Start anew

It was never his fault

Hyuk nervously scanned the dorm’s frontroom for what was probably the thousandth time. Nothing. He couldn’t find any trace of his hyung anywhere. Drawing in a shaky breath he walked over to his bedroom and did the same check there. Still nothing. Feeling satisfied with his work the yongest went back to the front door where three big boxes stood waiting for him to take to the dorm’s storage room at the top of the building for safekeeping. Hyuk and the other three had spent the past two days going over every corner of their dorm trying to find every last item, carefully rolling the more fragile things in paper and old towles but they’d left the maknae to take care of the boxes, trusting that he’d be gentle with them. Reaching the entrance door where the boxes stood neatly stapled on top of each other he opened the shoe closet to grab a pair of slip-ons when something caught his eye. He carefully showed aside Jaehwan’s atrocious neongreen jogging shoes and saw a pair of golden winged sneakers.

”What do you think?” Wonshik’s excited voice rang from behind him, making the youngest turn around from where he was looking at a pair of loafers and stare. It was hard to miss what his hyung was referring too as he was constantly putting each foot forward, making a silly jump each time he switched foot tryig desperatly to show of the very golden sneakers that had taken his fancy.
”they’re…eeehm… Very you..?” He answered hesitaitngly. Wonshik immediatly stopped his bouncing and looked up at Hyuk.
”You don’t like them?” He sounded saddened by the idea, making Hyuk backtrack.
”No, no, no hyung! I like them fine!” He tried, waving his hands in front of himself. ”I guess I just… I was just… I had a hard time picturing what they’d go with. I mean, they’re so OUT there, you know?” Hyuk could here the hopefulness in his own voice as Wonshik looked at him searchingly before turning back to look at the shoes.
”I suppose you’re right…” Hyuk hated hearing the disappointment in his hyung’s voice. He watched as Wonshik started taking the shoes off. Wonshik always gave the impression of being a tough guy, especially with the maknae so it was easy to forget to genuinely sensitive the rapper actually was.

”Hyung, you should get them” Hyuk said firmly.
”No, no. You’re right.” Wonshik said. ”They’d just be standing in the shoe rack anyway.”
”You should get them, hyung” Wonshik looked up at him. ”We’re idols. If anyone cold get away with wearing them, it'd be us. We can wear what we want, call it cool and people will love it. Besides, who knows one day we might just have a concept that will demand a pair of winged golden shoes.” Hyuk smiled and his heart warmed at the sight of Wonshik’s excited smile.

Hyuk could still remember the other members' reactions when the two came home. Hakyeon had shaked his head and muttered something about a waste of money. Hongbin had laughed and called them ridiculous. Jaehwan had of course loved them and demanded that the rapper share. All the fuss had seemed to make Wonshik reget the purchase. That was until Taekwoon had placed an arm around Wonshik, giving the others a harsh glare and told the boy that he thought they were really cool and very him. The way he had said it had been much more believable than when Hyuk had said the same thing in the store and it seemed to make Wonshik happy. And Hyuk’s prediction had proven right. Wonshik had gotten use of them for a performance at one of the last Gayo’s he’d gotten to do, making the rapper incredibly smug. Seeing the shoes now caused Hyuk’s heart to clench painfully. Carefully he grabbed them, pulled them out and hugged them to his chest before taking a deep breath and placing them inside one of the boxes with all of Wonshik’s other belongings.  

 

When Hakyeon first told them that they needed to pack all of their lost member’s things Hyuk had been furious. He’d screamed at his hyung, thrown a pillow at him and stormed off into his room making sure to slam the door. He hadn’t missed the hurt look on his leader’s face or the shocked faces of Hongbin and Jaewhan. What they were shocked about, his behaviour or Hakyeon’s order, he did not know nor did he care. It had taken almost an hour before a knock had sounded at the door and Hakyeon’s voice quietly asking for entrance.

