004

Day And Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rest of his journey towards the beach was rather painful, his mind occupied with thoughts of Jongin and Tao and memories of their childhood together. All the laughter from the past, the childish tears and sulking and Baekhyun wondered if he had been the one who changed. His heart weighed a ton, and too often he had to bite back the sob that threatened to leave his lips. Why does it hurt so much?

He was afraid, clueless on where he should go with his feelings, confused to whether he should follow his heart or his head. In his right mind, Baekhyun knew he should stop seeing Sehun because it had only amplified his feelings. But his heart longs to see Sehun again and then again, and his heart seemed to yell louder than his head. With Sehun, Baekhyun smiles without so much an effort.

Letting go isn't one of the options.

It was already dark when he finally reached his destination, spotting Sehun seated on the space underneath a tree with a perfect view of the sea. Like always, that same stupid grin stretched at his lips as his eyes take in the image of the night boy, and he had to calm himself down before he took the steps towards Sehun. The boy heard him before he could say anything, turning to look at him with a beam that lights up his whole face. Baekhyun waved at him excitedly, ignoring the look in Sehun's warm yellow eyes as he scanned Baekhyun down.

He was silent save for his thrumming heartbeat as he took a seat next to Sehun, trying to come out casual and breathing in the fresh night air. The tiny voice in his heart prayed for Sehun to say something about how he looked, sure to be disappointed if Sehun hadn't noticed. The silence took too long for Baekhyun's liking, and he was about to say something when Sehun scooted closer, enough for their thighs to press against each other. For that brief second, Baekhyun forgot what he had wanted to say. Closer. Closer. Closer.

"You look beautiful tonight," Sehun finally whispered, head turned to face Baekhyun with an endearing smile on his lips.

Baekhyun flushed a bright pink at the compliment, lips stretched wider as he playfully shrug a shoulder in a way that he hoped would look adorable. "Thank you. Was it so obvious that I tried too hard?"

The taller male chuckled lightly, shaking his head. "Of course not. I don't think you need to try at all." His gaze turned softer when he spoke again, voice not a little louder than a whisper. "I think you're really beautiful the way you are, effortlessly."

There was hesitance in Sehun's changing eyes as they turned from those warm yellow to grey with their usual purple swirls. Baekhyun had to bite back his grin in order not to further embarrass Sehun, figuring that the pink in Sehun's cheeks was because he hadn't expected to say what he said himself. Sehun chuckled almost to himself, "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

Baekhyun shook his head quickly, smiling even wider when Sehun's eyes met his again. "You don't make me uncomfortable. In fact, I've never been more comfortable with anyone as I am with you."

"Really?" Sehun asked and when Baekhyun nodded, he scrunched up his whole face, creating an expression that made Baekhyun slightly faint. "Well, then, I should be really fortunate."

They shared a few shy chuckles before the silence came again, but it wasn't awkward and Baekhyun took this opportunity to let the sea breeze caress his skin. He wondered if it was naturally there, or Sehun had been the one behind the cool breeze. He found that he liked the closure, this time determined to stop himself from doing anything stupid like he did two days ago. What was he thinking kissing Sehun's forehead? Even if the boy had been asleep.

How, though, could one stare at the curve of Sehun's jawline and not feel the need to touch it? Sehun looked surreal from this angle, perfectly sculpted nose and soft-looking pink lips adorning a tiny smile that look so, amazingly good on him. His hair looked so soft, and it was when Baekhyun had run his fingers through them in an innocent attempt to soothe his headache. He just needed to fight the temptation to do it again. He had no reason to this time.

They talked for hours on end and he found himself staring for a little too long but decided that it wouldn't hurt him as long as Sehun doesn't noticed. Sehun smiled then just as the thought crossed his mind, and for a second, Baekhyun feared that Sehun knew all along. He almost breathed a sigh of relief when Sehun spoke of something else instead.

"Ever since witnessing the merge," Sehun started, gazing into the horizon before them. "I've been having strange feelings, about a lot of things that I can't even begin to explain. My eyes change colours, my ability to control the wind falters, and my emotions are intensified. It's pretty terrifying. Does witnessing the merge affect you?"

Yes, Baekhyun wanted to say. I met you and I swear everything has changed. Instead, he smiled apologetically and said, "Yes, sort of. I've been unable to think correctly. And my decisions are always false. My feelings... have been intensified too."

Sehun's eyes quickly met his, "Really? Feelings for people?"

"Yes," Baekhyun breathed, his heart stammered.

