The Doctor

Cost Of Its Worth

I tried to peek outside the window while am still dazed about what happened. The roads are a lot narrower than what I have thought. I can reach the other end with 20 steps; I think that’s why there are only few cars that I’ve seen. Parking lots are full of bicycles instead. I hate this.

“Kris! What happened to you?!” a man’s voice called behind my back with a higher pitch than Junjin. I’m sure it is not him.

I knew it as soon as I turned with an utter surprise only to see a good-looking man who is wearing a mint green doctor’s coat, steadily frowning at me like I did something very wrong.

“I’ve waited for you the whole day but I didn’t expect that you will be visiting me with a bleeding elbow. How did you get this?” he said as he held my elbow to examine it.

I am speechless. He knew my name even before he can see my face. He asked me to follow him to one of the rooms to suture my wound. Our silent footsteps echoed along the hospital’s sleeping hour. The white tiles were gleaming next to our shadows and each window showed how our reflection trailed with us along the way.

His scent of powdery rubbing alcohol left a trace while he walked to the nearby entrance. He asked me to sit near the operating table while he prepared his equipment. Looking at him from his back, he is a little bit shorter than Junjin but his built is not shabby at all. He has wide shoulders and a very slim waist line. It looks like he dedicates time to take care of his body too.

“Don’t worry; it will not hurt as much as you are thinking right now. I’ll give you an ointment for it not to scar too.” His calm and gentle voice felt like home. As he faced me with a mask on, I can see his smiling eyes with charismatic wrinkles on its side assuring me it will be okay. Indeed he is one of them.

While he was stitching my cut, I tried my best to endure and tolerate the pain. It is mind over matter. He did a fast job. In no time he was wrapping my right elbow with a bandage already.

“You’re still as strong as before huh. Ever since you were young you’re never a cry baby when it comes to this stuff. Our Kris, we missed you.” and again. I heard that “missing me” thought. I don’t even know his name. My eyebrow fused together without me knowing and he laughed at me. Yes, just the way Junjin did.

He knew that I don’t know him. No, I can’t remember him. He leaned closer and blurted all of a sudden,

“You don’t recognize this face? Or did I get too good looking as time passed? HAHAHA!” not knowing if it was a joke or not I didn’t laugh but I cannot object about him saying that he is good-looking. He is far more than that. His wrinkles are not a subject for any loss because it marked his unique facial expressions.

He noticed I didn’t get his phrase. He awkwardly smiled at me to bring back his momentum and introduced himself formally instead.

“Hello! My name is Dongwan” he paused trying to supress his laughter of embarrassment and continued “please call me Oppa (older brother in Korean) not Ahjussi (old man / uncle in Korean)” at this degree I laughed. He is aware that someone might address him that way but – I can’t. He does not look like an Ahjussi perhaps someone might immediately call him Oppa because up close, he is so totally good-looking, so delightful like your ideal college sunbae (senior). He can be mistaken for being a celebrity too. Well, even Junjin.

“You don’t remember this do you?” showing me a leather bag on his hand.

“No not the bag itself! This.” He pointed on an orange bag tag attached to it and it looks like there was a kid’s drawing inserted in it.

There were two stick people holding hands. There was a taller doodle of a boy with a stethoscope around his neck and a little girl beside him. Both of them were smiling and their free hands were waving.

“You drew the two of us before you went away. Cute isn’t it? I took care of it the whole time, and brought it everywhere I go so I won’t forget my promise to you. Too bad you can’t remember it”

I felt like crying. My brain swells with more questions filling it since day one. Who exactly are these people that Nana wants me to meet again. And by saying “again” why can’t I even remember them? Even the place where we had those memories? Why do I feel like I’ve known them my whole life yet this is the first time that I’ve met them – just now.

Dongwan saw my reaction. He immediately pulled something out of his pocket. I’m sure it is a handkerchief and I am not going to accept it. My tears are still resting on my eye sockets.

“Here’s a lollipop for you! You’ve been a good girl Kris! Here’s your award!” he held it near my mouth like a microphone and blinked twice like telling me to say something.

He’s good at this, messing up with emotional situations. He chased that awkward moment away with a simple flashing smile, his teeth are so white and perfect which made me thought of him as a perfect candidate for any dental care commercials.

“It’s apple flavour, your favourite one!”

That’s right. If there is any flavour that I liked the most of all candy flavours that would be the taste of apple. Unlike other kids, I loathed chocolate since I have sensitive teeth and it will hurt like hell for me. It is the only sweet candy that suited me, apple flavoured lollipops.

Dongwan just earned two points right now. I will surely have a long month but I think it’s worth it if it is all about rediscovering myself for a prize of completing this mission.

He opened it for me since I cannot use my right hand. He also did get the ointment that he talked about inside his black leather bag. It is a medium sized duffle bag full of medicine organizers inside. All of which are carefully labelled and the capsules and the tablets are separated according to its colours. He handed it to me and gave me instructions on how to use it effectively.

While he was in the middle of prescribing pain killers, he was interrupted with a knock on the door and I can hear Junjin’s voice calling outside if he can come in.

“Yes you may come in Jinnie we are almost done here. I’m just prescribing her meds.” Dongwan said with an assuring voice.

When the door swung open, Junjin’s already with another guy. He looked relatively younger than both of them. With a shy smile he made an eye contact with me and just moved his eyebrows up and down and spoke with a light voice.

“I thought it’ll be nice to offer you dinner after all of these Kris. You haven’t eaten anything yet right?” he has a nice well-modulated speaking voice. His offer was full of sincerity and I can feel the gentleness in his every word.

His hair was neatly raised up showing his forehead and had this remarkable charming smile of a good person. His eyes may not be double-eyelid but it is the focal point of his glance, his handsome youthful look makes me think of flower boys back in my city. He is somehow different in a huge stretch because I can’t see any trace of beauty product on his smooth baby like skin.

“Hey you better introduce yourself first. She does not remember us anymore. Time snatched all our memories with her.” Dongwan formed a sad face while saying this to the man standing next to Junjin.

Junjin then looked at him and nodded with approval. He hesitated for a while with the look of unbelief yet later on he noticed me staring at him as well, waiting for him to say something.