On the Train

처음 만나서 반갑다 ~Nice to Meet You~

The first time he noticed it, he was standing in a train.

Sometimes TaekWoon likes to take public transportation. He doesn’t have to pay attention to anything except which stop he’ll need to get off, so he can bide his time either playing on his phone or just watching the dizzying scenery fly past through the window. Sometimes, even, there are strange things to be observed while riding a bus or train.

“Oh, halmoni, you can sit here.”

TaekWoon instantly jumped to his feet as soon as the elder stepped into the car. She thanked him, sliding into the seat he had previously occupied, as he easily reached up to hold on to the railing above them. Being tall sometimes had its perks.

They rode along for a while, no one paying attention to anyone else. And then it happened.

He almost mistook the odd feeling for a usual stop, the train gradually slowing down before it reached the platform of the station, but it was wrong. The old trains usually lurched and rattled on the tracks, the cease to a stop never fluid and graceful. No, this time it was a single, gradual motion. TaekWoon blinked. It wasn’t yet time for the train to stop. They still had some time until they reached the next station, and there weren’t any crossroads where the train would need to stop for traffic.

No. The train slowed, almost to a halt. It started to go backwards.

What?!

It didn’t last long, but it was long enough to be noticeable, as if some super-cosmic being dragged the train back in its slow inhale and let the train continue as it sighed. If anything, the motion was nothing very alarming.

No, but trains don’t usually backtrack on the rails just for the fun of it.

“Wah!”

TaekWoon stumbled as the train pushed forward again, almost losing his grip on the metal handrail. Surely, surely, everyone else would have noticed what had just happened, but there were only a few murmurs of surprise, the train car bouncing on its shocks thus causing the occupants to jostle a bit in their seats and on their feet. On the other hand, TaekWoon was frazzled. Was this some complicated, Harry Potter stunt? Trains just can’t suddenly go backwards. It goes against the laws of physics.

He darted his eyes around, trying to see if anyone else was as discombobulated as he was. No one spared him any attention, most glued to their phones or staring blankly at nothing at all. One guy seemed to have noticed the awkward scene TaekWoon had made, but he immediately redirected his glance elsewhere, uninterested.

Nervous spikes were jabbing through his chest, so TaekWoon forced himself to calm down and focus on breathing.

The train continued on, unhindered, moving forward, as usual.


A/N: Well, may as well get this started. Short intro I am apologize. Is it bad if I work on two fics at once? @_@ Yes it is what am I doing blargh In case you missed it, I very suddenly started writing this other Neo fic, A Man's Best Friend. Read it also, and have hearts.