003

Day And Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Nightmares have a way of repeating itself in a mortal's sleep, Baekhyun realized when he jerked awake for the tenth time from the same nightmares ever since the merge ended. It was exhausting him, waking up sweating and heart racing against his chest, that same sorrowful emotion weighing him down. In some of these nightmares, Sehun didn't appear to pull him up onto his feet and the task seemed impossible to do alone. But the deaths do happen, and he had to witness Jongin dropping dead and watch Tao's head roll off.

It has to stop somehow; he wasn't ready to live with these nightmares forever. It would help if he could talk to someone about it, but he knows his parents wouldn't understand, neither would his friends. Even if he was to share it with Sehun, the next time he would see the night boy would be a month away and he didn't think he could keep it to himself for that long. Sighing to himself, Baekhyun got off his bed to start this new day, always hoping he won't fall asleep later to anymore of these dreams.

It was another day of his scheduled training and he had woken up earlier than usual, getting breakfast alone and was done by the time his parents came down for the breakfast Mrs. Lee had prepared. He had only bid them goodbye before heading off to Kyungsoo's training field, not yet ready to train with neither Jongin nor Tao for what reasons he didn't know. Kyungsoo was a fellow daywalker that he usually trains with along with some other day people. Jongin and Tao just preferred their own training field.

His journey to the field was filled with thoughts of the next merge, and when night surfaces in his mind, there comes the memory of Sehun. He couldn't help the slight twitch at the corner of his lips when he remembered Sehun; his eyes and his laugh, the way his arm had fit so perfectly around Baekhyun's waist. As much as he would like to deny it, Baekhyun couldn't lie and say that he hadn't missed the nightwalker. His thoughts had revolved around the boy ever since he failed to meet him at the tulip field the last night of merge. He wondered if he would still get to see the places Sehun had wanted to show him, a month being a little enough time to change Sehun's mind about him. Maybe he had finally realised that it was forbidden.

Deciding that thinking of Sehun would only steal his focus, Baekhyun shook his head just before he entered Kyungsoo's premises. Growing up with all the unnecessary attention on him had taught him to be a good actor, so it wasn't that hard of a task. He greeted Kyungsoo with a smile, noticing some other daywalkers already starting their training on the field. His smile wavered, however, when he caught Jongin and Tao fighting off their opponents, partners in a crime. They seemed to do really well without him.

"Your friends finally decided that my field is pretty awesome," Kyungsoo remarked playfully, forcing Baekhyun to let out a laugh.

He shook his head with a smile as he prepared himself for training, doing a little warm up before he stepped onto the field. Like Jongin is a master of the spear crafted by himself and Tao is a keeper of his own set of daggers, Baekhyun possesses his pair of Sai, a traditional weapon used in the Okinawan martial arts. He had grown up with this weapon, mastering the skill of utilising it at the mere age of ten. The Sai and he are one entity; there was no way he would know victory without it. Furthermore, they were the perfect size for him.

Now, as he watched Jongin sharpen the sharp end of his spear, the Sai in each hand, he flashed his best friend a challenging smirk when Jongin looked up. The said boy returned an identical smirk before he locked eyes with Tao, a silent agreement forming between them before they, too, stepped into the field, ready to take on the Leader's son. Baekhyun likes this the most; taking on two of his friends and defeating them at the end. They all know how it ends.

Flipping the Sai expertly in his hands, Baekhyun dropped down into a half crouch as a sign that he was ready for a fight. Jongin has a sword to aid him in his combat, smirking smugly at the older boy as both he and Tao circled Baekhyun like predators ready to lunge at its prey. Kyungsoo and the others had paused, watching the trio in amusement. It had always been their kind of entertainment.

Tao was the first to lunge at him, lean body leaping into the air with a tight grip onto one of his daggers, arm ing it forward to wound Baekhyun. It was an easy move and Baekhyun slithered off to the side, avoiding the sharp edges of the dagger with his Sai. But Tao was as skilled as he is and he never made it easy. The corner of his lips tugged upwards in a smirk, Tao made his move once again, lunging forward only to twirl his body away, hitting Baekhyun's nape with the hilt of his dagger. The contact caused a stinging pain that shot up to his head, had him wincing in agony.

