#8 Smiling Eyes, Tingling Feeling

Living With the Love of My Life

January 2013

It was snowy that morning. Junhee looked out from her room’s window. She just brushed her teeth and washed her face. She walked to her desk then closed the lapotop lid. It was half past eight, she got up early enough for people who went to bed at three in the morning after helping her senior editor checking the spelling of a young novelist’ draft.

 

She sat crossed-leg on her bed and checked her phone. She was surprised by the number of missed calls and messages from a certain number. She read the messages one by one then realized she might be got too immersed working in front of her laptop until she didn’t know him calling. She typed her reply then came down to have breakfast.

 

It had been two weeks after she agreed to give a try. Wu Yifan was kind and gentle. He was also very attentive, even in the midst of busy work he still had contacted Junhee to just listen to her grumbling about Starbucks queue was too long, or about her professor canceling a class suddenly. Junhee was surprised with herself, how come she was so easy to get comfortable with this man. They were both open to each other. Within two weeks, they could find out basic information such as favorite food, favorite color, hobbies and interests. This was a good progress, isn’t it?

 

But Baekhee a lot because of this good progress and that was annoying. In a good way.

 

 

“I don’t think so” he said to someone on the other line. “Tell them that their offerings are very unreasonable. If they don’t agree, they can meet me here in my office after lunch” Yifan hung up the phone and loosen his tie.

 

His father's business were a hotel group and a financing company. His father, who worked from home, was still the chairman, the king of the business kingdom his family owned. The financing company, Shinhan Financing Company, run by her father’s younger brother under his father’s supervision. As CEO of Grand Ambassador Seoul, he was still nothing compared to his father. Yifan got a super headache because of the absurd offerings from a business partner for the renovation of the lobby lounge.

 

His secretary came in after a few minutes, informing a representative from the partner company would come to discuss about the project at two. He almost massaged his forehead in front of him as if showing the headache he had. Of course he mustn’t do that, so he just muttered uncoherent okay then thanked him.

 

He turned in his chair and sighed deeply. It was still eleven past a few minutes and his head felt so dizzy. He regretted his decision to work all night, so no time for breakfast. Last time he checked his phone this morning, it was off as run out of battery. The charging should had been done by now, he thought then unplugged the charger and turned it on. He left in on his table beside his arm then started working again.  It buzzed a few times, popping the messages he got. One from his mother, one from his yoda cousin and the last one could made his heart bursted out of happines. A big smile started to form as he read it.

 

From : Junhee

Received 11:24 AM

Morning to you too. I guess you were working overtime too last night.

I was just enjoying the snow from my window and remember my morning greeting for you.

Hope we will have a good day to share later after this busy day has passed.

 

 

“Do you think it’s appropriate enough?” Junhee asked Baekhee while showing a tie in her hand. “I like this one better than that one”

 

“Good choice, Miss Kim Junhee” Baekhee answered with teasing tone. Lately, she had been fond of calling Junhee with that nickname. “Just buy that and go with me to get that killer eyeliner, hm?”

 

Junhee only laughed silently then handed the tie to the salesgirl. She felt her phone vibrating and fished it out. A shy smile appeared on her face after reading the text received.

 

“Ohoooo” Baekhee as she scooted closer. “So, how’s our Junhee’s dating life going?”

 

Junhee got startled and shoved her phone in her bag immidiately then looked at Baekhee with cute surprised expression. “What?” she asked, trying to dodge, but seeing Baekhee glared cutely at her, she gave up. “Of course, this goes like people do approach” Junhee went to the cashier to pay and two minutes later came back to Baekhee’s side.

 

“Is he good to you?”

 

“So far, yeah. He is very understanding and attentive. Sometimes he will be a little upset if I eat late, well something like that”.

 

“That’s good then,” Baekhee felt relieved. “no wonder your father approved him”

 

 

“No second chance?” She asked Yifan in wavering voice. She looked at him timidly.

 

Yifan nodded. “Yes” he said firmly.

 

Silent.

 

Silent.

 

“Okay”

 

He was surprised. “Okay?”

 

Junhee nodded. “Okay,” she repeated. Yifan couldn’t help smiling, his heart beated faster. “but,...”

 

“Yes? It’s okay, you can tell me?”

 

“Emm.. can we take it easy and not show it in public? People know you and your reputation, I just don’t like being center of attention”

 

Yifan’s smile got wider and his gaze softened even more. Yifan knew that Junhee was still young and wanted to do whatever she liked and Yifan didn’t want to stop her. He could feel her insecurity and it was his duty to make her believe him. “I don’t see a reason why we can’t do that” he caressed her hand with his thumb lovingly. “Thank you”

 

Yifan smiled remembering what happened the other day. Her shy smile and rosy cheeks were really beautiful until Yifan wanted to kiss her here and there. Of course he didn’t want Junhee to get scared of him so he held back.

 

Speaking of which, he was nine year older than her. A deep frowned eppeared on his forehead. How should he overcome this . Junhee was still in her early twenties. Yifan knew Junhee must be wanted to be free to try and experience everything, he didn’t want to hold her. He would support her, giving everything he had and doing whatever he could to help her.

 

Yifan let out a heavy sigh then looked at the papers on his table. He should work again or he wouldn’t have chat time with Junhee later.

 

 

“Wow, I’m really glad that I popped out on your mind when you’re working” Junhe murmured while typing on her phone.

 

Baekhee looked at smiling Junhee curiously. “Have you tried to filrt? Add some cute emoticon or send a picture of you instead of sending a plain text like that”

 

“You know that I’m not really good at doing things like that” Junhee said calmly, calming herself not to get too excited waiting a message from a certain young man. “I do appreciate him being very thoughtful, you know”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Hmm, how should I say this?” Junhee showed thinking pose with a finger tapping her chin. “Is it because of his age? He is calm, warm, gentle and careful with me. He is being serious with our only-one-chance thing”

 

“Junnie, let’s not assume anything because of his age, okay? It might hurt his feelings” Baekhee saw Junhee taken aback. “He may be nine years older than you, he has experienced more things than us, he had felt more things than us. Okay, physically he's older, but that doesn’t he is mentally that old. He also could be hurt if we are talking about something not nice about him”

 

Junhee lowered her head, feeling guilty and ashamed. Baekhee was right. She had been questioning herself lately how she should face the huge . They would find difficulties to balance each other.

 

“Don’t be too sad. You both will find a way” Baekhee patted her head twice then Junhee leaned to her and hugged her. “How will you spend Valentine Day? It’s in two weeks”

 

“No talk about that yet” Junhee said weakly. “He has been busy with the lobby lounge remodelling”

 

Baekhee smiled. “Good, that’s right, Jun. Knowing what your partner is busy with isn’t that bad. You need that in relationship. Maybe you can make a lunch box for him”

 

“Baekkie, you sound so good at this. It looks like you’re experienced this thing yourself” Junhee saw Baekhee diverting her eyes, suddenly became awkward. “You’re not saying that you’re seeing someone behind me, right?”

 

“What? No!”

 

“No?”

 

“No” Baekhee said as she got up and left her bestfriend.

 

“Hey Baekkie, tell me! Yah!”