How to save a life

It was never his fault

Hakyeon was scared, there was no denying it. It had been an hour since Taekwoon had run out of the dorm, all the members scrambling to their feet to chase after him. He'd been too quick for them and they had soon lost track of the other. They'd decided to separate, figuring that they'd cover more ground that way and have a better chance of finding him. Hakyeon kept checking his phone for messages from the others as he aimlesly ran down nameless street after nameless street looking for any trace of his best friend. He stopped at the next intersection, desperatly looking around, unsure of which way to go. Who knew what Taekwoon was up to...
"Damn it, Taekwoon. Where the hell are you?" He mumbled to himself. "Please be okay..." He knew how guilty the other had felt. How responsible he felt for what had happened to Wonshik. Hakyeon had tried to talk to him about it, but everytime he tried to breach the subject the younger would claim he was fine or he would completely avoid any question by simply walking away."Lies..." He knew they were all lies. Taekwoon had not been fine since the accident that claimed his lover's life. They all knew what had happened, but no one knew how it had happened. No one apart from Taekwoon that is, and the young man refused to talk about it. But Hakyeon had heard the witness statements, had even seen the CCTV-footage of the accident. He'd seen how the truck had rammed into the side of Wonshik's car. He'd seen the car being flipped over several times only to be crashed in to by the truck a second time as the driver struggled to stop the massive vehicle. Wonshik had run a red-light, Hakyeon couldn't understand why. He couldn't understand why he would risk his life for anything and unless he found Taekwoon he might not ever find out either...
He stood there at the street corner, panting for breath. He really didn't know where to look next, his mind too confused and his thoughts too jumbled to make heads or tails of anything. They had been since he woke up to his phone ringing in 2 in the morning only to find out that , his precious dongsaeng had been killed. He looked up at the sky, he could feel the tears threatening to fall again.
"Wonshik.... Where is he?" Hakyeon begged of the heavens. "Where's Taekwoon? Why did you have to leave him?" He hadn't been expecting an answer, but he was dissapointed with the following silence nonetheless. Face still aimed towards the sky, he closed his eyes.
The first raindrop hit him on the bridge of his nose. Startled he opened his eyes and looked up at the sky only to be greeted by a wall of water coming his way. He blinked the water away, slightly shaking his head. He looked around once again, before slowly starting towards the side of the road. Headlight of a car hit him, the driver slammed on his breaks before angrily honking his horn. Hakyeon in his shock had fallen backwards roughly onto the ground, his elbow scraped and bleeding. Numbly he looked at the car as it started to gather up speed once more. Sitting on the ground a small pool of water collecting gathering by his feet, as he stared at it a memory started to rise in his mind.

"He confessed, Hakyeon!" Taekwoon's smile was the biggest Hakyeon had ever witnessed from the other. "He really confessed."" Hakyeon gave a very manly squeel in delight, before enthusiatically clapping his hands. He might even have jumped up and down, but if anyone ever pointed that out he'd vehemently deny it. Taekwoon slaped a hand across his mouth, a bit more harshly that required Hakyeon thought. "Shhhh, the others will hear." the younger whispered. Hakyeon understood why the secrecy was necessary. He was the only one who knew how the rapper and vocal felt for one another. He had figured it out by the less then descret gazes Wonshik had thrown after his hyung, he'd also seen how red Taekwoon's ears had gotten when he noticed Wonshik's eyes on him. After the boys feelings had been confirmed, through a lot of threats and neck-slices on Hakyeon's behalf, one could say that the leader had worked tirelessly towards getting the stubborn idiots to confess to one and other. It would seem all his efforts had finally paid off!
"Okay, okay! Hands off, mister!" He said as he shoved the other's hand away, before pulling him over to sit on the bed. "Now tell me EVERYthing. What did he say? Did he give you anything? Where did he do it?" Usually Taekwoon would roll his eyes and ignore the older but it would seem that he was as excited as Hakyeon for once, needing and wanting to tell someone. As Hakyeon was the only one who knew about his feelings for Wonshik, and begrudgingly he'd even admit to the older being his best friend (usually under great threat) he was the obvious choice.
"He was so corny about it." Taekwoon said, his ears turning red but the radiant smile never once left his face. "He gave me a red rose, saying that if he didn't confess now he'd hate himself forever... He said he'd loved me since the moment we met, from the moment he heard me sing. He said he could feel my heart when I sang and hear my soul in my voice." Hakyeon scoffed.
"Jeesh, were did he get that one?" He asked sarcasticaly, "A Mill's and Boon's novel?" Taekwoon just smiled and shook his head.
"Jealous?" He asked with a smirk.
"Very." Hakyeon admitted. "Now, go on!"
"He asked me if I would ever consider going on a date with him..." Taekwoon's voice trailed off. After a few minutes silence Hakyeon couldn't take it any more.
"AND?! What did you say? What did you do? You can't just leave a dude hanging here!" He reproachfully urged the younger on. To his surprise Taekwoon started blushing profusely and refused to look at his best friend.
"I kissed him..." He mumbled.
"You what?" Hakyeon very muched doubted he'd ever been so surprised. The stoic and reserved Taekwoon had initiated a kiss?
"I kissed him..?" He answered hesitatingly. Hakyeon stared at him like he was an alien.
"Where did this happen exactly?" Taekwoon looked at him confusedly, wondering why he'd ask so he decided to clarify. "I need to go to this place of mystery and wonder to look for my friend. You're obviously an alien impersonator and I need to find the actual Taekwoon.... We have a recording tomorrow..." Taekwoon just laughed.
"By the Han River, the embankment outside Mrs. Kwon's café."....