"Maybe it's time to get your head in the game, hyung." Jongin teased, waiting for Baekhyun to compose himself.

Baekhyun had to chuckle at this, shaking his head once he was steady on his feet. "My head is in the game already, Kim Jongin. I wonder if your balls are, though. You're all talk but no show."

There were a few snickers coming from their audience, and an almost silent one from Tao. He stopped abruptly when Jongin elbowed his side, wincing from the pain of Jongin's sharp elbow. The youngest of the three looked offended for a brief second before his smug grin returned, testing the weight of his spear before he wordlessly and suddenly lunged forward. The metal of his sword met Baekhyun's right Sai with a loud clang and while Baekhyun knew that it wouldn't be able to hold for long, he wasn't even a little fazed.

Flashing Jongin a smile that was supposedly inappropriate for times like this, Baekhyun swirled away smoothly, never losing hold of his weapon as he flew past with such grace that had Jongin spinning to catch sight of him. Jongin may be skilled, strong and smart, but Baekhyun is smarter. He blew off Jongin's attacks easily, wounding the younger male a little by the waist when he slit the sharp edge of his Sai across Jongin's torso. Tao took this moment to distract him, striking his dagger towards Baekhyun that he barely managed to avoid. If it hadn't been Tao's mistake for glancing at Jongin behind Baekhyun, he would have been defeated.

But it was thanks to Tao's mistake and his observance that he was able to save himself, hopping off the ground and gripping tightly onto Jongin's shoulders as he did a backflip, causing Jongin to stumble forward and nearly plunge his spear into Tao's abdomen. Baekhyun landed on his feet smoothly, proud of his work as he flashed his two best friends a victorious smirk despite his rapid breathing.

Score for Byun Baekhyun once again.

Tao's obvious disappointment shows when he threw his dagger onto the ground but Jongin's fighter mode had clearly been turned off, leaving Tao behind to wrap his arms around Baekhyun; his cheeky smile returning to his lips instead of the smirk he had worn. Up till now, Baekhyun has yet to figure out how Jongin handles his two personalities. It seemed to be a hard task and he never knew why even though he knew there was a reason. Maybe Jongin had to keep it up the way he had to keep acting. It was guilt that washed over him when Jongin pulled away, knowing that they were best friends yet he knows nothing about Jongin. He smiled warmly at the younger.

"Are we cool, hyung? I was beginning to think you don't wanna talk to us anymore. With the cold shoulder and all," Jongin chuckled, tapping Baekhyun's nose. It made Baekhyun flinch at the contact, for it had been so long since Jongin showed such affection.

Blinking in slight confusion, Baekhyun shook his head and laughed it off. "You were pretty mean the last time we talked so... Forgive and forget, yeah? Can we do that?" In all honesty, Baekhyun thinks he should ask himself that, but Jongin is the Jongin he met eighteen years ago, and who knows how long it's going to last? He just couldn't find it himself to stay mad.

Jongin nodded almost excitedly, adorning the baby beam that he had recently stopped wearing. "Of course. Tao wouldn't admit it but we kinda missed you. He's treating us lunch, by the way."

"Sweet," Baekhyun winked playfully, laughing when Tao yelled an angry 'Yah!' from behind Jongin. "I missed you guys too so I'd definitely join for lunch. I need to get changed first, though."

"It's no problem," Jongin started walking backwards. "We'll pick you up later at your place."

Baekhyun wanted to call after him and make him promise not to be mean, but Jongin was already far away and when lunch came and they sat for bowls of bulgogi, the proud, smug Jongin was back.

He missed his best friend already.

 

Baekhyun was greeted warmly by his mother when he reached home, a smile adorning her red lips as she gestured for Baekhyun to join her for tea. He didn't hesitate as he had longed for moments alone with his mother and it seemed to be the perfect time for just that. Beaming at her, Baekhyun took the empty seat opposite his mother, bowing in a thank you after she poured him a cup of tea. He sipped slowly at it, relishing in the warmth that flowed down his throat and chest.

