Meet the friends: Jinhwan

Bobby and I

“ Here you go, one latte, one green tea smoothy and two cheese sandwiches.” He gives the customer a warm sweet smile as he hands out their orders.

“ Thank you, please enjoy the meal.” 

The customers who happen to be freshmen at nearby college take their order shyly and giggled each other as they walk out from the caffee.

“What did they give you this time?” Manager hyung nudge his arm with his elbow.

“This”  he opens his  hands to show his manager a peace of paper with a series of numbers on it.

His manager 't look surprise, “ As expected from you. Tell me, it’s the fifth of this week?”

“ Ninth.” He grins proudly as he sticks the note under the cash machine.

“Are you even a human?” His manager scoffs and gives him that look. “ now go, our design team must be waiting for their caffein shot.”

“ Yes, sir. “

His manager hands him the delivery boxes.

“Come back right away. Don’t ever think to hit on those noonas.”

“Arasso!”  “ I just want to say hi to that noona.”

The elevator door opens in the fifth floor, right where the design team belongs. As he walks in, he put the order at the nearest table and wait there untill someone spot him. His eyes are scaning through the room.  Every one looks so freaking busy and that noona is nowhere to be seen.

“Coffee” he said half timidly.

A good looking guy finally spots him and calling out a name.

“O, uri Jinhwanie is already here?”

A  girl suddenly comes out from behind  a pile of fabrics and greet him. 

“ That’s her”  jinhwan gives her his brightest smile

“ Is my special order here?”

 Even with a pencil tucked between her ear and some of hair strains escaped from her messy bun, she still looks pretty to him.

“ It’s in there, noona. I’ve separated it from the other.”

“ Jinhwanie, anyeong *hi*.” Another pretty noona passes by and greet him. But he likes this noona better.

“ You know i do really want to walk my self to your place(cafe). But you see, it’s getting frenzy here.”

She takes out some money from her purse and stuck it into his hands.

“ Take the changes.” 

“ This time too, noona? You gave me alot already.” Jinhwan look at the amount of changes he should give.

“Buy your self some dinner and keep your money to buy some book you need.” 

She grabs the coffee boxes and begins to deliver it to the owners, “espresso for our team leader. Caramel macchiato for Inha unnie, and this is your sunbae, cheese burger.”

Jinhwan still stands there looking at that noona, amazed, grateful.

“I want to give my whole luck to be her brother. Goddamn lucky brat whoever is her dongsaeng.”

 

*Mean while at the school*

 

“ Ya, Kimbab! Here, give me the ball.”

It is the second break time in Victory high. The boys, as always, make sure their growth hormones don’t go on waste by playing basketball.

Bobby tries to dodge his opponent to score by himself despite Hanbin’s continue scream to pass  him the ball. When he’s about to make a lay up his opponent knocks him to the ground.

“!” He grunts while holding his foot.

“ You ok, man?” Hanbin reaches out his hand to help bobby up.

“ I’m ok”

“ Holly crab!” Hanbin shouts as he looks at what happen with bobby’s foot.

“ You really make enough hole to get your toes freezes.” Hanbin shut his mouth with his hands and laugh so hard.

“ Aish, jeongmal. I’ve been trough a lot to get this sneaker.” His soul seems flying out of him as he sees his toes sneak out from the hole.

“ You can always get another one from noona, she surely will buy you a new one.”

“ Yeah, my noona loves me so much.” 

Bobby falls on his , hugging his knees and sob. He still remembers clearly of what errand you made him did last summer. He would never going back to that place and meet that friend of yours anymore.

 

 

*Later that day in the evening when you off from work*

 

The boy was sitting at the bus stop. He put in his hands in his pocket, sometimes would rub on his nose because of the could weather. It’s been an hour or so but he didn't get in any bus.

“Omo, you’re here?” you flopped beside him.

The boy looked at you seemed surprised. He then moved aside as if to give you more space.

“We’ve been taking the bus together a coupe of time, but I never see you drop off before me. Is your home farther than mine?”

“No, I drop off after two stops from yours.”

“Ah, I see. Then, we should have taken the same bus in the morning. But I never see you.”

