Phase I

Shards

A week after that incident, Krystal left. Using their family name, she was permitted to leave and graduate earlier than them.

Kyungsoo walked in the corridors of the school, feeling a bit gloomy about the last week's event. Jongin didn't go to school today. He had already asked his classmates and they said his parents called earlier to excuse him.

He walked in the cafeteria and saw his friends waiting for him on their special spot. Everyone envied him for being friends with the popular kids in school. Too bad he was not popular like them.

He slumped down on his favorite spot on the table and put out his lunch box. Yes he was bringing his own lunch since he doesn’t want to waste his money on the cafeteria food. He just stared at it. He didn't have the appetite to eat.

"Kyungie are you alright?" Baekhyun said making Kyungsoo jumped out of surprise. He scooted closer to him and patted his right shoulder.

"Yes I'm alright Baek." He said looking at Baekhyun and smiled. More like he forced a smile tugged on his lips. Baekhyun just nodded in response.

Luhan observed his friend's behavior and shook his head before opening his mouth to say something.

"I heard that Krystal is leaving. Is that true Kyung? Is that why Jongin was absent and you're in your foul mood today?" He said not even taking a break to take a breath. As expected from Luhan the talkative.

Kyungsoo just remained silent and lowered his head. Baekhyun hit Luhan on the head softly and Luhan just eyed him in response. They were arguing on how to comfort Kyungsoo.

"You know what Kyungsoo. Whatever it is you were feeling, it would be better if you tell us. It would help you lessen your problems. We were your friends after all so you shouldn't keep your thoughts with just yourself. We think it's unfair how you’re keeping secrets from us while we're so open to you. Don't ever be afraid on us." Baekhyun talked first. He lifted his friend's face to see Kyungsoo's expression.

"Right Kyung. Remember the time when I was feeling depressed because I thought Sehun was cheating on me? You were also telling me the same thing about telling your problems with your friends will somehow lift your burdens. Kyungsoo you must know that whatever it is you're hiding, we're still here for you no matter what. We’re true friends, right?" Luhan added as he put his arm on Kyungsoo's shoulder before hugging him tightly. Baekhyun soon followed.

Kyungsoo smiled sincerely. He felt lighter because of these guys.

"Thanks. You don't know how much I love you guys."

Baekhyun scoffed, "Ew that's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard from you and sorry I already got my Channie."

"Shut up Baek." Kyungsoo playfully hit him in the arm and laughed before going back to being serious. "I'm in love with Jongin for a very long time... And--"

"Yes we already know that." Baekhyun cut him off again.

"Hey let me fin-- Wait what?" Kyungsoo's eyes widened.

"You were too obvious, the way you looked at him duh" Luhan scoffed after talking. "But Jongin was as oblivious as a fool because he always had his eyes on that 'bestfriend' of yours." He quoted in the air at the word bestfriend.

He got it. They didn't like Krystal for not treating Kyungsoo as her bestfriend. She even didn't give a about him when she started dating Jongin. And now she hadn't said a word to him before she left. She didn't even tell him that today was her flight. It was like she forgot that he was her bestfriend. Well back to the topic.

"God that was embarrassing." He paused to take a deep breath. "Anyway they broke up... just last week in the library during the program." Kyungsoo deadpanned.

"WHAT!?" they both stood up with their mouth hanging open and eyes were wide as Kyungsoo's.

"Wait, wait. How come I didn't hear anything last week?" Luhan was confused. He was there the whole time Krystal and Jongin fought.

"It's because you were reading books and you had a habit of listening music on your earphones with the volume up high mister" Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at Luhan. How stupid can Luhan get? Was what was running on his head as he looked at Luhan.

"Oh, oh ehehe" Luhan put his hand on his chin and was slowly processing what Kyungsoo had just said. Suddenly he let out a loud embarrassed laugh while scratching the back of his head.

"Kyungsoo I know this sounds so y but don't you think it's time for you to you know take this as a chance for your own love life? Comfort Jongin and let him know that you're always there for him no matter what." Baekhyun suddenly suggested, his hand were on his hips.

Kyungsoo looked at his with eyes wide open. "It's absurd! I can't do that. He'll hate me for sure." He flailed his arms around him. It was uncharacteristic for someone like Kyungsoo to be panicky and sweaty, Do Kyungsoo who was always silent and sophisticated.

