ONE

The Wallflower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Every morning, adults would be rushing to work and students would be rushing to school. For Shim Sooyeon, she was not an exception. Like everyone in the world, she would have to squeeze in the train with many other people like her. She would then need to take the train from Seoul station all the way to Seokgye station and transfer to line 6 to go to Dolgoji station for 45 minutes.

If there was one thing Sooyeon dislike, she hated the feeling of a stranger pressing their skin against hers, even if it was for a second. But being a student with an average family, she had no choice but to take the train everyday to school. It was exhausting, seeing how she has to stand for 45 minutes straight but to her, it was worth it. She loves her school so much that even though the tuition fees are expensive, she would rather not eat than to not pay the fees.

As usual, Sooyeon would be in the train listening to her IPod. She plays the piano, but that does not mean she does not love the trendiest songs nowadays. One of her favourite songs would be 4minute’s ‘Crazy’. She loves the beat and the lyrics and she would always envy those idols because they are daring to go and stage and show that they have.

Looking at her own reflection of the train’s glass window, all she saw was this girl with chubby cheeks and a pair of dull, brown eyes staring back at her. Her spectacles were not very big but it was enough to cover up the fats on her cheek. She has dry, frizzy hair and small red lips. If there were one thing Sooyeon liked about her appearance, it would be her lips. They are so small that the width was the same as her nose and they are plump too. She finds hers unique, as there was hardly anyone with the same type of lip as hers.

Letting out a tired sigh, she pulled her muffler up to her nose. She tried to soften the look in her eyes but no matter how she sees it, it just looks like she was angry at something. It was not like Sooyeon asked to be this way. Since young, her appearance always scares people away, especially babies. Her height was also another frightening factor, seeing how she is at the height of 172 cm and she was not exactly thin. She had once overheard her classmates in middle school, calling her a giant. There was nothing she could do. She could not even confront the people who were calling her names. It was not like she is fat too, but she does have some extra fats, especially on her cheeks.

“Seokgye station, Seokgye station.” The familiar voice of the train’s announcer said and Sooyeon quickly exited the train. Adjusting the sling on her backpack, she continued her way to line 6. From there, she could already see the familiar faces of her schoolmates. There was this guy with blonde hair who would always carry his guitar and to her far left was the girl in pink socks that goes up to her knees. And then there was Nam Woohyun.

He would always be at the right corner of the platform. He would be leaning against the wall and playing with his phone. The only reason why Sooyeon knows his name was because he is in the same language class as her. The both of them took English as their second language and it was a class that was conducted after regular classes but it could give them an extra credit. As they were both in their first year, they had the same class together.

The train came and Sooyeon entered it. As usual, Woohyun would not board the train and Sooyeon does not know why because the only time she sees him in school is during English. Just as the door was about to close, Woohyun ran into the train and managed to get in before the door could shut on him. Letting out a sigh of relief, he dug into his bag and took out his headphones and placed it on his head. While doing so, he did not realize that Sooyeon was staring at him all this while. She was shocked to see Nam Woohyun standing right beside her and it was the first time he has ever been so close to her.

Woohyun felt like someone was staring at him and turned his head to the right just for Sooyeon to quickly look away. All Woohyun could see was the top of her head and no other familiar faces in sight so he shrugged it off, thinking it was just his imagination.

It was a 15 minutes ride to Dolgoji station and when the train arrived at their destination, they got off. Woohyun stuffed his hands into his pocket and whistled along to the song he was hearing while Sooyeon was not far behind him. She was observing Woohyun, watching his every move. It was not like she was interested in him but more like curious as to why Nam Woohyun would suddenly change his schedule.

Just like that, the both of them went to school and arrived within 10 minutes of walking.

 

“Heads up!” W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter