Take Care

Gravity

(Narrator's POV)

 
Food can change people, and Kris was no exception. 
 
The way he stared at the bowl when Soojin passed it to him was akin to the way a hobo would look if someone just handed him a gold bar. His first spoonfuls were methodical, as he savored Soojin's cooking, but as the meal continued he attacked the food and even wanted seconds. The warm porridge seemed to wake him up, his face actually seemed to be more vibrant after his last spoonful.
 
Soojin found all this incredibly amusing, but her mind was much more occupied wondering why he was being so cryptic, and of course why she had ended up in his bed.
 
"That hits the spot," he sighed, setting his spoon down, slouching back into the dining chair. Soojin moved to take his plate, but he waved her away and took it himself. It was like he wanted her to wait, to prolong her anxiety for as long as he could.
 
She waited for what seemed like forever, because he had also gone to thoroughly wash his dishes. When he stepped back into the dining room, she thought she saw the ghost of a smile on his face.
 
He sat still for a few moments, just staring at her. When Soojin couldn't take it anymore, and she was about to burst and ask what, he began to speak.
 
"Since you've held up your promise, I will hold up my end," he began, clearing his throat. 
 
Soojin stared at him quietly, her eyes urging him to go on.
 
"Soojin," he said, his tone and expression suddenly much more serious. "You can't keep waiting up for me. I've already told you not to."
 
A guilty blush crept it's way to her face, and before she could protest or defend herself, he continued.
 
"What if I had left you there, on the stairs, and in the morning your co-workers found you and reported you to the foreman? You have a curfew, and I'm pretty sure you were already breaking it. But if you were found, there would be consequences. Not to mention your muscles would've been sore and you'd probably have an annoying kink in your neck. Didn't you think of any of this?" He asked, looking at her with a small amount of frustration, but also confusion.
 
Soojin was silent for a moment. Then in a quiet voice, she said, "So you took me to your room..."
 
Kris blinked. "Yes."
 
"To keep me from trouble...?"
 
"Your performance would've been greatly affected by the consequences of your poor decision. Who would make my lunch then? Would I have gotten my porridge? I would probably have to go through the trouble of getting used to a new personal maid while you were getting punished. Your actions would've brought me a lot of inconvenience," he listed off, not noticing the fall of her face in the slightest.
 
He waited for her to respond, giving her an open silence to give her input. She was staring at her lap for so long he was about to sigh and end it there, but she looked up at him.
 
"I'm just... Worried about you," she said in a small voice. He didn't respond, wanting her to continue, and speak more.
 
"I know you do all these crazy and dangerous things, and one of these days you are going to get hurt. I wouldn't be able to sleep well knowing that maybe you didn't come home because something happened, or that you had hurt yourself coming in, or gotten into a car accident. What would happen then, Yifan? What would you expect me to do?" she vented, gaining confidence with every word, regardless of his intense gaze.
 
"What you always do," he said casually. "Take care of me."
 
Soojin blinked with surprise, one with his trust in her, and two with how casually he handled the possibilities. Though, he was a CEO, such trivial what if's were a waste of time. 
 
"I need you to take care of yourself so you can take care of me. So, if you really are worried and want to care for me, care for yourself."
 
"O-Okay," she stuttered, nodding her head quickly.
 
He gave her a small smile and then, he felt his phone buzz. His face returned to it's usual poker face as he read the text. He let out a deep sigh and made a move to stand. 
 
"Always on my day off," she heard him mutter. "The office needs me, go continue your day. I'm sure you have chores to make up for. Don't wait up for me," he instructed.
 
She nodded and watched him take his leather jacket from the hallway closet and walk out the door. She sighed, stood, and walked out of the dining room.
 
 
 
Soojin ignored the curious glances many of the maids gave her throughout the day, hearing their whispers and trying to pay no heed to them. Some of the girls were jealous, but many of them knew of their childhood friendship, as odd as their relationship was now.
 
She washed his laundry, including the shirt she had worn all night. She still blushed at the sight if it. Quickly throwing it in with all the other clothes, she put the load to wash, and stepped out for some air. 
 
Minseok was working outside, as usual, bent over some garden, pulling out the weeds. He noticed her presence and looked up from his work, wiping the sweat from his forehead. 
 
"Where's Kris?" He asked, standing up now, cleaning the dirt off his hands. 
 
"He went back to work," Soojin responded, in a quiet voice. Minseok rolled his eyes.
 
"He'll never learn, that bastard," he murmured.
 
"Minseok!" Soojin scolded, and he met her gaze with intensity.
 
"Don't defend him Soojin, you know exactly what he gets himself into, willingly," he said.
 
She was silenced. She knew he was right, she knew nothing excused his actions, but...
 
"I still need to take care of him," she said softly.
 
Minseok heard her and whipped his head toward her. "Soojin, don't coddle him. Stop lying to yourself-"
 
"Regardless of everything, that's my job, Minseok," Soojin snapped, leaving Minseok stunned. "And I will keep my word. We aren't kids anymore, I know that. The stakes he plays aren't just a game, and neither are the promises I make. He protected me when I was weak, now it's my turn for when he's being an idiot," she finished, a small smile spreading despite herself.
 
Minseok paused a moment, taking her words in. He sighed, "you've always been so kind Soojin, too kind..."
 
She smirked. "I'll work on it." Turning to leave, she stopped when Minseok took hold of her wrist.
 
"Be careful, if something ever happened to you Soojin, I'd-" he paused as Soojin put her hand on his. 
 
"I know," she told him softly. "Don't worry Minseok, regardless of everything that's changed, he's still Wu Yifan, I know it." 
 
Minseok sighed as she walked away, and he crouched down close to the earthy soil again. Pulling out a few more weeds, he shook his head with a sigh. 
 
"That's exactly what I'm worried about."
 
 
 
 
*Notes*
I'm not dead!!!
Well okay, maybe just a little. I felt kinda motivated so I finished this draft I had for this chapter. I'm not gonna make any promises, as I have a lot going on and haven't been too up to date with fan fiction anyway, but here y'all go:)
 
See you next chapter;)