"I think Baek's right Kyungie. He didn't mean that you'll have to seduce him right away. Just do it slowly, show him your feelings but do not show too much." Luhan said and he high fived with Baekhyun.

"Yes! Right after class you should go and take him a visit."

They both giggled excitedly, trying to look so cute because their boyfriends have arrived. But to Kyungsoo, they just looked like two creepy pedo idiots wanting to molest some kid. Funny cause their boyfriends were younger than them.

Kyungsoo sighed and thought about what they had said. Maybe he should give it a try. There's no harm in trying, right?

-------

As what has been told to do. Kyungsoo, like the good obedient kid he was, went to Jongin's house to pay him a visit. They were actually neighbors. Like they're house were just next to each other.

Though it was not the first time since Jongin and Krystal broke up that Kyungsoo went and attempted to confront Jongin about it. During school the day after they broke up they learned Krystal was not going to school since her flights next week, Kyungsoo tried to approach Jongin but Jongin was just avoiding him. When he saw Kyungsoo near he'd just turn around and walked away. And when Kyungsoo finally cornered him, he would just act as if there's nothing wrong with him. Kyungsoo could just sigh and bite back a sob because Jongin was treating him like a stranger who did not mean to him.

He felt like he was just a mold in Jongin's life. He was there but unnoticed and not important. He was just an unwanted decoration he couldn't take care of.

-------

Kyungsoo took a deep breath before lifting up his hand to press on the house's doorbell located beside door.

His heartbeat went rapid as he heard the soft sound of ringing and soon followed by quick footsteps coming nearer and nearer to the door. A soft female voice called out to indicate that the people in the house heard him and was coming to get the visitor.

The door opened and in it revealed a very beautiful lady in her late 40's. Her hair was tied and she had on a red apron. Even in normal attire, Mrs. Kim was indeed elegant and sophisticated. She never failed to dumbfound Kyungsoo with her beauty. He always wanted to be as pretty as her and of course his mother as well, who, in his own opinion was prettier than Mrs. Kim.

"Oh Kyungsoo, my child. Are you here for my good-for-nothing son?" Mrs. Kim opened the door wider to let Kyungsoo inside the house. Kyungsoo bowed first as a greeting before entering.

He nodded his head softly to avoid hurting his already aching head from all the anxiety and nervousness he felt. "Yes ma'am."

Mrs. Kim just laughed at his reactions. "You really are an adorable kid. I'd want to take you as my son instead of that idiot."

Kyungsoo laughed lightly at that comment. His nervousness got lessened because of that joke.

"Anyway, he's upstairs." She motioned her hands up the stairs. He already knew where Jongin's room was located. He used to go here as a kid.

Kyungsoo went upstairs and Mrs. Kim proceeded to the kitchen to cook before stopping and yelling something at Kyungsoo. "Child how many times do I have to tell you to just call me aunt. I'll bring you snacks later and please do tell Jongin to drink his medicine."

Kyungsoo nodded again before continuing his walk towards the end of his life. It's time to face the inevitable. He knocked three times on the door and come in when he heard a soft come in. Jongin sounded too weak. Is he that depressed that he got sick?

"Kyungsoo? What are you doing here?" The sound of Jongin's confused voice had startled Kyungsoo and he stupidly jumped because of it. He felt his face going red because hell, he just had to go and embarrassed himself in front of Kim Jongin. Jongin just laughed. "You seriously got startled by my voice? What's got you thinking so deep that you get scared so easily?" There was a bit of life in his voice but it was just faint and fleeting. Soon silence took over and it was awkward for the both of them.

"You know why I'm here Jongin." Kyungsoo said with a serious look on his face. He looked directly on Jongin's eyes. He didn't know where he had gotten the courage to say it straight but he thanked God for it.

The smile on Jongin's face was turned into a frown as he looked away from Kyungsoo. "You're unbelievable. Did you just let yourself get sick because of what happened last week? Just what were you thinking Kim Jongin?"

Jongin clenched his fists in anger at Kyungsoo's words. "It's not just a 'just' Kyungsoo. Krystal left me, the love of my life. You don't have the right to tell me as if it's not a sensitive issue for me."

