Chapter 8

But I Can't Tell You If You Run Away

After the initial shock, Kyungsoo tries to look for Jongin in the places where he has found him before.

First, he goes to the stairs of their floor, which are very empty and without traces of any boy. He tries to look for him at the park then, squinting his eyes hard as he looks through his big bedroom window, but finds it very empty too. And after only two attempts, he gives up.

Kyungsoo isn’t giving up on Jongin, of course not, but he doesn’t have any other place where he can look for him and that fact is so so scary. Jongin can really disappear as if he has never been here in the first place and Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to do anymore.

In the meantime, his mother comes to his room to tell him it’s time for bed. She helps him get inside the covers and kisses him goodnight, turning off the light after and leaving the room, closing the door behind her.

On his bed, Kyungsoo turns from side to side, incapable of quieting down. Dread is growing inside his chest like a bindweed, its vines wrapping themselves tightly around Kyungsoo’s heart and suffocating him more with each passing moment. He can’t fall asleep, not like this.

What about Jongin? Where is he?

Eventually, he decides to get out of the bed and ends up walking around his room to calm himself down.

It doesn’t work.

Somewhere along the way he steps on the crumbs. The stupid crumbs that his mother didn’t even check to see if they were clean before she put him to bed. This was all the crumbs fault, if they didn’t exist Jongin wouldn’t have gone away.

He keeps his foot there, feeling them under his weight, a bitter feeling settling down in the back of his mouth. Why couldn’t Jongin just quietly clean the crumbs instead of getting angry at him? Was he even angry? He didn’t scream, he hardly got mad, he just said some words and a small goodbye and disappeared.

Kyungsoo doesn’t understand. Is it that easy for Jongin to say goodbye and never come back again?

His heart squishes a little more inside his chest and the air gets stuck in his lungs, making his head dizzy and eyes unfocused.

Kyungsoo doesn’t want Jongin to go away. He is his favourite best friend.

In the end, he gets inside the wardrobe in Jongin’s things former place and sits down, that’s where he finally finds some peace – the closer to Jongin that he can be at the moment. The wardrobe isn’t very spacious so when Kyungsoo closes the door with only him on the inside he immediately gets sadder. Jongin had to be in this small space for long periods many times to hide himself and although Kyungsoo doesn’t see a way to have avoided it, he also feels disgusted with himself for having allowed it. This is no better than a prison. It doesn’t have light, it doesn’t even have space to stretch his legs.

I’m not a servant you can hide in the wardrobe’, Jongin’s last words keep ringing on his head and Kyungsoo feels sick. He is not, Jongin is not. Kyungsoo never saw him like that! How thoughtless has he been to make Jongin think like that?

Different paths of running tears mark Kyungsoo’s cheeks and the boy hugs his knees close to his chest in search of comfort.

In his mind Kyungsoo can only see the fragile kind dirty boy that he brought home all those months ago. Jongin had been so weak back then that eating something as simple as fried vegetables made his stomach hurt. He had had bruises all over his torso and rough hands from that man that was after him and the cold during the nights.

The man!

Oh, no! And if the man finds Jongin before he has a chance to?

Kyungsoo gets out of the wardrobe hastily and looks at his alarm clock. It’s been forty-three minutes.

He can’t wait anymore, Jongin could be in danger so he does the first thing that he thinks that can help him right now, he runs to find Joonmyeon.

 

He is not being careful and his parents are still up, but when Kyungsoo reaches their floor hall he, absentmindedly, notices that because of their lack of reaction they must not have heard him.

He rings Joonmyeon’s doorbell some times before his mother appears to open the door.

“Kyungsoo-yah? Are you okay darling?” She asks surprised.

“Is Joonmyeon up? I need to talk to him. It’s an emergency!” He speaks hurriedly as he peeks behind her into the apartment to find a trace of the other boy.

“Oh? At this time? He was about to go to bed, but it must be really important for you to be here now. Go on.” She kindly says as she steps aside to let the boy come in.

Once he has permission, he all but runs straight to Joonmyeon’s bedroom without a second look at anything or anyone else. He finds the other boy sitting on his bed already half under the covers.

“Hyung,” Kyungsoo calls him from the doorway, desperation making his voice foreign in his own ears.

The older boy jumps a little at the unexpected familiar voice and in shock he focuses his wide eyes on Kyungsoo’s figure at the entry of his bedroom. “Kyungsoo-yah?” He tries, not believing what his eyes are seeing.

“Hyung,” Kyungsoo repeats, this time as if begging the older for something. He doesn’t let Joonmyeon react though and jumps to his bed, searching for comfort in the older boy’s arms as he hugs him by his middle. “Hyung, do something please. Before it’s too late.” Unable to stop himself, tears gather quickly in his eyes and fall down his cheeks with each new blink. He presses his face into Joonmyeon pyjamas in an attempt to hide them from the older boy.

Saying Joonmyeon is stunned doesn’t even begin to explain it. Has Kyungsoo called him hyung? The boy who for his nine years of existence stubbornly refused to address him even once by the correct term is calling him hyung now?

In his arms the younger boy is crying his heart out, strong hiccups making Joonmyeon’s chest also tremble. “You have to tell me what is wrong Kyungsoo-yah. I’m not understanding anything.”

“Jongin is gone.” Kyungsoo forces himself to say, words half muffled against Joonmyeon’s pyjama shirt.

“What? From where?”

“From home!”

Joonmyeon is really confused by now, so he gently pushes Kyungsoo away by his shoulders and tries to get a more understandable answer. “From what home? What are you saying, Kyungsoo-yah?”

“Mine!” Kyungsoo’s breath hitches every couple of words which makes it difficult to talk clearly, but he pushes himself harder to better explain the situation. He needs to get his message across. Kyungsoo clenches his fists in Joonmyeon’s covers, the feeling of Jongin slipping between his fingers too unbearable to stand. “Jongin has been living with me inside the wardrobe, but now he’s gone.”

What?” Did Joonmyeon hear him right?

It’s not possible, is it?

“We- we had a fight hyung. And he was mad with me and left! But we need to find him. He’s in danger!”

“Left where?” Living together. They were living together? Joonmyeon’s mind provides him with consecutive flashes of Jongin’s strange relationship with Kyungsoo. The other boy wearing Kyungsoo’s clothes. Kyungsoo knowing so much about him. The medicine. Jongin appearing and disappearing at Kyungsoo’s birthday party without a single trace. Jongin appearing on their hall floor out of nowhere. How is this possible? In the wardrobe?

“I don’t know! I don’t know! I just want him back! Hyung that man- that man that hurt you” both boys shudder at the memory, “was after him! We need to find him!”

“Jesus Christ.” Joonmyeon doesn’t need to be told twice. Everyplace that man can be is a place where any kid shouldn’t be. He pushes Kyungsoo away and gets out of bed, screaming, “Mum! Dad! Mum I need you!”

Joonmyeon runs out of the bedroom to search for his parents and Kyungsoo follows him as quick as he can, falling off the bed in his hurry but getting up right away and continuing.

After hearing their son’s screams, both parents were already in a haste to get to the boy’s bedroom so they meet each other midway, in the corridor.

To all his credit, Joonmyeon tries to be brief and concise, ever with a sense of urgency, starting by explaining about the boy’s mysterious appearance at the park and his apparent serious problems. Kyungsoo grabs his hand and cries as quietly as he can, praying in his heart that this is the solution when once before he was so afraid of telling adults about Jongin.

Even though Joonmyeon doesn’t know the whole story, he doesn’t need to anymore. In his head, it became simple, Jongin was someone that needed help and Kyungsoo in his innocence had tried to help him. Most certainly mistakes were made, that’s why Jongin ran away, but the important part right now is to find the missing boy.

And to all their credit Joonmyeon’s parents believe their son without a second blink. Granting with very displeased expressions, but even so in less than twenty minutes the Kim family is dressed warmly and ringing the Do family house to explain everything to much more displeased and astounded parents.

Contrary to Joonmyeon’s parents, Kyungsoo’s parents’ priority is to punish their misbehaved son, that only being avoided by Joonmyeon’s intervention and consecutively his father’s too, as they hide the small boy behind their backs until they can calm down Mr. Do.

 

A lot of discussion is done between the adults with only Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon’s small participation allowed. A lot of time goes by in the meanwhile too.

 

It’s been two hours and fourteen minutes since Jongin left.

Right now, Kyungsoo has no nails left to bite, no tears left to cry even if the sounds and motions happen from time to time, and is about to pull all his hair out. The parents are trying to decide if they should call the police or look for Jongin themselves – the last option strongly supported by Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon – but it’s hard to make them come to an agreement.

It’s Joonmyeon that makes their parents decide in the end. He puts on his jacket and gets ready to leave alone (Kyungsoo scrambles behind to copy him) informing his parents that if they aren’t going to help them look for their friend, he is going to do it himself alone if necessary.

Their parents finally consent to begin the searches themselves. It’s decided to look for Jongin separately, as two cars can increase their chances of finding him.

