Chapter 5

Moonlight

“They don’t trust us,” Jaejoong said as he ducked into one of many empty shipping crates in the train yard. The sun was beginning to rise, as it had taken the rest of the night to even get the slayers to listen to him properly.

“I can’t believe it,” Taekwoon snarled. “I can’t ing believe you led us to a bunch of slayers. What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I wouldn’t have done it if I knew they would kill us,” Jaejoong argued. “They don’t trust us, but I managed to say enough that they’ll tolerate us. Tonight, when Yunho attacks...that’s our chance to prove ourselves. After that, they will trust us,”

“I don’t want their goddamned trust!” Taekwoon shouted, roughly shoving Jaejoong into the wall.

Jaejoong clapped his hand against the wall, steadying himself. “Too bad, because you’re going to need it,”

“Either you tell me right now what the hell you saw in your visions or I will personally take your goddamned life away from you and leave without a care,” Taekwoon’s tone was rough and furious.

“Hear me out, Taekwoon,” Jaejoong said, not even flinching at the death threat. “Yunho is going to attack this place, and he will kill these slayers,”

“You missed the part where I should care,”

“I care, because Junsu and Yoochun are my friends,” Jaejoong went on. “I came to protect them. He’ll come after me instead, and he’ll try to take me away from here. If he does, you’ll need their help to find Yunho after that. Just...just listen, okay?”

“No,” Taekwoon growled, the front of Jaejoong’s shirt roughly enough to cause stitches to tear. “I don’t know who this Yunho is, but he’s not laying a hand on you,”

“Then save me,” Jaejoong smiled weakly.

“Taekwoon,” Wonshik’s voice emerged from the deathly quiet of the shipping crate. “Let him go,”

Staring sharply at Jaejoong for another few seconds, Taekwoon released his shirt and took a step back, gritting his teeth.

“Why is he going after you?” Jaehwan questioned. “Why would he even bother?”

Jaejoong shrugged. “I don’t know,” he lied. He knew exactly why Yunho wanted him.

“Don’t bull me,” Taekwoon growled. “Don’t tell me you don’t have an answer when for the last five years, you’ve had them all,” he marched towards Jaejoong, forcing him back into the wall once again. “You know, don’t li-”

“We’re not interrupting anything, are we...?”

Jaejoong couldn’t hold in a shiver as Taekwoon backed away from him, turning his golden gaze on the two slayers who had just arrived. Yoochun stood beside a round faced young man with a thick fringe of tousled dark brown hair. The two slayers watched from the shadows just outside the shipping crate, their stakes clutched in their hands.

“If you take one step into this box, I will rip your throats out,” Taekwoon snarled. Jaejoong had no doubt he would carry out that promise. Wonshik reached over to calm the furious elder down, worry creasing his brow. Jaejoong slid from the wall and approached the two slayers cautiously. Yoochun stood his ground, but the other took several steady steps backwards so he was standing in the sun, his eyes darting between the vampires in an almost panicked manner. Jaejoong could hear his racing heart and smell his fear. But more than that, he could smell the signs of enchantment. He was fighting it tooth and nail, but Jaejoong already knew he could have the slayer on his knees in front of him with a single push.

“This is Hakyeon,” Yoochun said, gesturing to the boy.

Jaejoong nodded, offering slight greeting as Taekwoon stepped up beside him to observe the new slayers. Hakyeon’s eyes met his golden ones and a moment later, he’d stiffened, swallowing nervously.

“Ugh...” Taekwoon mumbled under his breath, taking a few shaky steps backwards, turning away from the slayer. Jaejoong snuck a glance back at him, recognizing the signs of thirst. His mind tried to flash him an image of the future, but he quickly pushed it away, turning back to Yoochun. He didn’t want to know what sort of future was in store for Taekwoon at the moment.

“He’s taken care of me and Junsu for the last few years,” Yoochun explained. “He’s a good friend,”

“Thank you for taking care of them, Hakyeon,” Jaejoong said, smiling slightly.

“Yeah, sure,” Hakyeon’s voice was surprisingly steady considering how fast his heart was beating.

“We were going to interrogate that vampire Doojoon’s clan caught again,” Yoochun said, scratching the back of his head. “So it might get noisy,”

Jaehwan stood behind Jaejoong, tilting his head to the side curiously. “Interrogate? What are you going to do?”

“Torture, probably,” Wonshik mumbled.

“It won’t work,” Jaejoong said immediately. “He’s too loyal,”

“Well then Hyunseung is going to enjoy himself today,” Hakyeon mumbled.