”Sanhyuk, can I come in?” Hyuk refused to answer, but a few seconds later he heard the door open as he lay on his mattress back facing the door. Hakyeon’s quiet steps grew closer and Hyuk could feel his blancket ruffle as the leader sat down next to him. ”Hyuk, what’s wrong?” He asked, placing a soft hand on the maknae’s arm. The younger shock the hand off and jerkily sat up.
”What’s wrong?” His voice was harsher than he had intended and he saw how it made Hakyeon flinch but he continued nonetheless. ”You want to pack up all of Wonshik’s things. Pack them up, throw them away and forget about him? I’m sorry, but I can’t do that.”
”It’s not like that, Sanh-”
”Then what is it like?” Hyuk interrupted, his voice now shaking as he tried to hold back tears. ”Why do we have to get rid of all his things? I don’t want to. I don’t want to forget him. I want him here, with us, where he belongs. But all we have is his stupid things and now you want to take them away too? It’s not fair!” As he finished speaking he could feel the first tear break free. Hakyeon put a gentle hand on his check, carefully wiping the tears away and this time the younger didn’t pull away.
”It’s not like that” He said again. ”We’re not throwing anything away. We’re simply placing them in storage for now until we’re ready to bring them back out.”
”But why…?” Hyuk hated how his words came out as a whine.
”Taekwoon’s coming back…” Hyuk’s eyes widened at the leader’s words and he started to cry harder his grief mixing with relief as he let the news wash over him.

That had been two days ago and how ever much it had hurt to pack all of Wonshik’s things it had nothing on the joy of getting one of his hyung’s back. He’d just have to remember Wonshik in his mind as he always did in his heart.

It had been three months since Taekwoon’s near drowning and the older had spent that time split between his parent’s house and the hospital for treatment and therapy. Three month’s of the member’s visiting, calling and writing the missing member daily. Attending singing lessons, dancing lessons and the occasional fanmeetings that had become even more important to them now. The fans were a strong support and happypill for them all. They’d make them laugh, think and occasionally cry from how much they did for them and how much they cared. The members had been the most touched and cried the hardest at the content of a letter they’d recived from Starlight’s all around the world. They’d come together and named a star after Wonshik, saying that they wanted a home for their lost member where he could always look down at them from.

Hyuk, like the other’s hadn’t felt much hope to ever get Taekwoon back until the night they’d comeback to the older’s hospital room to find him and Hongbin lying next to each other quietly talking while holding hands. Taekwoon had been talking. His parents had rushed up to his bed hugged him, cried and thanked and questioned Hongbin alternatively. But since that night, the members had simply been waiting and hoping. As had Taekwoon. Who after many arguments and fights with his family and therapist seemed to have finally convinced them that he was fit enough to be allowed back. Hakyeon had been first to find out about Taekwoon’s impending return as his friend had called him for help. He had asked that Hakyeon be there for when he had to talk to the company and ask to be allowed to return. From what Hakyeon had told them, it had been a hard conversation as the CEO and manager’s seemed hesitant and worried about their main vocal. They’d assured him that his place with the company and with VIXX was secure and that he should take his time with his recovery before re-entering the idol-life. It hadn’t been until Taekwoon had cried and begged them to let him back, saying that he needed to return to their version of normalcy or he’d go crazy that the represenatives had folded Under the condition that Taekwoon would let them know if and when it got to be too much for him. They were not going to take any chances this time.

 

Hyuk grabbed the first box and headed carried it to the elevator before returning to the dorm and doing the same with the remaining two boxes before hitting the button for the top floor of the building. After taking the boxes out of the elevator one by one he let the doors slip closed. Doing this still felt wrong for the young man, he understood why the oldest had asked him to do it, but he still couldn't quite come to terms with it. Taking another deep breath, his thoughts on Taekwoon-hyung he lifted the first box and made his way to their assigned storage room.

