The Princess and the Toad

EXO Fairytales

Prince Kris was not your average prince. He was definitely handsome, like all other princes, but he believed he was better than everyone else, even the Fairy King. The Fairy King heard of his words, and sent his wife, the Fairy Queen to take a look, and see if he was as handsome as he claimed he was.

That was a mistake on his part. The second the Fairy Queen laid eyes on him, she instantly fell in love. She was so smitten by him, that she told him she was in love with him, and she could give him anything he desired. Prince Kris, however, did not love the Fairy Queen and simply said he was much too handsome for her.

The Queen went back to her castle, full of rage. She told the King that it was true; Prince Kris had said he was more handsome than the Fairy King himself. However, she left out the part where she had tried to make him hers. The Fairy King was as angry as his wife was, and cast a magic spell on Prince Kris.

"I hereby declare that from today onwards, Prince Kris will become what he loathes to be! Prince Kris, at the of midnight, will become an ugly toad!" The Fairy King waved his hands, completing the spell. A bright green light appeared from between the Fairy King's hands, blinding everyone in the room temporarily. The light flew towards the castle where Prince Kris stayed, ready to do the bidding of its caster.

Ten minutes before the clock struck twelve, Prince Kris was standing at his window, staring outside. "I wonder what it's like for other people, who aren't as good looking as me." He sighed, and walked towards his bed. A sound rang out near the window, one that sounded like small bells ringing. He turned around and moved back to where he was.

All of a sudden, he was engulfed in a bright light, and he closed his eyes in an attempt to reduce the sheerness of it all. Soon, the light faded away, and Prince Kris was left standing there, all alone. He blinked twice, before scanning his surroundings. Nothing had changed, what had just happened?

In the distance, the bell tower rang twelve times, and Prince Kris began to feel very strange. He looked at the mirror nearest to him, and he noticed a dark green patch on his cheek. Before long, his entire body was covered in the same green. He gasped in horror, placing his hands on his cheek, only to find that they were no longer hands, but webbed feet.

He let out an anguished cry as he struggled to open the door and run out of the room. His feet soon became webbed, and he has to resort to hopping out of his castle. He made his way into the garden, and his body began to shrink. The only sound he could make was a ribbit, as he dove under a bush for safety.

A loud voice rang out in his head, saying, "Prince Kris, due to your narcissism, I, the great Fairy King have cast a spell on you. You will be an ugly toad, until a maiden is kind enough to help you by giving you a kiss. You will no longer be able to speak, until you meet her. Farewell."

The toad under the bush wept, but no one would ever care. He was all alone now, with nothing in the world. He did not know what to do, but to sit there and weep.

A few years later, Prince Kris was still an ugly toad. His parents had tried to search for him, once they found his room empty in the morning. Their soldiers and men had looked all around the country, only to come back to the castle empty handed. For days, Kris had heard the sounds of his mother weeping in her room near the garden. He hated that sound more than anything, but what could be done?

The only people who wanted him around were the gardeners, so that he could keep the insects away. Days had gone by, and Kris was giving up all hope. He was ugly, and no one would ever want him anymore.

Until one day, he spotted a girl, dressed in fine garments, come out to the garden. She was tossing a golden ball into her hands, one that was familiar to him. It was a symbol of his father's kingship, as far as he could remember. He stared, as she smiled brightly. She was undoubtedly a beautiful maiden, most likely a princess.

At that moment, she tripped on the floor, and released the ball from her grasp. The ball flew into the air, and landed into the well. The girl ran up to the edge of the well, before tears welled up in her eyes. "What am I going to do? I shouldn't have touched it in the first place…"

Kris leapt out of the bushes, furious. "How could you do that? That is very important to my father!" His little beady toad eyes widened, realising he could speak. So, she was the one who could help him? She looked at least five years younger than him.

The girl's eyes mimicked Kris' as she stared at him. "You're a talking frog?" "I'm a toad, big difference. Well, anyway, that golden ball was important! You should never have touched it."

The girl bit her lip, tears beginning to well up again. "I-it wasn't intentional, I never meant for that to happen!" Kris rolled his toad eyes to the best of his ability, and said, "I'll make a deal with you, I'll get you that ball, and you give me a kiss." The girl bit her lips again, obviously unsure. She sighed and relented, "I don't have a choice, I'll do it."

With that, Kris leapt into the well, and since he could do nothing but swim and eat flies, he was pretty darn quick. Within no time, he was back on the pavement of the garden in front of the maiden, rolling the ball over to her. "Now, my kiss, please." Kris looked at her, trying to look as serious as he possibly could.

The girl picked him up, and taking a deep breath, she pressed her lips to his.

They were engulfed in a bright light, one familiar to Kris. The duo closed their eyes, and the maiden felt her hand give way. The frog had become much heavier now, and she could no longer support his weight. The light faded, and they opened their eyes.

The princess saw a tall, handsome man in front of her. Having been in the castle before, she recognized him. "Y-you're Prince Kris, the one who's been missing for many years!" He touched his face, amazed at it was no longer rough, but smooth as it once was. He nodded, and said, "I was cursed for the past few years, my arrogance getting the better of me."

"So, now that I've been returned to my former state, would you like to accompany me back to the castle? I need to tell my mother and father that I've met my future wife."

 

 

 

"So, mom? Did Prince Kris marry the girl in the end?" "She did, and she ended up as a queen. She was a regular girl, just like you and me. Now, go to sleep."

The little girl crawled under her covers, as her mother placed a kiss on her forehead. She turned off the light and left the room, smiling to herself.

"Prince Kris, eh? It has a great ring to it." The woman clucked her tongue. "I was telling her a story about the princess and the toad."

"Well, you married this toad. You're stuck with me forever."

"I wouldn’t have it any other way."