happen, I’m not sure which is the right one. I just hope it comes clear soon,”

Taekwoon opened his mouth to respond when Hakyeon’s spicy scent slid into the crate. Taekwoon stiffened, turning his gaze towards the slayer as he looked up at them, his allies standing a few feet behind him, their eyes sharp and demanding as their skin glowed orange in the fading sunlight. Hyunseung’s silver rod glinted brightest of all as he tossed it from hand to hand, as though itching to impale his next vampire.

“Coming out soon?” Hakyeon asked.

Taekwoon just nodded numbly, pulling up the hood of his cloak once more and stepping out of the crate. Jaejoong, Wonshik and Jaehwan followed him silently. None of them said anything as they approached the band of slayers.

“When’s he coming?” Doojoon immediately asked, his eyes turning to Jaejoong.

“When the sun’s down more,” Jaejoong replied. “It’s still barely dark enough for us to be out here, let alone Yunho,”

Taekwoon couldn’t help but silently agree. The last few rays of the sun were hurting his eyes.

“We’re stupid for doing it,” Doojoon said stiffly, “but we’re trusting you right now. I hope you know that,”

“I won’t let you down,”

As the last of the light continued to fade, the quiet ambience of the night began to take over. Taekwoon allowed himself to breathe, trying to focus on the scents of the trees and plants more than the ones wafting off the group of slayers. He began to understand just why Jaejoong had suggested they feed the night before. If he hadn’t fed, he’d be going more than a little mad right now. He probably would’ve begun to cave by now, starting to sing so he could lull the slayers into a false sense of security so he could feed.

Jaejoong stood off to the side, standing stock still as he stared at the woods. The night wind barely ruffled his hair, and nobody dared approach him. Doojoon already tried and was met with silence.

Taekwoon had just begun to relax, watching the stars when Jaejoong’s voice cut through the silence.
“He’s here!”

Instantly, there was a shuffling and rustling as the slayers began to heft their weapons. Taekwoon took a breath and shuddered, smelling the scents of vampires slowly surrounding them. He smelled their hesitation and worry. After all, there shouldn’t have been vampires among the slayers.

The attack came swiftly. The vampires flung themselves from the bushes, their fangs bared as they rushed towards the slayers. Taekwoon didn’t want to help the slayers in the slightest, but he found himself jumping between Hakyeon and a vampire, tearing out the heart before it had a chance to hurt him. Crushing the dead organ in his hand, Taekwoon glanced over at Hakyeon, taking in his wide eyes and parted lips. Taekwoon didn’t blame him. After all, he’d just had his life saved by a vampire.

Wonshik and Jaehwan were taking advantage of their speed. They rushed wherever help was needed and acted as a distraction while the slayers pierced their brothers and sisters one by one. Jaejoong...terrified Taekwoon. He had the skill of a slayer with the strength of a vampire. Not only did he stake the hearts of the vampire army, he ripped their chests open. Fires were lit one by one as the paralyzed bodies of the vampires began to burn, the lifeless flesh catching like tinder. Some of them even screamed.

And suddenly, Jaejoong stopped, his leaf green eyes clouding over as he stumbled to a stop. He swayed, his head tilting to the side, lips parted as visions of the future rushed into his head. Taekwoon rarely saw this side to Jaejoong. When he did, he always grew concerned.

“Jaejoong,” Taekwoon rushed to his side, clapping a hand onto his shoulder to steady him. “What do you see?”

Jaejoong’s head continued to tilt, and suddenly, his blank eyes snapping to attention again with a rapid blink.

“Jae-” Taekwoon began, but was immediately cut off.

“HONGBIN!” Jaejoong shouted, immediately breaking into a run. Taekwoon staggered, and a moment later he saw the dark blur emerge from the edge of the woods. Hongbin turned towards Jaejoong’s shout too late. Raising his arm to protect himself, the vampire slammed viciously into him. His scream cut through the air, and Hyunseung immediately swung his silver rod towards the vampire with a shout. The vampire stopped his attack with a quick hand, gripping his wrist tightly. Hyunseung let out a terrified cry, struggling against the vampire. As Taekwoon began to run towards the dark haired vampire, he heard the cold whisper.

“So pretty...”

“NO!” Jaejoong shouted, grabbing Hyunseung’s fallen silver rod and swinging it roughly towards the vampire. It caught him violently in the side of the face, making the skin sizzle and burn. Collapsing at the vampire’s feet, Jaejoong’s hands were seared and chafed, the skin peeling from broken blisters.

The vampire’s hands grabbed Jaejoong’s wrists, dragging him up onto his knees. His cold smile was terrible, and Jaejoong whimpered in his grip.

“Jaejoong...I’ve missed you,” the vampire breathed. “Time to go home,”

“JAEJOONG!” Taekwoon shouted, reaching for him.

The vampire flashed Taekwoon a cold grin, then yanked Jaejoong over his shoulder and began to run. In an attempt to pursue, Taekwoon rerouted himself, his feet slamming into the dirt.

“NO! TAEKWOON!” Jaejoong shouted. “GO BACK! USE THE ONE YOU HAVE!”

Taekwoon skidded to a stop just before a vampire leapt out of the bushes in front of him. He barely had time to plunge his hand into the vampire’s chest and crush her heart before it got him. By the time he’d thrown the body aside, Jaejoong was gone.

.

.

.

A/N: Yes. You just heard the sound of the hitting the fan. The true plot begins next chapter. Look forward to it~

Thanks for reading <3

~starlitskies