Yoochun offered a slight smile. “We aren’t going to try to find out where his master is today,” he said. “We just want to find his weakness,”

“It’s the same as every vampire,” Jaejoong said, crossing his arms. “Stab him through the heart and set him on fire,”

“Yah, Jaejoong!” Jaehwan whined. “Are you trying to kill us?”

“It’s common knowledge,” Jaejoong sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“At the very least, we want to find a way to bait a trap,” Yoochun went on, smiling weakly. “You were always good at guessing, Jae. What do you think would work?”

“Nothing will. You won’t catch him,”

Yoochun frowned slightly. “You...really think that?”

Jaejoong nodded. “As for the vampire you have tied up in there, keep him tied up. He’ll talk, just not now,”

Hakyeon’s arms were crossed across his chest. “How do you know all this?”

“I just kn-”

“He can see the future,” Jaehwan said, patting him on the shoulder. “Fancy, huh?”

Jaejoong let out a heavy sigh, irritated that his younger had revealed his ability so casually.

“Are you serious?” Yoochun rasped. “I always thought you were good at guessing events but...this? How can-”

“I couldn’t see the future,” Jaejoong said. “It was just that. I was good at putting two and two together and finding the most likely outcome. That...ability strengthened when I changed,”

“Then...you know what’s going to happen in tonight’s attack,” Yoochun said, his eyes lighting up. “Tell us so we can be prepared!”

Jaejoong shook his head. “I’ve told you all I can. The rest of it...needs to happen as it happens,”

Yoochun frowned. “What’s going to happen?”

“Everything will work out okay. I promise,”

Taekwoon scoffed. “I don’t trust that one bit, Jaejoong,”

“Well you’re going to have to!” He snapped.

“I shouldn’t have even trusted you in the first place!”

“TAEKWOON,” Wonshik shouted, his voice loud and commanding. “Please!”

“Shut up, Wonshik!”

“No!” The snowy haired vampire stamped his foot hard enough to dent the metal floor of the container. “Jaejoong has never steered us wrong before! Isn’t it obvious? He chose this! He wants it to be like this!”

Taekwoon’s golden eyes snapped towards Jaejoong once more, his stare more than simply accusing.

“If he says things will be okay, then things will be okay,” Wonshik said with certainty, nodding. “I don’t like it either. But you know as well as I do that Jaejoong sees things in ways we can’t,”

“Then tell me, Jaejoong,” Taekwoon growled. “If you don’t use yourself as bait, what will happen?”

Jaejoong could feel Hakyeon and Yoochun’s eyes as he pieced his answer together. He could hear their hearts beating, smell the blood rushing through them. Hakyeon smelled spicy, like a fresh pot of curry. Yoochun smelled sweet...like sweet peaches...

He shook off the urge and looked up at Taekwoon once more. “Two more humans will get bitten and taken prisoner by Yunho,”

“Who?” Yoochun asked. “Two from our clans?”

Jaejoong nodded.

Hakyeon exchanged a nervous glance with Yoochun, biting his lip.

“Who?” Hakyeon asked, the worry not leaving his face.

“I don’t know their names,” Jaejoong said, shrugging. “If I did, I would tell you,”

“I’ll...see if they want to meet you,” Hakyeon said, biting his lips and backing away. “Maybe...” he turned and headed off for another crate, his quick, heavy footsteps the only thing telling Jaejoong where he was.

“Well,” Yoochun said, smiling faintly. “You got Hakyeon’s attention,”

“Apparently,” Jaejoong stepped to the edge of the shipping crate and sat down, dangling his legs over the side, the shadow of the crate protecting him from the sunlight. He squinted against the light reflecting off the woods, looking down at his old friend. “He seems to really care,”

Yoochun nodded. “He protects us like a mother. He almost killed us when Junsu and I first met him because he was trying to protect Hongbin and Sanghyuk. He didn’t know whether to trust us or not. I’m just glad he did,”

Jaejoong nodded. “I’m glad you found a place. That was...one of the things I was most worried about,”

“Couldn’t you just see our future and know we were going to be okay?”

“It’s not always like that,” Jaejoong confessed. “Most of the time it’s only my future I can see. It takes a lot more effort to see someone else’s future, and even then I have to be looking at the person to be able to do it. Most of the time, it doesn’t show me images, just feelings,”

“So...what’s my future?” Yoochun asked, grinning.

“Some other time. It doesn’t work as well during the day. The only time it does is when my life is in danger or something important is going to happen. Besides, your friend is coming back,” he gestured to Hakyeon who was making his way back over to them.