In the moment of which time froze, Baekhyun stared at Sehun's lips just as Sehun stared at his. It was over too quick when the taller male broke it with a chuckle. "Could it be just an after effect?"

Baekhyun bit his lip to fight the disappointment, shaking his head. "I don't think so. I think.. I think it's just our feelings. It happens, doesn't it? Feelings happen when we least expected it."

From all the silence that they were bathed in for the past days that they had seen each other, none was as nerve-wrecking as this one. Baekhyun watched as Sehun gazed at him, eyes lingering on his lips and there was a pull in his stomach that made him leaned even closer. Sehun's lips twitched, the breeze flowed by and Baekhyun could hear the waves crash ashore beneath the loud sound of his heartbeat. The wind kept coming, fluttering his ed white shirt and his hair.

Sehun leaned in just as Baekhyun did again, his heart bursting with need and want within his ribcage as his eyes caught Sehun's hand coming up to cup the side of his face. If he had not seen the watch that circled Sehun's wrist, if he had leaned in just a little more, their lips would have sealed an unspoken promise. Promise of forever, maybe, Baekhyun doesn't know. His heart screamed for him to close what little distance left between him and Sehun, kiss him and then kiss him again until he's satisfied but his mind told his eyes to read the time on Sehun's watch, blinking an angry 11:35pm.

He had less than half an hour to get home before he's stuck in this world forever.

Baekhyun wanted to cry when he hesitantly clutched at Sehun's wrist to stop the night boy from pulling him closer and seal the kiss, smiling rather apologetically as he stood. Sehun stood as well, looking slightly flushed and embarrassed as his lips parted to speak. All Baekhyun could do to stop himself from crying in frustration was to bite at his bottom lip, getting on his tiptoes to place a soft kiss onto the corner of Sehun's mouth. "I'm sorry. It's late and I have to go."

Baekhyun couldn't even spare Sehun another glance when he walked away, afraid he might go back into Sehun's arms instead.

 

For the first time in his life, Baekhyun replied his parents' questions with only a tiny smile. For the first time in his life, Baekhyun wished it wasn't the way it was. Baekhyun was too aware of the fact that he won't find Sehun at the beach if he was to run back. Somewhere out there, Sehun is back in the confines of night and its calming nature. Baekhyun had never wanted anything more than to be able to kiss Sehun and wake up knowing they could meet at anytime.

Locking his bedroom door, Baekhyun didn't bother changing his clothes as he dropped himself onto the bed, laying in silent and staring up at the ceiling. It was only a few minutes later that he grabbed his pillow and screamed into it, filled with regret and 'I should have's and wishing he had kissed Sehun when there was a chance. Now he would have to wait another month to see Sehun again. Another month lonely, another month of pretend.

He laughed humourlessly at himself for crying over this matter, angrily wiping at his cheeks and sniffling as he pulled his shirt off and leaving his turtleneck on. Buried under his blanket, Baekhyun continued to wipe away the tears he still stubbornly shed, angry at himself for crying and willing his eyes to close and let him sleep.

He woke up to Mrs. Lee's call for breakfast, face swollen from the crying last night. The memory fell into place slowly and he sighed as he stared out at the rising sun, a hand against the window as if it could bring the sun down again just so he could see Sehun.

Baekhyun wasn't patient enough to wait a whole month.

 

 

It was the first time in their whole lives that Chanyeol had given Sehun the cold shoulder. He came to training with a smile despite the lingering frustration of having missed the chance of kissing Baekhyun on the last night of merge, intended to train alongside Chanyeol when the giant walked off without even a glance his way. His excuse to Donghae was that he needed to go to the washroom and Sehun had watched him disappear into the mansion.

If he really thought about it, Sehun noticed that he hadn't spoken to his best friend since their meeting with Baekhyun on the first day of merge and he wondered what he had done wrong to upset Chanyeol that much. He figured that it was because he had chosen following Baekhyun instead. Could it be that Chanyeol was angry because of that? Sehun's head was beginning to hurt from all the thinking, and he quickly decided that he can't spend another night with a headache.

He started the night's training as usual, in an intense combat with Jongdae that was filled with mock laughter and smugness over who would win this time. He barely noticed Chanyeol joining in on the training field, locked in a sword fight with Donghae himself. Sehun defeated Jongdae twice and was defeated three times. He blamed it on the memory of the near-kiss with Baekhyun for it had distracted him and his worry over Chanyeol being upset with him.

Training ended with him falling onto his bottom for the fourth time, earning himself a smug grin from Jongdae. He couldn't stay pissed off when it comes to the older, though, so while he took Jongdae's offered hand, Sehun had to smile. He had also always liked the green swirls in Jongdae's irises; the girls said he has the prettiest eyes.