"No you don't understand how people's life runs Jongin. You found love and eventually you'll lose it. What happened last week was a past. Krystal was just part of your past now so you should learn to move on from it. We all are never meant to dwell in the past."

"Krystal's not--"

"Krystal was a for hurting you, for leaving you for her dreams knowing that you need her."

"Don't talk like that to--"

"Yes I have the rights to talk that way towards Krystal because it's true. Be--"

Jongin threw the object closest to his hand which is the glass of water that made Kyungsoo shut up. He shook slightly out of fear.

"Will you shut the up and just leave me the hell alone if you were just here to insult Krystal?! You don't know how I feel because you don't know how to love! You don't even level on Krystal's worth."

Kyungsoo clenched his fists and prevented his tears from falling. "I was just here as a friend in concern. I just wanted to put sense in your head because all that's in it is nothing. Dealing with you is futile, you know what? I give up on you and in our friendship that I'm the only one who treasures. Yes I don't level with Krystal's worth because I have so much more worth than her and you don't deserve it. I don't even know why I love you but one thing I know now is that I regret everything, from being your friend to being in love with you."

Kyungsoo turned around and was reaching for the doorknob when it opened. Revealing Jongin's mom looking worried. He bowed before leaving the house with tears falling from his eyes.

-------

It was a week after that and the students were busy preparing for their school festival. Kyungsoo, even though heartbroken was a bit happy for the distraction.

Jongin came to school now. The first thing he did when he stepped into the gate was to find Kyungsoo and apologize. He realized he was an for snapping at him. But he was not that stable at that day. Now he finally understood what Kyungsoo meant at that day and he felt bad for making him feel like he's worthless.

Jongin was shocked when Kyungsoo confessed to him. He didn't know that he felt that way for him. He admitted he had a crush for Kyungsoo before Krystal came into the picture. Who wouldn't? Kyungsoo was a wife material. It's just that Krystal was prettier and the fact that she’s a girl that he chose her than him. He was afraid to admit that he felt attracted to Kyungsoo. That he had a crush on a boy.

He found Kyungsoo near the quadrangle with his other best friends. The people who stayed with him during the times he needed them. Jongin felt like hitting himself for leaving Kyungsoo alone for the past years. He approached them and the smile on Kyungsoo's face faded. Jongin gulped before opening his mouth to say something.

"Oh I just realized I have something to do at the library. Let's go now since you have a shift now." He pulled Luhan and Baekhyun's hand and walked away from Jongin, leaving him with his mouth wide open.

The second time he tried to approach Kyungsoo he was with Joonmyeon, his suitor. He was way too close to Kyungsoo but Kyungsoo didn't mind. Jongin clenched his fist and he didn't know what possessed him to start beating Joonmyeon. Kyungsoo, panicked, was shouting and tried to pull Jongin away from Joonmyeon but it was futile. Jongin was strong, he was too weak. So he went in between them, attempting to take the blow instead. Jongin stopped when he saw Kyungsoo in front of him.

"What the Jongin? He didn't do anything at you? What the 's wrong with you?" He turned to Joonmyeon to ask if he was okay and assisted him to stand. They were about to walk away but Jongin grabbed on Kyungsoo's arm. "What?"

"Please I just wanted to apologize." There it is again. Jongin's pleading voice and a look of desperation on his handsome face.

Kyungsoo just shrugged Jongin's hand off his arm. "You don't have to apologize to me. We're strangers now. I don't know you, you don't know me. Don't worry I will not bother you so please stop bothering me." With that said, he walked away leaving Jongin again.

-------

It was finally the school's festival. Kyungsoo was supposed to be happy but he can't, with Jongin still bothering him after that day. No matter what he did to make him go away, he wouldn't budge. He even told him that he was planning to say yes to Joonmyeon but Jongin just slammed his fist on his locker and told him not to do it. Of course Kyungsoo got mad at him and started shouting things like he's not his father so he can't decide whether Kyungsoo will accept Joonmyeon or not.

Why is Jongin doing this now? He even started hitting on him that he felt disgusted for Jongin. He was still in love with him but he was so used to being in an unrequited love with Jongin that he felt strange for Jongin setting his eyes on him. And not to mention it was just weeks ago since Krystal left. Did Jongin took his advice on moving on? Is that why Jongin was flirting with him, to mock him since he confessed his feelings towards him?