Yoochun turned towards him and smiled slightly, turning back towards Jaejoong a moment later. Their eyes met, and in half an instant, Jaejoong was nearly overwhelmed by the urge to enchant and jump his friend. He snapped his gaze away and held his breath, fighting his inner monster.

“Doojoon wants to meet you,” Hakyeon said calmly, folding his arms as he came to a stop.

Jaejoong nodded and stood, reaching for his cloak tucked in the back corner of the crate. Taekwoon slammed his foot down on it and stared, his expression intense as always.

“You’re not going alone,” he said.

Jaejoong just nodded and slid his cloak out from under his elder’s foot. He draped it around his shoulders and pulled up the hood, tucking his hands into the sleeves.

“Wonshik, Jaehwan, you’re both staying here,” Taekwoon ordered.

“Like hell!” Jaehwan was already putting on his cloak.

Wonshik rolled his eyes and scooped up his own cloak. “You’re not leaving me in here alone,”

“At least the crate is big?” Yoochun joked calmly, glancing at Hakyeon who replied with a mere shrug.

“Watch out for Hyunseung,” Hakyeon warned as Jaejoong slid from the crate, his head bowed against the light. “He’s not too happy about vampires coming to hang out. I expect he’ll be less happy to end up in a box with you four,”

“He’s going to have to deal with it,” Jaejoong muttered, glancing up at his coven mates to see them stepping out of the shipping crate. “Taekwoon will kill him if he even so much as tries to hurt us,”

Hakyeon cracked a slight smile, glancing nervously over at the golden eyed vampire.

“Sounds like someone I know,” Yoochun grinned, elbowing Hakyeon.

“Shut up, Yoochun,” came the reply.

“Anyway, it’s over here,” Yoochun trotted into the sunlight, showing them the crate they were keeping the vampire in.

“I saw it last night,” Jaejoong said, and with a quick step, he rushed through the scorching hot sun, feeling his skin tingle as the warmth reached through the hooded cloak. It flapped out behind him and fell to rest as he skidded to a stop in front of the other crate. Instantly, he choked on the smell of burnt flesh and blood. He clapped a hand over his mouth and gagged, bending over and gripping his knees, squeezing his eyes shut.

“Jaejoong wha—oh god,” Jaehwan swooned, his hand gripping Jaejoong’s shoulder painfully tight.

“What the hell are you doing in there?” Wonshik rasped, covering his nose with his sleeve.

Taekwoon was the only one unaffected. His eyebrow quirked at the smell for the briefest of moments before his face descended into the impassive mask Jaejoong knew too well. He liked to call it ‘Stone Heart Taekwoon’, because when the elder vampire took on this expression, nothing could move him. Not even the smell of a tortured vampire.

Taekwoon climbed into the crate first, pulling his hood down and staring calmly at each and every slayer in the crate. Jaejoong climbed in next, still holding his hand over his mouth and nose. His eyes immediately locked onto the source of the smell, seeing the all too familiar vampire sprawled eagle spread on a silver plated sheet of metal, chained to it by his wrists and ankles by more silver. The burns riddling his flesh were terrible and slow to heal. He could see the black spot where a silver rod had pierced his chest.

“Holy ,” Wonshik rasped, still holding the sleeve of the cloak over his face, squinting at the sight as though it was burning his eyes just as much as the smell assaulted his nose.

Jaehwan ducked behind Taekwoon, his silver eyes barely peeking over his shoulder. Jaejoong could faintly see the hands gripping the back of the elders cloak trembling.

Turning towards the slayers, Jaejoong took in the faces he’d seen the night before, only this time, he allowed himself to scan them more thoroughly. He couldn’t help but focus on two of them more than the others; the two he’d see bitten in his visions.

The first was a boy with nut brown hair. Jaejoong learned his name was Hongbin, and he had to admit, he was...rather dashing. His cheeks were round and his jaw curved into his chin smoothly and naturally. His lips were perfectly pink and full, but the best part of his features however, in Jaejoong’s opinion, were the round, sweet and innocent eyes. Those eyes could do no harm. If Jaejoong didn’t already know he was a slayer, he would’ve assumed the young man wouldn’t hurt a fly.

The second was quite the opposite of the first. While Hongbin held an innocent and delicate beauty, Hyunseung was something else entirely. Every shape looked deliberate, strong and not in the least bit gentle, but it didn’t take away from his visual appeal. His cheekbones were high, his lips thin and round. His eyes were the shape of an almond sliver, the dark brown irises piercing and intense. Jaejoong had no doubt Hyunseung would strike a stunning figure as a vampire. He had the ‘danger’ vibe surrounding him already. He could only imagine how much that would multiply if he became eternal.