Feeling heavy hearted Hyuk made his way back down to the dorm a smile spreading across his lips as the sound of Jaehwan-hyung's happy voice and Hongbin-hyung's boisterous laugh filtered through the dorm from the kitchen. Quickly making his way over, excited voices greeted him.
"Hyuk-ah!" Jaehwan said skipping over to him and giving him a quicky hug. "You manage to bring all the boxes to the attic?" Hyuk simply nodded, still with a smile on his face as he watched Hongbin unpack the groceries the two had brought home.
Before leaving for Taekwoon's place Hakyeon had allocated them all with tasks.
Hyuk - take care of the boxes.
Jaehwan - go shopping.
Hongbin - make sure Jaehwan does the shopping.
They were to go alone as one of their managers had to go with Hakyeon and the other needed to go to a meeting at the hospital with Taekwoon's doctor for any last minute instructions. Hyuk had been able to tell how nervous Hakyeon had been about leaving the scatter minded Jaehwan in the hands of Hongbin, but the second youngest had given him a reassuring smile and told him not to worry.
"Do you need help unpacking, hyung?" Hyuk asked him now, Hongbin paused his unpacking of the vegeables to look at him.
"Could you perhaps take care of the meat and put it in the fridge?" He asked, Hyuk made his way to the bag without answering. Once they were done they threw all the empty bags in to the bag container before making their way to the sofa where they found Jaehwan perched on the armrest fiddling with his phone.
"They're on their way!" He notified them when he noticed their presense. Hyuk felt his heart skip a beat in his chest. They settled down next to Jaehwan and the TV. Hyuk suspected none of them where actually watching, but it kept them distracted and from having to talk to each other. He could feel the nerves in the room and he wished that the oldest two would just hurry up and get here.

About fifteen minutes later (sixteen minutes and thirty-seven seconds later to be exact, but who was counting?) the three boys were startled into standing as the frontdoor opened. Their manager was first to enter, closely followed by Hakyeon.
"Watch your step." They heard the leader say to the man following behind him. "There's shoes everywhere..." And then he entered. Taekwoon. As if he could feel the eyes on him, he quickly looked up at the boys who stood frozen by the sofa and gave them a shaky smile. Hyuk could tell he was just as nervous as they were. Hyuk tried to smile back. Taekwoon stood awkwardly by the door, as if unsure of what he should be doing or saying. Finally they saw him take a deep breath before opening his mouth.
"Hi kids..." His quiet voice broke Hyuk out of his position and he hurried over to his hyung and threw his arms around his neck. It took a few moments before Taekwoon reacted, still being somewhat awkward and uncomfortable with body contact, but then Hyuk felt arms snake around his waist and Taekwoon's face nussle into his shoulder.
"Welcome home, hyung." Hyuk whispered. "I've missed you"
"It's good to be home..." Taekwoon's muffled voice reached his ears and Hyuk gave a light chuckle, tightening his hold on the other. He then felt more arms going around him as three other bodies crashed in to them, joining the hug
"I've missed this, I've missed us..." He heard Jaewhan mumble.
"Things will be okay now, right?" Hongbin asked.
"I hope so..." Was the quiet respons from Hakyeon as the group broke apart, their manager standing by the door to his bedroom a fond smile stretching across his lips as he observed the group. Taekwoon's eyes where fixed on Hongbin.
"I promised, rght? Hongbin?" He said with a smile. The other three's eyes went between Hongbin and Taekwoon wondering what the second oldest was talking about as the two smiled at each other. It was a sad smile, a smile that held a thousand promises and fears, worries and reassurances. Hongbin nodded and gave the man another hug.

Hyuk knew it wouldn't be as easy as all that. They all did. But he knew that as long as they were together they'd get through it. They'd been given a chance to start again and he would never let them fail. He had always considered Wonshik as the glue that held VIXX together. He was the member that would listen to all of their woes and the member that would mediate any fight that occured. He was always the first one to congratulate the others to any and all success and he was always the first to show concern and love for s. As he stood there looking at his second family Hyuk thought of Wonshik and what he'd meant to all of them and he made a promise to his lost Hyung.
I'll be there for them like you were. I'll listen to them, I'll comfort them and I'll love them. I'll be what you need me to be, Wonshik-hyung. I love you.
He could picture the way Wonshik would've smiled and patted his back if he'd been here to hear him. He'd never missed the older more than he did at that moment.

 

 

 

Author's note:
I'm ever so sorry for the long wait. Life came in beetween and I just couldn't find the time or the inspiration to write this. I hope it wasn't too bad or boring :) I'll try and do better for the next chapter :)
Thank you for reading, feel free to drop a comment. They make me happy ^^