To hell with Kim Jongin. He shouldn't let him affect his day. He should enjoy this day and ignore him.

When he told Jongin he was going to accept Joonmyeon, it was true. He was going to do it today. Joonmyeon said he had a surprise for him later this evening.

He put on a smile on his face and started walking to their booth. He saw Luhan and Baekhyun in their maid outfit looking panicked. They're booth was a crossplay café. The servants were boys in a maid uniform and the two were among the unlucky ones who got picked since they both have a pretty face. Kyungsoo was lucky enough to be their class representative. He had the authority to decide and to decline.

They saw Kyungsoo and ran towards him. Their high heels were clicking heavily on the floor.

"Kyungie this is bad. We're out of one maid. Sungjong fainted and had to go to the clinic."

"We needed one volunteer since we can't serve the people with just the two of us. Someone must give the flyers."

Kyungsoo looked dumbfounded. Where they implying him to do the work? He looked at the booth to see if there are any more boys inside but it seems that the boys knew what happened and were now hiding. He sighed before volunteering himself as a substitute. They high-fived and gave him the costume.

He went to the bathroom and changed. He prayed that Jongin wouldn't go at their cafe and see him like this but looks like mother luck was not on his side. There inside their booth, Jongin was sitting at one of the tables. Those two gays must have something to do with this. He went inside to look for those two es. He was shocked by how silent the booth was. There were no other people other than him and Jongin.

Jongin looked up at the sound of his high heels clicking inside the classroom. They're both locked in each other's eyes.

Kyungsoo was the first one to break the magic and turned around to leave. He was at the doorway when Jongin immediately stood up and pulled him into his arms.

Kyungsoo struggled to break free from his grip but Jongin was way too strong and he was as weak as a thin piece of paper.

"Kyungso please give me a chance to make it up with you. I know I was a jerk and I hate myself for hurting you. I didn't mean to say those words to you. It was just because of the heat of the moment." Jongin tightened his hold on Kyungsoo when Kyungsoo attempted to escape. "And it was kind of your fault too. You said those words at the wrong time. I was still unstable at that time."

"My fault? So you're blaming me for it? You never meant to say it my or do you mean you never meant to say it out loud but then here I go triggered you and you just said what you think of me out loud. Jongin I get it. You never wanted me as your friend and now you felt obliged to apologize to me because even though you never wanted me, I know that you still felt responsible because I was Krystal's bestfriend." He choked on his own spit. His voice was trembling and his tears were flowing down his face like a waterfall.

"Don't say that Kyungsoo! No! I... I need you no I like you not just a friend but as a potential lover."

"Please don't play with me just because I confessed to you. Don't feel obliged to like me. Don't worry I am now starting to move on, I'll forget about my feelings for you and I'll forget about y--"

"No Kyungsoo! Not you too. You can't leave me alone. I LIKE YOU! I swear I like you Kyungsoo so please give me a chance to prove it to you."

"You don't mean it." Kyungsoo said coldly. His hands lay motionless on his side. His arms had gone numb because of how tight Jongin was hugging him. "You know what I hate the most Jongin? I hate liars. Please leave me alone so we can live our lives just how you liked it. You want me out of your life right? So I'll stay a--"

Once again he was cut off by Jongin.

"Why were you so stubborn at the wrong time Kyungsoo? Tell me what am I going to do to prove to you that what I felt was true? I was not lying when I told you I like you." Jongin sounded frustrated, frustrated for Kyungsoo's stubbornness.

"You're way too late to-- ahk! hmph" Jongin turned him around and kissed him full on the lips, successfully shutting him up. Kyungsoo flushed bright red and he moved his head side to side to escape from Jongin's lips but Jongin would just follow his head. He didn't have no other choice but to let Jongin kissed him.

Jongin kissed him! It was embarrassingly his first kiss. And his love was the one who stole it away from him.

He felt his chest tightened. He was running out of air so he pushed Jongin away but he wouldn't budge. He continued kissing Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo tried breathing through his nose but he still lack air so he punched desperately on Jongin's hard chest which made Jongin realized that Kyungsoo was running out of breath. He apologized and Kyungsoo inhaled deeply before exhaling. He felt like he just ran a marathon.