They were silent for the next few seconds of enjoying the tea, and Baekhyun didn't mind because the silence wasn't uncomfortable and he had nothing particular to say to his mother. After a round of satisfying warmth of the tea, it was his mother who broke the silence, smiling at him. "I'm sure you're aware of the new council member?"

Baekhyun blinked, genuinely surprised. "An addition? I wasn't aware of it, mother. Besides, I've just returned from training. I assume the word hasn't gotten around just yet."

His mother chuckled as she nodded her head, taking another sip of her tea. "It's nothing for you to worry about. Your father will welcome him with open arms. I'm sure he will introduce you two very soon." She paused, placing her cup on the table. "Baekhyun, I hope you don't mind my asking."

"What is it, mother? I certainly don't mind." He flashed her a brief smile that she returned just as briefly.

For a second or two, there were worry lines that colored her forehead and it was a first sight for Baekhyun, as he had never seen any lines wrinkling her otherwise flawless skin. The beginning of the frown disappeared when she smiled again. "You do know the punishment for a daywalker who develops feelings for the night ones, don't you, honey? The consequences we have to face if we ever break this law?"

Baekhyun could feel his throat closed up at the topic and the image of Sehun quickly surfaced at the back of his head. He shook it away with a clearing of his throat, smiling at his mother with uncertainty. He vaguely recalled the laws that the council had created and the punishment that came with if ever they are broken. his suddenly dry lips, Baekhyun nodded. "I'm aware, mother."

"To fall in love with people of the night would end you up banished, Baekhyun. Being banished means as good as being dead." She stared at him intensely, as if she genuinely believed that he was breaking this law. Is he? Is he in love with the nightwalker?

Acting and pretending should be an easy task for Baekhyun, but to grin up at her with pretence suddenly seemed impossible. He managed, however, and the relieved smile on her face told him that she bought it. He let out a chuckle, "Mother, you don't have to worry about that. I'm fine on my own and I remember the laws. I am to lead the council one day, remember? I won't let you down."

The light chuckle that left her lips assured him that the topic ended there. She nodded again with a relieved smile, reaching out to pat the back of his hand. "I believe you. I was worried for a moment there."

"You worry that I am involved in a relationship with a night one?"

His mother pursed her lips, lifting a shoulder in a shrug. "Word gets around quickly and I don't want to believe them. I'd rather hear you out first. I'm glad that it wasn't true."

Behind the assuring smile that he gave her was trembling lips and shaking fingers, realizing the fact that people might have seen him with Sehun. He managed to not show any of it even as his mother stood and told him that she would be out for a few hours. He bid her goodbye before he headed up to his bedroom, where he dropped himself onto his bed and stared up at the ceiling, thinking hard.

He thought about the punishment the council had decided to put upon daywalkers who broke the law, particularly the one of which he or she is in love with a nightwalker. It was rather unjust, to fear of being banished just for loving another human. No daywalker would survive in the night world, and if they are not welcomed in the day world, where else are they to go? The end will always be death. And Baekhyun finds that sickening, wishing he has the power to erase such a ridiculous law. But who is he but the son of the council's leader? Who is he but just another daywalker? No one would listen.

Baekhyun thought about Sehun, too, as he got up to sit against his headboard. First comes the memory of fitting arms around his waist and the changing colours of Sehun's eyes before he was reminded of the question he had asked himself earlier. What could be the explanation of the summersault in his stomach whenever he thinks of Sehun if it isn't attraction? What could have explained that tingling feeling in his chest for every time Sehun smiles at him if it isn't love? He had read enough books to understand these feelings, saw enough movies to know what's going on.

Without knowing it, a tear rolled down his cheek that he hastily wiped away, afraid for what's to come and fearing he was too late to stop his heart. Another tear dropped and a sob parted his lips, hands going up to wipe at his cheeks. Baekhyun held his breath to stop himself from full-out crying, rushing to lock his door before someone catches him in tears and bombard him with questions he doesn't know the answers to. The hiccups from holding his tears back came and Baekhyun couldn't help but cry just a little more.

He wished that his feelings won't be reciprocated and hoped that he would be able to hold it within himself. He decided that there isn't a need to put Sehun and himself in danger. But why does it hurt so much? Why does it hurt to conclude these decisions he's made? Why is it that he was born a daywalker and not of the night?

