Funeral Party.

The Three Marketers

“Cheers for Shim Hansoo!” All of the marketers gathered and shouted loudly for God knew how many times. After that, they gulped their glasses in one shot.

“I miss him…” Kim Jongdae sobbed, and was immediately hugged by all of them.

“So do we too!” Byun Baekhyun, the guy with feminine figure cried under alcohol influence and sobbed uncontrollably on Luhans’s, one of his co-worker, shoulder, “He was the best manager we’ve ever had…”

“Ew, Baek! Don’t wipe your snot on my shirt!” Luhan yelled, pushing Baekhyun’s ugly crying face away.

“I hope, anyone who will replace him is as kind as he was,” Wu Yifan, another employee, said sadly and the others nodded.

“From what I heard, our old man’s replacement is a genius.” Kim Junmyeon told them, “He’s reached Hansoo’s position at his young age.”

“Really?” Baekhyun widened his eyes and giggled, “Is he handsoooome?”

Luhan groaned, “I respect you for being gay, but Baekhyun, please don’t do anything to our poor soon-to-be manager. Beside, Hansoo has just passed away how dare you!”

“Hey! I’m not that bad!” Baekhyun pouted and was responded by the high laughter from the female marketers.

“But, really, is he handsome?” Kim Jongdae spoke.

“Aw,” Kim Junmyeon clutched his chest beside him, “Am I not handsome enough for you?”

“Oh, darling! You’re the perfect one, kiss kiss!” Jongdae cooed and made a kissing face.

“Ew! Ew! Hey! I still love curves! Don’t do PDA in front of me!” Luhan protested.

“But, this guy has curves too!” Jongdae defended Junmyeon.

“Women’s curves!” Luhan emphasized.

“I’m a woman!” One of the female marketers raised her hand.

Luhan rolled his eyes, “I don’t want to have a girlfriend who spends her lunch break to touch her face up and wastes my salary to buy clothes.”

“Ouch, that hurts!” She pouted that Luhan just ignored.

“Why have I pitied him already…?” Yifan frowned, looking at the Kim couple and dreamy Baekhyun (he was surely imagining about the new marketing manager already), sulking Luhan and three noisy female marketers. The only ones sane were the two interns, Kim Jongin and Oh Sehun, who kept their silence while watching Baekhyun get drunk, they had their own fears toward the diva-ish man and Yifan knew why, let’s just leave the story for the next chapter.

“Okay, shut up, you guys!” Luhan filled his glass with alcohol again and raised it high, “Tonight is all about our old man, Hansoo, let’s stop talking about our new manager, or whatever and just get drunk for our beloved manager in memoriam!”

All of them cheered loudly and drowned into more alcohol.

 

Luhan regretted everything. He regretted the amount of alcohol he had drunk the night before. His head was killing him. It was pounding like a bull trying to smash his skull. He didn’t have any idea how he had reached his flat, but all he cared for then was time. He was late. Groaning non-stop, Luhan ran to shower, gulped the milk from the carton (hoping it could at least make his stomach a bit full) and locked his flat before running toward the basement where he usually parked his black 2013 BMW S 1000 RR, fastening his full-face helmet along the way. Putting his leather jacket on, he climbed on his motorbike and started the engine.

It took about fifteen minutes for Luhan to reach where company was, ten minutes to reach the motorbike parking lot, and freaking half an hour to reach his division floor, thanks to the queue in front of the elevators, and no, he couldn’t take the stairs or he would have died. It was on the ninth floor. And fortunately, he arrived faster than he thought. The room of the marketing manager was still dark, meant the new manager hadn’t come yet. Even Yifan wasn’t at his cubicle yet. Luhan hung his jacket and helmet on the cabinet by the door and then took a rest at his cubicle, sighing in relief.

“Here, some aspirin.” Baekhyun peeked and threw a tablet across Luhan’s cubicle, “You look like .”

“Gee, thanks, Baek.” Luhan huffed and gulped his aspirin, “How could you be okay today when you were the most drunken one last night?”

“Don’t underestimate the power of Byun Fabaekhyun.” Baekhyun flicked his bangs.

“Ew.”

“Good morning.” Yifan appeared, looking as fresh as he usually was, followed by noisy female marketers whom directly going to their corner to continue their gossip about the new marketing manager.

“You too! They too!” Luhan protested, “Why does it seem I’m the only one having this hangover?”

Yifan shrugged, “I didn’t drink too much. Alcohol, sadness and late sleep aren’t good combination for our health and skin.”