He glared at Jongin but the latter just had on a dreamy smile before kissing him again. This time Kyungsoo put his arms on Jongin's neck while the latter wrapped his on Kyungsoo's thin waist.

"Was that enough to tell you that I really like you Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo didn't reply. He was just hiding his red face to prevent Jongin from teasing him because he swore he looked like a giant walking tomato now. Well silence means yes right? So Kyungsoo hoped Jongin would get his answer.

"Silence means yes~" Jongin sing sang that made Kyungsoo blush even more.

Just as everything went fine Joonmyeon crossed his mind. He stopped smiling when he remembered how the older told him excitedly about his surprise tonight. Stupid Jongin now he felt responsible if Joonmyeon got hurt, well not physically but hurt by heart. He didn't want that to happen, he knew how painful it was to experience heartbreak.

"What's wrong Soo? Why the sudden frown on your face?" Jongin put his hand on Kyungsoo's cheeks. His eyes were full of concern.

"Jongin!" He suddenly shouted.

"Yes babe?" Jongin immediately answered. He was a bit afraid. He knew how scary Kyungsoo is when he got angry. Kyungsoo's satan face changed back into a cute blushing angel again at how Jongin called him.

"W-Wha.. b-babe?" Suddenly he snapped, Satan!Soo was coming out. "I didn't even accept you yet and here you go calling me babe? And now you're giving me a very hard responsibility. How would I tell Joonmyeon that he doesn't have a chance on me when I was the one giving him hints these past few days! JERK!"

"What? You were giving him hints?" Jongin's aura changed and his eyes were in fury. He's jealous and he won't deny he is. "Just tell him you love me and I love you just that simple and please don't let anyone else get this close to you. Remember that you're mine. MINE." Call him possessive but that was what Jongin really was. He doesn’t want to share what's his.

"You can't just say love that easily! May I remind you we're not together? So I can decide who I want to be with. Screw it, I'm going to Joonmyeon."

Jongin growled and hugged Kyungsoo to prevent him from walking away. He immediately apologized for snapping at him. Before the tension got heated the door suddenly opened revealing his two best friends with their arms clung onto their boyfriends.

"Hep! hep! Before you two have an argument better stop it before you start hurting each other again." Luhan said with Sehun hugging his right arm on his waist. The latter just smirked at Jongin, mentally giving him a high five.

"Yes Luhan's right. We should go on a triple date later after the festival. Alright it's decided we're all going on a date. And Kyungsoo you better find Joonmyeon now before it's too late." Baekhyun said. His hands were caressing on Chanyeol's arm. The latter was laughing on what his boyfriend was saying. Baekhyun that .

-------

Kyungsoo and Jongin strolled around the campus in search of Joonmyeon. While Kyungsoo was feeling guilty for he was about to do to Joonmyeon, Jongin on the other hand was feeling smug because he won Kyungsoo over Joonmyeon.

Kyungsoo was still wearing his maid outfit. Now he regretted not changing back to his uniform. All those jealous glare from the girls because they thought he was a girl and he was walking with Jongin hand in hand. And the boys were staring at him as if they were stripping him .

Jongin growled and put his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder.

Kyungsoo would have preferred to talk with Joonmyeon alone but Jongin insisted on going with him saying things like Joonmyeon might harass him and force him to go in a relationship with him. He won't accept that. He just made it clear that he was going to have Kyungsoo no matter what. Plus the four made him brought Jongin alone because they were disgusted by Jongin's failed aegyo.

They got to the auditorium and there they saw Joonmyeon, sitting on one of the bleachers. He looked around the room it was full of hearts, balloons and mantles. The isle was decorated with flowers, like in weddings. Now he felt more guilty. Maybe he should change his mind and have Joonmyeon instead of Jongin. He looked at Jongin and motioned him to stay outside. The younger was about to protest but Kyungsoo just gave him a death glare.

He walked inside but not before Jongin giving him a warning. "If he ever do anything to you I'm just right outside." He kissed his forehead and pushed him inside.

Kyungsoo gathered all the strength and courage before sitting beside Joonmyeon.

Startled by the sudden company, Joonmyeon looked beside him and saw Kyungsoo. "Kyungsoo-yah you're not supposed to be here now. Yixing was going to call you later after the festival. Oh my god I haven't even finished decorating the whole auditorium."