“Jaejoong, was it?” An older man said, his stake held in his fist.

Jaejoong nodded slowly, offering the slightest of bows.

“I’m Doojoon,” he greeted. “I’m the leader of five of these slayers,” he pointed them out, one by one, naming them off. Yoseob. Gikwang. Dongwoon. Junhyung. Hyunseung. Jaejoong committed them all to memory, knowing their futures now lied in his hands. He’d already seen all six die, along with Hakyeon’s team. He wouldn’t let it happen in front of him.

Stepping forward for a moment, Hakyeon pointed out the final two members of his team: Sanghyuk and Hongbin. In turn, without waiting for Taekwoon to give him permission, he named off the members of his coven. Golden eyes bored into the back of his head, but he forced himself not to care.

“Hakyeon tells me you saw the future,” Doojoon said calmly, his creased brow the only sign he was worried. “Who is this vampire going to target and why?”

“He’s after Changmin,” Jaejoong said instantly, then gestured to the still unconscious vampire chained to the table. “The one you have tied up. He’ll kill all of you to get him back, except two,”

“Will you quit twirling that thing?!” Wonshik hissed, staring at Hyunseung who was twirling the silver rod like a baton.

The dark haired man merely grinned crookedly. “Scares you?”

“Hyunseung,” Doojoon warned.

“Yeah, yeah,” Hyunseung dropped the end of the rod onto the floor and propped his hands up on the blunt end, swaying it from side to side.

“Go on, Jaejoong,”

“He’ll target Hongbin and Hyunseung,”

The rod clattered to the floor. “Like hell!” Hyunseung shouted.

“They should be fine,” Jaejoong explained, “you just have to protect them in the battle,”

Hongbin’s sweet face was pale. “Why me?” He rasped.

Jaejoong opened his mouth to answer, but a choking sound from the center of the crate announced the awakening of Changmin. The vampire let out a ragged laugh, his breath rasping in his throat.

“I told you,” Changmin said, “hyung loves pretty faces,”

“Shut the up!” Hyunseung shouted, picking up the silver rod again. “I didn’t tell you to speak!” He stabbed it roughly into Changmin’s shoulder, the agonized scream ripping through the shipping crate. Taekwoon keeled backwards, dragged down by Jaehwan’s iron grip on the back of his cloak as he cowered behind the elder. Regaining his balance, Taekwoon turned just enough so the younger vampire could bury his face in his hip, his shoulders trembling violently. Wonshik was by Jaehwan’s side in an instant, wrapping an arm around his shoulders.

Hyunseung withdrew the rod without remorse, shrugging his shoulders as he looked back towards Doojoon.

“Hyung will be so happy to see you, Jaejoong,” Changmin whispered, quietly enough so the slayers couldn’t hear him, but plenty loud enough for him to. “He’s been searching all over for you,”

“I don’t want to hear it,” Jaejoong breathed back.

Changmin let out a soft chuckle, his head falling limply to the side. He grimaced and let out a moan, squeezing his eyes shut.

“What do we do, Doojoon?” Hakyeon asked.

“What we can,” the leader replied. “We’ll rest up and prepare. If this thing’s master is coming tonight, we’ll need to be ready,”

“Hyung...” Changmin whispered dreamily. “Hyung...”

Hyunseung stared at the vampire, raising the rod once more.

“Don’t,” Doojoon, raised a hand towards Hyunseung. “Maybe a day of lying here will do him some good,”

“Of course,” Hyunseung growled, flipping the rod around and sliding it through notches on the back of his jacket like a sword. Jaejoong figured it must’ve been his favourite weapon. It didn’t surprise him. The silver rod would be beyond useful in a battle against vampires. He found himself getting irritated he’d never thought of it himself. Maybe, just maybe it would’ve changed the outcome of his fate, just a little.

.

.

.

A/N: Some new information for you! Haha (like you needed to memorize anymore – shed some more clarity on Jaejoong’s powers, and at this moment, you know everything you need to know about his precognition)

For those who don’t know (in case you don’t know) Hongbin is VIXX’s visual. I’m not sure if Hyunseung is the visual of BEAST, but in all honesty I do rather like his facial features. I find them really unique and interesting, so I chose him to be Yunho’s other target. (I just hope I did a good description of their faces! You can be the judge though~)

Thanks for reading this chapter~

Love!

~starlitskies