“Well, mmm... I rarely take on the bus at the office hour. Sometimes I would go earlier or some minutes later.” He answered your question nervously. Sometimes he would look at you as he talked or just having a quick glance. You found him so cute.

Suddenly the rain started pouring. Some people who just walked by previously now rushing to take a shelter in the bus stop. As many people crumpling under the not so big shelter, you were pushed aside by a man who just flopped beside you, almost sitting on you.

The boy threw his hand carefully over your knees.

“ I’m sorry, Ahjussi, but you should be careful where you sit on.” 

“ What?! It started raining suddenly and I just rushed over to not getting wet. How come I have a time to look around.” The man fired back.

“WOOFF WOOFF!”

Suddenly a large Australian Shepperd who happen to stand in front of the man was barking at him.

“WOOF WOOF!”

“Ya! What’s with this dog.” The man surely looked afraid by the big furry animal.

“ I’m sorry, he’s a very well trained dog. He would just growling at bad people. He’s trained to do so.” Said the tall man who held the dog’s leash. But as soon as he said the that, the dog went “ GRRRR....” at the Ahjussi.

“ What a crazy dog!” as he said that the Ahjussi went away despite the rain.

“ WOOF! WOOF!”

“ Ya, Gary ah. It’s enough. I won’t take you for a walk again if you keep doing this.”

“ WOOF! WOOF!” he said as he’s wagging on his tail.

“ Eyy,, yes, you did a good job.” The tall man gave him a dog’s food from his pocket and he all over the man’s hand.

“ Aigoo,,, You’re so cute.” you brush all over his head and he kept wagging on his tail.

“ Noona, it’s our bus.” The boy tapped on your shoulder as your bus pulled over.

“ O, see ya.” You waved at the furry friend but His owner were waving back at you instead. You couldn't help but smiling awkwardly.

There was only one vacant spot and the boy insisted for you to take it while he stood beside you.

“ Your destination is farther than mine. You should be the one sitting.”

“ How come I’m allowed to make a woman standing?”

Well, you didn't know that he would say that. Of course you’re unprepared, in fact you’ve never been in that kind situation, being treated that way by a younger man. Your mind went away to another younger boy. You wished he could be a bit like this boy. But you know that it would be too good to dream of, so that’s why you text him this way.

“ Ya, are you home? I’m on my way but I don’t have my umbrella with me. Wait for me at the bust stop. ASAP!”

The boy stole a glance at your phone. He was curious by whom you texted, but he could’t see it clearly.

After 15 minutes, you could see your stop and there’s already someone standing there with an umbrella. Even his face was hidden, you could tell by the way he stood that it’s him.

“ It’s my stop.” The bus pulled over slowly. The boy moved aside as you stood up.

“ It’s still raining, Noona. Do you have an umbrella?” 

“ Nah, it’s ok. I’ve asked someone to pick me up. Don’t worry. See you tomorrow, Jinhwan ah. Don’t catch a cold.” 

He watched you hopped off from the bus run to the bus stop. He saw that there’s already someone who waiting for you with his umbrella. He kept watching even when the bus had been slowly moving, when that man/ boy took your bag from your shoulder just to put it on his own, and how you smile so brightly as you linked your hand in his arm.

If only you could see the look on Jinhwan’s face. How perplexed he was about that scene.

He dropped him self slowly on the seat you’ve left. He took a deep breath as if to get rid of the stone in his chest. “ You’re so dumb, Jinhwan ah. How could you think a woman like her doesn't have a boyfriend.”

 

*Mean while...

 

“ What happen to you today? It’s very strange to have you home before me.” You’re keeping close to him to avoid the water dripping at the edge of the umbrella, “ You didn't even answer my text earlier.”

“ I didn't have time to text back. I run outside as soon as I read your text. See, I’m still wearing my slippers.”

You looked down on his feet. He’s true, he was on his slippers, and the road made  a small river as the rain kept pouring. Of course you didn't want to prise him easily so that’s why you tried to hide your smile for his good deed.

Mean while in Bobby’s head, he kept thinking on how he can pursue you to  buy him a new sneaker, again. But he only comes up with the idea to keep your mood by being a good boy for now.

“ New sneaker..”  he accidently mumbling to him self

“ What did you say?” you look at him.

“ What? I say nothing.”