They start by driving on the streets around their apartment complex. Kyungsoo guides his parents to pass by the barber shop and in their car Joonmyeon makes his pass by the street next to the alley where they were attacked as well as the shops where they bought Jongin’s birthday presents and the pastry shop where they celebrated his birthday.

Nothing. He wasn’t anywhere.

They extended their search perimeters, going to further streets and checking all parks. That’s when they find him – a lonely small boy, shrunken tightly on himself, sitting on a park bench.

Kyungsoo’s parents immediately call Joonmyeon’s and wait until the other car arrives to do something together. Kyungsoo doesn’t even find it in himself to protest and anxiously waits for Joonmyeon in the backseat, looking at Jongin’s distant figure from the car’s window. Now that he can see him, he feels like he can breathe again and suffocated for a whole new reason.

Kyungsoo is scared. He’s scared that he might mess up again and make Jongin disappear for good, so he waits for Joonmyeon, because hyung will be able to explain to Jongin that he can’t run away anymore, that they like him very much here and he should stay.

As soon as Joonmyeon parents’ car parks in front of Kyungsoo’s both boys are the first to get out of the car. The older boy only gives a brief glance in Kyungsoo’s direction and hurries his steps to meet the lonely boy on the bench, leaving all parents behind. As he walks in Jongin’s direction he extends his right hand out and waits for Kyungsoo's that he knows it’s coming to hold his. It’s Joonmyeon’s responsibility to fix this situation and bring Jongin safely back home with them. It’s not right for such a young boy to be out here alone, especially when he already has people that love him. He pulls his younger neighbour closer to himself unconsciously.

Kyungsoo’s holds Joonmyeon’s hand tightly. He is searching for strength and reassurance in the older boy. Promises that their story could have a happy ending that seems so impossible to happen at the moment.

Jongin senses them approaching, waking up from his slumber and raising his head from being nestled on his arms to look attentively at the two boys as they come closer and closer.

Kyungsoo had only been separated from Jongin for no more than six hours and even if many times before when Kyungsoo was at school they had been separated for longer than this, today it felt different and his heart misses him dearly, beating several beats faster at the presence of the boy. He longs for his friend. He wants to make everything right again and just have this day end, so he can fell asleep with Jongin in his arms. “Jongin-ah,” he tries to call him, to tell him Kyungsoo will do better, everything, whatever it is, he will do it, but his vision starts to blur and instead of words his mouth lets out a hiccup.

“What are you doing here?” Jongin doesn’t give him a chance to try to finish and the look that he is giving Kyungsoo makes his chest ache badly with the rejection.

“I'm sorry-”

“How did you know where I was?”

“We have been looking for you.” Joonmyeon quickly supplies.

“I'm not coming back.” Jongin declares and then noticing the four adults approaching, hastily stands up. “Did you tell your parents?” He points out accusatory.

“Hyung did,” Kyungsoo tries to defend himself. He would never do something to harm Jongin intentionally! But Jongin has never talked to him like that before and suddenly Kyungsoo feels lost. The other boy doesn't trust him anymore and he doesn’t know what he can do to make the situation better so he forgets what he is about to say, too afraid to anger Jongin more.

From behind the boys, in an unspoken agreement all parents observe the interaction without intervening. Undoubtedly, the situation is too serious to be handled by children, but at the same time, it was the children who handled it until now and it seems that there’s a lot they don’t know about what really has been happening right under their noses, so they want to observe and try to fill in the gaps of the lacking information.

“We aren't going to do anything you don't want to Jongin-ah,” Joonmyeon tries instead.

“Yeah? Let me go then. Don't come looking for me again and let me go now. Please.”

Those words are the last straw for Kyungsoo's beaten emotions after the mad ride they had today and he breaks down. “I'm sorry! I will clean my own crumbs! I promise!” His breath hitches and his chest rises and falls at a very alarming pace, close to hyperventilating as tears run freely down his cheeks. “Please, Jongin-ah!” Kyungsoo grabs Jongin's arm in fear he would run way and he wouldn’t see it because of his blurred vision.

Jongin goes pale at Kyungsoo reaction, feeling the floor escaping from under his feet. To see people he liked crying still means pure agony for him, but it wouldn't be the first time someone cries because of him, promising him a better tomorrow. It doesn't mean they kept their promises. “Why are you crying, Kyungsoo-yah?” Jongin reaches shaking fingers to clean the other boy’s tears with his free hand. He likes Kyungsoo very much, the other boy has been the closest friend he’s ever had and even if he doesn’t believe his promises anymore, he doesn’t want to see him sad. “Don't cry.”

