Chapter V - 2

Think Again

Seulgi looked at the key in her hand, a silver key. She thought it was completely ironic, since it was probably brighter than her future. She sighed and stoop up, remembering she still had a lot of work to do if she wanted to see Wendy again. She put the page inside the blue diary and the diary in the back of her jeans.

She approached the door with the '2' on and unlocked it. It was cold, even colder than the first time she tried to open it. As she entered the room the door automatically closed behind her. Seulgi turned around and desperately tried to open it, with the key, with her hands, with the strength of a mom trying to save her child, but nothing happened, it was completely sealed. Her heart started racing, she was scared, she was running out of air from breathing too fast.

It was different from the other two rooms, the walls were not made of wood; it had the same structure of a freezer, because it probably was one. The cold was unbearable; as she exhaled, her breath transformed into smoke and the long sleeved shirt she was wearing was not enough anymore. She started her own arms and looked around for a way out.

No windows, no nothing. Just the sealed door behind her. On one of the walls there was a picture hanging; a framed poster of 'Chicago: The Musical', signed by Paige Davis and Amra-Faye Wright, the two main actresses of the Broadway show of 2012. Seulgi was familiar with it; as soon as she saw it she started crying and the fury inside her made her punch the wall. Her knuckles started bleeding. 

"" she said; she hadn't cursed that much in years. As looked up she saw a table, with a beaker on it and something inside it, a little ball, the size of a golf ball but metalic grey. She looked to the side of it and there was a jar, with a liquid in it Seulgi thought was water. She walked there, and saw another page of the diary taped to the table. She was extremely confused by the things on that table. She started reading the page.

 

Tue, 22 of June, 2015


Hello diary!! Argh, I'm so happy today. Some things happened at school, I was just playing with Seulgi (the girl I told you about yesterday) at the cafeteria, you know, flirting a bit, and she suddenly kissed me! I mean, like a real kiss, on the lips! My heart was about to explode. It was the first time someone kissed me... ever. 

 

'What?!' Seulgi thought 'I... I was her first kiss?'. She was feeling a lot of things she didn't understand, but it was definitely good; well... relatively good, considering. She would've kept reading but she was seriously freezing and she thought it was not the moment to do that. She turned the page and there it was again. The message, the spine-chilling message.

 

HOW DO YOU LIKE THE PICTURE I HANGED FOR YOU?

LOOK, I'M GOING TO KEEP THIS SHORT.

THREE MINUTES, THAT'S HOW LONG YOU'VE GOT HERE BEFORE YOU LITERALLY FREEZE TO DEATH.

 

Seulgi started freaking out and reading faster; she'd probably been there for at least one minute. She looked at her watch. 16:02:12. She was not sure that was the real time but she didn't care since she only needed to count the minutes.

 

THE KEY IS INSIDE THE BEAKER, INSIDE THE BALL OF SODIUM TO BE EXACT.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU EXPOSE SOLID SODIUM TO COLD WATER?

YOU'LL HAVE TO FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF, AND THAT'S THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE KEY.

THINK SEULGI, AND THINK AGAIN.

 

Her breath got heavier; of course she didn't know the reaction to sodium exposed to cold water; she hated chemistry, she'd slept through all her high school classes. It was the only subject she knew nothing about, NOTHING. But she had no time to waste and, as the note said, it was the only way to get the key.

She was shaking; not only because of the cold, because of the fear too. She didn't know what would happen and it scared the hell out of her. Not knowing, that was her problem. Not knowing made her nothing but a simple being, just like a dog, or a cat. She had to use her instinct; she had nothing to defend herself with, just her instinct. If only she had payed attention to the classes, her reality would be totally different. She wished she could turn back time and learn something about sodium.

She grabbed the jar and spilled some water since the shivering was getting worse. Her skin was turning paler by the second; in that moment it even hurt to breathe, froze everytime she inhaled. With her heart coming out of her chest she let a drop fall into the beaker. The ball of sodium started to vibrate and smoke came out of it, automatically creating a little explosion that scared Seulgi to death.

She then realized she had to dissolve the ball to get the key, but how could she do that without getting hurt? "Come on Seulgi, you can do this; your life's depending on this... Wendy's life..." she mumbled to herself since the cold was freezing her every muscle. She looked at her watch again. 16:03:32. She held the jar tighter and got closer to the beaker. She let the water in it until the ball was completely under the liquid. The smoke started filling the room and the ball of Sodium vibrated so hard, Seulgi felt like a train was approaching. 

She dropped the jar to the floor and managed to run to the other side of the room. Before she could get there, the beaker exploded and the little pieces of glass flew away in every direction possible; one of the pieces came straight to Seulgi's face and cut her right cheekbone. She didn't feel that since her face was frozen already, the blood wouldn't even come out.

She started searching for the damn key and spotted something shining right next to one of the legs of the table. She got there as fast as her body let her and kneeled to grab it. As she stood up again she heard a click behind her; it was the iron door opening. Breathing heavily and begging for her muscles to keep responding, she crawled out of the room with the ripped page in one hand and the key in the other.

Back to the hall, she closed the door and, as her body temperature started to rise again, she felt the pain on her cheek, and the blood running down. Leaning against the wall, she dried the blood with her sleeve and then the tears came out again. She was hurt, emotionally and physically hurt; she didn't want to know what was in store for her inside the next three rooms. 

She looked at her watch one more time. 16:04:05. 'How close was I to freeze to death?' She thought and she let her head fall on her bent legs, placing her forehead on her knees. She didn't want to stand up or go on with that crazy game; she wanted to go home, lay on her bed, hug her pillow... but sadly, she had no choice.

She saw the page in her hand and remembered she hadn't finished reading. She continued, with a bittersweet taste in . As she saw Wendy's signature at the end of the confessions her eyelids started getting heavy and she fell asleep, forgetting for a second she was part of a sick deadly game.

 

 

Author's Note: Another quick chapter. This one's shorter than the previous one, you'll understand why after you read it :p Hope you like it!! Thank you so much for reading and supporting this fic ♥ See you next time!