The Loss

Kill Me, Heal Me - The Pact

"Do Hyun ah...will you miss me if I'm gone?"

Cha Do Hyun turned around, the intensity in his eyes bore into Ri Jin's playful stare. Grabbing his girlfriend by the waist, he pulled her near till he could feel their warm breaths mingling in the cool, damp air of the basement. 

"Don't you ever dare get out of my sight" Do Hyun warned, his tone low and dangerous.

Surprised, Ri Jin's eyes widened at the fierce display of possessiveness from the usually mild Do Hyun; but a couple of seconds later, it reverted back to her usual playful gaze.

"For a moment there, I almost mistook you for Se Gi."

Do Hyun's gaze hardened.

"Do you miss him that much?"

"Not really," Ri Jin replied flippantly as she wrapped her arm behind Do Hyun's neck,"but it sure was y as hell to see you act like him once in awhile."

Her warm lips brushed against his own as she closed the gap between them, melting the hard gaze in Do Hyun's eyes. It has been months, but Do Hyun could still feel himself falling for her all over again whenever they kiss.

I am truly the luckiest guy on this planet, to have found you again, my first love.

The words were never spoken as he deepened his kiss, but he prayed that she would somehow knew even if he didn't say it out loud.

You, who healed me...Please don't leave me ever again...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do Hyun cracked his eyes open. Someone was violently shaking him, but he wasn't quite sure who the person was. Except for the silhouette, everything else was just too bright for his eyes to bear. 

Do Hyun blinked once, and then twice. Slowly his vision focused on the face that took up his entire field of vision. For a moment, Do Hyun wasn't sure who the person was.

He shook his head once as if to clear the haze of confusion, and immediately the person's identity occured to him.

Oh Ri On.

But why is he crying? 

"Cha Do Hyun!! CHA DO HYUN!!"

It took awhile, but Ri On's panicked voice and the strong acrid smell of something burning finally jolted Do Hyun's memory of the explosion.

Ssang Ri!!

He pushed Ri On away and turned to see what could have only be described as the aftermath of an explosion. The entire kitchen wing and more than half of Ssang Ri was blown to bits.

A sudden fear gripped his heart.

"Ri Jin!!" Do Hyun cried out as he tried to get up, but his weak legs couldn't support his effort. Desperately, he clawed at Ri On, grabbing the crying guy by the collar. "Ri On, where is Ri Jin? Tell me, where is Ri Jin?!?"

"Sh...she...she's at...w..w..work..." Ri On managed to reply in between his sobs. For awhile, Do Hyun felt relieved that his Ri Jin is safe and sound. But it only lasted for a brief moment as it finally dawned on him why Ri On was the only one around and why he was crying his eyes out.

They were in the kitchen...Hyung and Noona...

An awful dread came over him.

"Ri On...your parents..."

Do Hyun's felt his own tears stream down his cheeks as he trailed off without completing his question. Ri On's anguished sobs told all that he needed to know. The images of Ri Jin's foster parents flashed by in Do Hyun's memory. There was simply no way that the both of them could have survived the explosion.

Hyung...if only I had asked you out for a drink with Noona during my break....I could have saved you both!!

The mixture of overwhelming regret and grieve for the loss of the couple who had treated him like their own family descended over Do Hyun's heart. 

But nothing could prepare him for what came next.

"It was your fault, wasn't it?"

The sudden accusation startled Do Hyun. What was anguish and hopelessness in Ri On's tone just a moment ago was now replaced by anger and vehemance. He turned to see Ri Jin's brother staring hard at him, his bloodshot eyes threatening.

"Ri....Ri On ah...wha...what are you saying...?"

The other's anger burst forth as he pounced forward and grabbed Do Hyun by his collar.

"THIS!!" Ri On yelled out as he pointed his finger at the ruins of Ssang Ri, "THIS wouldn't have happened if it weren't because of you!! My parents were good people, Do Hyun!! They had NO enemies who would want to do this to them!! My family, our lives!! We were doing absolutely FINE until YOU stepped in and robbed me off EVERYTHING I ever had!! First you took Ri Jin away, now you took MY PARENTS too?!?!!"