The memory started to fade, Hakyeon stil sitting on the side of the road. His heart was hammering in his chest. The rain was like a sign. He could still hear Taekwoon's voice as he sat there, the happiest he'd ever seen him "By the Han River, the embankment outside Mrs. Kwon's café". Hakyeon stumbled to his feet and started running while struggling to pull his phone out of his pocket, his fingers stiff from the cold. When he had finally, after a few agonising seconds managed to work it out of his pocket, he hit number 2 on speed dial. "You better be right about this, Wonshik-ah..." He thought as he anxiously waited for the call to connect. Jaehwan answered on the first ring.
"Hello?"
"Jaewhan-ah, I know where he is! Ring the others and get to Mrs. Kwon's shop." He hung up before Jaewhan had a chance to answer. The rain was still pouring down as he sped towards the Han River, praying that Taekwoon hadn't done anything stupid. The only sound he heard was the pounding of his heart in his ears and the slapping of his feet as they made contact with the wet ground. "Please, be okay. Please". He broke on to the road that ran alongside the river. He was so close now, he tried to scan the riverbank but the never ending rain made it nearly impossible. Afraid he'd miss him Hakyeon stopped, panting. He forced his eyes to focus, slowly moving across the landscape until a slight movement caught his eyes. He squinted and gasped when a man became visible in the weak light cast by the streetlamps about fivehundred meters infront of him, the shape was walking towards the water.
"TAEKWOON!" He screamed, knowing that it could be no one else. The hammering rain obscued his voice making it impossible for Taekwoon to hear, but he screamed anyway as he once again started to run. "TAEKWOON, DON'T! STOP! TAEKWOON!" He watched in horror as his friend walked straight into the murky waters of the river, his step never halting. He was too far away. He tried to push himself to go faster. He saw Taekwoon disappear underneath the surface and he gave a strangled cry. His eyes never once left the spot where he saw Taekwoon go under.
"HAKYEON-HYUNG!" He heard Hongbin's voice call out for him from off to his right, but he didn't look over, simply knowing that the other three had arrived. He reached the embankment and started ripping his shirt and shoes off. "Hyung, what are you doing, where's Taekwoon hyung?" Hongbin sounded scared and confused.
"Call an ambulance, Taekwoon's in the river..." Hakyeon said before he was once again off running towards the water. His lungs were on fire and the moment he reached the river he thought he was going to pass out. It was freezing. He kept going, clumsily stumbling his way forwad while the currents pulled at his feet. He realised that Taekwoon wouldn't be where he'd last seen him, the currents were much too strong. So without second guessing himself, only thinking of his friend, he threw himself into the water and began swimming downstream, all the while scanning the water for his friend. He looked back to the shore where his dongsaengs were running alongside him.
"I CAN'T SEE HIM!" He screamed helplessly. "HELP ME!" He saw as Hyuk and Jaewhan said something to Hongbin before tearing their eyes away from their leader and running ahead scanning the water from land, Hakyeon turned his gaze back to the water in front of him. It felt like a minor eternity but couldn't have been much more than a minute before he heard Hyuk's voice.
"HYUNG! THERE! HE'S OVER THERE!" He looked over at where Hyuk was pointing and saw what the maknae had seen. A body floating face down in the water. "NO!" He wasn't sure if he had just thought it or if actual sound had left his mouth, nor did he care. He swam towards his friend as fast as his body would allow him too and within seconds he reached him and turned him over. Taekwoon wasn't breathing. When he'd made sure he had a tight grip around his friend's torso he started swimming towards shore but soon realised the other boy was too heavy. Desperately he scanned his surroundings for something to grab on to.
"HYUNG! OVER HERE, HYUNG!" He looked over at where the voice had come from slightly downstream and saw Hyuk and Hongbin waving desperatly from the edge of a jetty. Thanking god he kicked as hard as he could, grasping Hongbin's outstreched hand when he reached the jetty before passing over Taekwoon to the maknae. Once Hongbin had made sure that Hakyeon had a stong enough hold to pull himself up he hurried over to Hyuk, who was greatly struggling with Taekwoon's weight. Together they managed to pull their hyung out of the freezing water and placed him gently on to the wooden surface. Exhausted Hakyeon crawled over to his lifeless friend as his dongsaengs started giving him CPR. Hakyeon helplessly looked around, wondering where Jaewhan had gotten too, only to see him jumping and waving up on the boardwalk as blue lights appeared ahead of him. Relieved Hakyeon looked back to his dongsaengs.
"The ambulance is here, Taekwoon." He mumbled. "You're going to be alright now..." His vision started to cloud over and the last thing he remembered seeing were the paramedics running towards Taekwoon and Hyuk's hands reaching out to Hakyeon himself. He saw his lips moving but no sound reached his ears as  the exhaustion claimed him.

 

Author's note:
So that's the first chapter. I've got the other ones outlined but not yet completely written out. I'm planning to have the second chapter up by Wednesday next week! Fingers crossed nothing happens until then ;) I'm in uni and it's a bit hectic at the moment!

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!

Thank you for reading :)