Kyungsoo fits his head in the crock of Jongin’s neck and hugs him with one arm around his middle while he uses the other to grab his own chest, the pain there too immense to be bearable any longer. “Please don't go. Please, Jongin-ah. I will do everything you want. Just don't go. Don’t leave me.” Kyungsoo words get weaker with each new sentence, the last one being just a whisper.

Kyungsoo’s extreme reaction is leaving Jongin speechless. He tries to calm his friend down, patting his back in a soothing way. “It's okay, Soo. Don't cry.”

On their side, Kyungsoo's parents watch their son’s behaviour perplexed. Never before did they witness him in such a wretched state because of a friend, making them only more intrigued about how this situation progressed so much without their knowledge.

“You forgive me?”

“Yes. It's just crumbs. No one was hurt.” Kyungsoo raises his head to look at Jongin in the eye. It doesn't look like a lie but it doesn't look like Jongin is agreeing to follow Kyungsoo back home either.

He looks at his hyung asking for guidance and help in a silent plea and quick to understand Joonmyeon comes closer. “It's really cold tonight, isn’t it? You are going to turn into an ice sculpture out here.” Joonmyeon looks carefully at Jongin’s face measuring his reaction to make sure his message isn’t worsening the situation. “Even if it's just for tonight, come with us please. Kyungsoo is so worried about you and so am I.” He sees Jongin about to protest so Joonmyeon rapidly continues. “You know, the first time I saw you at the park I got really worried because back then you looked very sick and weak, but now you look so good. Very much alive and healthy. You don't deserve to be alone on the street, Jongin-ah. We can find a solution together. You can sleep at my home if you prefer tonight and tomorrow we will all talk and find a solution. How does that sound?”

It sounds scary.

It sounds too good to be true, so it must be a lie. But why is it when the words come out of Joonmyeon’s mouth, Jongin doesn’t find it in himself wanting to doubt? “You promise I can make my own choice?” More promises and Jongin knows how those work already, yet when he looks at Joonmyeon while feeling Kyungsoo huddled in his arms, there’s nothing he wishes more than to believe.

“We will hear you out, Jongin-ah, and together we will find something.” Joonmyeon tries to reach for Jongin’s hand carefully, hoping he will not be refused.

Slowly Jongin lets his shaking hand fit comfortably in the older boy’s grasp, feeling it strong and secure. On his other side, Kyungsoo holds his other hand tightly, head still half on top of Jongin’s shoulder. Jongin faces their parents with rising fear, walking half a step being Joonmyeon as the older boy pulls him in their direction.

A few words between the older boy and the parents are exchanged until it’s agreed to let all three boys sit together in one of the cars, Joonmyeon pulling the two younger to his parents’ car and all sitting in the backseat without breaking their joined hands.

No one says a word, Jongin’s discomfort very much evident and palpable in the confined space of the car. That’s why Joonmyeon’s mother turns on the radio to a soft commercial song, helping the atmosphere to get lighter. Kyungsoo lets his head rest on top of Jongin’s shoulder, whispering in the other boy’s ear how much he likes him and how he shouldn’t run away because they can work things out. Kyungsoo is going to listen to Jongin’s opinion from now on, he promises the other boy. And he knows in his heart that he is being honest, the risk of losing Jongin was scary enough to remember for a lifetime.

Between his two friends Jongin relaxes and takes deep breathes in relief, appreciating the warmth that the car’s heater offers, after being so long outside in the cold.

Although the ride isn’t long, the events of the night and the very late hour start to weigh on all three boys and they fall into a deep sleep, not noticing when the car parks and Joonmyeon’s parents get out.

Mr. Kim opens the door of his son’s side and carefully disentangles him from the boy in the middle and takes him out, raising him in his arms. Joonmyeon’s mother helps rearrange the already too big to carry boy in her husband’s arms and covers his back with an extra blanket from the car.

On the other side of the car, Mr. Do goes through a similar process with Kyungsoo, having less trouble than Mr. Kim due to his son’s smaller body. Both men halt all movements when they notice the third boy still in the car, and they look at each other lost not knowing what to do about him.

Kyungsoo’s mother vaguely remembers this boy though, from Kyungsoo’s birthday party – the polite lonely kid that helped her take the plates back to the kitchen without saying a single word. She pulls him carefully out of the car and asks her husband for his back. Mr. Do is already in the middle of a protest when she points out that Mr. Kim already has too much weight on his back thanks to his older and bigger kid, so the tired man complies without further complains.