The accusation stabbed Do Hyun right through his heart. It was illogical and made absolutely no sense for Ri On to pin the blame for what has happened on him.

"What the hell are you talking about, Ri On??! This isn't my fau...."

Do Hyun couldn't finish his sentence because a sudden thought had occured to him.

The explosion happened as soon as I pressed 'No'.

A chill ran down his spine.

Pushing Ri On away, Do Hyun looked around frantically for his laptop and spotted it lying a few feet away. Crawling on his knees, he scrambled to where the laptop was, fervently praying that it, too, survived the impact of the explosion. Much to his relief, Do Hyun found out that his laptop is still working.

Peering past the cracked screen, Do Hyun saw that another pop-up had appeared. It was another anonymous email with the same title as before.

He felt another chill run down his spine. 

What is it with these anonymous emails? Did my reply really triggered the explosion...?

With a sense of trepidation, Do Hyun clicked to open the email. This time, it simply contained a link.

Should I follow the link? What if something dangerous happens again...??

"Click it."

The sudden command from Ri On startled Do Hyun. In his anxiety, he didn't realise that the guy had followed him and watched over his shoulder as Do Hyun opened the anonymous email.

"Ri On ah...I don't think it's safe..."

"CLICK THAT LINK!!"  

Do Hyun knew that he had no choice but to click on the link. It took quite a bit of time to load, but when it finally did, Do Hyun raised his eyebrows in surprise.

The link had routed to a website that hosted a live video feed divided into 4 parts. It was hard to tell from the cracked screen, but upon closer inspection, Do Hyun realised that each part showed a view of an empty room from different angles. 

Empty room...save for a woman who is tied to and slumped in her chair...could it be...? 

Do Hyun's heart began beating rapidly in trepidation.

No....it can't be...please don't let it be....

But then she moved and her facial silhoutte came into view. 

Do Hyun felt his worst fear swallow his entire being.

It was a silhouette that Do Hyun would recognise anywhere.

"Ri Jin..."

"Ri Jin?" Ri On grabbed the laptop from Do Hyun. "Are you saying that is Ri Jin??"

He looked up at the frozen Do Hyun. "Why is she tied up? Is she being held hostage right now? Where is this live feed from? Why is it sent to you? Answer me, Do Hyun...Where is Ri Jin right now, Do Hyun? ANSWER ME YOU BASTARD!!!"

The laptop was flung away as Ri On grabbed Do Hyun by the collar and landed blow after blow across Do Hyun's face. Somewhere in the back of his mind, Do Hyun knew that he should at least put his guard up to shield himself from Ri On's punches, but the image of his Ri Jin being tied up like that kept flashing in his mind, making him immobile from the shock.

"You damn BASTARD! If Ri Jin dies," Ri On screamed,"I'll make sure that you will die the same painful death by my hands as well!!"

If Ri Jin dies....

Out of nowhere, Do Hyun felt a sharp pain attacking from inside his head. For a moment, he wondered if Ri On's blows had finally been severe enough to give him a brain hemorrhage, but then he realised that this pain was all too familiar. He tried to push Ri On away, but the sharp pain attacked again and again until Do Hyun was doubling up with his hands clutching his head.

If Ri Jin dies...

"Stop acting right now, you bastard! My Ri Jin already healed you, didn't she?? Are you gonna get into one of your other characters, now that you realise all this is your fault?!!" Ri On's blow continued even though Do Hyun was already curled up on the ground in a fetal position, his breath coming in gasps from the unbearable pain.

You can't die, Ri Jin...

Do Hyun's vision began to darken as the pain in his head began to overwhelm his other senses.

Don't die, Ri Jin...

Even as he began to lose his consciousness, Do Hyun's unspoken words came to him once again.

You who healed me....Please don't ever leave me again....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx