Chapter 1 (Backstory)

Because of scars and long sleeved sweatshirts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi guys! Thanks for all the sweet comments and wow, I never expected this many subscribers??!!! This is the first chapter, and it’s REALLY long. It includes the backstory for Neo, and I have really tried to fit as much real stuff in there as possible even though the whole hakyeon losing his mom part of course isn’t true. I didn’t exactly know when the members all joined Jellyfish though, so I tried to make it as accurate as possible, but yeah… Anyways… Not much angst in this chapter either, since it’s the back story to why Hakyeon started getting depressed.


 

Cha Hakyeon grew up in a nice house, with a nice family, in a nice neighbourhood. He went to a nice school, got nice grades, and was friends with other nice kids that his parents liked. Until he was 12, he never went outside his nice neighbourhood alone, and he never broke the rules that his nice parents had set for him. But not even a week after his 12th birthday, Hakyeon finds himself suddenly jolted awake as the bus he's on comes to an abrupt halt and he face plants the glass screen in front of his seat. He swears, but not a really bad swear but rather a soft 'Darn it', and rubs his nose, soft red lips pouting and quivering from the pain. There's a nice impression of his face on the glass he notices, complete with a childlike pout. He rubs it away with the sleeve of his new school uniform that his mother had spent hours pressing 'til perfection for the meeting with his fathers boss in Seoul.  

"Oi, kid! This is the final stop, get off!"

Hakyeon looks up at the bus driver, who's looking at him through the rear mirror with dark, pig like eyes. He swallows and bows, grabbing his bag with tiny, sweaty fists before hurrying off the bus. The doors close behind him with an echoing bang, and before Hakyeon even realises he's not home in his nice neighbourhood in Changwon, the bus has already driven off, leaving him alone on the sidewalk.

This tiny 12 year old kid that has never been more than four blocks from his house alone stares up at a huge apartment complex and swallows hard. He has no idea where he is, or where his mom has disappeared to. He's all alone. Furring his small eyebrows he tries to retrace his steps to figure out how to get back to where his mother could find him. He knew that they had arrived in Seoul with the train early in the afternoon, and his mother had bought him a juice box, even though Hakyeon wanted banana milk. Hakyeon's mother though that Banana Milk was bad for your brain, and so it was forbidden in their nice family's nice life. The Cha kids drank juice and health drinks instead, and so that was what she gave Hakyeon as a snack while they walked to the bus stop. She had told him to hold onto her hand, and he had listened, even though he really was too old to hold hands with his mother. Seoul was big and scary, and the people in it seemed to know that Hakyeon didn't belong there. They scared him, so he kept close to his mother, holding on to her shirt 'til his knuckles whitened. After that, they had found the bus stop, he remembered. But then Hakyeons mother got a phone call, and so she told him to go sit on the bus while she took her call. Hakyeon doesn't really remember much after going on board the bus. It had been so hot inside the bus, and little Hakyeon was the sort of child that got sleepy in heat. He must have fallen asleep, and the bus must have driven off while his mother was still on the phone. Now he was alone, somewhere in Seoul. He didn't have a cellphone like his Hyung and Noona's did, and he didn't even know his parents cell phone numbers. How on earth was he supposed to find his parents?

Hakyeon looks around, as if a solution would appear if he just looked hard enough, but find no help in the cold concrete buildings around him. He's going to die, he thinks and bites his lip to hold in the tears. He was too young to die! He didn't drink a single package of Banana milk, and he didn't even get to go with his hyung to see the new spiderman movie yet! Hakyeon snuffles and rubs his eyes with the back of his hand. That's when he hears it. There's music coming from behind the big apartment complex in front of him. He can hear what sounds like cheering, and he gets curious. At least cheering had to meant there were people there, right? Then maybe there was someone there that could help him find his mother.

Cautiously, he walks up to the house and peeks around the corner. Theres a small group of kids there, some probably in their last years of high school and some even younger than Hakyeon. One of them is holding a big CD player, and it's connected to a long line of extension cords that lead up to one of the apartments in the big house behind them. As Hakyeon dares come closer he sees that they're standing in a ring, and there's a boy in the middle that's doing some strange movements.

Hakyeon worries that maybe this boy is having one of those seizures that he's heard of from his mother, but the other kids are cheering and seem to think that whatever the boy is doing is cool. Intrigued, Hakyeon walks closer yet, but someone suddenly grabs the neck of his uniform and the force almost strangles him. Hakyeon yelps and spins around to look at his attacker. It's a boy, who has to be around Hakyeon's age. He has beautiful dark eyes that have turned to thin slits as he looks disapprovingly at Hakyeon, and his skin is tanned. Hakyeon has never seen anyone so pretty in his life.

"You're not from here," The boy says, and Hakyeon nearly s his pants, because wow, the boy looked like a scary assassin, but he had the voice of a fairy prince.

Hakyeon shakes his head no and the boy grimaces.

"Who are you?" He asks.

"I'm Hakyeon," Hakyeon says, before looking back at the other kids again. "What are they doing there?"

He turns to point at the circle of kids, where a girl has now changed places with the boy, and she's doing the same type of movements he did earlier. The boy with the dark eyes looks in the direction he's pointing and scuffs.

"Dancing."

Hakyeon hums along with the song that's playing and tries to follow some of the moves that the girl is doing, but it's hard, and she's too fast for him. He hears the other boy scuff again.

"You must be from really far away," He says, and then he grabs Hakyeons hand and pulls him with him to the other kids.

"Noona," He says, and three of the girls, including the one that was dancing just now, look up to watch them walk closer. "This is Hakyeon. He doesn't know what dancing is." Hakyeon feels his pale face redden as he blushes all over, and some of the kids snicker.

"Hakyeon? Where are you from?" One of the girls is looking straight at Hakyeon, and she smiles a soft, motherly smile.

"Changwon," Hakyeon says. The kids all get suddenly silent.

"Changwon?" Another girl says. "Then, where are your parents?"

Hakyeon grimaces and explains how he fell asleep, and didn't exactly know where he was. During his story, he can feel the boy with the black eyes squeezing his arm softly, as if to reassure him. His noonas all look at each other when Hakyeon is done, and then one of them pulls up a cell phone from her pocket. She dials a number and waits for a few seconds until someone picks up on the other end.

"Mom," She then says. "There's a kid here who fell asleep on the buss and lost his mom, so I'm gonna bring him down to the lost children place at Seoul station, kay?"

Her mother says something, and the girl reassures her that Hakyeon isn't hurt, and that he just  wants to find his mom. Then, she hangs up and smiles down at Hakyeon.

She ruffles his hair and explains that they'll be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter