Chapter I - Canada's Best

Think Again

 

'How ing alone am I?' Seulgi wondered as she took the last sip of her morning tea. She was a very popular girl; law student by day, boxing trainer by night, always surrounded by people but she felt lonely every single day of her life.


She left a half empty cup on her kitchen table and parted to college. She couldn't care less about law and politics but her parents did and that was enough to keep her going. Studying was never hard for Seulgi, straight As in all the classes since middle school; she didn't even have to read, she was a natural smartass.


However, nothing was enough. Her life was perfect from everyone else's POV but she hated it, there was something missing, like an unfinished puzzle, like a movie with a ty ending... and that thing missing was love.


She took a cab to Busan Law School, one of the most prestigious universities in South Korea. One of the most expensive too, but that was never an issue; her father, Mr. Kang agreed to pay for her whole career as long as she studied what he wanted. He wasn't a bad man, just wanted her daughter to have a bright future, even if that meant spending 3 years doing something she didn't care about.


'Here we go again...' she thought as she got out of the car and zombie-walked to her first class of the year. She checked her phone for directions.


History of Korean Law. Room 219, 2nd floor


"Yey..." she mumbled and got into the elevator. Three minutes later she was already at her desk, waiting for Mrs. Kwon to arrive. She took 'Under The Dome' out of her backpack and started reading it. She always loved reading, specially Stephen King's novels, maybe that's why she was so smart.


Right before the professor arrived, a subject sat at the desk beside her. At first she thought it was her friend Irene but then she remembered Irene wasn't taking History of Korean Law that year. She turned and saw a girl smiling at her.


"Hey!" the stranger said effusively. "Nice book you got over there, I read it a couple of years ago and re-read it last year, great ending" she continued without even introducing herself to Seulgi, who by the way, was shocked by the girl's forwardness.


"Oh, sorry, I'm Wendy, a transfer from the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law. That's Canada you know, up north from the United States" the girl blurted out, stretching her arm to shake Seulgi's hand.


"Seulgi, from.... here" she answered and shook her hand, still astonished. She wasn't sure what bothered her the most, if the girl trying to teach her where Toronto was or her devastating beauty.


"Ok class, let's turn to page 394, please" demanded Mrs Kwon.

"Can we share your book? I couldn't buy the bibliography yet, my plane arrived to Seoul yesterday and then I took a train to Busan so, you know, haven't had the time to go book shopping" the girl spoke yet again. 'I don't care' thought Seulgi, even though a completely different thing came out of . "Sure" she whispered as her new classmate came closer to her, bringing her sweet scent with her.

As soon as the class ended Seulgi put all her stuff in her backpack and stood up to leave, only to be grabbed by the wrist and pulled back.


"Please help me? I don't know the school, how can I get to room 372?" Wendy asked her. Seulgi was starting to get annoyed by the girl, constantly touching her and talking to her as if they knew each other for years.


"Just take the elevator to the 3rd floor and look for it" she answered, showing her irritation to the other.


"Oh... ok, thanks" she hesitated as she realized the damage she'd done. Seulgi left and went straight to her locker. 8-3-1. It opened. She had a picture of her parents taped to the door to remind her why she was there. She'd taped it as soon as she got to the school the first year, and looked at it at least five times a day; otherwise she would've ditched college in less than a month. Checked her phone again.


Art and the Law. Room 372, 3rd floor


'You must me ing kidding me' she thought and left for the class.


When she entered the room everybody turned to look at her since she was a bit late. And of course, there was just one desk available. Wendy waved at her and made some air signs with her hands inviting her to sit right next to her, as if she had any other choice. She walked there dragging her feet, causing the professor to stop teaching.


"Ms. Kang, can you please hurry? you're not alone and I'm trying to make a point here" Mr. Yoon demanded. Seulgi did so, even though she didn't want to. She sat next to Wendy and pretended to pay attention so she wouldn't talk to her. It didn't work.


"Psssssssst" the girl next to her hissed. Seulgi turned to her with a total poker face. 'So pretty yet so annoying' she thought.


"What, Wendy?" she asked.


"Here's my number" the girl said handing her a piece of paper "You're fun so I think we could be good friends" she finished.


'Fun? What is wrong with this girl? I didn't even smile once and she's calling me fun?' Seulgi thought but took the piece of paper anyway and put it in her back pocket. She was determined to never text her, ever. She fake-smiled to Wendy and kept looking at Mr. Yoon.


Less than two minutes later the girl spoke again "Text me later? So I can save your number too" she smiled at Seulgi, oblivious to how exasperating she was.
"Of course" Seulgi said 'not' she thought.

The day went by slowly. Luckily for Seulgi's mental health, she didn't see Wendy again. At 4 pm she was taking a cab again; Busan Law School was one of the three universities in Korea that allowed its students to go home every day.


Her head was about to explode; too much thinking. 'Man, she's crazy', 'Well, at least we only have two classes together', 'She thought I was gonna text her, hehe', 'Canada? Why would she come to Korea if she was born in Canada?', 'she sounds like a parrot, but smells better'. All those thoughts eating her brain off on her way home. 'Why am I thinking about her? Ugh' she closed her eyes for a bit and the first image that came to mind was Wendy, and her stupid flawless face. She opened her eyes and looked out the window; although whatever she did she couldn't take her mind of the new girl.

 

 


WENDY'S DIARY


Mon, 21 of June, 2015


Today I started college again, in Busan. It's a little different from Canada but I'll get used to it. The air here in South Korea is good and the people I met were cool. In the first period I met this girl called Seulgi, she's unsympathetic but I will prevail! haha I really like her, we can be good friends, or more... omg what am I writing? Aishhhh I mean, she's so pretty >.< She smiled at me and I got goosebumps. It was a fake smile tho, I could tell but she looked so cute either way. Anywayyyyyyy, I gave her my number and she said she was going to text me, although she hasn't yet... hmm, I'll talk to her again tomorrow.


The school is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge, and there're so many floors, jeez. After lunch at the cafeteria (which I found super duper neat compared to the one in Toronto) I went to my third class, Facilitation for Attorneys, a little bit boring tbh but my classmate was amazing and super cute and stuff. Her name is Irene and she reminds me of my older sister, whom I've been missing like crazy since I got here. However, she's coming to live with me as soon as she finishes college in Canada at the end of the year, so it's ok, I think.


Sooooo, Irene has this really soft voice, it's kind of funny because she sounds like she's whispering all the time lol. We talked a lot about life, she really wants to be a civil attorney, it's her dream job. Her smile is cute and she's tiny like a little baby unicorn! She showed me around on our free time, I think we'll be good friends :)
Although this was a good day for me, I really miss my life back there, my friends, my family, my house... Not that I've been away for too long but just knowing I won't be back soon scares the hell out of me. I'm alone here, but I really wanted to come to South Korea and explore the country, my roots you know... so I won't complain.


Ok diary, it's getting really late and I'm sleepy, so I'll write tomorrow before going to bed, as usual. Sleep tight! kkkkkk (oh, look at that, a korean laugh already :D I'll be just fine, phew!)


Wendy.