Luhan rolled his eyes and got up from his seat to get himself a glass of water at the pantry. When he was about to drink the water from his glass, he saw a familiar figure smiling to his co-workers with a bag on his shoulder, approaching the pantry. He was so familiar as if a pimple on Luhan’s , familiar and annoying to hell.

Luhan gaped, “No…it’s impossible…”

He turned his face and rubbed his eyes, hoping his eyesight wrong or something.

“Hey, there! Could you please pass me a glass? It was hot out there I might be dehydrated.” The familiar cheerful voice was heard.

Gritting his teeth, Luhan turned his face and scowled, “Take it yourself!”

The man in front of him gaped and the pointed at him impolitely with a yell, “You! What the are you doing here?!”

“That question goes to you, Kim Minseok!” Luhan pointed at Minseok in the same impolite manner, “What the are you doing here?!”

“I work here by today,” Minseok hissed.

“ no…” Luhan suddenly felt betrayed, “Are you the new marketing manager?”

“How the did you know?” Minseok asked back.

Luhan banged his forehead on the shelf and muttered, “ my life.”

For your information, the transferred student Luhan and the student council vice president Kim Minseok had gone to the same high school and unfortunately had chased the same girl. They had always competed against each other, bickering here and there whenever they had met, arguing about who the girl liked between them. They had been practically enemies to one another. Fight after fight, unfortunately again for them, the girl hadn’t chosen anyone of them. She had chosen one of their seniors and it had been going even until they had graduated. Since then, both of Luhan and Minseok had loathed each other. Because for Luhan, it had been Minseok’s fault he hadn’t got together with the girl and Minseok had thought the same. Both of them had been just overconfident that the girl would have chosen one of them. It had been very well known both of them had been enemies. ‘If you found them at the same corridor, for your own sake, it would be better for you to take another route or you might die at the battlefield’ had been an unwritten yet important rule at their high school.

The days passed, both of them had graduated from their high school and had got themselves into different colleges. They just hadn’t known they had entered the same company but in different branches. Luhan had been marketer since the first day he had been accepted and nothing had changed. While Minseok, well known of his brain since high school, had been going up gradually until one day the head manager of his branch had said he had promoted to be a marketing manager, but he had to move to different branch. It hadn’t been Minseok’s problem until he met Luhan at the marketing pantry that day.

Minseok couldn’t believe that. There were so many places Luhan could have been at but why did it have to the branch where he had just replaced at? He cursed his bad luck. But, there was one thing he could take advantage of his situation: he was Luhan’s manager.

“So,” Minseok grinned smugly, “You’re one of the employees of this division then?”

Luhan held his hatred back but couldn’t hide his disgust toward the other man, “Yeah, so what? Are you going to fire me right here and now just because you’re the new manager, huh?”

Minsek tapped his chin, pretending to think, and then shook his head.

“Where’s the fun of it? I have a better idea than firing you,” Minseok raised his chin cockily, “Be prepared, Luhan. I’m going to make your days feel like hell.”

And then Minseok took the glass from Luhan’s hand, gulping the content in one shot, before putting it back to Luhan’s hand and walked out of the pantry. Luhan could see his co-workers looking at him curiously or smiling at Minseok nervously.

Luhan looked at the empty glass in his grip and sighed in sorrow, “Maybe, it would be better if he fired me.”

He took another glass and looked at his reflection on the shelf’s glass. He shook his head and felt like crying, “But, the salary here is freaking high!”

Luhan poured himself water and gulped it a bit, “But, I have to face that demon every freaking day!”

He sighed again, “I hate my life…”

“Dude,” Baekhyun, who had watched the whole of Luhan’s monologue, appeared at the doorway and rubbed Luhan’s back comfortingly, “Are you okay?”

Luhan sighed, “There are so many places in this world, why is he even here?”

“Why did you never tell me about this?” Baekhyun quietly asked.

“Well, why do I have to tell you about my high school days?” Luhan frowned.

“Dude, I knew it. You’ve been pretending this whole time. I don’t know you have this big problem on your shoulders. But, you, Yifan and I are best friends and I wouldn’t judge you. All you need to do is to open up to me and I’ll help you to find your true self, it must be hard for you in the beginning, I felt the same confusion as you do now, but once you accept yourself, you’re going to be fine, dude. Maybe he hated you because he is not like me or you, I don’t know about Yifan though.” Baekhyun smiled and nodded encouragingly. Luhan frowned, something was off.

“Err…what are you talking about, Baek?” Luhan asked hesitantly.

“I knew it, Luhan.” Baekhyun nodded, “He rejected you when you were in high school because he was straight and you just didn’t know it, right? So he’s hated you since then. Luhan, I will help you to find who is straight and who is not. Don’t worry. I’ve experienced this so many times.”