He was certain then that Chanyeol was really upset with him. For two people who had spent the last nineteen years together, one does not stop talking to the other out of the blue and even the stupidest person would know this. The worst situation he had been with Chanyeol was when he first discovered about being the only one who controls the wind, and had thought that Chanyeol only wanted to be friends with him because he was special. Leaving Jongdae behind to chat up the other nightwalker trainees, Sehun ran the little distance to catch up with Chanyeol. He assumed that everything is well so as usual, he jumped onto the giant's back playfully with a grin on his face.

"Chanyeol hyung!" He greeted brightly, his attempt at jumping causing him to almost trip because Chanyeol didn't stop walking. Sehun frowned, picking up his pace so he could walk next to the taller. "Is something wrong, hyung?"

Sehun was only greeted with Chanyeol's failed attempt at a small smile, receiving only pursed lips as Chanyeol shook his head. Sehun's frowned deepened, watching Chanyeol grab his backpack and bidding Donghae goodbye. Sehun pleaded Tiffany with his eyes to help keep his weapons and he was lucky that she had always favoured him. Smiling a thanks at her, Sehun picked up his bag along the way.

As tall as Sehun could be, Chanyeol had always been a fast walker and he had a hard time trying to keep up the pace. His calls had been blatantly ignored and by the time they reached the streets, Sehun was more than a little pissed off. He thinks he deserves an actual explanation instead of this cold shoulder. If Chanyeol was really upset about him choosing to follow Baekhyun, Sehun couldn't find a reason to why it would be so hard for him to just say it. Huffing, Sehun stopped mid-track, determined to solve this problem. The night was cold and he was exhausted, not to mention the reek of sweat that stuck on his skin. Home was the only place he wanted to be at, but this couldn't go on unsolved.

"What the hell is going on, Park Chanyeol?!"

That seemed to do the trick because Chanyeol stopped walking, slowly turning around to face Sehun and perhaps he shouldn't have been so rude but it needed to be done. "It's hyung for you, kid."

The corner of Sehun's lips tugged upwards just a little as he took slow steps closer to Chanyeol. "I'm sorry, hyung. But you would have just ignored me if I hadn't. So, wanna tell me what happened?"

A humourless chuckled escaped Chanyeol's lips as he shook his head, looking at anything else but Sehun. "It's nothing. It's pretty stupid, actually. So... It's just- Next time you have a best friend don't go ditching on them for someone else. It stings, you know?"

Sehun bit at his bottom lip as guilt washed over him, unable to stop a smile from grazing his own lips. He knew they were okay when Chanyeol squinted his left eye and he should have just nodded and apologise and then promise not to do it again but Sehun is so, so stupid. "Baekhyun isn't just someone else, hyung."

The simple truth, just one sentence, was enough to erase any traces of the playful demeanour that was radiating off Chanyeol's skin, expression transforming from his usual brightness to disappointment and anger and then hurt. "Then who the hell am I to you, Oh Sehun?"

Sehun's heart stuttered, "Hyung, that's not what I meant-"

Chanyeol scoffed, shaking his head again. "I get it. I totally get it. You're head over heels for this guy and I- I understand. But dammit, Sehun. Please, just please remember where you come from. Remember where he comes from. We're not from the same world, Sehun. You can never be with someone from the other side."

That last bit felt like a slap across his face and Sehun flinched back as if it had really physically hurt him. Anger rose up his throat like bile and he spat out words he shouldn't have said. "Why are you so against the idea of me and Baekhyun together? Why are you not happy that I've found someone who makes me happy?"

"Because I'm-!" Chanyeol cut himself mid-sentence, covering his face with his hands as he turned so he couldn't see Sehun. He turned back around with lips pursed, breathing hard from the rapid rise and fall of his chest. "Because I care about you. I care about you enough to not want you involved in this love story. I care about you enough to not want to lose you. You're my best friend, Sehun."

Sehun softened at this, gaze falling onto his feet as he admitted to himself that he had overdone it. Chanyeol was only worried that he would lose him to Baekhyun. Sehun sighed, closing the small distance between them to embrace the taller male. His hug was returned slowly, as if Chanyeol was really considering it before it tightened and Sehun hugged him tighter. "I'm sorry, hyung. But there is no way, ever, that you'd be able to get rid of me. So don't worry about losing me because that's not going to happen."