Why must his first love be his first heartbreak?

 

He finds himself at the tulip field for most of the days that filled up the gap towards the merge night. Baekhyun feels the most peaceful then surrounded by the red tulips, even as they started to wilt away. The tree that stood tall behind the field stayed there, reminding Baekhyun of the time he had climbed it with Sehun. It made him smile every time. Each time bringing him closer to the night of merge.

It was just a few days before the Amalgamation would occur when Jongin and Tao appeared out of nowhere, startling Baekhyun from his daydreaming. Jongin's eyes scrutinised the place while Tao tackled Baekhyun down and stayed there. Baekhyun had to push his surprise aside as he laughed and attempted to get Tao off him, failing miserably as he ended up lying in the middle of the field with Tao half on top of him. Tao laughed at his struggle, refusing to get up.

Jongin, noticing the comfortable position of his best friends on the ground, grinned and for that brief moment, Baekhyun spotted his best friend as he got up into a sitting position, beaming up at the younger boy. It could be a good day. Jongin cackled and pushed Tao aside to wrap his arms around Baekhyun in a back hug, sitting behind the oldest and resting his chin on Baekhyun's shoulder. Tao scowled and pouted, scooting just enough and laying back so he could rest his head on Baekhyun's lap. He couldn't help the smile that stretched at his lips, having missed moments like this with his best friends.

It had been so long since Jongin and Tao are this affectionate, and Baekhyun figured he should cherish it while it lasts. Curling his fingers around Jongin's wrist, Baekhyun leaned his head back to rest against Jongin's, the fingers of his free hand threading through Tao's blond strands of hair. He feels a little nostalgic, remembering times of their childhood they had spent just like this.

Baekhyun fluttered his eyes shut when he felt a light peck on his cheek from Jongin, cheeks hurting from his grinning. Jongin chuckled, tightening his hold around the older. "What are you doing out here all alone, hyung?"

"We've been looking for you the whole day," Tao chimed in, gazing up at him before closing his eyes again to enjoy Baekhyun's fingers through his hair. "Why do you like being alone anyway?"

The oldest of the three hummed in response, "The question is how you found me here? I'm pretty sure it's a closed space. Have you both been stalking me?" He teased, receiving a playful scoff from Jongin.

"Psh, please. We're bound together, hyung. We'll find you." Jongin chuckled again, pecking Baekhyun's temple this time. The brotherly affection caused Baekhyun to tear up just a little bit and he sniffled, gaze staring off into the wide space filled with red tulips.

"It's peaceful here," Baekhyun sighed, leaving Sehun out of the reasons why he was there at all. Jongin and Tao didn't have to know; they'd only react extremely anyway. It saddens him that he couldn't be honest with them without ending up in another misunderstanding.

"Hyung," Tao started, getting up to look at Baekhyun. "I hope you don't mind but, we kinda missed you. You've been quite distant lately. Jongin and I think it's got something to do with that night boy."

Baekhyun cursed inwardly, wishing he hadn't thought of Sehun. Perhaps it could have prevented Tao from ever asking. Who knows? They're bounded to each other after all. Baekhyun swallowed, shaking his head. "I haven't been thinking about him at all. It's just- I'm- I'm kind of pressured about this whole taking over the council thing. I find that I've no interest in it." Lies. Lies. Lies.

The frown that etched on Tao's forehead told Baekhyun that he believes none of it, even as he nodded his head and pursed his lips, ending the conversation there. Jongin, who had been silent, sighed and loosened his grip around Baekhyun but not letting go completely. His voice was soft when he spoke. "You still have a long time to go, hyung. You don't have to stress over it too much. Enjoy now, when you're free. We're always here with you."

We're always here with you. In any other situation, it would sound caring, something a friend would say. But even though Jongin had said it genuinely, sincerely, Baekhyun thought about the other Jongin who had been anything but genuine and he wondered which Jongin had spoken. At the back of his head, his mother's words echoed; 'Word gets around quickly' and he quickly decided that his every movement would be watched and that he would have to be careful.

He wasn't ready to stop meeting Sehun.

Perhaps that was why he found himself back there during sun down, and night embraces the world for the next three days.

