Heart break.

Sagittarius

 

 

 

 

 

I never thought that emotional pain could be this horrible and agonising, not until I tried it myself. When Baekhyun broke the news of his engagement, both he and I were a little confused to my lack of reaction, he started telling me about her, how they’ve been together for a long time and how he’d been afraid to tell me.

What hurt me the most though wasn’t the fact that he didn’t tell me till now, but the fact that he knew how much I loved him, and how he was so afraid to hurt me that he decided to keep his relationship a secret that only he, Chanyeol, and Kris knew.

Have you ever heard of the term ‘I love him, but I hate him’? Yeah, that’s exactly what I was feeling then, combined with heart ache, sudden migraine, nausea, I even thought I was going to black out, luckily it didn’t reach that point or I would’ve looked really pathetic.

 

 

The day went by rather slowly, and I was quiet through most of it, I talked to no one, made contact with no one, and didn’t even think about making contact with anyone. Baekhyun never came to see me that day either, I think that he believed it was for the best, he wanted me to calm down before we talked again, especially since he already asked me to be his ‘Best Man’.

 

I got out of work at almost 11, my eyes were probably burning from all the documents I spent most of my time reading. As I got out of the building I saw someone waiting for me at the entrance. He was tall, wearing a dark red coat, and dark attire. He must’ve heard the clicking of my heels on the stairs for he turned around to meet me with a wide smile.

 

“Good evening Ms. Lee…” His smile widened as I almost reached him, vapour was coming out as he spoke, filling the air with white smoke.

“Mr. Wu…” I nodded at him with a smile of my own. His face fell a little and I saw him checking me out in worry.

“Something wrong?” He approached me in concern, I just shook my head and forced a wider smile.

“No…nothing…”

“You seem off Ji eun…” He exclaimed in worry and I heaved a silent sigh, adverting my attention to the dark street, I wasn’t in the mood for driving so I decided a walk home wouldn’t be so bad.

“Ji eun-ah?”

“Kris, I’m just tired, I just wanna go home, it’s been a long day…” I walked past him, making my way home.

“You wouldn’t find a cab here by now, and it’s kinnda dangerous to walk home alone at this hour… How about I take you home?” He exclaimed as he stood next to me.

“That’s really nice of you, but…” I turned to him, my headache was already getting more severe, and I really needed to get out of here. “… My car’s already parked here, I just wanted to take walk by myself somewhere first before going home…”

 

He looked at me hesitantly at first, as if trying to figure out whether this was the truth or not. Eventually he let it go, and nodded.

“Can you please take care of yourself then?” He still looked unsure about leaving me, in normal circumstances I’ll be falling for how handsome he looked right now, but this wasn’t a normal circumstance, this was me heartbroken. I nodded at him with an appreciating smile.

Bidding me goodbye, I watched as he disappeared at the corner, leaving me standing in the cold, dark night alone. I couldn’t blame him though, I was the one who asked for it, it’s just that, the moment he disappeared I felt even lonelier. I heaved a sigh, watching the white cloud of smoke escape my lips and being brushed by the rough winter wind.

 

 

The streets were getting even darker by now, if that was even possible, a few cars would pass by every now and then, I just kept walking aimlessly, not really sure where I was heading. Sue I wanted to go home, bury my face in my fluffy pillow until I dampen it with tears, but a part of me still wanted to roam around the streets, maybe even get drunk and drown all the sorrow. 

I noticed a black, E-class 2015 Mercedes slow down as it reached me. The guy in it must think I’m a hooker, considering that I was wearing very little clothes, and walking alone at this time of night. I acted like I saw nothing and kept walking, then I noticed his passenger seat window rolling down. I still acted cool and careless, well, until I heard someone call my name, or rather, a nick name he had picked for me.

 

“Yah cow face!”

Of course, out of all people, it had to be Chanyeol who called me. I didn’t stop, I just kept walking and ignored him, surely he’d give up and leave me alone after a couple of calls right?

 

“Yah, I’m talking to you…” He tried again, and I still ignored him.

“… Ji eun-ah stop!”

 

My feet stopped moving when he called my name, my eyes slightly widening.

I hated him, I hated him so much and the last thing I wanted was for someone like him to make fun of me for how pathetic I was, thinking one day Byun Baekhyun would actually want to be with me. I had to admit, Chanyeol was right, I’m stupid, I’m senseless, and a cow even, for thinking that anything could change.

But I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of seeing me like this. Not in a million years.

 

“Okay, you stopped… now please get in the car, it’s late.”

Like you would even care if I got kidnapped or something?