The embrace was broken when Chanyeol pushed Sehun away playfully, rolling his eyes before he actually tapped Sehun's shoulder and running off. Sehun's eyes widened for it had caught him off guard, but when was the last time they had played this game of tag with Jongdae and Chaerin and Tiffany? Sehun couldn't resist it, laughing as he ran after his best friend of nineteen years.

Later after three rounds of tag, Sehun lost when Chanyeol grabbed him from the back and tickled his sides. They ended up sitting in the middle of the tulip field, hugging their knees to their chests and breathing in the fresh air of the hill. It would be another month away to the next merge and before he knew it, the words left his mouth absently. He didn't wish to take them back, though; he thinks Chanyeol has the right to know. They've never kept secrets from each other before and Sehun didn't think he wanted to change that.

"I love him," He blurted out, the confession a surprise not only to Chanyeol but Sehun himself. He blinked, breathing slightly uneven as it scared him. But soon it rings the truth, and Sehun wouldn't take it back. "I think I do. I haven't stopped thinking about him."

Silence filled the air for the next few minutes and when Sehun turned to look at Chanyeol, the older only pursed his lips with a light frown on his forehead. Chanyeol sighed, smiling softly at the younger. "You've got it really bad, huh? Why was it written that you must fall in love this way, Sehun? I'm scared for you."

Sehun's chuckle cracked; he was scared too. "I'm beyond terrified. I can't love him but I do, hyung. He makes me so happy just by being next to me. Somewhere across from us, he might be sitting just like this. I don't know. Maybe if I reach out, he'd reach out too. And maybe... Maybe that's all we'll ever be."

Chanyeol stared off into space, taking a deep breath before releasing it. "You really love him, don't you?"

"I guess you could say that. If this isn't love, I don't know what is."

The older chuckled, but it sounded sad and a little lost. "I wish I could say that it'll be fine and, I don't know, hope you'd invite me to your wedding? But that'll be a lie. I honestly have no idea how it will turn out but... I really, really hope that you'll make it out alive."

What else could Sehun say besides the small smile he had given Chanyeol, when he actually doubted if he would even make it out alive?

 

Sehun's heart was racing against his chest as his feet paced the ground of the tulip field. The flowers bloomed a bright red, swaying aggressively with the wind he had accidentally conjured because of the nerves. It vaguely reminded that he needed to attend Donghae's training on how to control the wind and not let his emotions do it. Later though, he'll think about that later. As of the moment, he was preoccupied with thoughts of the sun and the stars and Baekhyun.

He just wants to see Baekhyun.

The daywalker hadn't left his mind since the last merge, memories of soft skin against the tips of his fingers and pink lips almost touching his own had kept him awake most nights. He longed for Baekhyun's presence next to him, wanted to pull him into his arms and kiss him and then kiss him again. It didn't matter that it would bring them nowhere; if he could only have one second of Baekhyun's smile, Sehun would take what he could get. He would take anything.

The loud thump, thump, thump in his chest was beginning to hurt and Sehun groaned out in frustration as he clutched at the front of his shirt, telling himself to calm down. Why was he so nervous anyway? And why aren't the stars making their entrance to start the merge? Why was the moon hiding behind clouds? His emotions were taking control over him, driving him into thinking that falling in love with Baekhyun and shifted so many ways of the two worlds that it had caused the merge to falter. Could it have come to that?

When he heard the stars collide, Sehun no longer look up to bath in their beauty, keeping his focus solely on the spot where he knew Baekhyun would appear. The sun blinded him for a second but it left him unfazed, the change in atmosphere thick on his skin. Sehun couldn't help that painful stretch at his lips, breathing unsteady as he waited for that familiar silhouette to take form from the other side. His palms were sweating and there were butterflies in his stomach.

His gaze stayed glued to the spot, breathing slightly heavy as Baekhyun's familiar figure came into sight. There was an equally wide grin on the daywalker's face when the moonlight shone onto his features and for a few moments, the two locked eyes and there was a silent understanding exchanged with the invisible cord that connected them together. Sehun took a step forward and watched as Baekhyun did the same. His heart screamed for him to go but his head urged him to stay. In matters like this, Sehun usually follows his heart.

He closed the distance in hurried steps, ignoring what his rational mind was screaming at him. Because in that moment, nothing else seemed to matter but the way Baekhyun's smile reached his ears and how Baekhyun was coming closer and closer and closer. Sehun remembered Chanyeol and Jongdae and his parents and Donghae, but it didn't stop his feet. Nothing would stop him.

He met Baekhyun halfway, lips meeting first before arms wind around each other, pulling for warmth, for comfort, for home. Baekhyun's lips were as soft as Sehun had countlessly imagined them to be. In this dream-like reality, Sehun quickly learned that Baekhyun's mouth tasted as sweet as honey, and that he kisses softly, carefully, forehead creasing with very faint lines as he concentrates. And Sehun thinks he had never seen something, someone, as beautiful as the one he held in his arms. He could cry from this joy.

The first kiss felt very much like their last, and neither Sehun nor Baekhyun would take a risk of losing probably the only chance they had. Sehun kissed with passion, making sure to graze the tip of his tongue along Baekhyun's bottom lip, occasionally tugging at it with his teeth. They could kiss and kiss and kiss and Sehun wouldn't want anything else. He fell in love again with the way Baekhyun's arm fit perfectly around his waist, how their lips meld together, how Baekhyun gripped a handful of hair by Sehun's nape so he could kiss harder, deeper, on his tiptoes just so he could reach Sehun's mouth.

They parted breathlessly, chests rising and falling with their rapid breathing and for that briefest moment, they only stared into each other's eyes. Sehun was the first to smile again, feeling a kind of satisfaction in his chest as he eyed Baekhyun's lips, slightly swollen from the kiss and eyes glassy from emotions. Baekhyun returned the smile, non-hesitant but the glass beads that had gathered in his eyes fell down his cheeks and Sehun cupped his face to wipe away the tears with both his thumbs. He need not ask why, he felt like crying himself. But between two people, he knows one must be stronger.

Baekhyun chuckled through his tears, the sound a half sob, and Sehun expected him to say anything, anything but what he actually did. "You kissed me."

The blur in Sehun's vision cleared when he let out a laugh, pulling Baekhyun closer by his face to place a peck on his lips. "Technically, we kissed each other. Have you been intending to all along?"

At that, Baekhyun's cheeks blushed a bright pink but even though he dipped his head like he usually does, it didn't take him long to look up at Sehun again. "Maybe. Have you?"

"It's been on my mind ever since you left me at the beach, Byun Baekhyun." It was only then did he realize it was the first time he had said Baekhyun's family name aloud, after having learned it during one of their meet-ups last merge. He gazed adoringly into Baekhyun's light brown eyes, reflecting his that colored a silverish yellow.

He chuckled again, unable to believe the joy in his heart. Caressing Baekhyun's cheek with his thumb, Sehun leaned in to kiss the boy again, the question that slipped his lips something they asked a little too often. "Are you afraid?"

Baekhyun's lashes kissed the apple of his cheeks when he fluttered his eyes shut for a moment, looking up at Sehun with a sad smile, voice slightly cracked when he spoke. "I've never been more afraid in my life. Do you hear that voice screaming at you to leave?"

"I hear it like someone's yelling right in my face," Sehun's own reply was a shaky whisper, pressing his forehead against Baekhyun's and they shared the moment in a short silence. He kept an arm wrapped around Baekhyun's waist and the boy felt so warm against his body. Sehun thinks he couldn't ever let go. "What will happen now?"

He didn't expect Baekhyun to answer and it caught him by surprise when the day boy pulled away just enough for their eyes to meet again. There was still hesitance in the brown of Baekhyun's orbs and Sehun kept silent as Baekhyun scanned his face. "Your eyes," Baekhyun started, voice filled with a kind of awe as if he had just discovered them. "Your eyes are so beautiful, Sehun."

Sehun could feel heat burn at his cheeks and it reminded him of the time when it was Baekhyun who had made him shy. Grinning widely, Sehun dared himself not to look away. "Not as beautiful as you."

The day boy swallowed, his smile wavering just slightly before he spoke again, this time sure and determined. "Kiss me." He startled Sehun, "Kiss me again and I'm all yours."

Sehun's own smile disappeared as he willingly cupped Baekhyun's face within his hands again, pressing their lips together in another kiss, hotter and heated than the one before. And it felt as though they had sealed some kind of an agreement, like a promise that Sehun had no idea of. It feels good, though. It feels so, so good.

The sound of footsteps had gone completely unnoticed by both of them and it was the loud gasp that broke them apart, jumping away from each other like it burned before both pair of eyes searched for whoever who had caught them. Sehun's initial reaction was to sigh in relief because it was only Jongdae, until he realized that Jongdae had no idea about this. There was that embarrassment of getting caught, but Sehun was only concerned about how wide Jongdae's eyes were.

Jongdae stumbled back slightly, parted lips smacking close and his Adam's apple bobbed up and down his throat. His gaze flickered between Sehun and Baekhyun and there was recognition in his eyes and Sehun wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter