Singin in the Rain

All I Do

Saturdays. The time of sleeping in, lazing around, and procrastinating on your homework for your Sunday self to worry about. That's how Yejin thought her Saturday was going to be. But of course, ever since Byun ing Baekhyun came into her life, nothing is quite what she expects it to be anymore. She scratched the underedge of the blonde bob as Chen pulled into the parking lot that morning, both tired and seriously done with this job bull. 

A glance at the clock with the numbers of just before 9 a.m. "I should be sleeping right now."  Yejin moaned,  "But no, Beth and Chen have to come to everything because of a dumb puppy who's too scared of his y girlfriend." She grumbled, pulling her coffee thermos closer to her as she slid down in her seat. Jongdae snorted as he pulled into the parking spot, being quick to get out and pull her along into the building, seeing the shock of blonde that was Joonmyun waiting for them.

"What the hell is wrong with him, forcing me to deal with you at this unholy hour. Grow a pair, leave the . Be a free puppy." Jongdae groaned. Neither of the two friends were morning people, and that much was obvious from their complaining and clutching of a coffee thermos. It almost made Joonmyun snort, but he just led the two grumpy college kids inside and let them complain. They were just voicing his inner opinions, he might as well revel in the fact that they're being spoken. 

"I know, right?" Yejin huffed, taking a sip of her coffee, "I mean, if you don't like her, break up with her. How ing hard is that???" 

Jongdae nodded. "I mean when you and Jihoon stopped working, you two didn't prolong the inevitable."

A hum of agreement as she still drank. She swallowed before saying, "Yeah, and we're still really good friends." A thoughtful pause as they were led into the room. "I should text him sometime, I hardly see him outside our theory class. We should see if he's free sometime, Jongdae." 

After the small morning greetings were made (Baekhyun tried to get more out of them, but luckily Joonmyun intervened, chastising him for bringing these two along for no reason, which distracted enough to get the two settled and going back to talking on their phones.) This set up continued, with a few comments about Taeyeon's swollen face in the morning or Baekhyun's dozing off making the two burst into giggles a couple of times, causing a few people, including the two leads to stare at them a little weirdly, until time came when the director arrived and everything changed. Actors sat up straighter, smiling and looking more alive than before, all wanting to make a good impression on the woman who'd control everything for the next few months.

"Hello everyone," She smiled, bowing gracefully as she took her seat near Taeyeon and Baekhyun. "I'm so glad you could all make it this morning, I'm quite excited for this read through. As a quick introduction, my name is Zhang Liyin, and I'm your director. If you haven't gotten aquainted with everyone beforehand, let's just do a quick speedthrough of introductions, starting from my two lovely leads!" She nodded towards Taeyeon and Baekhyun, who immediately bowed and stood up, introducing themselves and their roles, and the pattern continued around the table.

"Oh my god." Yejin turned when she heard Jongdae whisper, seeing him with his eyes locked on the director. She blinked. "What, Jongdae, what?"

"Oh my god. Oh my goooooooood." He whined quietly, shoving his hands to cover his face. Yejin tugged on his arm, rolling her eyes. It's too early for his dramatics. "What, Jongdae? Answer me--" She was hushed quietly by Joonmyun, who sat beside her, and Jongdae pulled out his phone to continue this conversation.

One new message from Jongdaaaamn: She's so pretty oh my gOD how can one human being look so perfect!!???!!

Yejinnie: Oh my g od 

Jongdaaaamn: what???

Yejinnie: Oh my g OD jongdae it's finally happening!!!!!!

Jongdaaaamn: ...what.

Yejinnie: i'm so PROUD look at my baby growing up <3

Jongdaaaamn: wHAT LADY WHO ARE YOU MY MOM??? NO S T O P

Yejinnie: YOU CAME OUT AS STRAIGHT GOOD JOB EVEN THOUGH THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING GAY

Jongdaaaamn: LISTEN I AM BI DEAL WITH IT OH MY GOD WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THIS

Yejinnie: oh right.

Jongdaaaamn: jfc why are we friends

Yejinnie: .... w o w that's a first

Jongdaaamn: yeah that was weird let's never do that again eVER

Yejinnie: agreed.


Yejin's head snapped back up as Baekhyun read, "Dignity. Always Dignity." and her eyes widened as she recognized the musical instantly. It was hard not too. 

Baekhyun never told her that the musical was Singing in the Rain, aka her first ever musical she ever saw and the first one she was ever in. As "in", she meant she was of Kathy's dancer friends in high school, but she still adored the musical more than anything. Her phone lay forgotten as the reading continued, enve though it buzzed as it came to light that Taeyeon was Kathy. Which, of course, fit very well. Taeyeon was beautiful, no doubt about that, and of course she can sing but --

"Her personality is more like Lina Lamount, don't you think?" Came the whisper from her left. Yejin jumped, turning with wide eyes to see Joonmyun looking over with wide eyes at her reaction. 

"Joonmyun oh my god." She whispered as the title song began, covering their conversation. Jongdae leaned over, grinning. "Bro, do you talk too?"

"I've been Baekhyun's best friend since before he was an idol. I've got rights." He smiled, a glint in his eyes that was very new but a very good sign for Yejin and Jongdae. They shared a look before turning back to him.

"You gotta join the chat."

Joonmyun blinked. "Chat??"

"Yeah!" Jongdae eagerly nodded, "Like the group chat that's dedicated to talking Baekhun and his ty decisions and occasionally Taeyeon." He explained, Yejin nodding along and gauging Joonmyun's reaction. He didn't have much, just simply shrugged and took out a pen, grabbing Yejin's hand and writing.

"Let me preface this," Joonmyun began, "That I'm not agreeing but here's my number. You need it anyways." With a wink, he let her hand go and went back to listening to the script, only subtly pulling his phone out and resting it on his thigh. 

Yejin immediately tapped the number into her phone, immediately adding him to the group chat between her and Jongdae, before turning her attention to the play. Despite the small tustle for her hand (Jongdae wanted Joonmyun's number too, and would probably force Yejin into a yoga position to get it if need be) it was very enjoyable, Yejin being so focused on the pace of the reading that when it ended she was surprised and just a tiny bit disappointed. 

"So so so so so???" Baekhyun's eager tone never failed to amuse Yejin, who managed a small smile and quirked an eyebrow. Baekhyun looked expectant, clutching his script close to his chest, eyes sparkling and waiting patiently. 

"....So?" She prompted him. She didn't have to wait long.

"WAS I A GOOD DON LOCKWOOD?" He all but screeched, his excitement growing if his jittery body was anything to go by. Jongdae snorted in amusement.

She blinked. "And you're asking me because...?"

"I value your opinion as my friend!" Oh. Well, there were a lot of answers that Yejin was expecting, but this... This was not one of them.

"Oh, we're friends now." She nodded, letting the information. She, Park Yejin, was apparently friends with Byun Baekhyun. Not something she expected to happen in her lifetime, that's for sure.

"...Yes???" Baekhyun's confused face and tone was adorable and Yejin was fully prepared to admit to it. "Did you... not think we were???" The genuine hurt and shock in the idol's voice almost made Yejin want to apologize. He really was like a puppy, she thought, shaking her head.

"You didn't??? Oh my god, I'm so sorry, but we are friends Ye--Beth, I swear!" Baekhyun corrected himself, glancing to see if Taeyeon, who had claimed to be tired and in need of rest after the reading had really left. It looked like she had, but Yejin supposed you could never be too careful.

Buzzzzz. Buzzzzzz.

New Message from Unsaved Number to The Burn Chat: He's like a beagle puppy right? Put him and Chanyeol together, it's adorable but hectic.

She smiled as she texted back, following behind Baekhyun as he ranted about their growing friendship -- Jongdae too, of course, he insisted and looked over at her friend expectantly, only to be disappointed to see he was on his phone too. Joonmyun was a welcome distraction and called him over to talk about something, standing next to the director. 

Yejinnie: omg imagine them + jongdae togeth e r what a terrible idea

Jongdaaaamn: iF BY TERRIBLE YOU MEAN GREAT

Jongdaaaamn: U GUYS

Jongdaaaamn: JUST WATCH


Yejin snapped up from her phone, attempting to grab her best friend before he stood up and walked towards the beagle boy in question in strides. Yejin's hands fell. It was too late.

Jongdae grinned as he reached the manager and idol, the director having finished her discussion with the two and left first, and he rest his arm on Baekhyun shoulder, "Hey Baekhyun."

"Yeah?" The idol looked over at him, pausing his conversation with Joonmyun.

"You and Chanyeol aren't happening to be recording tomorrow, are you?"

A slight pause as Baekhyun thought his schedule over, but he shook his head, "...No, we're just going over things for my comeback! Why?"

"Oh my gooood," Jongdae's grin widened, "Can I come? I didn't want to bother you if you were recording, but if you're just going over the concept and things, I'd love to come in and discuss possible fashion and makeup choices, after all, Beth and I are your stylists, aren't we?"

Baekhyun smiled back, completely unaware of the two poor souls he was condemning to hell with, "Oh, yeah of course! Hey Beth, you up for it tomorrow? Want to come see the studio and meet Chanyeol?"

"W-well, I mean, I should probably, uh, I--" Buzzzz. Buzzzzz. Yejin looked down at her phone, begging for the text to be of some use of her to make an excuse to not be in the same room as three apparent puppies in the forms of men.

New Message from Unsaved Number: I swear to god if you leave me along with those three...

"Okay okay, I'll come." Yejin stammered, glancing up at the three boys across from her as she made her constent. Baekhyun's face lit up, "Yay! It'll be so much fun, oh my god, you'll love Chanyeol, he's so cool and my best friend, so it'll be like, a best friends meeting party, and--"

She tuned the overly excited idol, all the way to the car, and ignored Jongdae all the way home. She felt an really warm, unfamiliar weight in her chest, and pinpointed it to when Baekhyun's face looked like he had won the Triple Crown with his comeback, and it was really weird. She shook her head, making her way back to her dorm and shaking her hair out of her wig, carefully placing Beth on her wig stand and sitting herself down at her desk. She sat there for a while before picking up her pen and grabbing her music composition notebook. Her fingers were itching to write something down, and she wasn't going to let it get away. 

"What better way to distract myself than with music for my final compositions, anyways." She hummed to herself, notes of a melody already forming on the pages.
 


Whoooooooo I popped another one of this story out ^^ I'm sorry if you're anticipating other stories, this one just seems to be getting fed all the inspriation lately... But soon, hopefully, more chapters of this and others will get back~ A lot of this story is character/relationship development, I'll be honest. I love exploring different facets of characters and their relationships with those around them. How'd you like Joonmyun turning out joining "The Burn Chat" ( I hope that's not too old of a reference -- Mean Girls' The Burn Book if you didn't know, and yes, Jongdae totally named the chat) and your other opinions of the story! Remember to subscribe, comment, upvote, all of those nice and lovely things! Happy Reading and Happy Tuesday! ^^
~Rye