 

“As much as I hate you, I don’t want anyone to kidnap you…”

Wait, what? Did he read my mind or something? Okay, I’ll just keep walking and maybe he’ll get bored.

“Fine, if you won’t get in, I’ll just have to drive next to you…” He snickered at me.

you Park Chanyeol, I’m a strong willed woman, some cold won’t make me get in the care with someone like you.

 

“You’re gonna freeze out there…”

 

“Are you a mind reader or something?!” I turned to him with a glare, stomping my feet on the ground in anger. He stopped the car at my outburst and stared at me with innocent eyes. It was the first time I got to see him clearly today.

He was wearing a burgundy tux that fitted him perfectly, his black hair pushed up like always, looking soft and shiny under the street lights. His eyes were glistening somehow, not really black, not really brown, it was like a beautiful combination of both, and right then and there, he was staring at me like a kid being reprimanded for eating too much chocolate.

 

He heaved a sigh and closed his eyes, clicking his tongue in disapproval. He turned to me once again with a determined look and leaned to open the car door for me.

 

“Get in. NOW!”

 

 

 

It’s kind of a long ride from the company to my house, an even longer from my house to Chanyeol’s, so I was kind of surprised that he kept insisting that he’d take me home.

He stopped at a small diner on our way and turned off the car, heaving a deep sigh, he turned to me with a bored stare. I just blinked at him in confusion.

“You hungry?”

 

 

 

“Ajumma! Another round please…” Chanyeol slammed his now empty cup on the table, grabbing his chopsticks, he played a little with his noodles before slurping a good amount of it in one go, I just sat there, watching his inhumane way of eating, still trying to figure out why I actually agreed to eat with him here.

Was it because I was hungry? I suppose, my tummy was practically growling earlier. Or was it because I just needed a drink, something to make me forget the pain I was feeling. It could be that too. I filled my cup with the last drips of Sujo before taking it on one go.

I was already getting dizzy and my vision was getting blurred, the best part that the headache was gone, the worst was that tomorrow, it’ll probably be worse.

The ajumma placed 2 bottles in front of us, asked to take my untouched noodles but Chanyeol asked her not to, he said maybe I’ll get a bit hungry later.

 

“Eat!” He ordered me, pouring himself a drink for the millionth time.

“At this rate, we won’t be able to go home…”

“Just shut up and eat…”

 

I picked my chopsticks and did as I was told, the food was great but most of my belly was filled with too much Sujo that I was afraid I was going to blow at any time.

“It’s good, isn’t it?”

 

I merely nodded. He was acting really weird.

 

“Why am I here?” I suddenly asked, I saw him freeze, his chopsticks stopping half way to his lips.

“If you feel sorry for me because you know Baekhyun told me, don’t… I don’t want anyone’s sympathy.” I bit my bottom lip as I watched him put his chopsticks aside, wiping his mouth with a handkerchief. He let out a deep breath before looking back at me, his eyes searching mine.

“I didn’t know he told you…”

“You didn’t?” I raised an eyebrow at him.

“No… I was planning to tell you.” He confessed and I was bit confused.

 

“Why would you? I mean, Baekhyun’s your best friend, normally you’d be protecting him or something.” I could see his eyes falling on everything but me, he looked confused, his head floating somewhere else, and I knew it wasn’t the alcohol because his voice sounded fresh and attentive, opposite to mine.

“Because what he did is wrong…” His hands balled into fists on the table, turning his knuckles white.

 

“Look, I know I give off a feeling of being a jerk and all, but I have my standards and rules…”

 

We have an uptight Sagittarius here.

“I hate it when people lie, especially when I see someone getting hurt because of it…”He heaved a sigh and closed his eyes, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I know we’re supposed to hate each other, I don’t remember why though, but I just know that’s how things are between us… but hating you doesn’t mean I wish to see you getting hurt…”

 

“Who are you and what have you done with Park Chanyeol?” I suddenly exclaimed, my eyes slightly widened as a result of his sudden niceness.

 

“I still have a conscious Ji eun…” He exclaimed with a pained smile. We stared back at each other a couple of minutes, my eyes not leaving his, he looked sincere, and I believed him, he had his reasons for protecting me I presume, but that doesn’t change a thing, he still wanted to help me.

He broke eye contact and cleared his throat, pouring himself and me some Sujo. He held his cup up and smiled at me weakly.

“Drink up…”

 

 

I spent most of the time watching him eating, drinking, and then eating again. All the while I kept gulping down the alcohol, wishing that it would somehow make me forget the pain I was feeling.