Did he rent the whole auditorium for his surprise later? Was all that was running on Kyungsoo's mind. What's he gonna do now?

"Joonmyeon-sshi I..." Kyungsoo trailed off. He can't look straight at Joonmyeon. He can't look at him when Joonmyeon prepared so much for him and all Kyungsoo's going to do was to break his heart. "I'm sorry but--"

"I know it already. I saw you two at your booth so you don't have to worry yourself on apologizing to me."

"I'm really sorry. I tried but I can't unlove Jongin that easily. I fell too deeply for him that one word from him and I'm already forgiving him."

"You don't have to apologize to me, we're not even together. God why were you so nice and pretty you're making it hard for me to let you go."

Kyungsoo smiled understandingly and he nodded his head. Joonmyeon flashed him a sincere smile to assure the former that he was alright with Kyungsoo's decision.

"But we can still be friends right?" He asked. Not sure if it was right asking him that question. He was afraid that he might offend Joonmyeon for asking that. Joonmyeon laughed and patted him on the head. Out of happiness, Kyungsoo hugged him tight but he was soon pulled by an angry Kim Jongin.

"Chill dude, we're just hugging as a friend."

"Friend or not, no one else except me can touch him."

"Alright alright we're going." Kyungsoo pulled Jongin up and bowed before leaving. "Thank you so much hyung for understanding."

And he grabbed Jongin outside the auditorium.

-------

After 2 months of courtship and a month full of jealousy and possessiveness, Kyungsoo finally said yes to Jongin to assure him that no one's going to steal him away from him. Yes it took him months to be sure that Jongin truly loved him. And in all those weeks, Jongin never failed to show him how much he was sincere and serious towards Kyungsoo.

It was the day of their graduation and Jongin didn't want to let Kyungsoo go at their ceremony. His reason was as childish as one can think of. Kyungsoo was the valedictorian so he had to give his speech in front of many people. But jealous little Jongin wouldn't want other people looking at his lover's pretty face. Kyungsoo just changed his hairstyle and was wearing light makeup courtesy of Baekhyun for the eyeliner and Luhan for the foundation and BB cream.

Kyungsoo's mom was laughing when she saw how Jongin trapped Kyungsoo with his kisses. Whenever Kyungsoo attempted to escape, Jongin would just pull him closer and showered him with more kisses.

"God auntie if you wouldn't go and stop those two love birds we're going to be late. Poor Chanyeollie was waiting for me at the school." Baekhyun, like the he was, ordered Kyungsoo's mom. Of course his mom didn't care. She treated this two as her own 'daughters'.

"Hey! Jongin let go of Kyungsoo now if you don't want me to cut your balls off. You can't make Kyungsoo pregnant if I'll take your happiness away. You wouldn't want that right?" Luhan was crossing his arms looking annoyed. He was annoyed because he was getting impatient to see his boyfriend who was probably bored waiting for him at their school.

They're parents were probably on their way. They were not together with them since Baekhyun lived in Busan and Luhan's parents were in China and were staying here in Korea for now at a hotel.

Jongin immediately let go of Kyungsoo when he heard what Luhan said. Kyungsoo mentally thanked them and speed walked towards their direction, not waiting for Jongin who struggled to put on his jacket and shoes since he pulled them off when he attempted to '' Kyungsoo on the latter's living room with his mother and best friends as audiences.

"Yah yah babe! Wait for me." Jongin ran towards him. Kyungsoo, panicked, also ran towards their van. Before going inside, he grabbed Baekhyun and let him sit beside him to avoid sitting beside Jongin.

"Oh no you don't." Jongin shoved Baekhyun harshly aside. Baekhyun whined for being man handled by these two lovers. "Gotcha baby." Jongin smirked when he finally trapped Kyungsoo again in his arms.

"No! Noooo stay away from me!" Kyungsoo was smiling widely while playfully pushing Jongin away from him. Jongin pulled Kyungsoo to him and kissed him hard making Kyungsoo moan in embarrassment.

"Ahhhh I'm going crazy with you!" Both Baekhyun and Luhan said at the same time. "Get a room, you two."

All that was ever heard from the van was two gay people screeching like a dying whale, Kyungsoo's mom's laugh and last was Kyungsoo's soft moans.