Chapter VI - 3

Think Again

Seulgi opened her eyes. An afwul feeling took over her, she started to feel sick again, like the first time she had woken up in that hole. Her cheek hurt, her whole body hurt as if she had been beaten up. She spotted the key to the third door right next to her, so she took it. She tried to stand up but she was too weak so she leaned against the wall to help herself.


She got to the door dragging her feet and stumbling a bit. As she approached it she started hearing something from inside the room, it sounded like a song but she couldn't recognize it since the music was really low. She was truly afraid of opening that door, but what other choice did she have? 


She had a hard time putting the key in the ignition since she was shaking. As she managed to do it, she turned it and pulled. The music was now louder; as she listened to it she became nauseous again. 


♪ One by one you count the fights, doesn't even matter that she's got you by surprise, misery's your master... She's the blade and you're just paper, you're afraid cause she's got closer, your back-steppin and she's out wrecking everything in your life... ♪


She wanted to close that door and never open it again, but she couldn't, so she entered. The door automatically closed behind her again.


She looked to the sides and saw two coiled stove burners, one on each side, stuck to the walls. They were off; her eyes followed the rope tied to the burners up to the ceiling. That's when the tears started falling down again; at the end of each rope was a net holding God knows how many butcher's knives. She looked at them, how they shined, and Seulgi could almost see them laughing at her, even if they were lifeless things.


She stood there for a while, trying to control her tears, trying to ease her nerves. At the end of the room there was a table with an ipod on it and, of course, a piece of paper. She wasn't sure if she should go there or stay at the door; she was too afraid to move, every step was a life or death choice.


When she looked down she noticed a piece of wood on the floor that was darker than the rest, it was painted black. She decided to ignore it for now. She took a step forward and waited for the worst to happen, but nothing. She repeated the procedure twice and exhaled heavily everytime. As she realized the game had not yet started she walked to the table and grabbed the page to read it.

Wed, 23 of June, 2015


Hello again diary! I'm tired already and it's been only three days, idk what I'm doing kkk. I guess it's all Seulgi's fault since I can't really sleep because I think about her all the time. She's so misterious, it's hard to read her, like... maybe she smiles and you don't know if she wants to kill you or kiss you, it's weird but I like it. I like her. We haven't seen each other much today because we only share one class on Wednesdays *sobs* but we talked for a while before the teacher arrived.


I really enjoy talking to her, even if it feels like a monologue and a couple of hums in return lol I guess I enjoy it beacuse I have an excuse to look at her without being creepy af hahaha Sometimes I stare and I can tell she notices but she never says anything. Oh! Also, I asked for her full name today, it's Kang Seulgi, sounds good, I think it suits her. She then asked for mine and when I answered she said "that's a guy name" and kind of laughed. Of course I'm used to people telling me that but when she said it it felt totally different; I guess I was relieved because she had finally spoken lol or maybe it was her laugh... I can't get enough of it. It's like a hidden gem. Not many people had the privilege of seeing or hearing Seulgi laugh... If only she knew how beautiful she looks when she does...


Anyway, I saw Irene today too, she was with Joy, I guess she invited her? I don't know how that works but we had lunch together, the three of us. I really like Joy, she's sweet and she adapts quickly to people, just like me. I hope we can become friends someday. We talked about school and family mostly; I also asked her how she and Irene met, since Irene was really shy about it. Joy told me Irene's younger sister goes with her to school, so one day she invited Joy to her home and Irene was there. Aparently it was 'love at first sight' for Joy, but Irene had a hard time accepting it since Joy was underage when they met lol I can't really blame her. But I like it! They make a cute couple.


Ok! I'll go to sleep now, tomorrow will be a new day, an amazing day since I share all my clases with Seulgi :) Argh! i can't stop talking about her, can I? Sorry diary, annyeong! kkkk

 

Wendy.

As she finished reading, she felt her chest was about to explode. It was a mixture of feelings, she was confused. She felt was she thought was... love? And at the same time, the guilt was consuming her; she thought Wendy wouldn't be living this if she hadn't met her. Although it wasn't her fault... it wasn't. She tried to convince herself of that but the sense of guilt was still there somehow.