Then things started to feel funny, I began to feel detached from everything around me, I didn’t even know where I was anymore. My head started to burn, and my eyes started to get heavy.

 

“You could’ve been friends, you know…”

He was looking back at me, barely smiling. I tried to put on a smile of my own, but I was just too tired and my facial muscles weren’t cooperating. My eyes started to get even heavier, I blinked a few times to keep myself awake, Chanyeol’s voice suddenly sounding like he was standing at a distance not sitting in front of me.

 

“- I still don’t get why you left that night…” I was oblivious to why he was talking about that night now, and why would he bring it up after all those years, but I was just too tired to even ask, maybe he thought I wouldn’t be remembering this when I wake up the next morning.

“You fell for him in the end, I was sure you would… and you got hurt, just like I did…”

I was sure Chanyeol realized by now that he was mostly talking to himself, considering the fact that I was totally unresponsive to anything he was saying.

 

“Taeyeon, the girl he’s marrying… she used to be my first love, did you know that?” He let out a small sarcastic laugh, as if he was laughing at his stupidity or something, I could now feel a buzzing around me, and I’m sure I would black out any minute now.

“To think that I loved her first, she ended up marrying my best friend…”

 

I felt my face suddenly make contact with something hard, which I presumed to be the table, I tried to look at him one last time, and the last thing I was aware of was him looking back at me, his eyes blood shot red and his smile pained and fake.

“Pathetic, aren’t I…?”

 

 

 

 

 

“Ji eun-ah… Ji… Ji can you hear me?” I could hear a voice calling me from afar, a voice sounding concerned for some reason.

“Yah, Ji eun, you okay?” A second voice joined, I just groaned in response and tried to shut it out.

“Ji…?”

 

I rolled on my side and groaned again as the voices started getting closer, I covered my face with my hand, even with my eyes closed, I could feel the light burning my eyes. I felt someone brushing my arm lightly, I didn’t want to wake up, not yet, just leave me be.

Where was I anyway?

“Ji eun?”

Suho, that was Suho, but that meant I was home, how did I even get here?

My eyes fluttered open, slowly of course, I cursed and hissed a few times, the light being too intense for me to take. It felt like I was some kind of vampire, I was hungry and thirsty and like I predicted, my headache was ten times worse now.

When my vision focused, I was met by two floating heads right above mine, staring back at me in concern.

“Noona?” Tao smiled at me warmly, and I saw Suho heaving a sigh in relief.

“What time is it?”

“12: 30…”

“WHAT?!” I shot up suddenly, regretting it almost immediately as I felt my skull being cracked. I whimpered and buried my head in my hands, willing myself not to cry out of pain.

“The office called, we already told them you’re sick… don’t worry.” Suho exclaimed with a smile. I was now a little bit focused and I noticed that he was carrying a tray with a bowl of soup on top.

 

“Hangover soup?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper, it sounded so hoarse and foreign to me though.

“Yeah, I hope it makes you feel better…”

I smiled back at him in appreciation, taking the tray and resting it on my lap as I leaned my back on the headboard of my bed.

“How did I get back here last night?”

 

“Some guy brought you here at 2 am…” Tao began, smirking as he exclaimed.

“He was surprised to find us here though…” Suho then added, eyes searching mine.

 

“Some guy...?” The question was more to myself. “… Was it the same guy we saw on TV that night?”

“Yeah, you ended up choosing him after all…” Tao’s smirk widened, and both boys chuckled, I ignored them and tried to remember the events of last night.

I remember the sudden urge to walk home by myself, then Chanyeol appeared out of nowhere. I remember drinking, talking about Baekhyun, and I weirdly remember him saying that he found what Baekhyun did to be wrong, which, thinking about it now, is kind of surprising to hear from someone like Chanyeol who has a history of playing with girl’s hearts.

Then I remember drinking again, and…

 

“I must’ve out…”  I exclaimed.

 

“He seems nice though, the guy who brought you… He was really concerned about you…” Suho exclaimed.

“He was?”

“Yeah, he was so concerned about you and asked us to take care of you… He even asked Suho to watch over you, he was afraid that you might get sick or something…” Tao then added with a nod.

He was?

“Anyway, you should eat, we’ll be right outside if you needed anything…” both latters stood up and walked out of my room, leaving me alone to wonder about what might’ve happened.

 

 

 

 

“Wanna tell us what happened? I was worried sick about you last night… I thought something happened to you…” Suho exclaimed with a firm tone the moment I sat down on the couch in front of him. It was almost 7 now, which was weird considering the fact that I have never stayed in bed this late.