They carry all kids to the Kim’s apartment – the older kid having a bed big enough for the three – and lie them down, Mr. Do needing help easing Jongin off of his back. Mr. Kim then takes his son’s shoes off the boy’s feet and goes out of the room, taking the shoes with him to abandon at the entry. He appears at the bedroom doorway some instants after inviting Mr. Do for a beer and effectively leaving the women to snuggle the boys alone.

Each mother quietly attends to her respective boy and when Joonmyeon is already without his jacket, gloves and scarf, head softly cushioned on the pillow, his mother starts to attend the extra boy in between the other two. “Don’t be so harsh on our Kyungsoo.” She speaks gently to not disturb the boys. “It’s not every boy that would do something as this. Only the very special ones.”

“Yes, only the very special troublemaker ones, you mean.” Kyungsoo’s mother bitterly chuckles in a low tone as she tenderly takes her son’s gloves off. She is very angry at her son for hiding a boy in their house, the possible legal consequences that they can face against the boy’s institution for hiding him are too scary to even think about, yet she’s even more disappointed in them as parents. How can a boy be living with them for who knows how many months and they never even suspected it?

“It’s because he has a very big heart. Always had.” Joonmyeon’s mother has a soft smile marking her light crinkles as she takes Jongin’s shoes off. It’s hard to understand what really happened, but if it was done to take this lonely kid off of the street then it mustn’t have been wrong.

“But I have never seen my son cry like today. Remember when he used to cry every time Joonmyeon had to go back home?” By now Kyungsoo is also ready so his mother helps attend to Jongin’s upper body by taking off his jacket.

“My Joonmyeon would come home heartbroken asking me if he could live with Kyungsoo.” Joonmyeon’s mother remembers, eyes unfocused half lost in memories.

“Right? But today…” Kyungsoo’s mother neatly folds the boy’s jacket and puts it by the foot of the bed. “How could something like this happen? Where did this boy come from?”

“I don’t know, but it all feels very sensitive. Joonmyeon wanted to find this boy in such an obstinate way as I never had seen him before.” Joonmyeon’s mother says as she pulls the covers over the boys. “I don’t want to hurt the boys. Let’s let them sleep.”

Kyungsoo’s mother goes back to her place beside her son on the bed. “What could we do about this situation?” She asks as she arranges the covers on her side of the bed.

“I’m afraid to even think about it.” The other woman admits. “I don’t see any possible good solution. If he has parents he has to go back to them and if he hasn’t he probably ran away from some institution that is looking for him right now, so there isn’t much we can do.”

“I was thinking the same thing,” Kyungsoo’s mother agrees. “I guess no one is going to sleep much tonight.” She adds as an afterthought while observing Kyungsoo while he moves to a more comfortable sleeping position, hugging the new boy.

 

By the time the women get out of the boys’ room the night is almost over and everyone agrees that the best thing to do is as an exception to let the boys be at home for a day.

Therefore, the boys are allowed to not go to school, instead they stay with Joonmyeon’s mother at home while the other parents make an effort to go to work even if they barely slept, and when everyone gets back home they are going to have a reunion and talk about the new boy’s future.

 

Expecting the boys to be up for lunch, Joonmyeon’s mother prepares a big meal with many side dishes including Joonmyeon’s and Kyungsoo’s favourites and because she doesn’t know the new boy preferences, she hopes that with the big offer he can find something that he likes.

However not a single boy gets up and a bit disappointed after all her hard work, she ends up having to save everything in the refrigerator.

 

It’s the middle of the afternoon when a confused boy with messy bed hair gets out of Joonmyeon’s bedroom. From the living room where the woman is working, she hears careful steps in the hallway and that’s why she knows it’s neither of the boys that are used to walking around the house.

The woman goes to meet him and softly points him to the bathroom and to where he should go once he’s finished. She notices right way his stiff posture and obvious distrust, so she tries to be as careful and gentle as she can, almost as one would do to a wounded wild animal.

While she waits for the boy to come, she starts heating up the food, therefore when he tentatively enters the eating area there’s already a huge offering of food at the table.

The woman tries her best to make the boy feel welcomed and relaxed, but every single word he speaks is so hard to bring out of his mouth and the distance that he clearly makes between them doesn’t leave space for much that she can do. At least he eats happily, she notices. The woman takes the chance to put some extra pieces of the egg rolls that seems to be his favourite in his bowl.

Not prepared for the action, Jongin freezes, arm in the mid movement of taking food to his mouth. He remembers his mother doing the same thing for him a long time ago and he misses it so badly. Jongin’s fingers shake as he sets down the meat he formerly intended to eat on his bowl and takes one egg roll instead to his lips. He feels his eyes sting and focus on chewing the food in his mouth to prevent something he doesn’t want to happen, such as crying in front of the pretty lady.