Whether Baekhyun was joking or not, Luhan could picture himself dropping Baekhyun off into the sea full of hungry orcas. There was no orca at the office, but Luhan had a glass almost full of water. He splashed Baekhyun with it, straight on the face.

 

After the small encounter between Luhan and Minseok (and the forgotten wet Baekhyun who had dried himself, grunting), everyone had their own speculation, just liike Baekhyun with his story with Luhan was gay, if not biual, and he had sad story with Minseok. Luhan nearly killed him for that if Yifan didn’t stop him. The Kim couple, Jongdae and Junmyeon, had another speculation. They were sure Luhan was a former mafia, and Minseok had been fired because he had failed to catch Luhan.

“Are you on drugs?” Baekhyun snorted. The couple just shrugged.

The interns under the Kim couple’s supervision, Kim Jongin and Oh Sehun, said Minseok and Luhan had been probably fighting to get recognized by the teachers.

“Ckckck. Look at these naïve boys. Minseok suits that imagination of yours, he looks like one of the role model students, but Luhan?” Baekhyun looked at his friend, “He looks like the one that smoked at the male washroom while ditching class.”

“Hey!” Luhan protested, “I wasn’t that bad! It was only one time, okay?!”

Or the three female marketers could speculate that Minseok and he had been in different gangs and had been involved in a war that had killed so many of them. They even thought Luhan had killed the former leader of Minseok’s gang; it had been the reason Minseok had chased Luhan.

“Write a novel. You girls are going to be famous.” Baekhyun looked at them as if they had been rotten cucumbers (Baekhyun hated cucumbers, rotten or not) and asked Yifan, “What about your imagination, Yifan? Are you going to say that Luhan was a former MIB and Minseok was an alien coming from somewhere over the rainbow?”

Luhan thought it would be better if he just ignored all the comments coming from his co-workers. They could speculate as creative as they wanted. But, he might kill Yifan if he agreed with Baekhyun’s delusional story about him being gay for Minseok. He wasn’t a homophobic, really, he had befriended with Baekhyun, that openly gay, for years. And for him, it was the matter of their ual orientation, nothing to be judged over, everyone could love anyone they wanted, male or female. But, he was talking about the Kim (insert bad words here) Minseok, Luhan’s long last loathed enemy.

Yifan shrugged, “Maybe they just had crush to the same person of something.”

“Finally a rational one.” Luhan sighed in relief and patted Yifan’s shoulder, “You’re the sanest one beside the interns here. Thanks, bro.”

Baekhyun pouted, “No fun.”

Yifan shrugged again and rolled his seat back to his own cubicle across Luhan’s crowded one.

“Are you guys done gossiping my loath to Luhan?” Suddenly, Minseok’s voice was heard.

All of them hurriedly ran back scrabbly to their own cubicles as if being attacked by bisons. Oh Sehun destroyed his supervisor’s, Jongdae, cubicle along the way.

“If you have time for that, I assume you guys are done with your monthly reports then.” Minseok said with authority tone, “Yifan.”

“Yes, Manager?”

“I’m going to check all last month reports. Could you please collect them for me and bring them to my office?”

“Yeah, sure. But what if there’s any who’s not done with it?” Yifan asked, peeking to Luhan at the corner of his eyes. He knew it too well that the guy always procrastinated his monthly report. Hansoo had spoiled them too much, but Minseok?

“Then the said guy is going to say bye-bye to his lunch break and start working on it because I need it by the end of the day or I’ll cut half of his salary off.” Minseok said casually as if he had been commenting about weather.

“You can’t ing do that!” Luhan shouted in sudden, making Minseok snort and glare at him.

“I said, by the end of the day, and yes, I can do that. Hansoo might spoil you. But you work for me now and I need professionalism. You better get working on it, Luhan.” Minseok emphasized each important words, pointing straightly to Luhan’s nose, and turned his face to smile at Yifan, “See you, Yifan.”

“No wonder he was promoted so fast. I have to admit he has committed for his job.” Yifan nodded approvingly after Minseok had gone to his office room and looked at Luhan, “He doesn’t like procrastinator. So, what are you going to do with it?”

“Oh my God, Kim Minseok is a ing nightmare!” Luhan whined, “He’s the worst creature ever, a tyrant!”

“Okay, so you’re now complaining,” Yifan looked at Luhan incredulously, “Immature brat.”


a/n: that was the first chapter for you :3 please tell me what you think on comment section~ love love chuchuu~