“Yeah noona, you drove Suho hyung insane, imagine how I was feeling”

“I’m sorry…” I whispered, biting my lip as I played with the hem of my pink, pyjama.

“What happened?” Tao insisted. I took a deep breath, looking away, the moment Baekhyun broke the news flashed in front of me, all the pain and betrayal, and I was feeling it all freshly once again.

 

“Baekhyun’s engaged…” I suddenly announced.

 

“Say what?”

“WHAT?!”

The both screamed at me, I closed my eyes tightly, tears almost making their way down my face.

“She was a girl at our high school, they’ve been together since college.”

 

“And he never told you?” Suho’s voice rose in anger, he clicked his tongue and looked away in frustration, before looking back at me. “… That , didn’t he say you’re best friends?”

 

“He knew I loved him all this time, he didn’t want to tell me because he was afraid he’d hurt me…” I fought for Baekhyun’s side absentmindedly.

“Hurt you my …” Tao exclaimed with an angered tone, earning a hit on the back of his head because of the cursing part. He smiled sheepishly at Suho before looking back at me, turning all serious again.

“Ji eun-ah, that guy’s greedy, he’s a player, and he’s stupid…”

“Weirdly, I’ve been agreeing with Tao a lot lately!” Suho added. I chuckled at what he said and looked away, my smile turning into a pained one.

 “Are you okay though?” His eyes searched me a little with concern. I just nodded faintly. It’s weird, ever since that night Suho became nicer to me, he even became protective of me, which was nice.

“He asked me to be his ‘Best Man’…”

“I’m starting to hate that kid Ji…” Suho gritted his teeth.

“Yeah, same here!” Tao nodded, scowling as he said so.

“Seriously though, is he using you or something? ‘Best Man’? Has he no shame?!”

“Apparently not hyung…”

 

“YAH!” It’s not that I was fed up with how they insulted him, it was just that I hated how stupid I seemed in all of this. They shut their mouths at my outburst. Silence seeped through the walls, filling the atmosphere around us.

That was until Tao gasped all of a sudden, staring at both Suho and I with wide eyes and a bright smile.

“What if…” He started, I noticed Suho face palm and curse under his breath.

“… What if you do become his Best Man…? I saw a movie a few days ago, Made of Honor… the guy was in love with this girl who was getting married and asked him to be her Maid of Honour… He broke the whole wedding from inside out, got the girl, and married her by the end of the movie!”

 

“Oh dear God!” Suho face palmed for the second time, I just stayed silent for a few seconds though. I’ve seen the movie before. Patrick Dempsey did get the girl in the end, what if…

I can’t believe I’m gonna say this…

 

What if he’s right?

 

“No!” Suho suddenly exclaimed, capturing my attention.

“No… don’t think about that… and you…” He turned to Tao, kicking him of the coach, Tao let out a loud whimper as his left side met the floor, blinking in confusion and pain.

“I thought I told you no more past midnight movies, didn’t I?”

“Wait!” I suddenly stood up, eyes focusing at nothing. “What if he’s right?” I turned to Suho with a glimpse of a smile on my face as I said so.

 

“No Ji eun, what Tao said is stupid!” Suho glared back at me.

“What if it might work?”

“No…”

“But what if?!”

“No, no!”

“But?!”

“Ji eun!!!”

“I said what if!!!!” I screamed at him, shutting him up instantly. I was that desperate, so desperate to try a plan I picked up from a movie.

 

“Then leave me out of it…” He exclaimed firmly, eyeing Tao in disappointment before standing up, turning around and walking to his room, slamming the door behind him.

 I looked back at Tao, who was now sitting on the floor, looking back at me in pride. Normally, I’d say that I’m definitely losing my mind for considering any idea that came from Tao, but somehow, this didn’t sound as horrible as someone would imagine.

It’s just, Baekhyun belonged to me, maybe he had feeling for me for a long time but never realized it? I couldn’t give up on him in such case. And he getting married isn’t the end, it was just an obstacle in the way.

As desperate as that might sound, Tao was right, and I needed to act up quickly, being the best man would give me time to be around Baekhyun 24/7, this was my only chance.

 

Sorry Suho, but I’m not planning on wasting it this time.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Ji eun's going to be the best man!!!

What do you think of her choice though?
Do you think she made the right decision? 

Wel anyway! Tell me what you guys think!! I'll be glad to read your thoughts on this chapter, eh?!

And a ChanU moment <3 

It wasn't that great but it keeps things fresh doesn't it?!!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Support this fic by Subscribing and upvoting <3

Thankyyyou!!