 

 

Sehun doesn't know how long he had been pacing the ground of the field, waiting for the stars to appear. The tulips had begun to blossom again, standing tall and burning bright red. It was, as Sehun had noticed, the first sign of the Amalgamation and he had never been more excited to meet someone from the other side. He couldn't wait to see the smile only Baekhyun carries, bright and beautiful, seemingly to shine only for him. He had missed seeing Baekhyun.

The first tinkles of the stars brought Sehun's attention up at the sky, spotting the first star that shot from one side only collide with another that came from the other side. The explosion, much like the first Sehun had witnessed, sounded beautiful. The stars burst into tiny ones that quickly painted the sky, the sunlight blinding Sehun for a second and the moon wavered only to come into full view soon after. But Sehun was seeing none of it after the stars collided for his eyes focused on the spot he had seen Baekhyun appear last merge.

Just as he had expected, a familiar figure of another boy slowly appeared from the other side of the field before Baekhyun's face came into view and Sehun couldn't help that painful stretch of his lips as he grinned upon the sight. Baekhyun was smiling and that sparkle in his eyes made Sehun want to run over to where the daywalker stood and take him into his arms. It was with great difficulty that he managed to stay rooted on the ground, stepping forward only when Baekhyun did and meeting the boy in the middle.

Baekhyun's smile turned slightly shy when he dipped his head low and Sehun could see the faint pink that tinged the boy's cheeks. Sehun's heart was racing, too, suddenly nervous and out of the right words to say. He wanted to tell Baekhyun that he missed him, but that would be inappropriate, seeing they've only known each other for less than three days. But how long could Sehun hide it anyway?

"Hey," Baekhyun spoke in a whisper, finally looking up at Sehun with the same smile adorning his face. "Were you waiting for me?"

It sounded ridiculous but Baekhyun's smile, like before, had built up Sehun's confidence as if it had been there all along. Clicking his tongue, Sehun flashed Baekhyun a wider grin. "What if I said I was?"

The day boy scrunched up his nose in a way that was so endearing it had Sehun almost losing his control at not hugging the boy. "I don't know. I guess I kinda hoped you were. Were you?"

Sehun chuckled, nodding his head. "I was. I promised I'd bring you to the nice places, remember? Are you still up for it?"

There was hesitance in Baekhyun's eyes as he looked away, fiddling with his fingers while his gaze meet everywhere but Sehun. Sehun could feel a tug of disappointment in his chest, but he had been so excited and he wasn't about to give up so easily. Ignoring the nerves that had been bothering him, Sehun circled his fingers around Baekhyun's wrist and tugged gently. "C'mon. You'll love the place."

"Sehun, I-" Baekhyun interrupted but Sehun wasn't having any of it.

"I won't take no for an answer." Sehun teased, opting to jut his lips out into a pout. "Please? Please please please. I promise you'll love it. I sure loved it when I first found the place. Let's go?"

He could see Baekhyun giving in when the boy smiled in defeat and nodded his head, letting Sehun pull him away by his wrist. The burst of joy in his chest made Sehun's smile widen into a grin, pulling Baekhyun towards where he had planned to bring him. The place wasn't that far off the hill, but far enough from town for the people to be lazy to visit at this time, it being lunch for the nightwalkers.

It didn't take them more than ten minutes to reach the place, somewhere Sehun used to go to when he was younger. Baekhyun's first reaction was to gasp, eyes widened as he took in the image before him. The waterfall creates a beautiful melody of the water, flowing along the stretch of the river It would look like a normal sight in the day, but the view is breath-taking at night. The fireflies lighted up the darkness and the crickets sing in synchronised manner.

Across the river was the forest; Sehun never had the time to venture into the woods to find out what lays beneath the crowd of trees. The look in Baekhyun's eyes pleased him and he continued to pull the daywalker towards the waterfall before taking a seat on a rock nearby. He patted the space next to him and Baekhyun silently followed, the soft smile still on his face as his eyes scanned the stretch of view in front of them. Sehun took this moment to study Baekhyun's side profile, taking in the curve of his jaw and his button-like nose, soft pink lips curled into a beautiful smile that took Sehun's breath away.

"This place is beau

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter