The Chef

Cost Of Its Worth

He took a deep sigh and blow out tension out of his lips as he started speaking his introduction.

“Sorry for speaking to you right away like that. I guess I was too excited.” He paused briefly and bit his lower lip. He smiled not showing his teeth and spoke while bowing, “Hello! I’m Andy.”

Junjin’s face twitched as he suppressed his laughter and I saw Dongwan awkwardly covering his mouth with the same reason. When Andy lifted his head, his face is already scarlet and kept looking on the floor. I didn’t know that someone with such good face will be as shy as he was.

“Stop being awkward Andy!” Junjin tapped his shoulder and to ease the gravity of my messed up memories, I voluntarily filled my lungs with confidence and talked to him.

“It is nice to meet you again Andy. I’m sorry I can’t respond right away. You’re right that I haven’t eaten anything yet. It’s so nice of you to offer dinner.” And I tried to smile back at him as natural as possible.

He slowly shifted his head and now looked at me again with a more relaxed expression. I felt better.

Dongwan needed to stay in the hospital so he can’t join us for dinner. Junjin escorted me and Andy to a restaurant which is just one block away from the hospital.

Andy was silent as he observes how Junjin handles the atmosphere with such ease. He will smile quietly from time to time when Junjin jokes around.

I hope the sheriff can stay for dinner too but even before we can open the restaurant’s door, his phone rang loudly. He excused himself to answer it and when he hanged up, he said he needed to go and check on something at the police station. He said he’ll be back right away.

Now, I’m left with Andy.

He opened the door before me and stood on the doorway beside me looking for a vacant seat. I just noticed him wearing knitted lavender pull-over with a white polo-shirt inside, and his outfit was completed by partnering it with denim pants and a minimalist styled sneaker shoes. I became hungrier when I noticed that it was him whom I smell all along. Now that we are standing up close, it’s more distinct that he has that scent of melted butter combined with that familiar stir fried meal. I needed to control my saliva from gathering like a pool inside my mouth so I tried to look away from him to shift the flow of that aroma.

The restaurant was well furnished with a shabby-chic concept. The chairs were all with different sizes and designs, only the tables are alike; black round four-legged ones. There were Christmas lights on the ceiling which appeared like a night full of stars and lamps hanging on each table provided as a private light for each customer. The ambience is so nice, its semi bistro concept blended well with the design. I liked it. If this place existed where I live at, I’ll be always here at least twice a week. I can already see myself visiting this restaurant, peacefully reading a book and indulging myself with an alone time kind of date.

 A waiter approached him and asked “Chef! Over here! I reserved the table that you requested.” The waiter said to him while smiling and pointing on a secluded area on the farthest left corner of the room beside a huge window.

Chef?! Did I hear him right? This shy young man standing beside me is a chef? My eyes opened widely as I try to comprehend what he just said and Andy seemed to notice me too.

“Kris, don’t look at me like that. You’re freaking me out.” He said again with his virile modulated voice stepping away a little bit, pronouncing his remarks as a joke and now smiling without the awkwardness.

“You’re a chef?!” I said again with disbelief but now he can hear me asking out loud.

“Yes, I am.” Still smiling at my reaction he gestured towards our reserved spot. I slowly walked and now I’m sitting with my eyes still fixed on him with a mental breakdown. How can someone, so young with a very charming face become a chef in this situation? I’m not stereotyping chefs but he can be on stage as a performer at his level of appearance. It does not make sense.

“What would you like to eat? Should I order for us? Or you do have something specific in mind?” he asked politely.

“It’ll be fine if you order for me. I’m not a picky eater, especially now that I am starving. I can eat anything.” I answered with full honesty. I am really hungry.

“Hahaha! Stop telling me you can eat anything. You’re allergic to chicken and kiwi. Nana will get mad at me if I feed you with those. Okay I’ll pick something good for you.” He stood with a smile in his face and went straight to the counter for specifics on our dish.

I looked at him while he explained it to the waiter. I heard him advising them to scramble the eggs on my dish and for the steak to be cooked medium-rare. He also asked them to remove the stir fried vegies on my meal since I don’t eat carrots, green peas and corn. He also advised them to remove ketchup or tomato sauce on my plate and just have gravy served. He then said his set to be the usual one.

He came back to our seat smiling at me like he did a good job.

Andy earned TWO POINTS without so much hassle. And I am still not allowed to ask how he knew all those facts about me. Nana is mean.

“I can’t be awkward. I want you to enjoy your dinner like how I planned for it and I am really happy to see you again too. Thank you for coming back. This dinner is my treat Kris.” Andy talked like a gentleman. No, not a gentleman – he is a real gentleman.

He has so much politeness in his bloodstream but his serious look surely has that scary side. I don’t know much about him but he is as warm as Junjin and Dongwan to me.

While waiting for our meal, he tried to call Junjin and asked where he is. He told him that he already lined up his meal too together with our order. I checked my watch and it’s just seven in the evening. It’s still early but why am I so tired already?

“It is summer but here, in Sylfaen, it is so unpredictable. There will be casual drizzles and sometimes the nights can be so cold. Did Nana advise you about it? You should have brought more jackets with you or scarves perhaps. You might catch a cold.” Andy said while he stare outside the window and breathe on its glass and drew a heart sign with his finger on the moisture. Cheesy – I thought to myself but looking at Andy doing it by himself, I think no one can complain.

Now that was why it’s been so cold during the travel. It is the same reason why I had a sleeping beauty kind of nap on the bus. I did not even notice the commotion going on when the engine broke. I can’t remember how it felt like to sleep like that for a very long time. And my body knew that I needed it, NO that I am craving for it. I’m a workaholic and I almost forgot to live like a normal person.

“I am someone who’s not as good as you when it comes to this area – cooking.” I told him since I am not a good cook myself. I am dependent to fast-food chains near my studio and instant noodles.

“Nana taught me at age of 10. I can remember myself going to your Villa every morning to learn from her. It was my first love.” He said with so much nostalgia in his eyes while you can see his face sorting out bits of memories in his head.

“I hope I can cook something too besides instant noodles or instant food. I’m tired eating those at home. Nana’s too old now. I cannot even ask her to teach me.” I told him my frustration like a very close friend.

“Oh, that’s why you were looking at me like that a while ago.” Andy said as he pointed at the door.

“Unfortunately, Yes. I feel bad about it. It is written on my bucket list. I want to learn how to cook good food before I have a family of my own. It’s hard to suffer later on.” I said to him with embarrassment.

“I’ll be happy to teach you some recipes while you stay here. How about that?” he said earnestly and stood up right away when the waiter called out and gave a sign that our order’s ready. I watched him took it from the waiter’s hand and delivered the mouth-watering plate in front of me.

He put some condiments on my plate before handing me the knife and fork and said “Would you be able to eat that alone? I think I should slice it for you.” And he withdraws giving them to me. He volunteered to work things out easier in favour of me.

He placed the sliced pieces nicely on the plate’s side as he scooped a generous amount of rice on my spoon. He seemed to be happy having a spoon feeding session. He will open his mouth the same time with me whenever he gives me a mouthful of food.

I tried to ask him to pause for a while so that he can also eat his dish but he insisted assisting me until I’m full. And with a few more slices of beef steak, it’s time for me to stop being an eating machine since my stomach’s already full.

“At last you’re recharged. You were so pale a while ago. I didn’t know you were that hungry. Hahaha.” He said while he handed me a white napkin to wipe off the gravy that spilled on my chin.

“Iced tea?” now he stood up from his seat before I can even say yes and let out a hiccup. He returned quickly with a glass b with it and let me drink without further questions.

He was about to start his own meal when Junjin came to our table and sat next to me.

“You look better now Kris! Andy, you did a good job! Aren’t you going to feed me too? My large intestine’s already digesting my small one. Please give me food as well.” He said with a childish voice and added a chuckle in the end.

Andy then stood up and went to the counter for Junjin’s food to get prepared. He returned with a blueberry cheesecake on his hands and placed it carefully in front of me.

His smile is as sweet as the dessert that he gave me. Junjin told me that the two of them were of the same age while he stared at my cake. Now I can tell where all this comfortable conversation is rooting from. They seemed to know each other like brothers too. Andy didn’t care to verify what Junjin preferred for dinner either. I wish I had friends like them too. Now that I look at it, I became too busy to think of investing in relationships as close as this.

The waiter called up and Junjin stood in a rush even before Andy could lift from his sit.

“I got this one.” He winked towards our direction.

“Don’t worry, I will do my best to finish up as fast as I can.” He said with such seriousness on his face and scooped a huge amount of rice and stuffed his mouth with a huge slice of meat. He almost choked but managed to recover immediately once Andy passed him the drink beside him.

Andy laughed at him like he already saw this coming.

“No pressure Junjin. You might have indigestion if you’ll hurry up like that! Besides, I still have a cheese cake to finish.” I told him so that he’ll take it easy.

“I thought we will be awkward together after a very long time. I’m glad you’re not that shy anymore. We are sure that you want to ask us a lot of things but Nana told you not to. HAHAHA! She’s still as mean as before.” Junjin told me and looked at Andy while laughing.

“Don’t rush as well. We will do things one by one with you. It will be an information overload if you take things in one blow. Patience, Kris.” Andy spoke like his giving me moral support.

I nodded to them both and swallowed a huge bite of my blueberry cheesecake. Andy earned his 3rd point now as I chewed it with delight and confusion.