Joonmyeon’s mother is about to speak when, thankfully for Jongin, noise is heard from down the hall, breaking the moment.

A messy Kyungsoo with a Joonmyeon in tow appear a moment later at the door, greeting them. They are fast to find a place at the table and with a much more joyful energy than the already present boy, they fill the room with warmth.

While they start to eat, Joonmyeon’s mother goes to the kitchen to bring more warm food for the newly arrived boys and when she comes back she’s met with three smiling boys having a comfortable chat between them while they eat happily. Right before she enters she catches Kyungsoo putting more egg rolls in Jongin’s bowl and contrary to the reaction that the boy had with her, Jongin smiles and shyly thanks Kyungsoo.

The woman quietly sets more food on the plates while she observes the boys more carefully now, especially Kyungsoo and the new boy’s interaction. In some ways, she thinks she understands Kyungsoo now, when this boy was so willing to depend on Kyungsoo and not on anyone else, it would have been cruel to abandon him. This conclusion only leaves her more troubled, because Jongin’s destiny is not to be close to any of the boys at the table, but back where he belongs.

 

Hours later, the postponed conversation about Jongin finally happens.

In the Kim’s living room, the two couples and three boys try to come to an agreement about what to do. However instead of the smooth rational conversation that Joonmyeon hoped for it’s been Kyungsoo’s angry parents’ fight with their son about him hiding a boy in their house and adults asking inquisitive questions to Jongin about his past.

To the point where the boy, in his attempt to look invisible and moving further away from the parents and closer to his only refugee in the unknow room, is now sitting completely behind Kyungsoo, his face and upper body completely hidden behind his friend.

Joonmyeon also takes notice of how anxious Jongin is and moves to sit on his other side, trying to bring comfort with his presence and gentle pats on the other’s knee. He is very displeased with their current situation. He had expected more understanding.

From the parents’ perspective, some points have been cleared until now though. Jongin is an orphan. He ran away from an institution because he didn’t want to be adopted again. He has been living in the Do’s house for four months, since October. Before that he lived on the street and was not well, that’s why when Kyungsoo found him he brought him home. Kyungsoo hid the boy in the wardrobe. They fought and that’s why Jongin ran away again.

Multiple times Kyungsoo tries to bring up the possibility of Jongin still living with him. They could make Kyungsoo’s room a shared bedroom for the two of them and they have the means to support Jongin because if he lived there for four months and no one even noticed it’s because it’s possible. Kyungsoo even offers to abdicate his allowance money to help support his friend. However, with each new reason Kyungsoo finds and shares with his parents to keep Jongin, it’s only a new reason for Kyungsoo to be shouted at with new promises of punishments. His father even adds that Jongin’s actions reflect how unstable he is because he runs away at the first sight of problems and so it would be hard for any parent to have him.

Kyungsoo eyes sting with the unfairness and despair and he just wants to get up and kick the table every time someone brings up that they shouldn’t wait any longer and call some institutions directly.

Joonmyeon comes up with what he thinks is a reasonable argument in his mind to have with Mr. Do for his careless words about their friend, when he feels cold fingers pulling his neck down until his ear is touching lips. “Let me go, before someone calls the police.” A trembling voice asks him.

Joonmyeon feels his heart quiver inside his chest. How can Jongin’s only solution to be free be to live on the street?

That’s when something clicks inside his brain.

He reverts their positions gluing his lips to Jongin’s ear this time. “Do you like me?” He asks.

Wide eyes share a brief glance with him before a timid nod confirms.

Feeling self-assured with the approval, Joonmyeon asks against Jongin’s ear again, “Would you accept to be my brother and live with my family?” He hears a gasp before he creates some distance between them and has a change of looking at Jongin’s stunned expression. The other boy is breathing through his mouth and Joonmyeon feels his fingers shaking against his leg. He doesn’t speak or makes any other movement though, so Joonmyeon waits.

Sweat gathers on his forehead and his muscles get stiff from the pressure Joonmyeon is making on them, but he thinks he is about to hear the most important reply in his life so he waits without adding anything else.

After several beats Jongin reacts. ‘For real?’ his lips move and form the words without making any sound.

“For as long as you want me.” Joonmyeon promises against the other’s ear.

With a perplexed expression, Jongin gives him another nod. From Jongin’s other side Kyungsoo has been busy fighting with his dad, but the dumbfounded look he gives Joonmyeon confirms that he heard the key part.

Kyungsoo’s eyes go between Jongin and Joonmyeon a couple of times. Can this be possible?