Her head started aching all of a sudden, as if it was being compresed by a vise. With the dry tears on her cheeks and fearing the worst she turned the page to see if there was a message. Indeed there was, nothing scary though, not yet at least.


PLAY 'TRACK 1' ON THE iPOD


That's all it read. She grabbed the ipod and put the earbuds on, still shaking. She thought she was going to faint if she kept shivering and breathing so fast. She tapped on the 'play' button.


Seulgi heard a girl crying followed by a familiar voice that kept breaking every two words.


S-seulbear it's me, Wendy. Someone g-gave me instructions for you.


Seulgi paused the track with tears in her eyes, once again. Since the moment she had woken up in that filthy room she knew she was in trouble but now... it suddenly felt real; a living nightmare. Wendy had been kidnapped and there wasn't even a slight chance it was a creation of her delusional mind. Hearing her voice in between sobs broke her heart into a billion pieces. She felt helpless, useless... she was being forced to play a stupid game and there was no other way out of that madness; nothing else she could do but to risk her life. 


She inhaled and let the air leave her body slowly, to calm herself. She needed to be strong enough, Wendy needed her to be strong enough. She tapped on the 'play' button again and waited to be told what to do. The message continued, and she could tell Wendy was reading it from somewhere, still with sorrow printed on her voice.


As you must have seen already, there're knives waiting to fall from the ceiling. If you make one mistake, the burners will automatically turn on and burn the ropes tied to the ne-


She heard Wendy's voice breaking again, followed by an intense crying.  She leaned on the table, she felt her legs weaken; she frowned and closed her eyes tightly, letting the tears fall from her eyes to the floor. The crying on the audio stopped and the message resumed.


In the middle of the floor there's a black piece of wood. Lift it and you'll find a metal box with two red buttons. One of them will turn on both of the burners, the other will turn on one of them, and five seconds later the other. Both of them will open this door and the fourth door; the only difference is that if you press the wrong one, you don't get out of here alive.


It was awful for Seulgi to be in that situation but it was worse to hear those threatening words from Wendy. Even if she wasn't the one behind all this, it hurt like a .


It's a tricky game Seulgi, but you have no choice, so when you've decided which button to press... think again.


Even in a recorded message the 'think again' was highlighted. Wendy's voice drastically changed to pronounce those two words, and she was getting sick and tired of it. The message ended so she took the earbuds off, grabbed the diary page and walked to the middle of the room. She kneeled and carefully lifted the piece of wood from the floor.


She saw the metal box with the buttons; she tried to grab it but it was fixed. She sighed strongly. According to the message, she had to choose between dying instantly or having five seconds to actually stand up and get out of that room, so her future was not bright at all. She stared at the buttons; they were identical, there was no way she could know for sure which one to press.


She placed her index finger on the button on the right. The fear was stopping her from breathing normally, she shut her eyes tightly, her hand was shaking. She suddenly remembered the message: "when you've decided which button to press... think again". She opened her eyes and changed her finger to the button on the left, trying to decide what to do. 


The seconds passed as she was kneeling there trying to make a life or death decision. Finally, her long skinny finger pushed the button on the right. She heard a noise starting, like an engine; it was loud, almost deafening. Five. She felt she was living in slow motion, she looked to the sides and saw just one of the burners was on. Four. She heard a click coming from the entrance and saw the door opening a bit. Three. She stood up, using all the strength left in her body, still shaking. Two. She ran as fast as she could, holding Wendy's note tight in her hand. One. She reached for the door and opened it. Zero. The knives fell straight to floor like a rain of blades as she ran out of the room. One of them scraped against the back of Seulgi's leg. She screamed in pain.


Once out, she quickly closed the door and looked at her leg, frightened. The jeans were slashed and her skin was burning. It was not a deep cut but the blood came out fast. She ripped off one of the sleeves of her shirt and tied it tightly around her leg to stop the bleeding. She lied there for a couple of seconds looking at the ceiling, as her tears came out without her realizing it and wet the floor.

 

 

 

Author's Note: Hey, long time no see! I'm sorry. I had my final exams. I only failed one of them so I'm quite happy. Thanks for understanding! Again, thank you so much for reading and supporting this fic ♥ I hope you like this chapter, I'll try and upload faster now that I have more free time. Bye! :D