Welcome Home

Gravity

(Soojin's POV)

"Wait, Kri- I mean Yifan!" I called after him, but by the time I had regained my balance, I was only able to catch his reluctant glance as the doors closed. 

It was dim, and there was a funky scent I couldn't quite get over. I was once again plunged into the unfamiliar and I wasn't appreciating it.

Thanks, Kris.

I mean Yifan.

My curses were interrupted by a shuffle I heard relatively close to me. I turned to my left, but it was too dark to make out distinct features. Still, I saw a silhouette approaching me slowly. 

I felt my body tense up protectively, because at this point, anything new was a foe unless proven otherwise.

My eyes adjusted to the dark a bit more, and I was able to see the mysterious being as they came closer to the light. 

He was a short male, and my fear dissipated as i analyzed his features. His face was round, almost hamster like. His bright eyes gazed at her analytically. He looked so innocent, and quite young for that matter.  He could even pass for being younger than her with his scrawny build.

"Are you Soojin?" He asked carefully.

I nodded, not making a move to go closer. I wasn't sure of him yet.

"My name is Minseok, but most everyone calls me Xiumin. I'll leave you to choose. I'm here to show you to your room," he explained.

Since I made no effort to move, or speak any further, he sighed, turned and motioned me to follow him. 

"You will be working with the rest of us. Cooking, cleaning, whatever the boss needs you to do. I suspect since you're a girl, you'll start working with the maids, so expect some heavy duty cleaning," he explained as I tried my best to keep up with him. He was familiar with these hallways. Though it was dark, he had no trouble finding the way. 

"You are a girl, right?" He asked tentatively, and I realized he had been glancing at me carefully as we travelled the halls.

My face scrunched up in distaste. "Yes, is it not that obvious?" I said, huffing with a pout.

"I'm sorry," he said with a muffled laugh. "The hair kinda made me second guess myself. And it's dark."

"Well, I didn't choose this," I muttered softly, running my hand carefully through my hair.

His face went solemn for a moment as he took my hand and have it a reassuring squeeze, noticing my change of expression. "None of us really did."

We walked on for a bit more before my curiosity got the best of me.

"What about..."  I paused, unsure of whether he knew the answer. "What about Yifan?"

"The young master?" He responded, giving me a confused look. "I don't know. I suppose you'll do his laundry, maybe see him roaming around. Call him young master by the way. The new mistress would have your head if she heard you call him that."

"But he told me to call him that..." I muttered softly. Minseok didn't hear.

The corridors were lighted better farther in, and we arrived to a small living space, with a table and two benches. 

"This is the rest room, though, I doubt you'll be here often," he said, and I noticed his bitterness.

"I have to drop you off at the girls' wing, but Jessica should be there to guide you further. Wish you well, see you around Soojin," he told her with a charming smile. 

"Thank you, Minseok," I said, giving him a small wave.

He had left me at a corner, and I didn't have to walk far before I bumped into someone new. 

She was probably twelve, or thirteen even. I eyed her long, dark brown hair with envy as I started to reach to grab my own, then realizing it wasn't long enough to play with anymore. 

"Jessica?" I guessed, a bit intimidated by her serious expression.

She nodded. "Soojin, I'm guessing?"

"Yes," I nodded.

"Come on, you're bunking with me," she said curtly, turning quickly and expecting me to follow.

I did so quickly, trailing after her as we weaved through more halls. 

"How many people work here? And these are just the girls?" I wondered with awe. My old apartment was one room, split between a living space and a kitchen. But this place was gigantic, above and beneath ground.

"Not everyone here is a maid. These aren't... Resting quarters," she said coldly, but her resentfulness wasn't directed at me, it was to this place.

I soon understood what she meant, hearing the unspeakable coming from the rooms. The air was thick with makeup and cheap perfume. It was making me feel sick. 

"Here we are," Jessica stopped, thankfully, far away from the noisy hallways.  "You get the right side. Left's mine. I'm going to bed, so goodnight," she said rather stoically, but she seemed very worn out, so I didn't take it personally. 

She curled up on the creaky twin sized bed and Jessica was out in a matter of minutes. I couldn't decide if that was from exhaustion or she just enjoyed sleep that much. 

I sat on mine, it giving a chorus of squeaks before supporting my weight. The walls used to have a wallpaper, but they were worn and mostly torn away. The floor looked like it hadn't been swept in ages and there was musty scent she couldn't quite distinguish. 

I moved to lay down, the bed creaking again, and then rested my head on a flat, beat up pillow. As I pulled my blanket to my face, I looked right, realizing Jessica was in fact not asleep, and staring right at me. 

"Welcome home, princess," she yawned, then closed her eyes to sleep.

And what a home it was.

 

*Notes*
Hello my friends! Again, I'm sorry this story is progressing so slowly, and thanks for subscribing anyway and dealing with me haha

I have a lot on my plate right now with school and extracurriculars, so I'm not home often, and when I am, I'm doing a "blessing" they call "homework". 

I'm trying my very best, and ill try harder to update at least once a week:)

Onto the story! Yay! Minseok and Jessica have been introduced. Yes, it's Xiumin/Minseok from EXO and Jessica from SNSD. 

Reminder as well: they are still kids. There's just some backstory stuff that I need to give before we jump to the future. Kris obviously isn't a sociopath yet. Key word: YET (evil laughter) 

Thanks for staying with me lovelies, you're all awesome. Comment and I'll respond:) You upvoters are also the best<3 Welcome to any new subbies:D

See ya next update;)
(Which hopefully will be sooner than last time)