He doesn’t want to let go of Jongin, but he would still be here at least, so it’s the second-best thing they can have. Kyungsoo’s throat feels dry and he swallows down the lump. It’s their last chance. He gives a nod to Joonmyeon, so the other knows he has Kyungsoo’s support that he seems to be waiting for.

Okay, so he has both of their approvals, now it comes the hard part. Joonmyeon takes a deep breath and prepares for the match that he is about to have. Once he’s mentally ready he lets out, “I want a brother.” Loud enough for the all room to hear.

Momentary diverged from the problem at hands, everyone looks at Joonmyeon confused.

Mr. Kim is the first to address him, already used to the many years he has been hearing the request, the man replies almost robotically by now. “We discussed this already, we can’t have anymore more children. Another pregnancy could put your mother in danger and we can’t do something like that. It’s about time you stop asking that.”

“No, no. Not like that dad.” He reaches his hand for the boy behind Kyungsoo. “Jongin. We could keep him, like ours.”

Immediately focused on his son’s dreadful words, Mr. Kim utters, “It’s not that simple, son.”

Joonmyeon doesn’t believe him. They have wanted another child since forever and here is one that needs a family. “It is that simple. You just have to sign some papers. They come verify that we have the conditions and he is ours. To keep.”

“We can’t.” His father is fast to deny this time.

“Why not? We have the space. We always wanted another child and here he is. An extra child that somebody else didn’t want. It’s perfect.”

“I…” At the lack of a more consistent comeback, the man clears his throat. His son is putting him in a hard position and he doesn’t really know how to act.

Joonmyeon’s mother surprises all when in a very open-minded way she asks, “Will we like him?”

“He is very likeable,” Kyungsoo promptly answers.

“Kyungsoo, don’t you dare say another word. You have done enough as it is.” Mr. Do reprimands his son right away too, not wanting anything to do with such a troublesome choice.

“He is very polite and quiet and kind. He loves justice very much too.” Joonmyeon smiles at his mother, unsure if he’s doing a good job of properly presenting Jongin. “Perhaps if you talk to him?”

His mother looks at his father in a silence plea of cooperation and the man gives a look at the boy peeking from behind Kyungsoo at him, before nodding and giving his wife permission to bring the boy. She smiles back at Joonmyeon asking, “Could we talk to him?”

Kyungsoo is the one pushing Jongin from behind him and making him stand up in from of Mr. Kim, even before Joonmyeon can voice out any request.

As soon as he is in front of the parents, Jongin feels very intimidated and looks at the floor, he also grasps Kyungsoo hand before the other has a chance to withdraw back to the sofa, not wanting to be alone with any of the adults in this room.

Mr. Kim takes in the timid boy in front of him analysing him very carefully as he hasn’t had a chance to do so until now. Not much shorter than his own son, although he is three years younger, and from what his wife told him that she had witnessed he is a good friend and companion. There is potential as a younger brother for Joonmyeon, but adoption?

It’s Joonmyeon’s mother that keeps on surprising, taking the lead on the conversation. “You ran away because you didn’t want a new family?” The boy answers with nod. “But do you want a new family now?”

Jongin weights the lady’s words carefully before giving his reply. “I don’t want another family that could leave me behind again.”

Fear of abandonment, she thinks. That’s why he didn’t trust her or any adult by that matter. Maybe what this boy is missing the most is a stable family environment that can love him and care for him. She trusts her son the most and if Joonmyeon is even suggesting something as serious as this, it must be because he truly believes it can work and because he really likes this boy. Perhaps life didn’t let her have any more children because it was already sending one in her way.

She looks at her husband, almost feeling pity for what she is about to tell him knowing how bad he deals with changes and gently holds his hand between hers. “I would like to try. I think we are ready for a bigger family. Could you accept something like that?” She whispers making it the most private it could be in a room full of people.

In the instance his wife takes his hand Mr. Kim already knows he has lost the cause. How can he refuse his family? He gazes at the boy again, now holding hands with his son too, as he looks reservedly at him. Jongin appears to be very precious for his Joonmyeon and he loves or likes everything that his son does, including that pocketmon thing, so maybe, maybe he can like this boy too, as a son. As his own son. “Do you have a family name?” A shake of the head confirms his suspicions. Kim Jongin sounds nice. He could fit as a Kim, the man decides in his head.

Thus, Mr. Kim squeezes his wife’s hand to let her know that yes, he is willing to try, and looks at his son, seeing the boy giving him one of his big smiles (his favourites ones). “We, the Kim family, would like to take you, Jongin. Do you accept that?” It was an important step, it requires formality, he reasons. Maybe he used too much though, as the boy appears utterly confused, so he adds, “To adopt you.”

As Joonmyeonhyungs brother?

“Yes, sweetheart, and as our son too.” Joonmyeon’s mother kindly adds.

In complete surprise, Jongin turns to the older boy, blurting “You really want me as a brother?”

From Jongin’s side, Kyungsoo takes the boy’s words as a personal offend and interjects, “Who wouldn’t want you as a brother? You are awesome.”

Joonmyeon ignores his younger neighbour and focuses on the boy looking at him expectantly. “I really want you as a brother, Jongin-ah. It’s one of my dreams.” He looks at Kyungsoo catching his mistake and corrects himself, “I have Kyungsoo and I love him very much as a brother, but I wish I could have more. Someone that would live in the room next to mine, that could go on family trips with me and I wouldn’t need to be alone again. Someone to forever be my best friend.”

“This is a big step, son.” Mr Kim warns. “This boy will have his own dreams and wants. And don't necessary will have something in common with yours or ours. He could even not be good at school.” Mr. Kim adds, trying to make sure his son really knows that once they decide about this, there is no going back.

“He is very smart! His favourite subjects are history and science. Jongin likes to read a lot too, he read all the books in my shelf! He's been doing my homework for the past months!” Again, Kyungsoo promptly intervenes.

A little bit surprised Jongin shares a small private smile with Kyungsoo, his chest feeling warm at knowing that Kyungsoo memorised all of that about him.

However, Kyungsoo’s parents aren’t as happy with the information. “He’s been what? You made him do your homework?” Mr. Do accuses his son.

“And that was the reason you wanted more new books?! And here I was, believing that my son had finally some sense of study!” Kyungsoo’s mother adds, equally mad.

“I… Maybe…”

About this Jongin completely disagrees so he steps up for the first time to defend Kyungsoo. “I liked to do his homework, it made me feel as if I could actually go to school. Kyungsoo would teach me like a teacher does what he learned in his classes, and after I had learned I could do the homework.” He stated a little bit proud at the work they did together over the last months.

Too perplexed to protest Kyungsoo’s parents just look stunned between the two boys whereas Joonmyeon’s parents laugh. “Maybe that's why your school grades improved. You memorise better while teaching, Kyungsoo-yah.” Joonmyeon’s mother adds playfully.

Kyungsoo blushes at the complement.

“Please don't support him.” Mr. Do, requests.

Kyungsoo is seriously unbelievable Joonmyeon thinks. First, he is advertising Jongin like if the boy is for sale and now he made him do his homework? Joonmyeon’s brain runs at the speed of sound, preparing the scolding speech Kyungsoo is going to receive after this is over. He feels Jongin's hand squeezing his as if his younger brother can read his mind and is trying to soften Kyungsoo’s scold. Joonmyeon gives up without putting any fight. After all, if it weren't for Kyungsoo, Jongin wouldn't be here and he is very thankful for that, so he gives a squeeze to the younger’s hand back.

Meanwhile, Jongin’s head was in a similar case of frenzy for different reasons. He especially liked Mr Kim’s words, his own wants and dreams sound amazing. If Joonmyeon is such a considerate person, most likely he has considerate parents?

Maybe he could try one last time. Next to Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon. Maybe, this time things can go better, but first, he had to make sure that the same problems from before wouldn't happen so he asks, “Do you have enough money to have two sons?” He questions seriously, his mind thinking of his first parents.

“We do.”

“But I will never be your true son.” He points out. “Neither your true brother.” He adds looking in Joonmyeon’s way, remembering his life with his second family.

Both Joonmyeon and his parents couldn’t understand what Jongin means, until Kyungsoo intervenes for the last time. “You are real to me Jongin-ah. It doesn’t matter what other people say, remember? They don’t need to know that you are adopted. You are ours.”

For the first time since they discovered about the boy his son brought home without permission, Kyungsoo parents feel at easy listening to their young son’s words. That troublemaker of a son that is theirs has a precious heart that even if so many times causes them problems, occasionally it makes his parents very proud. Nevertheless, he would still be grounded until summer for hiding another child without permission in his wardrobe for almost four full months and for not doing his own homework.

 

---

 

Author’s note: It’s over! Yay! Finally!

I’m very happy with the final result, I hope you readers are too :)

I’m very thankful for this work for being my first complete piece and for bringing me a very dear friend, Chrissy. It’s because of her that this last chapter was rewritten and it’s here now new and very much improved. To you, I will always be very thankful.

 

There is still missing the Epilogue, for everyone that’s interested.